Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qukiqq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2023
Messages
761
Reaction score
1,352
Country
England
Yokai Buster Murakami (End of Serialization)
Yokai buster murakami is the only 2024 manga that I am sad seeing it axed and it is in my top 3 of the 2024 new manga.

Based on TOC and the sales (the absolute average for a debut) I think Himaten will live long enough
Long enough for what?

I don't think Himaten will reach its 1st anniversary.

The treatment this series got was so weird and I really hope they don't do it again. Let us all be honest: it would have been dead last every week without the fixed placement.

I have never seen such a hateful reception online for a series' debut, so much so that even without proper placements everyone and their mother knew that it was gonna die sooner than everything else.

My biggest question is... What was the plan for it?? For it to become an end of magazine mainstay? Why would they get the author to such a huge flop like Shugomaru for it? And besides, they had MULTIPLE gag series that would have done far better in the same spot.
The treatment it received isn't that weird , there have been manga before this and there will probably be gag manga after this to receive this treatment.

We also knew that Psych House and Hakutaku were immediate flops from chapter 1 based on the lack of engagement.

The plan for every series is to be a mainstay , this just failed to do so like many others. Authors come back from huge flops quite often, fusai naba and kirarazaka are other recent examples.

An end of the magazine gag manga needs to have a shorter page count. Chojo just wouldn't work.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,411
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
To change topics a little, I'm gonna say a few things about Murakami despite not having read even 1 chapter (so I won't be saying anything about the actual contents)

The treatment this series got was so weird and I really hope they don't do it again. Let us all be honest: it would have been dead last every week without the fixed placement.

I have never seen such a hateful reception online for a series' debut, so much so that even without proper placements everyone and their mother knew that it was gonna die sooner than everything else.

My biggest question is... What was the plan for it?? For it to become an end of magazine mainstay? Why would they get the author to such a huge flop like Shugomaru for it? And besides, they had MULTIPLE gag series that would have done far better in the same spot.

Top it all off with the actually really cool volume 1 cover that is straight up false advertising when it comes to the tone of the series and it just confuses me to no end.

Nobody here is even talking about it ending. Man.
Saito is out here cleansing Nakano’s legacy. About the only thing Nakano succeeded with his grand vision was Roboco.

Based on TOC and the sales (the absolute average for a debut) I think Himaten will live long enough
I’m thinking so as well. I give it at least a 1.5 year of serialization, which is still a pretty decent length for a second serialization after an axed debut.

Long enough for what?

I don't think Himaten will reach its 1st anniversary.
I’ll put in my chips and say it’ll manage past that. Anything more than 2 years might be a miracle.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I know it means nothing at this point but how the hell is Kagurabachi 11th
 

Hawke

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2024
Messages
709
Reaction score
1,927
Age
28
Country
Vandenreich
Kagurabachi 11th is funny and exactly what I thought they'd do to pad up other stuff. Very happy about the Shinobigoto ranking, and Astro being low makes me chuckle a bit but even I know it's not in any danger although I still think a long axe might be looming for it and a few others as mentioned before. I'm kinda falling a bit lower on Himaten, although I think it has the chance to do the funniest thing ever and have the lead not be the main love interest but instead just help our MC get with someone else, which I think would make it stand out in an era of romcoms in Jump and elsewhere.


Good riddance on Murakami though, I'm extremely happy it's cleared for something potentially far better. I love gag manga, and I've not dropped anything on Jump since I switched over to using mangaplus in 2021 instead of scans like the 2000s — but Murakami being the first manga I dropped really tells you how badly it rubbed me.

I also might be one of three people who thought Ichigoki was funny and good and should've had the Murakami treatment for further reference.
 

Nuesmoker

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 28, 2024
Messages
1,476
Reaction score
3,363
Age
27
Country
Italy
Question for current Yozakura readers: does it feel like the manga could end by the next batch? I have been wondering about that.
 

Bulju

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2023
Messages
611
Reaction score
1,384
Age
29
Country
Argentina
Man I can't believe I correctly predicted two authors returning in some capacity in 2024 at the beginning of the thread. What's funny is that one of them happened at the very beginning (Minya Hiraga) and the other at the literal last opportunity (Tsutsui).

As for the rankings, seeing Ichi in first place is a pleasant surprise. I've been enjoying it a lot but the online reception didn't seem that crazy to me.
Kagurabachi being so low feels weird but it's also not that shocking. This arc started off slow, so I expect it to rise up again once the hype moments start getting ranked.
Shinobi feels like it could go either way. We've seen series debut in the middle and immediately drop like a rock, and we've seen others survive and stabilize a bit higher. I'm gonna remain cautiously optimistic.
Kill Blue's got the lowest color page placement I've ever seen. I really doubt it's gonna survive the next batch at this point.
Finally, rest in piss Murakami.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,472
Reaction score
39,394
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Long enough for what?

I don't think Himaten will reach its 1st anniversary.
You're really underestimating this series for some reason, It's already 18 chapters, it has yet to have a bad ranking, it will do at the very least 15k in a month which is perfectly fine for a new series by a newbie, it would need a complete turn in the performance to not reach 50 chapters at this point.

Question for current Yozakura readers: does it feel like the manga could end by the next batch? I have been wondering about that.
If by the next batch you mean next year around February or something, yes, it could.
 

Kurama58

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 2, 2024
Messages
591
Reaction score
297
Age
25
Country
France
Kagurabachi fans really freaking out at the sight of the series not even being bottom 5 (it’s six last) is really funny, your series is the 2nd best seller of the magazine (no HxH and Ruri) lol why do you care about his toc
 

Nuesmoker

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 28, 2024
Messages
1,476
Reaction score
3,363
Age
27
Country
Italy
You're really underestimating this series for some reason, It's already 18 chapters, it has yet to have a bad ranking, it will do at the very least 15k in a month which is perfectly fine for a new series by a newbie, it would need a complete turn in the performance to not reach 50 chapters at this point.



If by the next batch you mean next year around February or something, yes, it could.
Thank you. The reason why I'm curious is because if it ends by then that would give a bit more leeway to other series maybe.
 

kitakaze

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2024
Messages
83
Reaction score
11
Age
29
Country
Vietnam
Do you think Nue exocist end in next batch or will reach 100th chapter and surviver?
 

KyuKyu555

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2024
Messages
333
Reaction score
196
Age
25
Country
Malaysia
Seeing the “Yokai Buster Murakami End” in bright red at the top of this page actually made me laugh out loud in surprise😂
 

KrenKren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2024
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
3,845
Age
21
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think Nue exocist end in next batch or will reach 100th chapter and surviver?
It's actually ending next chapter — writing has been on the wall for a while now, I'm afraid.
(No, it'll probably live a little while longer at least)
 

Hawke

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2024
Messages
709
Reaction score
1,927
Age
28
Country
Vandenreich
Question for current Yozakura readers: does it feel like the manga could end by the next batch? I have been wondering about that.
I'm hopeful it gets a proper ending but if it's just like what, about ~9 chapters I'm not so sure that'd be enough? I can see it rushing to make that alongside UU but I'd really hope both of these end on their own terms, although I doubt publishing rounds get delayed to accomodate this. I'm of the huge opinion taking that chance though is good, gives half the magazine more time to develop and potentially turn things around while letting established series naturally end instead of forcing axes and then kinda trapping us with multiple at-risk series.
 

Nuesmoker

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 28, 2024
Messages
1,476
Reaction score
3,363
Age
27
Country
Italy
Do you think Nue exocist end in next batch or will reach 100th chapter and surviver?
Call me biased but I think it can live relatively comfortably for the chapter 100 goal.

The story has been progressing yes, but it's also very much taking its time. We are just entering a new big arc.
 

kitakaze

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2024
Messages
83
Reaction score
11
Age
29
Country
Vietnam
Call me biased but I think it can live relatively comfortably for the chapter 100 goal.

The story has been progressing yes, but it's also very much taking its time. We are just entering a new big arc.
But Nue is bottom three in recent weeks?
 

TheRealTravisty

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2020
Messages
731
Reaction score
1,324
Age
39
Country
Canada
Here for my weekly UU celebration post. Top 5 with no colour pages for 19 weeks? You do you, baby. I still love you.

Also happy for Ichi the Witch and Hima-Ten, even though the latter has been kind of bland for me lately. (I don’t care for the new girl.)

And as for Murakami…
Well, you existed. But I agree with Nuesmoker—why you would give this end of magazine opportunity to someone who flopped so hard before is utterly mind boggling. They should be more careful with such decisions.
I only read the first 3 chapters and those were difficult to get through alone. I will say the character designs and first volume cover were fantastic. I hope the author still has his ONE PIECE spinoff to return to.

Last of all, welcome back Tsuitsui! We Never Learn deserved to be bigger! Can’t wait for the new series!
 

Qukiqq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2023
Messages
761
Reaction score
1,352
Country
England
You're really underestimating this series for some reason, It's already 18 chapters, it has yet to have a bad ranking, it will do at the very least 15k in a month which is perfectly fine for a new series by a newbie, it would need a complete turn in the performance to not reach 50 chapters at this point.
"at the very least 15k in a month"
I see it selling at most 15k

It would need to sell 6.5k~7k this week to reach 15k

I really doubt it's gonna survive the next batch at this point.
I personally don't think that it is gonna get axed next batch.

My prediction is that kiyoshi and hakutaku get axed and yozakura ends.

Do you think Nue exocist end in next batch or will reach 100th chapter and surviver?
No , it won't get axed next batch.
It will easily reach 100 chapters.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,472
Reaction score
39,394
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
"at the very least 15k in a month"
I see it selling at most 15k

It would need to sell 6.5k~7k this week to reach 15k
If it did 4.5k in 3 days that were heavily influenced by short stock, i think it can pretty well reach 6k/7k in the 2nd with a full week and normalized stock, let's see how it goes.
 

kitakaze

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2024
Messages
83
Reaction score
11
Age
29
Country
Vietnam
"at the very least 15k in a month"
I see it selling at most 15k

It would need to sell 6.5k~7k this week to reach 15k



I personally don't think that it is gonna get axed next batch.

My prediction is that kiyoshi and hakutaku get axed and yozakura ends.


No , it won't get axed next batch.
It will easily reach 100 chapters.
Answer me a question: If Nue surviver to reach 100 chap then why Nue is in bottom in recent weeks? Bonus: Bottom 3.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top