Discussion If you could bring back one thing from Japan????

SoulReaporKoul

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
86
Reaction score
82
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
So a good friend of mine had the good fortune of landing a paid internship in Japan this summer and is currently TOTALLY rubbing it in my face (she also pointed out that if I had picked the same major as her I probably would have gotten that internship instead), but being the good friend that she is has agreed to bring back one thing from Japan while she is there, I told her I would have to think about it and decided to ask the MangaHelpers community for "help".

I already have the default "COPY OF SHONEN JUMP" but would like to hear what anyone else might suggest that represents Japanese culture and can legally be brought back to US and Canada.
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Hard Gay Foooo~!!! So long as his papers are intact.
 

SoulReaporKoul

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
86
Reaction score
82
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Hard Gay Foooo~!!! So long as his papers are intact.
Even if they aren't, I'm sure Masaki Sumitani's papers are, and then once he makes it over there, presto chango, it's Hard Gay FOOOOOOOOOOO~!!!!!!!
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
UFFOOOOOOO~!!! Domo! Hard Gay Desu!!! :rofl

I wanna see the way anyone would react if they recieved a package with HG in it, and as soon as they open it, he popps out and screams "UFOOOO!!!!"
 
Last edited:

SoulReaporKoul

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
86
Reaction score
82
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
UFFOOOOOOO~!!! Domo! Hard Gay Desu!!! :rofl

I wanna see the way anyone would react if they recieved a package with HG in it, and as soon as they open it, he popps out and screams "UFOOOO!!!!"
Depends on where he goes in the US, I'm pretty sure it's just another regular day in San Francisco :D

but seriously, other than Hard Gay, what would you bring back (reasonable?)
 

redcometfm

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
712
Reaction score
51
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
kick ass Gundam model
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Depends on where he goes in the US, I'm pretty sure it's just another regular day in San Francisco :D
I used to live in SF...:rofl

Besides HG, I guess I'd bring back some of them
infamous japanese condoms... I hear they're insanely thin...
 

black_burn

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2007
Messages
598
Reaction score
62
Gender
Male
Country
United Nations
Me.... most likely alot of copic markers.
 

rakkynon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2008
Messages
102
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
GUNDAM FTW
 

ILUVATAR

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
532
Reaction score
50
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
Hmmm.... i think having a katana in your suitcase (even if you have a lisence of caring it) will be troublesome in an airport huh? :rofl just imagine the guards's faces while they pass your suitcase from the scan :rofl :lmao
<- always wanted a japanese sword "MADE IN JAPAN" not the weak ones sold in the market....
actually the choices are quite unlimited on anything the resembles Japan the most :S everyone has his own opinion
 

SoulReaporKoul

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
86
Reaction score
82
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Hmmm.... i think having a katana in your suitcase (even if you have a lisence of caring it) will be troublesome in an airport huh? :rofl just imagine the guards's faces while they pass your suitcase from the scan :rofl :lmao
<- always wanted a japanese sword "MADE IN JAPAN" not the weak ones sold in the market....
actually the choices are quite unlimited on anything the resembles Japan the most :S everyone has his own opinion
My Sephiroth cosplay would look perfect with a REAL Japanese Katana :hearts ... just kidding, my Jin cosplay (Samurai Champloo).;)

All kidding aside I know that everyone has his/her own opinion on what resembles Japan the most, which is why I posed the question in this forum to help me narrow down my choices. So far I have a shonen jump, gundam model, and figure out a way to smuggle both Hard Gay and a REAL LIVE KATANA... Well, I guess Hard Gay could find somewhere to hide the Katana (It's amazing what he can pull out from seemingly nowhere) :D.

PS: Can just picture the customs official's look once scanning the suitcase, LOL :loool

PPS: I know I omitted the copic markers, but I'm not that good at art and they would be of no use to me...of course I could always get them and send them to black_burn ;)
 
Last edited:

Assymilum

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2008
Messages
602
Reaction score
70
Gender
Female
Country
Indonesia
Hmm, well I don't really like figures much, and I can't read Japanese letters so buying manga would go to waste... So, umm, Cheese-kun, I guess...
 

Azurel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
A real katana. :XD
 

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
6,761
Reaction score
907
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Err... A Pikachu. :oh Makes an awesome pet, yeah? (Or a Mokona. :mokona)
 

Sanji

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
Philippines
a thing?? i dont like a thing i like a woman yeah thats what i like a woman a lady or a girl a cute japanese girl
 

Waterdroplet

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
49
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
dunno I live in Japan :p

When I used to live abroad though- definitely instant noodle (there are hundreds of them)

but be careful about laws concerning bird flu or BSE. They used to ban some instant noodles since they contained chicken or beef broth- so I came home with noodle without any soup base.

They have canned ones (doesn't taste so wonderful though) in Akihabara with Hello Kitty in maid costume.

Others- manga art books or any manga/anime related goods you can get in Namba, Osaka or Akihabara near Tokyo. If you are interested in drawing manga- then manga goods in Tokyu Hands or any big art shops. Get screentones and papers since they are hard to get abroad. Or a shop called animate for just manga goods.

Another funny stuff- USB flash memory shaped like sushi or food from Yodobashi Camera (electricity goods store) in major Japanese cities. I'm getting one for my Italian friends as a joke. But, since they are flash memories after all, they cost around 70 dollars or more. I suggest you stick with Japanese manga goods for cheaper solution.


Japan is famous for pottery, anime/manga, kimono, tea, electricity goods, and tons of other stuff. Green tea mix is another option. It's yummy with vanilla ice and those in the US (I'm not sure in Canada) is really diluted version.
 
Last edited:

Hollow Kurono

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2007
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
64
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
If it would be possible a true katana,a true katana,that could slice threw bone,I realy would like to have one,but if these things aint at the markets anymore,it would be some kind of comic book or some Gantz merchandise :)
 

Waterdroplet

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
49
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
To Hollow Kurono,

I think it's not in the market anymore due to recent Akihabara hit-and-run & stabbing incident and freak incidents in the past. Any blade with a length more than 13 cm (or around there) is illegal to carry around, and having daggers became outlawed this month due to that Akihabara incident. Anyway, you can't get it past the airport check point. I think you will find yourself in a jail instead plus a heavy fine. I saw some in on-line auctions-ebay or yahoo. I think it's easier to get it abroad since one of my friend kept several in the US. I would stick with that or go to American marine/military/air bases in Japan. I remember they had it couple of years ago. However, you will need to have a special license to keep it in Japan outside of those bases.

But... if you say you must, then they have fake blunt ones and wooden ones in those old style tourist spots in Japan (i.e. Kyoto, Nara, etc.). My bro got one from there.
 
Last edited:

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
a japanese girl

first thing that comes to my mind
 

Windmillblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
9
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
a masamune samurai katana
 
Top