I think that any religion is good if it helps a person become a better person. Any religions that allow killing and raping should be unexceptionable. i think any good person could agree that those should be the ultimate exceptions.
I'm assuming you're talking about Islam?
i.e. killing as in terrorism,
and raping as in "honor killing"?
from what I've learned about Islam, there's only three cases in which Islam allows the "death penalty":
[1] when a married person commits adultery
[2] when a person kills another person(s)
[3] apostasy (when a Muslim abandons his faith or community)
even in war, there are certain rules against killing innocent people, especially against the killing of women and children.
terrorism is employed by those who distort the true message of Islam;
there's no evidence in the Qu'ran that would support the modern conceptualized term known as "terrorism"; killing is strictly forbidden, with the 3 exceptions mentioned above.
and honor killing, or "raping", is also forbidden; it was a common practice in pre-Islamic Arabia where the concept of chastity and honor were important values, and any violation of it were punished severely; however with the advent of Islam as a religion and law, efforts were made to abolish this practice. Unfortunately today, there are still those who perpetuate these crimes, and I guess you can attribute all crimes in the Middle East as external influences that falsely identifies with Islam; using Islam to justify crimes, if you will...
and the same can be said with most of the world's religions. Religions have the tendency to be misused and distorted by some (not all) of its followers.
I honestly feel that instead of trying to discredit religion, we can promote more peace in the world by trying to understand other religions, at least some of its basic fundamental teachings.
killing and rape are forbidden in Islam (specifically, the killing of "innocents"), and I think this is true in any of the major religions..
whoever commits these crimes and use religion to justify such acts, do so only as false followers. In other words, they have misinterpreted and distorted the original message of their respective faiths.
if you were suggesting a different religion other than Islam, please accept my apology..
here are more info I found in regards to "killing" and "honor killing" in relation to the teachings of Islam:
http://www.muhajabah.com/reallysays.htm
http://www.muhajabah.com/otherscondemn.php
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543392
on a side note:
one of my major criticisms with Islam is it's law against apostasy....I think it's a bit harsh..
also, something not mentioned, but equally true, is that during the formation of the Islam empire (roughly 8th-9th century CE), in regards to "religious conversion", Muslims generally tolerated, and in fact included them in their empire as "citizens", known by the term as "dhimmis", are the so-called "people of the Book" (i.e. Christians, Jews, Zoroastrians, and later, even accepted Hindus and Buddhists).......although they had a few financial handicaps, i.e. they were taxed more than the average Muslims, the dhimmis were given plenty of the same freedoms as Muslims.
However, for the non-dhimmis (people who don't have a religious scripture like a Bible, Torah, Veda, etc.), they were the unlucky ones....these included atheists, agnostics, polytheists, animists, etc...and they were given three options: to convert to Islam, slavery, or death.
while it is made clear in the Qu'ran that "religious conversion" is not done via compulsion, the latter case I mentioned above is in fact a form of "compulsion". So this is probably my second major criticism of Islam...perhaps it's the political aspect of the religion, but still, it's a contradiction...
and I'm not sure how all this applies in modern Islam, in particular is the question, "how are Muslims to treat their non-Muslim, non-dhimmi neighbors?" Are they given the same 3 options of forced conversion, slavery, or death? or has this practice been changed since?
I wish I had learned this in my religious studies...so if anyone wants to help me out or wish to elaborate, I'd appreciate it.
plus, I have other criticisms, but they would fall more along the lines of politics, more so than religion, but that would be off topic. Islam afterall has a political component..