Discussion What Manga Do You Read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azurel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I've read fewer manga than I've watch anime.. :s

These are wad I'm currently reading or have read before..

Yakitate Japan
Fairy Tail
666 Satan
Death Note
Bleach
Good Morning Call
Vampire Knight
Hellsing
Furuba
Fullmetal Alchemist
Prince of Tennis
Samurai Girl: real bout high school
 

chanskee

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 14, 2007
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
deathnote
naruto
bleach
beck
yuyu hakusho
 

Daedalus75204

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
29
Reaction score
7
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

Hey--I've been commenting on the ethnicity portion of this Board but despite my feelings that Kishi and other mangaka could do a better job representing Minorities in their works given just how much the global market (US, UK, Brazil, and so on) are important for the success of these creators-- I still LOVE NARUTO!

Naruto is that rare Shonen title that features sacrifice (real one--not fake ones like One Piece or DBZ), destiny, actual character growth and some truly awesome action (this latest arc is fantastic but I will always the chunin exams, kohoha attack and sasuke retrieval as inventive, action packed and innovative stories). With that said, I work in Entertainment and have been a fan of Manga (actually in and from Japan) since 1989.

Only recently have I become so enthralled by most manga and find their are some wonderful shonen works that give me also very nice smiles on my face like Naruto even though stories are different. So since so many of us are passionate about this work--what other shonen works excite you?

For me:

Kekkaishi (one of the most underrated manga ever! Every bit a masterpiece like Naruto but on a more closer, personal scale while naruto gets epic at times).

GinTama (actually funny..rarity in Japanese manga translated to English but it is actually funny).

Claymore (the Berserk lite--incredible plot/ art)

Fullmetal Alchemist (awesome, epic, beautiful artwork...I can't wait to see how this ends)

Death Note (an incredible work, artwork wise, story wise, ending satisfying-- the only manga I can hand to girlfriends and not have them laugh at me).
 

lazyboyrod

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2007
Messages
2,026
Reaction score
45
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Haiti
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

Try Bleach
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

Try Psyren. Everyone try Psyren. (Search it at the top)

A new shonen manga that started 2 weeks ago.


It looks very promising.
 

AngryChubbs

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2007
Messages
767
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

how about does anyone know of any mangas that are like naruto or bleach that are nearing the end...i hate all the cliffhangers and whatnot lol
 

Daedalus75204

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
29
Reaction score
7
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

Try Bleach
Sorry not looking for works for me to try --well maybe if I discover some. I didn't want to diss some works but I've read much much more that's on my list..I don't have any love for Bleach...I can't get into works where characters are slashed all to hell and then just power up for no reason. I can get that from an issue of X-men which is what Bleach reminds me of.


Try Psyren. Everyone try Psyren. (Search it at the top)

A new shonen manga that started 2 weeks ago.


It looks very promising.
Thanks FxU I've heard that-need to look at that. From the mieru hieto guy right?


Try Psyren. Everyone try Psyren. (Search it at the top)

A new shonen manga that started 2 weeks ago.


It looks very promising.
Thanks FxU I've heard that-need to look at that. From the mieru hieto guy right?
 
Last edited:

marte1980

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2007
Messages
183
Reaction score
7
Age
46
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

Hey--I've been commenting on the ethnicity portion of this Board but despite my feelings that Kishi and other mangaka could do a better job representing Minorities in their works given just how much the global market (US, UK, Brazil, and so on) are important for the success of these creators-- I still LOVE NARUTO!
What do you exactly mean by minorities?They obviously draw the kind of people that exist on their country(but drawn like caucasian people, I don't know why, maybe they don't like themselves),when did it happen that an american comic draw an asiatic hero?And what kind of minority should they include?Why one instead of another?Should they put some of all the people around the world?
I like all the mangas in your list, Gintama in particular, that's really special one of my favourite(but it should maybe be retargeted to a more adult target to have more success, not exactly because of its contents, but because of how it treats them). You've said that Claymore is like Berserk(I absolutely disagree, Berserk is on a whole diferent level), so I suppose you're already reading Berserk.Berserk is another one of my favourite mangas. Other than Gintama, Berserk and Naruto, I'd say that you can take a look at D. Gray Man, sometimes it's not bad(even if frequently it's too much girly).I tried to read Bleach, but I don't like it, I tried 666 Satan, but it doesn't seem interesting, just a mix of other mangas.
 

Razh

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
7,302
Reaction score
3,580
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

Naruto is that rare Shonen title that features sacrifice (real one--not fake ones like One Piece or DBZ), destiny, actual character growth and some truly awesome action
Talk badly about One Piece again and I'll find you.

But OK, everyone has their opinion. Not every opinion is good...;)

Try Fairy Tail. It has a lot of action, and it's a lot of fun.
 

Daedalus75204

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
29
Reaction score
7
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

LOL...I would say the same to you Razh about your opinion ;) -- One Piece is great but every needless act of violence for the supporting cast and heroes to just hop back up again at the end has just made me lose any respect for One Piece..but it is a funny and imaginative book at times. I did hear Fairy Tail is good and luckily Del Rey is bringing it out here in States!!! :)

marte--there is a WHOLE thread on the Ethnicity question if you wish to discuss it seriously since most of your questions are answered except for the point you make which is the heart of the issue--why is it okay for naruto to be white but not have any single other minority except for asians? Anyways, go read.
 

Zeus-Tails

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
723
Reaction score
54
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

Bleach reminds me a lot of DBZ, unfortunately. It's basically "What? You have higher reiatsu? Oh snapz I lose!" That's how the bulk of the fights go anyway which saddens me. But this is not a complete knock on DBZ though. DBZ was good up until the end of the Frieza saga. Then things started to become stupid.
 

radical3113

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
432
Reaction score
14
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

bleach isnt that bad i was really interested at the beginning especially when the whole "aizen wtf" thing happened. but after that ......*coughs*.............well ........now i just wanna see how it ends.

death note is the only other shonen i really really enjoyed, but most times i like to stick to seinen, because sometimes the protagonists in shonens are "immortal mortals" , i mean you could chop off their head and the mangaka will forcefully write in some dumb reason to bring them to life (look at gaara) or sometimes theres a medical genius around the corner (that reindeer from onepiece, orihime from bleach, young tsunade-sakura from naruto) they keep them there so the protagonist(s) can be ground to dust , and you'll think its just fine when their being brought back to life. it gets repetitive, in bleach someones getting healed like every 10 chapters. (wtf just die)

btw i like this thread a lot, i might get introduced to a nice shonen
 
Last edited:

Zeus-Tails

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
723
Reaction score
54
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

Yea that's the way a lot of mangas/anime work. Make the beginning interesting and the characters, at first, interesting and then you're hooked, because even if the rest of the story sucks, humans are naturally curious and want to see how it ends.
 

Razh

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
7,302
Reaction score
3,580
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

LOL...I would say the same to you Razh about your opinion ;) -- One Piece is great but every needless act of violence for the supporting cast and heroes to just hop back up again at the end has just made me lose any respect for One Piece.
Matter of taste.

I can say that I liked Naruto a lot more before. And I probably don't need to number all the bad sides.

Try Satan 666, although it gets a little crappy after a timeskip.
 
Last edited:

Daedalus75204

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
29
Reaction score
7
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

bleach isnt that bad i was really interested at the beginning especially when the whole "aizen wtf" thing happened. but after that ......*coughs*.............well ........now i just wanna see how it ends.

death note is the only other shonen i really really enjoyed, but most times i like to stick to seinen, because sometimes the protagonists in shonens are "immortal mortals" , i mean you could chop off their head and the mangaka will forcefully write in some dumb reason to bring them to life (look at gaara) or sometimes theres a medical genius around the corner (that reindeer from onepiece, orihime from bleach, young tsunade-sakura from naruto) they keep them there so the protagonist(s) can be ground to dust , and you'll think its just fine when their being brought back to life. it gets repetitive, in bleach someones getting healed like every 10 chapters. (wtf just die)

btw i like this thread a lot, i might get introduced to a nice shonen
Yeah..I have to disagree with you on Naruto cuz I love the manga but likewise, I like that everything in their world has a logic. I mean, a medical ninja on missions in the 4 man cell is pretty logical and really -- naruto and Kakashi are stars of the manga and yet they are in the hospital after every major arc--bleach, dbz, one piece..those guys get slashed to pieces, or hit with nuclear bomb level energy or explosions and before the fight is finished they're getting back up like they're fine. I just cannot see how people put Naruto in same boat as most shonen manga.

What seinan do you like though?

me Personally--

Berserk

Gunsmtih cats

Naoki Urasawa Monster

Golgo 13 (I'm a purist what can I say)

Uzumaki (beautifully bizarre book)

gantz


Matter of taste.

I can say that I liked Naruto a lot more before. And I probably don't need to nuber all the bad sides.

Try Satan 666, although it gets a little crappy after a timeskip.
I may try Satan 666 (O-parts hunter for Viz heads)-- I just personally think it's such a lame ass rip off of Naruto that it's hard to have any real respect for it. I mean the demon in the boy, time skip, even the look (even though both Kishi's are twins) just makes me too suspicious of the work.

Anyways, I'm sure we can get you back on the Naruto team razh--u can't tell me the newest Jiraiya arc isn't the shit.
 
Last edited:

noonethere

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
711
Reaction score
37
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mauritius
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

I'll recommend HunterXHunter and Fairy Tail. If you like them you could also try reborn.l
 

Smudj

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2007
Messages
111
Reaction score
4
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

I like Shin Angyo Onshi.It's a Korean fantasy manga,based on Korean legends and other stories.I read 6 volumes.The series finished with volume 17,Edited Mangas are up to volume 14.In the US i think it's named Blade of the phantom master or something like that.I'f you're interested you can get the Edited Mangas at http://et-caetera.net/.
 

radical3113

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
432
Reaction score
14
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

Yeah..I have to disagree with you on Naruto cuz I love the manga but likewise, I like that everything in their world has a logic. I mean, a medical ninja on missions in the 4 man cell is pretty logical and really -- naruto and Kakashi are stars of the manga and yet they are in the hospital after every major arc--bleach, dbz, one piece..those guys get slashed to pieces, or hit with nuclear bomb level energy or explosions and before the fight is finished they're getting back up like they're fine. I just cannot see how people put Naruto in same boat as most shonen manga.

What seinan do you like though?

me Personally--

Berserk

Gunsmtih cats

Naoki Urasawa Monster

Golgo 13 (I'm a purist what can I say)

Uzumaki (beautifully bizarre book)

gantz
<hr noshade size="1">
very true naruto does have a sense of logic, but u can still smell the shonen in it at times(not that shonens are crap)
my favourite seinens have to be
blade of the immortal, (the protagonist actually IS immortal so i have no problems of him getting slashed) its like shogun assassin on drugs.
shamo - this manga is crazy sick, its shows the gradual rise of a normal kid into a crazy demon (not a real demon of course)and its starts in prison.rape,murder,extortion,yakuza, you name it.
humonculus- is crazy twisted and BAAAD. the volumes are massive and usually end with a big WTF

gantz...eerr....well....man. i dont know how u can like gantz and naruto at the same time. naruto is action packed and eventful. i watched the first 20 episodes of gantz............man was it slow.
"oh no hes in trouble save him" is what some one would say whilst everyones standing around for minutes, still, and making no attempt to do anything. "raaawwr, raaawwr" that could be 5mins screen time right there. and the fact that there are always noobs on the team who ask the same questions every f***ing time, "aww maaan not again" is what keeps going through my mind. the camera angles and parallel naratives are directed by a genius, the storyline is more than original, but they can take almost all of the episode to just put on a suit.after watching the episodes (which i forcefully swallowed till episode 20) i didnt wanna read the manga.no thanks


I may try Satan 666 (O-parts hunter for Viz heads)-- I just personally think it's such a lame ass rip off of Naruto that it's hard to have any real respect for it. I mean the demon in the boy, time skip, even the look (even though both Kishi's are twins) just makes me too suspicious of the work.
yep , your too darn right.
i need someone to show me a good shonen. ive heard people talk about air gear, but i read loads of chapters and watched loads of episodes, but it was going downhill from episode/chapter 1.ive just started watching claymore which seems interesting, but that boy who hangs around with the "demon girl" is some sort of generic anime character, cloned in too many animes.
 

Smudj

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2007
Messages
111
Reaction score
4
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

@Radical :You should know that you can't judge a manga by the anime.If you like action you should really read the Gantz manga.I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.Gantz anime is a travesty when compared to manga and the content has been edited drastically for television and gantz the manga is not finished.If you don't believe me go to the Gantz board and ask the people what they think of the anime.
 
Last edited:

Razh

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
7,302
Reaction score
3,580
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Re: NARUTO is a MASTERPIECE-- what other manga would you recommend?

I may try Satan 666 (O-parts hunter for Viz heads)-- I just personally think it's such a lame ass rip off of Naruto that it's hard to have any real respect for it. I mean the demon in the boy, time skip, even the look (even though both Kishi's are twins) just makes me too suspicious of the work.

Anyways, I'm sure we can get you back on the Naruto team razh--u can't tell me the newest Jiraiya arc isn't the shit.
Well, they did grow up reading the same mangas, as they said. Simmilarities were bound to happen.

Yeah, One Piece is a little unrealistic and whacky, but that's author's stile. And it suits me a little more than what Naruto has become. Too little of physicall combat for me. Almost like watching Harry Potter, with all those jutsus and stuff. It troubles me too that main character is the worst dressed man in entire manga (except Haku :p ). At least in One Piece main character fights here and there (almost all the time), while in Naruto... Well... Still waiting to see something good of him. The stuff that drew me to Naruto were the first chapters and all the possibilities. But now, I don't mind a darker atmosphere, but it's getting a little too dark now. KInda like some teen series, type OC, or Tree Hill. Everything starts in an peacefull, almost idilic atmosphere, and then, hell breaks loose, and people cheat eachother, people take drugs, people get killed, people get their arms cut off. Oh, and kids get sent to do grownups jobs... Am I the only one that wonders WTF is ANBU's job anyway?

I'm just sick and tired of all the loose ends in Naruto. Sick and tired of wandering if Jiraiya will survive fot the last 5 or 6 chapters.
Don't get me wrong. I'm here aren't I, I love Naruto, but there are things that keep bugging me.
And please don't quote this and try to make me change my opinion (anyone) beacuse this is already offtopic, and my opinion won't change.

Just a matter of taste.

P.S. Someone should really open a topic where we can number all the things we still don't know in Naruto :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top