Hangout Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [02]

Kylenhangen

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2020
Messages
141
Reaction score
2,361
Country
Turkey
Mine will be just a thought. I don't know anything about the situation. In fact, I think that he used the illness as an excuse, that he no longer had the motivation to write, so he did not continue the series and will not continue. If there is no motivation, there is no reason for him to write.

If we leave thought and return to reality, no matter how long readers want it to continue, it's his own personal business. I can't blame him, I can only thank him for creating such a excellent series.
 

Rizaadxn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2020
Messages
687
Reaction score
984
Age
23
Country
United Kingdom
It is a fair conclusion to have honestly. Togashi doesn't even bother to communicate with the fanbase. To at least say a few words about how he's feeling or how he's progressing with the chapters. It's just radio silence, zero fucks given.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,672
Reaction score
61,370
Gender
Male
Country
France
It is a fair conclusion to have honestly. Togashi doesn't even bother to communicate with the fanbase. To at least say a few words about how he's feeling or how he's progressing with the chapters. It's just radio silence, zero fucks given.
To be fair it's the case for most of WSJ series. One Piece is a big exception and it's rather recent probably because it's their number one. WSJ is getting better at this but yeah more communication would be great. It sucks to be in the dark like this for years.
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,533
Reaction score
21,586
Gender
Female
Country
China
likely because anything else but 'new chapters out soon!' wouldn't be taken well 😔
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
It is a fair conclusion to have honestly. Togashi doesn't even bother to communicate with the fanbase. To at least say a few words about how he's feeling or how he's progressing with the chapters. It's just radio silence, zero fucks given.
A fair conclusion when he specifically mentioned his health in his final author comment? Alrighty then.

You say he doesn't care because he doesn't bother to communicate with his fans, but he's never done so outside of WSJ author comments for the 15+ years of longer hiatuses.

And it's always curious how no one ever makes this argument for authors like Ai Yazawa (Nana - on hiatus since 2009). Hmm. I wonder why that is. Almost like memes have skewed people's perspectives so much that they are not only dead set on the "lazy/doesn't care" narrative, but actually suggest that he's now using his health issues as an excuse.

But that's what happens when selfish fans see a creator as a factory for content rather than as an actual human being.
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I honestly believe it's not out of lazyness. My bet is that He's unsure on how to continue. Sometimes, as a writer, you may outline a lot of what you want to happen and then realize the characters are doing something different. Maybe He's trying to connect with Dark Continent, maybe he's lost on how to close Royal Selection.

I'm inclined to believe that because this particular arc has a lot going on.
 

Kylenhangen

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2020
Messages
141
Reaction score
2,361
Country
Turkey
If the health problem is unsolvable, it will not be a problem for me if he says that he will definitely not continue and ends the series.

I can't understand the situation with the manga writers as I have not experienced it, but I can make a few guesses.

First of all, I don't know how the WSJ magazine's working conditions are, but when I see that writers have to publish a chapter every week, I find it inhumane.

Drawing manga is not an easy task. It requires constant hand use. There are many writers who have health problems because they draw manga. I'm not excluding Togashi here.

Manga cannot be defined by drawing alone. In this case, it is necessary to force the mind very hard. If we say design the story, write it, change the inconsistencies in the past, etc., the minds of the writers get tired as much as their hands.

If it is claimed that people who experience more headaches and headache-related illnesses than normal people are manga writers, I can accept this without question.

But the problem with this series is that there is no information about Togashi's condition. I don't care if we don't hear about the manga situation. Does anyone have up-to-date information about this person's health status? Probably no.

I specifically stated in my post. As a reader, I can't blame an author for not continuing the series. This is his personal matter.

There's nothing wrong with using your illness as an excuse, and I didn't think negatively about it. Maybe he is using this way not to upset his fans, or he may be waiting for a motivation to come again.

Also, I don't hate Togashi for not continuing his series. On the contrary, I respect it. I just have a little emotional resentment because of the big feelings that the series left me, but I definitely don't reflect it. I'm trying to look at things logically.
 
Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,672
Reaction score
61,370
Gender
Male
Country
France
A fair conclusion when he specifically mentioned his health in his final author comment? Alrighty then.

You say he doesn't care because he doesn't bother to communicate with his fans, but he's never done so outside of WSJ author comments for the 15+ years of longer hiatuses.

And it's always curious how no one ever makes this argument for authors like Ai Yazawa (Nana - on hiatus since 2009). Hmm. I wonder why that is. Almost like memes have skewed people's perspectives so much that they are not only dead set on the "lazy/doesn't care" narrative, but actually suggest that he's now using his health issues as an excuse.

But that's what happens when selfish fans see a creator as a factory for content rather than as an actual human being.
Because Togashi is the most popular of the authors on hiatus I guess. Bastard got an anime adaptation announced recently and the author has been on hiatus for longer than Togashi.

I honestly believe it's not out of lazyness. My bet is that He's unsure on how to continue. Sometimes, as a writer, you may outline a lot of what you want to happen and then realize the characters are doing something different. Maybe He's trying to connect with Dark Continent, maybe he's lost on how to close Royal Selection.

I'm inclined to believe that because this particular arc has a lot going on.
I honestly doubt Togashi is unsure about how to continue. He was pretty excited about this arc and wanted to break records. He made it very complicated on purpose.

I think it's health related.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
But the problem with this series is that there is no information about Togashi's condition.
I guess it depends on what you consider "no information". But I'll give it a go, fully expecting a "well, that's not enough information."

1991 (during the serialization of YYH)



Further confirmation from a former assistant who did a one-volume work about his time working for him.




Volume 21 comment (2005). Nothing specifically about his health, but just so that there isn't a big gap; it's also worth noting that Greed Island and early Chimera Ant are where the rough sketches in the magazine release started, most likely due to these issues + getting older; 2006 is when he started taking the longer breaks.



2016



He also mentioned that after a medical exam, he was able to avoid surgery, adding that he understands "the pain of people with a serious illness".

Ishida visiting Togashi in 2016. Togashi showing him how he lies on the floor when he does storyboards:



Because Togashi is the most popular of the authors on hiatus I guess. Bastard got an anime adaptation announced recently and the author has been on hiatus for longer than Togashi.
I left out Hagiwara since he does have a Twitter. I guess you could add Suzue Miuchi (Glass Mask) too. But you're 100% right that he's the most popular which makes him the biggest target.
 

Kylenhangen

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2020
Messages
141
Reaction score
2,361
Country
Turkey
I guess it depends on what you consider "no information". But I'll give it a go, fully expecting a "well, that's not enough information."

1991 (during the serialization of YYH)



Further confirmation from a former assistant who did a one-volume work about his time working for him.




Volume 21 comment (2005). Nothing specifically about his health, but just so that there isn't a big gap; it's also worth noting that Greed Island and early Chimera Ant are where the rough sketches in the magazine release started, most likely due to these issues + getting older; 2006 is when he started taking the longer breaks.



2016



He also mentioned that after a medical exam, he was able to avoid surgery, adding that he understands "the pain of people with a serious illness".

Ishida visiting Togashi in 2016. Togashi showing him how he lies on the floor when he does storyboards:

I assume you misunderstand me or I didn't explain my thoughts well(Probably this). First of all, I do not claim that Togashi does not have any health problems. I admit that the reason for the interruption of the series is health problems, after all, I cannot claim the opposite.

Considering that we do not have up-to-date information about Togashi's health, we may have various and different thoughts about why Togashi is not continuing the series now. It is quite normal to have opposing views as we do not have up-to-date information.

Edit1: I sent the first message according to the current time. Then I continued the messages according to the current time

For this reason, Togashi did not continue the series due to his illness, but since we do not have up-to-date information about Togashi's current health status, I think it is normal to have different opinions about the current situation.
 
Last edited:

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
I assume you misunderstand me or I didn't explain my thoughts well(Probably this). First of all, I do not claim that Togashi does not have any health problems. I admit that the reason for the interruption of the series is health problems, after all, I cannot claim the opposite.

Considering that we do not have up-to-date information about Togashi's health, we may have various and different thoughts about why Togashi is not continuing the series now. It is quite normal to have opposing views as we do not have up-to-date information.
I was addressing your "no information" comment, but it looks like you meant "no new information".

And in your initial comment, you wrote, "I think that he used the illness as an excuse". But hey, at least you also acknowledged that you don't know anything about the situation. Honesty is always important.
 

Kylenhangen

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2020
Messages
141
Reaction score
2,361
Country
Turkey
I was addressing your "no information" comment, but it looks like you meant "no new information".

And in your initial comment, you wrote, "I think that he used the illness as an excuse". But hey, at least you also acknowledged that you don't know anything about the situation. Honesty is always important.
I apologize for not being able to express my thoughts clearly/well. Yes, I was talking about the current time.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
I apologize for not being able to express my thoughts clearly/well. Yes, I was talking about the current time.
No need for an apology. Just trying to understand your thought process in reaching the conclusion of: yes, he's been suffering from health issues since his mid-20s, but now that he's in his mid-50s, he no longer is and is just using them as an excuse.

Although for that train of thought, what mention of his health issues are you referring to? Was he faking them in 2016 or when he mentioned his health in the 2018 author comment?
 

Kylenhangen

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2020
Messages
141
Reaction score
2,361
Country
Turkey
No need for an apology. Just trying to understand your thought process in reaching the conclusion of: yes, he's been suffering from health issues since his mid-20s, but now that he's in his mid-50s, he no longer is and is just using them as an excuse.

Although for that train of thought, what mention of his health issues are you referring to? Was he faking them in 2016 or when he mentioned his health in the 2018 author comment?
No. So Togashi was ill in 2016. Maybe he was still ill in 2018, but the conditions were right to continue, he continued the series whenever he had the opportunity.

In 2018, again he could not continue the series because the conditions were not suitable.

Since we have not been informed about his health status since 2018, I think so.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
No. So Togashi was ill in 2016. Maybe he was still ill in 2018, but the conditions were right to continue, he continued the series whenever he had the opportunity.

In 2018, again he could not continue the series because the conditions were not suitable.

Since we have not been informed about his health status since 2018, I think so.
I guess the language barrier may be an issue here, but by "the 2018 author comment", I mean his final one in which he said, "I've already written the name (storyboards) for the next 10 weeks, so I'm going to continue with the manuscript while consulting with my health and situation."

At the time, we were pretty hopeful since he had never said that he already had the storyboards done for the next 10 chapters. However, it's fairly clear that the health comment was the more important part of that comment.

Also, if I had to name the first thing that comes to mind that's different in the past few years, it would probably be that certain global pandemic.

I could see how you might speculate that maybe the pandemic has made it difficult to work with his assistants now, and how he's been struggling with his own health even more than usual, especially given his age. And when he specifically mentioned his health in his final comment, I'm not sure how you can say that he's now using it as an excuse. You seem to be dancing around that initial comment, and I'm still not sure what you meant by it.
 

Kanmuru

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
515
Reaction score
743
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Can't believe Elden Ring is coming out before Hunter returns :feelsbadman
 
Top