Re: The NFL Thread
About to watch the Ravens-Patriots game tonight. Somehow I get the feeling, though, that the Patriots are going come out guns a-blazing, just because of all the "speculation" that they're actually beatable. So, good luck to the Ravens. I certainly don't want to see the Pats go 16-0 since I'm not a fan of them at all (even though their offense is a beauty to behold, cheating or not.)
As for my Titans, they seem to be finally getting back on track. It's been a bad November for them - at one point they seemed to even lose the heart that's defined them throughout Fisher's coaching tenure - but it seems like they're back with that win over the Texans. Vince Young is finally showing some improvement in the passing game. I think that's helped him finally get some good runs off, as well. I've never been overly impressed with LenDale White though. I think Chris Brown is the better running back by far. With Al Haynesworth back, though, I'm hoping they do a better job from now on defensively, though they have a really tough schedule ahead of them - Chargers, Chiefs, Jets, and the Colts.
The Colts seem to have the division well in hand though, having beaten the Jaguars twice. So about all the Titans have to look forward to is just getting into the playoffs, and they're in a chase with the Browns right now for one of the final wild card spots.
Though I have to admit, I'd feel sorry for the Browns if they didn't make it. They've had a magical year and they have a fun team to watch. They probably should have won that game against the Cardinals. I'm not so sure that Winslow Jr. wouldn't have had that touchdown catch at the end if he hadn't been forced out of bounds - that's something that needs to become reviewable in the future for sure.
The Browns do have a better chance than the Titans to make the playoffs though. They have to play the Jets, Bills, Bengals, and 49ers in their final four games. They might even win the AFC North, if the Steelers slip up a bit. The Steelers have the Patriots next week to play as well, and after that they have to play what will probably be a pissed Jaguars team. Then the resurgent Rams and whatever's left of the Ravens.
I feel pretty bad for Miami right now. They might end up being the first team to go 0-16 and I wouldn't wish that on any team, much less a team with such a stored history as the Dolphins.
At this point, the only way the Dolphins can feel good at all about themselves is if they actually beat the Patriots. Wouldn't that be funny.
As for the NFC - I have to say the Minnesota Vikings look great lately and they might actually surprise a team or two in the playoffs, if they get in - and at this point, they seem like the best bet to make it (Detroit has lost their last four games and nobody is probably going to feel confident about the Cardinals' chances.)
The NFL is getting a bit more exciting with all the wild card chases, but it's still considerably more boring than college football had been this past year - everybody knows it's probably going to end up Patriots, Colts, Cowboys, and Packers right at the end.