Done Q about transcriptions

Emily00

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
85
Reaction score
19
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Hey all I was wondering how important are pre-made transcriptions actually for people? I was wondering because I'm not good enough yet to translate, but I was thinking to start doing transcriptions to help me out (and hopefully help other people). Will it really be worth it for people?
Thank you :amuse
 

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
4,262
Reaction score
2,130
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Hey all I was wondering how important are pre-made transcriptions actually for people? I was wondering because I'm not good enough yet to translate, but I was thinking to start doing transcriptions to help me out (and hopefully help other people). Will it really be worth it for people?
Thank you :amuse
It's quite helpful to those that are doing common series, since it transcribes the chapter for them and all they have to do is translate it. (saves having to do the work of both)

But as their are more scripts I'm sure they'll be more people using them and appreciating them. (seeing as it just started out, it might take a while to kick in) But I can use all the help I can get in doing so :). So yeah, if you're willing to, by all means :ossu

You'll also get put in the Translator Assistant Group for helping as well!
 

Name-Undecided

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
91
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Do people really find transcriptions helpful? I always like to see what's going in context so unless the transcription includes who's saying what while doing what to whom I wouldn't find it that helpful. It might be a good way to learn, though.
 

boke

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 8, 2009
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
United States
For translators, having a transcription makes looking up kanji you don't know soooo much faster since you can cut and paste it into a JE dictionary. Having the art available to understand context is important too, but looking up kanji is time consuming.
 

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
15,816
Reaction score
7,985
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
It's always useful to have transcript. If anything else, it makes it easier for another translator to check a translation without having to actually to search and download that particular chapter.

As for a learner as myself for example, I can use the transcript to learn how another translator translates the chapter. Especially when it comes to specific things like dialects or idioms.
 

Elkin

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 20, 2007
Messages
80
Reaction score
22
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Kingdom
Transcripts are immensely useful for me... Makes going over my translations much easier, and it cuts down the time it takes for me to look up how I translated something (E.g. a term) in earlier chapters.
 

Harun

Proofreader
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
39
Reaction score
14
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Transcripts are very helpful, especially if you're using a CAT tool. You can get rough estimates of how much material has been translated in your TMs and TDBs. It really speeds turnaround up.

Cheers,
 
Top