Question - Do you think Guts will ever use his behelit? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Do you think Guts will ever use his behelit?

psychophant

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
For some time Guts, although pukk 'cares' for it, has had a behelit, if he ever does use it what will he become?

yeah i know pukk has a name for it, just forgot

Absolutio

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
He won't use it. He fought so much against the things he hate - apostles, so we won't become one of them. But I guess that the Behelit will have some importance in the story, later on.

psychophant

Reaction score
Country
Australia
yeah but all he cares about id Griffith, and doesn't care about the means, just the end result, and he would make such a cool apostle

jabbament

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think we'll see him use his behelit until the very end of the manga.

It would be very shocking if we see Guts turn into an apostle, mainly because he would have to sacrifice someone close to him. Plus, we don't know if someone who is branded can become an apostle, but either way, Guts can stand up to them on his own.

I honestly think the manga would not be as appealing if turned into an apostle. The fact that he is a human (albeit overly powerful) is one of the greatest appeals. He has no powers. He has a huge sword, awesome armor, and an insane amount of battle experience.

I think when he finally uses it, it will be for the "final showdown" where they take on the God Hand. As for Guts using it for anything but that, I do not see it happening.

shego

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I don't think he's going to use it either. But imagine a little plot twist here and there involving Slang, I think she's into him. She seems pretty uppity about him whenever they run into each other. She gets all excited when he gets enraged during the feast, when he wouldn't fucking die at The Count's castle at the beginning at the series, and then finally she gives him a little visit during the troll fight.

We all know according to that wrecking crew, or at least only Void, Gutts is not pre-ordained by fate. But what if that bitch gets around that? She has mused about what it would be like if he was on their side!

Additionally, they might need to do that to avoid that rumored Gutts and Schierke undoing whatever Skullknight and Flora undid that Griffith is on his way of doing and needs to be stopped.

And that would be pretty damn cool.

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Gutts won't use the behelit or actually he cannot use it. Each behelit has its own unique owner whose connected to it by destiny. It doesn't matter if the owner loses it because it will return to him/her no matter what (e.g Griffith and the Count). If someone else finds the behelit and the owner is dead, it won't resonate and will remain dormant because it's unique to its owner only. Gutts has already tried to use it to call the 5 king demons and he asked the mansion witch ( I think her name was Flora) to help him but even she didn't know how to activate it.

Having that said, I tend to believe that Gutts will not continue being a human forever, he's cursed and his armour is cursed so most likely, he will turn into whatever the SK is but I believe this won't happen until the very end (wishing Miura and fans a long life!!).

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
It's not exactly as you said Silhouette, although a Behelit has a destined owner, it can change. I mean if the owner dies, after using it, the Behelit should find itself eventually at its new owner's hand (which doesn't mean that it has to be gutts).
Also, about using it, you can't. When the time comes, the behelit will use itself.

I also think that if gutts does use the behelit, it will only be to summon the god hand, to fight them, not to turn into an apostle.

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Well Absulutio, I really doubt behilits can find new owners because a behilit is activated only by the despair of its owner and it become so only to save/turn its owner into a demon. Take the count for example, when he was beaten by Guts, his behilit opened a dimension from which the five demon kings came. However, when the count wished for Guts to be killed, they refused to grant such wish and told him they showed up only because "his despair". So if the owner is no longer alive, there is no reason for the five kings to show up, right?!

The way I see it, behilits may open the dimension to demons but it's the behilit owners' despair is what makes the five hands show up. I say that because the Skull Knight used many behilits (not just one) to forge a sword that cuts through dimensions (like when he saved Guts from the trolls' cave) but he can't call the five kings. Either way, it was mentioned (I think twice) before that Gutts is not destined to be demon and the five hands show up only to turn a human into a demon. There was an exception when Slan showed up in the troll's cave but it wasn't because of the behilit then either...she was there because she has a thing for Gutts like she said...either that or maybe because of the orgy taking place in the trolls cave (no behilit involved).

Jack Van Burace

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hmmm, perhaps SK is also an apostle. The Angel woman asked Guts if he was going to suffer or sacrifice something, like he (SK) did. So, SK did sacrifice someone in order to gain his form, meaning he might be an apostle. And he WAS branded as sacrifice, told when he mentioned to have once survived an Eclipse as well.

However, an Eclipse is the birth of an Angel. And there are only 5 including Griffith. I suppose the Angel that "sacrificed" him was the woman. Though nothing so far has hinted it.

Anyway, if Guts sacrifices someone that hasn't been branded yet, to be able to kill the angels, it might be worthy. Remember that he can save this person from being eaten, just like he was saved by the SK. I can even imagine the Old witch having a brand as well, and that being the reason why Schierke knows about it. And the reason they both knew how to seal brands. The witch would have been the SK sacrifice, although he never allowed her to be taken as such, using the powers he gained from it.

Last edited:

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
SK was more likely a branded person than an apostle, and the witch knows how to seal the brand because she was his very good friend. And about sacrificing something, it all hints to the berserker's armor, that takes away your humanity and feelings.

Reaver717

Reaction score
Country
United States
The SK is an apostle, he is most likely the King in the legend that princess Charlet told on their way to rescue Griffith from the tower, and what i was thinking about what he doesn't want repeated is that he (SK) was the God Hand before Griffith and possible does not want to see the conquest of his nation or the suffering of the branded again.

As for the Behelit, I think the only thing it has left in it for the series is for it to summon the God Hands, that dont reveale themselves, for Guts to kill.

Jack Van Burace

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yeah, summoning the God Hand is a fine purpose. However, the Angel-woman (keep forgetting her name) said the SK did sacrifice something. Perhaps it really is his humanity, as Absolutio mentioned. But the woman figure on his horse might mean something.

One of the current God Hands arose whenever he was branded. I'm thinking the woman on his horse is the current Angel-woman. They were in love, but she sacrificed everything for her powers.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
That sounds like a cool theory.. Which also goes with my assumption of SK being a branded person rather than an apostle.

Snake1786

Reaction score
Country
Austria
maybe people that are marked dont have to sacrifice so gatts probably use it at the finale showdown against griffith

Ramen4ever

Reaction score
Country
Canada
No matter how many times I read the manga, I just don't see how anyone can interpret Slan's words to imply that shes talking about SK. She is talking about Griffith. Obviously. "Make a sacrifice like he (Griffith) did." She was not talking about SK. Besides Slan most likely wasn't even around when SK had his ordeal.

As for the topic itself, I don't think Guts will ever use his behelit to become a monster. Someone in his party, would be more likely. I think the most likely case is that he uses the beherit to get to the God Hand. None of these theories are anything new. lol:tem

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
if by Slan you mean the old witch, she did mean SK, as you can see by many many references that I'm too lazy to look for atm.. maybe tomorrow
Good night! :D

Ramen4ever

Reaction score
Country
Canada
if by Slan you mean the old witch, she did mean SK, as you can see by many many references that I'm too lazy to look for atm.. maybe tomorrow
Good night! :D
The old witch is Flora.
I'm talking about Slan, a member of the God hand. When Guts kills all those trolls at the Qliphoth, she uses the troll intestines to take form. She provokes Guts by asking him if he wants to make a sacrifice like Griffith did.

Asva

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Okay...Imho:
1.Flora did know how to use the Behelit, Because witches study about the Behelit.
But from her studying she concluded that it is far to dangerous for the use of a human.
(Flora wasn't a branded one for 100%. Schierke knows about it from her master. The master knows from studying and dealing with a branded one.)
2.Slan did mean Grifth
3.SK was a branded person that through mass cursing became the SK he is now, Undead. (And yes, the legend about the first king of midland is more then 90% the SK...)
4.Guts can(!) use the Behelit to become a demon. I mean...come on, if he couldn't then the inner beast & Slan wouldn't suggest the use of a Behelit.
5.After Behelit user dies, the Behelit finds a new user. (And when the user most needs it, the Behelit will fall into his hands ready for the use even if previously he lost it)
6.Guts won't use the Behelit. (The inner beast is another story...but we don't know if he will have the chance to take over Guts...)

I'm to lazy to find the text that support my sayings.Deal with it : - )

Ramen4ever

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I felt like returning to this thread after a second skim through. I think it's time for a slight elaboration on why I don't think Guts will use the Beherit. It's actually kind of simple. Gut's is a human, it has been a recurring limitation for him throughout the manga. It has also been one of his defining characteristics. If he used the Beherit then his whole quest for vengeance would be meaningless. As he would be no different from the monsters he kills. Also, we shouldn't forget that Guts already is a monster. The things he did during his Black Swordsmen days don't simply fade away. The Beast of Darkness is proof of that. He will have to live with it for the rest of his life and I don't think our protagonist is going to lose the battle for his humanity. :p Another thing that is also just as unlikely, is that Guts will become like the Skullknight. I doubt Miura will turn Guts' character into a Skullknight Jr. The reason being yet again, that it's a primary point for Guts to keep his humanity. He's been fighting it for years and if he became an apostle or suit of armor like SK then it would cheapen his character.

On a completely different note, I don't think that SK was branded. As the brand does not only mark a person's physical body but their spiritual body as well. I think it's more likely that the Wiseman/Void sacrificed others.. speculatively his religious followers. If Sk was branded then being a suit of armor would not have saved his soul from the Vortex of Souls. It is what makes the brand so dangerous and brutal.. it marks their existence, their ego. That is why when we see an apostle die, everything is dragged into the Vortex of souls except the physical husk of a body that remains. For reference look at the Count's death and Wild's.
Though at this point it's all speculation and more information is required before a reasonable conclusion can be established. Hopefully at Elfhelm we will learn of how Sk became that armor.

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking...the count's behelit must be special...
after he became an apostle....he found it once again...

gats should let SK eat it and see what it does to his sword...

:hmm