Society Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

kiddo7

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
931
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Austria
^By tolerate what do you mean? The way we go about it is simply to follow what the Bible tells us.
  • God loves us all, there for we should love each other
  • God detests incest and homosexuality
conclusion: Love the sinner hate the sin.
do we mistreat gays if we meant them? no!
do we make them feel unworthy of being in gods presence? no!
do we support or encourage their actions? no!

I guess you can call me a closed minded, conservative, radical for it, but this is what I believe in and this is how I was raised.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,224
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Roman Catholics do not accept gays no. That's also part of the reason why I don't practice anymore. So many priests have been found guilty of pedophilia with boys and girls, so it's disingenuous in some ways to be so anti-gay.

My Father was raised Methodist though, and I do know that supposedly they are more tolerant.
 

hunter71485

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
462
Age
41
Gender
Hidden
Country
Storm's End
hmmm.....

and what about the other religions?

how about our muslim friends? what do they think?
 

Bouland

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Kuwait
In Islam, Homosexuality is considered a major sin like adultery. In old times, the penalty for doing it may reach death (depending on martial status / circumstances). Nowadays, the penalty is only a fine or jail for few weeks.
But it is a fact that there are a lot of people here, in my country, that use homosexuality as a mean for not being able to have "straight" sex (having sex before marriage is absolutely a NO in our society) I would say it's about 5% if not more.

For me, I don't support homosexuality and I don't think it's something anyone should do. Maybe because I was brought up to be strict about those issues. So it's something stuck in my own personality. But even then I treat homosexuals like I would treat anyone else. So it's like what kiddo7 said "Love the sinner hate the sin"
I have 3 bisexual friends (2 of them are colleagues & married). Although I don't support what they're doing i still consider them close friends
 
Last edited:

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I would like to remind everyone to please be considerate of all people and beliefs while posting in this thread. There is no reason to be disrespectful towards any persons, regardless of whether or not their beliefs or lifestyles are in agreement with your own.

I hope this conversation will continue in a mature, respectful, and intelligent manner, something I believe everyone here is capable of doing. Thanks for your cooperation.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,273
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Roman Catholics do not accept gays no. That's also part of the reason why I don't practice anymore. So many priests have been found guilty of pedophilia with boys and girls, so it's disingenuous in some ways to be so anti-gay.
Not that I'm Catholic, but it's not really fair to condemn the whole religion on the disgusting acts of some priests. They know what they were doing were wrong and not what God intended for them to do. There are a lot of Catholic priests who are only in it for the prestigious aspect of the religion, and that's true of many other "priests" of other religions, too. I'd be willing to bet my reputation that there are FAR more "fake priests" than genuine ones in this world, no matter what the religion.

My main issue with Roman Catholicism is that they are more takers than givers in terms of wealth... and they don't always use their money for the right reasons.

I would like to remind everyone to please be considerate of all people and beliefs while posting in this thread. There is no reason to be disrespectful towards any persons, regardless of whether or not their beliefs or lifestyles are in agreement with your own.

I hope this conversation will continue in a mature, respectful, and intelligent manner, something I believe everyone here is capable of doing. Thanks for your cooperation.
Agreed, thanks Paper.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,224
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Not that I'm Catholic, but it's not really fair to condemn the whole religion on the disgusting acts of some priests. They know what they were doing were wrong and not what God intended for them to do. There are a lot of Catholic priests who are only in it for the prestigious aspect of the religion, and that's true of many other "priests" of other religions, too. I'd be willing to bet my reputation that there are FAR more "fake priests" than genuine ones in this world, no matter what the religion.

My main issue with Roman Catholicism is that they are more takers than givers in terms of wealth... and they don't always use their money for the right reasons.



Agreed, thanks Paper.
I wasn't condemning the religion as a whole GK, merely stating my opinion on that specific issue.

I think you're way off base thinking the majority are only into Catholicism for the prestige. Just like most Christians, Catholic priests and nuns take a vow of poverty. I spent a lot of time in Church and went through Catechism myself, so I've been in the presence of Priests, Deacons, and Nuns and I found none of them to be disingenuous people, living life off of donations or anything. I can't know for sure though. There was never any wrong-doing at my former parish as far as pedophilia or stealing church funds.

I think you're singling Catholicism out yet again saying they are more takers than givers. What of all these Mega Churches popping up in the country with million-dollar facilities? What of the dozens of televangelists selling blessed handkerchiefs and asking for donations every 5 minutes? The people who run these things are all extremely wealthy, and a dozen times more so than any Catholic priest, or any Minister or Reverend for that matter. People single Catholicism out like this because the religion as a whole is very wealthy and more centralized than other Christian denominations (e.g. The Pope, Vatican). Nowadays Churches are indeed ran more like businesses, especially these Mega Churches. That's why I think parishes shouldn't be tax-exempt anymore.
 

hunter71485

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
462
Age
41
Gender
Hidden
Country
Storm's End
uh, can i post a link here?

http://www.thebereans.net/

it is a commentary on the supposed cults and religions currently known today...
 

Bouland

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Kuwait
i felt i should clear things up

my intention in this thread is NOT to polish the image of Islam.

i will answer questions regarding Islam with facts in addtion of putting my own opinions in spoilers

so if you have a question that its answer will make Islam looks like a blood thirsting religion i'll be glad to answer it. my main objective here is to answer your questions regarding a religion you might not know a lot about.

it's NOT my intention to make you think that Islam is a "good" religion

so don't hold your questions even if you think that they might be unappropriate or may result a "clash"
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,224
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
uh, can i post a link here?

http://www.thebereans.net/

it is a commentary on the supposed cults and religions currently known today...
I know some Jehovah's Witnesses and some Mormans that would strongly disagree with being labeled a cult.

My Grandfather was a member of the Masonic Order and he would disagree as well.

Well maybe the word "Cult" has an unfair negative connotation when it comes to religion, as when the word is used with anything else it's connotation isn't negative. Who knows.
 

hunter71485

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
462
Age
41
Gender
Hidden
Country
Storm's End
@bouland
^^;; the retcon's not about you...

anyways, many thanks for the statements you gave about islam. there's so many things i do not understand about it, partly because of my lack of exposure.

@xi0
the apologetics' use of "cult" is based on their preception of a system's "(the bible) being used for their own gain". the word is actually used when a group is too small to be considered a major religion; or when it strikes difference to what the major religions say.
 

shigeki

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
4
Reaction score
6
Gender
Female
Country
Russian Federation
Salam to all... my first post!:D Having been lurking here for manga for a while (brilliant site btw), nothing particularly drew me into joining any of the forums, till I stumbled upon this one. I feel the urge to chip in as well, considering some of the interests shown towards my religion, Islam- especially since some were rather misconstrued and haven't been responded by any Muslim here. This is a couple of pages back, but still I'd like to clear it up :)

To be honest, I agree with ddadain's first post on many of the reasons that I myself am incredibly skeptical about Islam as a religion. It is the reason why I have not chosen to really participate in this thread so far, but as it is becoming an incredibly huge subject as far as world influence, I might as well say my piece about it. From having studied the origins of Islam, I ended up not seeing Muhammad as a particularly holy man since he started out as a friend of Jews and then betrayed them later on when they disagreed with him being the prophet. Contrast that with either Abraham or Jesus; to our knowledge, neither of them showed any malice towards other people. It was later people who hid behind both religions as a means of advancing their political and ambitious goals, something no true Judaist or Christian would have approved of - but they generally weren't in power because of their pacifist views. But for Islam, from all accounts, it started out as a semi-political movement that succeeded in earning Muhammad some semblance of power at Mecca.

To me, Judaism and Christainity are the true religions; there were not supposed to be any more prophets after the last one in the Bible. And no, Muhammad did not exactly act like a holy man in my thinking, especially when he massacred an entire Jewish tribe and sent all their women and children in slavery, out of spite. And he wrote some very unflattering things about Jews afterwards in the Koran as well, and he also changed the focus of worship from Jerusalem to Mecca - his home - almost to say that he is the one everybody should worship.

So I treat Muhammad as a flawed man that had some good ideas and some bad ideas, but basically as somebody who wanted to give the Arabs their own religion because he admired the Jews for their own devout worship while he lived with them in Syria. But I do not believe in the Koran as the "final words" of God, as I do not believe Muhammad was himself a genuine prophet - just a man trying to shake things up a bit for his own people. Which certainly succeeded.

Again, I mean no offense; I do not want to ruffle any feathers; I am just expressing my feelings about Islam, and why I will probably never treat it as a genuine religion. Just a man's philosphy. That does have nice things about it, but to this point, how the Muslim nations as a whole in the Middle East have historically, in the 20th century, reacted to Israel (and Palestinian refugees) does have me more than a bit skeptical about the merits of Islam. In short, it seems like overkill to me. Much as Puritanism and Catholicism, in some respects, have turned out to be throughout history, too.

And that's all I will say here about it. I hope I haven't offended anybody too deeply about what I've thought about it all this time.
First of all, the Quran was not penned by the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), it is a divine relation from God which had been conveyed to him in parts over the course of 23 years either directly or through the angel Gabriel. Any biography on him would attest that the prophet could neither read nor write, thus disputing the claims of his authorship. Hence all the "very unflattering things about Jews" came indeed from God himself.

Muhammad did not betray the Jews- on the contrary, the Jews were the ones who broke the alliance they had made in the constitution of Madinah (wherein, amongst others, they vowed to defend the city together with their Muslim counterparts from enemies and not to inflict harm on fellow Muslims).

A prime example would be Banu Quraizah, a Jewish tribe who conspired with the Meccan pagan Arabs in the Battle of the Trench. After their plans backfired, they were besieged by the Muslims and forced to surrender unconditionally. Upon deciding the penalty for their treachery, people from the Aus tribe (an native Arab tribe in Madinah) pleaded the prophet not to impose a harsh penalty, for many people from Banu Quraizah were their friends. The prophet thus proposed that the punishment be decided by the chief of the Aus tribe, Saad ibn Muaz, to which they all agreed. Saad then ordered all the men of Banu Quraizah to be killed, the women and children put to slavery.

Point one: the prophet did not massacre the tribe out of spite- in fact he already gave a chance for the chief of the Aus tribe to decide on the penalty.
Point two: the punishment, whilst might seem harsh to some people, was crucial to maintain peace and order in Al-Madinah. Even by today's standards, treason is regarded amongst the worst of crimes, which is liable to the penalty of death.
Point three: In the Torah itself, there were verses regarding the punishment of the killing of men n putting women n children to slavery during acts of war. (sorry can't quote 'em, they're not in English).

Clearly, you got your facts from a different source than mine (more likely from a Jewish or Christion point of views), and I'd say your facts are wrong and tampered with, and you'd probably say the same thing about mine.:amuse But there have always been conflicts in historical records, especially when elements of bias are involved, and, whilst I firmly believe in the version I've learned, I simply want to highlight the fact that what you read from one source isn't necessarily the truth. Try to dig infos from all sides before coming to your conclusion.:)

About the changing of direction of worship or qiblah- I think this has been discussed earlier in the forum, but allow me to reiterate. The change was, once again, an order from God- not dictated by the prophet himself. As stated in the Quran, the initial qiblah towards Baitul Maqdis in Jerusalem was a test of obedience from God to Muslims, for before Islam, Makkah had always been the direction of their worship, a place which they held in highest regard. Having proven their devotion (in spite of criticism concerning the similarity with the Jews), God thus ordered the change to their original sacred place of worship. I think it's rude and demeaning to carelessly comment that the prophet changed the direction as almost to say that everybody should worship him.

You probably won't be satisfied with my answers as you'd already had a very negative impression on Prophet Muhammad and the Quran. But your argument from the point of history in itself is debatable- conflicting data n all. As for Muslims not being pacifists, well, it depends on how you define the concept, and the relevance of it. We believe in non-violence, but if we are aggressed n persecuted, we are taught not to take it lying down. I think ddadain at some point earlier mentioned bout the verse in the Quran which commands killing of the non-believers. Now, I think this has been used by many a skeptic as the so-called proof that Islam condones violence. It's best if I state the translation of the verses concerning this matter for clarity:

"Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not, aggressors.
And slay them wherever you find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.
But if they desist, then lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrongdoers."
(Al-Baqarah: 190-193)


Clearly, the aforementioned verses refer to fighting as an act of self-defence only. Is it equal to violence? So if by this definition, Muslims are not considered as pacifists, and don't earn merits in the eyes of some skeptics, then so be it.

Sorry for the long, long reply...;) If there is any unclear part in my explanation or if there are further questions, please ask straightaway. Hope I didn't offend anyone.:)
 

ddadain

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
636
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
Why just point out one series of verses?

You should come clean. Else, someone will start quoting other verses that seems to say otherwise.

but begin not hostilities

What's the Muslim definition of "hostility". Apparently, "starting hostility" is anything to do with opposition to what YOU think is RIGHT.

When the United Nations decreed Israel as a nation, I believe the first to be hostile were the "peaceful" Muslims, or am I wrong? Is Jerusalem yours, or theirs? Their history seems to give them right over those lands, whereas the Muslim's claim is just because it's one of their "holy" places.
 

hunter71485

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
462
Age
41
Gender
Hidden
Country
Storm's End
@ddadain
When the United Nations decreed Israel as a nation, I believe the first to be hostile were the "peaceful" Muslims, or am I wrong? Is Jerusalem yours, or theirs? Their history seems to give them right over those lands, whereas the Muslim's claim is just because it's one of their "holy" places.
it's a political dispute, because the british promised both the jews and muslims (now palestinians) a homeland. the jews instigated a series of terrorism (before world war 2) to make the british side with them. and they did. the promise made to muslims wasn't "official", anyway.
 

helping

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
What's the Muslim definition of "hostility". Apparently, "starting hostility" is anything to do with opposition to what YOU think is RIGHT.
Apparently that’s your definition of “starting hostility” not the Muslim’s view. I am a Muslim and I don’t share your point of view on certain things but I don’t go shoving weapons in front of your face nor do I think most Muslim would approve of it.

When the United Nations decreed Israel as a nation, I believe the first to be hostile were the "peaceful" Muslims, or am I wrong? Is Jerusalem yours, or theirs? Their history seems to give them right over those lands, whereas the Muslim's claim is just because it's one of their "holy" places.
Even if you use the 1947 UN resolution as a basis of land division, look at the evident erosion of Palestine since 1947 where every promise has been a lie and every treaty has been broken. If the map of Israel continue to grow, and the map of Palestinian continue to shrink which side is the hostility coming from?
 

ddadain

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
636
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
Pop quiz!

When and how did "Palestine" come to be?
 

hunter71485

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
462
Age
41
Gender
Hidden
Country
Storm's End
sorry ddadain, i'd like to answer that, but it seems we're getting out of context here...
 

shigeki

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
4
Reaction score
6
Gender
Female
Country
Russian Federation
Why just point out one series of verses?

You should come clean. Else, someone will start quoting other verses that seems to say otherwise.
If you want, please- bring me other verses that contradict with the abovementioned ones (or any verse that affirms the ‘evilness’ of Islam for that matter), and I’ll try to clarify ‘em for you.

What's the Muslim definition of "hostility". Apparently, "starting hostility" is anything to do with opposition to what YOU think is RIGHT.

When the United Nations decreed Israel as a nation, I believe the first to be hostile were the "peaceful" Muslims, or am I wrong? Is Jerusalem yours, or theirs? Their history seems to give them right over those lands, whereas the Muslim's claim is just because it's one of their "holy" places.
Our definition of hostility is the same like everyone else’s.:amuse Your accusation pretty much sounds like the Zionists’ definition- portraying the Muslims as the ones starting hostilities when they easily declared their independence and rights over Palestine just because they believed it was their ‘promised land’, even though the 1947 UN partition plan didn’t receive agreement from both sides and wasn’t as yet implemented.

Speaking about history, you can’t lightly dismiss the importance of Jerusalem to the Muslims. The Hebrews themselves did not originally settle there anyway, not until their exodus from Egypt. There were the Canaanites before them, for example. After the conquest by the Assyrians and the Babylonians, the Hebrews were exiled, and after different changes of power later, allowed to return but with limited autonomy in religious practice n administration. During Roman and Christian Byzantine rule, they were again banished from the land. It was not until the advent of the Muslims when they were allowed to return (after 500 years in exile) and fully practice their religion.

The course of history is complicated and you can’t simply say that one party is more deserving than the other over a land they both call home. In any case, the way the Zionists conduct their claims is so reminiscent of the imperial era, and by modern standards of human rights and justice- inhumane.

Pop quiz!

When and how did "Palestine" come to be?
I see where you're getting at, but as I said, it's not as simple as that.:)
 

helping

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Pop quiz!

When and how did "Palestine" come to be?

And what does that have to do with the UN resolution and Muslim definition of “starting hostility”?

Since the resolution one nation has grown by continuous brutal expulsion and demolition and one nation has experience continuous shrinking. Again to the point you mentioned “hostility”.
 

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
2,870
Reaction score
60
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I'm not a Muslim, but I did live quite some time in a heavily muslim-influenced country.

I have no interest in "starting hostility" topic since I don't know a lot about it.

However, I am interested in how the concept of Jihad influences so many suicide bombers nowadays. No, I'm not bashing any religion, but it is a fact that people (who might be sidetracked from the original religion) uses jihad as an excuse to kill perfectly innocent people.

How would you explain that?

You might argue, "Hey, Christianity has some pretty bloody history too." In fact, you can quote from bible however you want on all the different wars David led his people to, how they killed everyone (even children and women) and so on and so forth.

However, in the New Testament, things changed when Jesus came.

I'm going to quote from bible for a while. Bear with me. =D

But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

"No one, sir," she said.
"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin." ~John 8:1-11 NIV
The Law of Moses (old testament) might punish really harshly on people and could be interpreted as dictatorship instead of a democratic, lovely relationship between God and men. However, New Testament obviously no longer promotes any violence; neither does it displays any killings of huge armies and other violence scenes that you mostly get in old testament. Of course, revelation is an exceptional case which we can ignore. ;)

So, Christianity no longer shows any sign of violence after Jesus came. Since, Christianity is based on grace and love right now, it does not in any sense promote any violence.

Islam on the other hand still holds on the Quran (again I'm not trying to bash anything) that justifies jihad, which can indeed promote violence (at least to some people) such that people actually kill other innocent lives.

How would you explain that, my Muslim friends? Note that I'm not trying to hold a grudge against any religion, but it is always good that we try to sort things up. Little by little, through understanding, the new generation can make a difference. :)
 
Top