Discussion Yamato’s Gender

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Alot of people are going to be pissed at Oda calling Yamato a woman in the new Road to Laughtale Volume

Maybe it's a wrong translation?
If there's no transphobia behind it, then I don't think majority of the people would have issue with Oda calling his own character a woman.
 

electricmastro

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 26, 2020
Messages
4,769
Reaction score
3,643
Age
30
Country
United States
That's quite interesting.
I'm curious to see how Oda will address this character from now on, after the "kabuki" structure.

I think there is enough evidence to call Yamato however you want at this point. 🤷‍♂️
Pretty much, I understand some translations have the concept art say something like "They can't find out I'm a woman." or "Is it so wrong to be a woman?"

Despite everything, I still don't get the feeling Yamato has abandoned her female birth gender, and isn't the same as Kiku either. It makes me inclined to think that final version manga Yamato indeed hasn't abandoned it, and simply just wants to carry on Oden's will and wanting freedom, but not at the cost of sacrificing her birth identity altogether.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

If there's no transphobia behind it, then I don't think majority of the people would have issue with Oda calling his own character a woman.
Apparently so since Kaido says son, even though Oda was the one who wrote that.

At this point, I don’t think either side is wrong to call Yamato male or female. There’s only so much one side can point to try to invalidate the other without leaving skeptics, but skeptics still persist. If any of the examples were really that obvious, then it would have been settled long ago like with Kiku, yet still some are pointing to things like Yamato taking a bath with men even though Yamato’s infobox said daughter, and try to explain it away as fast as possible even though Yamato hasn’t said she dislikes being called a daughter.

I suppose once again it will be left up to Yamato’s post-Wano thoughts after sailing away with Luffy and coming to terms with Oden to provide a possible “ultimate example” and show as to whether or not she has truly left behind her female birth gender.
 
Top