I had also been thinking of what logia Akainu could have. Since the idea that had considered does not seem to have been mentioned, what if Akainu had a rose logia power?
Besides being red, I think it would allow him to occupy an interesting niche in the story. There haven't been any plant-type DFs in the story yet, and the closest thing to a rose-related fruit is the Hana Hana Fruit, which does not really have much of anything to do with flowers.
There could be a lot of versatility with the ability as well. Besides the rose petal breeze (which would be inherent in any rose theme), he could attack with vines and thorns too. I could also see the possibility of a poison or some sort of toxic pollen being associated with it.
It might even add to his personality. He could be a very tough guy whom people fear because of his ruthlessness. When Luffy meets him and finds out he uses a rose theme, he might laugh and think he is harmless, causing Akainu to get extremely (and comically) mad.