Archived The Hang Out Thread v 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon26

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
201
Reaction score
1
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mexico
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

For my final I had to cultivate a colony of bacteria,then with the help of some anti-biotic, cant remember the name,but I broke down the cell wall of th bacteria to inject some DNA that would make them glow in the dark. It was pretty cool I still have my dish and its really full of bacteria, I put some in the corner of my garden, so at night when I look out the window I see my garden glowing...its so cool.
That was in chemistry???!!!! That sounds like biology to me... or a really, really specialized organic chemistry class...

in the one year that i had chem, we had two contained explosions, and one uncontained. that was due to an idiot playing with magnessiam... sulfate, was it...? well, something with magnessium in it. anyways the kid burned off a good portion of the hair on the left side of his head, and had burns on his right hand and arm (which were also largly hairless)
I had one accident like that too... with Sodium and water. And we almost had an ugly accident with liquid nitrogen when trying to see the Ideal Gas law... Oh yeah, and another one in my house... I was trying to obtain Hydrogen so I putted some Hydrochloric acid in an Erlenmeyer flask and then dropped some Iron nails into it... but I has the stupid Idea of putting a lighter by the balloon (once it was filled with Hydrogen gas)... And many other accidents while distilling alcohol... Ahh memories... fire... FIRE!!
 

iThePirate

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
3,226
Reaction score
60
Gender
Male
Country
British Antarctic Territory

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

Ah thats cool with the explosions and stuff. Gotta be careful. The only cool things we ever did in biology were making ice cream and disecting a frog.
 

Impel Down

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
3,077
Reaction score
3
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

The only real use I had for chemistry classes is I used some of the info I remembered in my manga. And even then, I twisted laws and info a whole lot.
 

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,423
Reaction score
1,786
Age
119
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

I love chemistry lessons...especially when you mix different liquids together, and you have all these funny smells running all around, and yeah, mini-explosions in the test tubes :)
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

yomiko, you just had a sucky professor then. in the one year that i had chem, we had two contained explosions, and one uncontained. that was due to an idiot playing with magnessiam... sulfate, was it...? well, something with magnessium in it. anyways the kid burned off a good portion of the hair on the left side of his head, and had burns on his right hand and arm (which were also largly hairless)
dang, looks like I signed up for the wrong chemistry class :XD


ahhh, guys...it's rainy and fall-ish here today...perfect bookstore weather...I'm trying so hard not to let myself go because I know it will end in me buying twenty books that I don't have time to read anyway...but it's sooooo tempting :darn


ooohhh....I just remembered I still have a gift certificate that my brother gave me for my birthday!! :whoo

bookstore, here I come~~!!! :love :love :love
 
Last edited:

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

Just go to the bookstore get yourself a tastey looking cake or brownie and an expensive fuuny sounding cooffe drink and read to your hearts content. There isnt a bookstore in walking distance from where i stay but there is Tates the number 1 comicbook store in Florida down the street so I go there and read sometimes.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

dang, looks like I signed up for the wrong chemistry class :XD


ahhh, guys...it's rainy and fall-ish here today...perfect bookstore weather...I'm trying so hard not to let myself go because I know it will end in me buying twenty books that I don't have time to read anyway...but it's sooooo tempting :darn
<hr noshade size="1">
ooohhh....I just remembered I still have a gift certificate that my brother gave me for my birthday!! :whoo

bookstore, here I come~~!!! :love :love :love
Ah, books are so awesome. Especially if you find exactly what you're looking for :D

I wish I had a lot more money than I did when I went to Barnes & Nobles and Books-a-Million on Tuesday. Oh well, I have enough to keep me preoccupied right now anyway.

Let us know what all you got!
 

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

Yeah the bookstore is cool. If I had money Id go to Books-a-Million in the mall. I've been meaning to get the Mass Effect book. It tells what happened before the start of the game. Cant wait for that game to come out.
 

Zwivix

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
864
Reaction score
19
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

That was in chemistry???!!!! That sounds like biology to me... or a really, really specialized organic chemistry class...
Yea, I didnt think it involved much chemistry, but my professor got a special lab package from the company Amen, for all of you that dont know about the biotech company click here. Sicne the company is near to my hometown(about 15min) my professor got the lab and decided that we should do it. It did have some concepts of Chemistry, but mostly it was Biology,which I also love so it was fine with me.

Thank you :beer
yup havent had any vacation yet -_-;
Wow, well i've heard that with all the pressure of the job chefs become drunks (maybe we are too late for that :beer) and also get addicted to drugs. did you take those things into consideration when you became a chef?
 

iThePirate

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
3,226
Reaction score
60
Gender
Male
Country
British Antarctic Territory
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

Wow, well i've heard that with all the pressure of the job chefs become drunks (maybe we are too late for that :beer) and also get addicted to drugs. did you take those things into consideration when you became a chef?
nah thought about the whole drug/alcohol addiction thingy but doesnt really bother me, my headchef says i can be as drunk or high as i want to aslong as i can do my job :XD

kiddin aside i only drink, never done drugs never will neither :noworry

on the alcoholic part i have some friends n my family keepin an eye on me in case i'd start driftin to a bad place :D
 

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

Thats good we should all have a family like that. Im very lucky to have been raised by a strong mother who sometimes struggled to support us but also tried to keep us from getting in trouble like those around us.
Anyway my cousin just got into shcool for colinary arts and I wanna know if you have any advice for him cuz you are a successful chef.
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

Just go to the bookstore get yourself a tastey looking cake or brownie and an expensive fuuny sounding cooffe drink and read to your hearts content.
That's exactly what I did :amuse

Ah, books are so awesome. Especially if you find exactly what you're looking for :D

I wish I had a lot more money than I did when I went to Barnes & Nobles and Books-a-Million on Tuesday. Oh well, I have enough to keep me preoccupied right now anyway.

Let us know what all you got!
books are awesome, I agree :amuse and it's a good thing I get a 10% discount at Barnes and Noble, because of course I ended up spending more than I meant to :sweat

so anyway, what did I get...ahhh this is really going to show you guys just how obsessive I am...first I got Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino, he is an absolutely beautiful writer, and you might like this one, GK, if you haven't already read it. Basically, it's Marco Polo speaking with Kublai Khan towards the end of his empire, sort of a series of short memories about the cities he's visited.

I also got the new translation of The Idiot, by Dostoevsky, since I have the new one of Crime and Punishment, which I keep meaning to read, and I figure, you've got to follow up C & P with The Idiot; Orhan Pamuk's newest book since he won the Nobel Prize, which is actually a collection of essays called Other Colors, and the best edition of Ulysses, by Joyce, because the one I had to get for school was not the best edition, and since I want to finish it this winter, I decided I should finish it in style :smile-big

So anyway, there goes my food budget for the week, but oh well :XD
 

~Lilium~

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
1,519
Reaction score
8
Gender
Female
Country
British Antarctic Territory
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

thank you :D

thank you,
hell yeah in ONE year ive gone from apprentice to souschef, now that what i call advancement :D
now its time to celebrate with whats left in my bottle o'rum :XD
Hell yeah! From Nov. 1 Im the souschef!! :turtle

thats one helluva promotion!

:confetti
congratulations!!!! *sorry if its late :amuse* what kind of food do you cook?

That's exactly what I did :amuse



books are awesome, I agree :amuse and it's a good thing I get a 10% discount at Barnes and Noble, because of course I ended up spending more than I meant to :sweat
:thumbs i usually just rent them in the library though. I usually read books pretty fast and i remember them for a long time. i rarely reread books. so its usually a waste of money if i buy them... :( i did the the HP7 book this summer though! :XD *the ending was disappointing... :(*


I love chemistry lessons...especially when you mix different liquids together, and you have all these funny smells running all around, and yeah, mini-explosions in the test tubes :)
:glomp nami!

chemistry's my favorite subject!!! i'm thinking of majoring in chem engineering or business actually... :amuse
Yea, I didnt think it involved much chemistry, but my professor got a special lab package from the company Amen, for all of you that dont know about the biotech company click here. Sicne the company is near to my hometown(about 15min) my professor got the lab and decided that we should do it. It did have some concepts of Chemistry, but mostly it was Biology,which I also love so it was fine with me.
wow!:darn is that college chemistry? :blink
dooohhh....I just remembered I still have a gift certificate that my brother gave me for my birthday!! :whoo

bookstore, here I come~~!!! :love :love :love
was it just your b-day?
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

books are awesome, I agree :amuse and it's a good thing I get a 10% discount at Barnes and Noble, because of course I ended up spending more than I meant to :sweat

so anyway, what did I get...ahhh this is really going to show you guys just how obsessive I am...first I got Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino, he is an absolutely beautiful writer, and you might like this one, GK, if you haven't already read it. Basically, it's Marco Polo speaking with Kublai Khan towards the end of his empire, sort of a series of short memories about the cities he's visited.
Awesome! I do love the Macro Polo stories. Though he's been known to overexaggerate a few things XD

I also got the new translation of The Idiot, by Dostoevsky, since I have the new one of Crime and Punishment, which I keep meaning to read, and I figure, you've got to follow up C & P with The Idiot; Orhan Pamuk's newest book since he won the Nobel Prize, which is actually a collection of essays called Other Colors, and the best edition of Ulysses, by Joyce, because the one I had to get for school was not the best edition, and since I want to finish it this winter, I decided I should finish it in style :smile-big

So anyway, there goes my food budget for the week, but oh well :XD
But books provide food... for the mind, right? :amuse

Sounds like it was worth it in any event. Cheers!
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

Pirate, congrats on the promotion! :thumbs

And Hello everyone! I'm baaaaaaaack (again). There's gonna be a religious holiday tomorrow to celebrate the end of the fasting month. And that means there will be plenty of good food. Story(s) will be posted later. :D

I miss each and every one of you guys, even rabb. :glomp
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

ichiiiiiiii~~!!!!! :tackle

Just stories? How about pictures, too?! :amuse

and I think rabb's gonna go crazy. He hasn't killed a zombie in ages... :shifty
 

Velvet_Rain_Dropz

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Messages
2,042
Reaction score
68
Gender
Female
Country
Indonesia
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

@ Pirate: Congratz Pirate for becoming the Souschef! :confetti
You should try to cook something for us someday. :XD

@ Ichi: Welcome back ichi! :amuse Looks like you're going to do the culinary tour. :XD And py is right, you should post the stories and pic. :amuse
 

Zwivix

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
864
Reaction score
19
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: The Hang Out Thread v. 7

nah thought about the whole drug/alcohol addiction thingy but doesnt really bother me, my headchef says i can be as drunk or high as i want to aslong as i can do my job :XD

kiddin aside i only drink, never done drugs never will neither :noworry

on the alcoholic part i have some friends n my family keepin an eye on me in case i'd start driftin to a bad place :D
Yea i'm sure you'll do just fine. I'm glad your family supports you in everything you do.

One more thing for all you under aged members
wow!:darn is that college chemistry? :blink
No It was AP Chem..well i guess you can say it was college level, but it did that in High School
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top