Recent content by smaller

  1. Done [JP] Unfamiliar terms in katakana: アツシ, マッキー

    Ahh, thank you so much. I misunderstood that completely. How embarassing. :x
  2. Discussion How long did it take you to learn Japanese and start reading RAW manga?

    I'm totally doing it wrong, and it probably shows in my work. ^^ I've only had two years of formal Japanese learning, with like six years of listening to fansubbed anime to keep my hand in, so to speak. I'm trying to translate now, but I'd like to think I'm muddling through at least mostly...
  3. Done [JP] Unfamiliar terms in katakana: アツシ, マッキー

    Thank you both so much! That helped tremendously, I really appreciate it. Thanks for the clarification of the grammar, salad, and thank you for the etymology lesson, mikkih. :) ---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ---------- Could she be referring to...
  4. Done [JP] Unfamiliar terms in katakana: アツシ, マッキー

    Hey hey. I'm having some trouble with this page, mostly due to some katakana terms that I can't identify: アツシ and マッキー. Are they names? Are they loanwords? I don't even have any context yet for trying to understand what's going on, since this is the start of a Gaiden and I've never seen this...
  5. Quiz Previous Quizzes Compilation Thread

    Re: Latest Quiz (6/27/11 - 7/4/11) Trying again. D:
  6. Quiz Previous Quizzes Compilation Thread

    Re: Latest Quiz Ah, I really should use the forum resources here more often; this is awesome. My kanji literacy is very poor, and my vocabulary is weak, so I still have to look up words. Is that okay? :(
  7. Guide How to Type in Japanese and Other Languages

    I use a program called the JWPce (Japanese Word Processor CE - the programmer made it for Windows CE but it works fine in XP and Win7, etc., and it's free). My college Japanese professor showed us how to use it, and it's pretty great - has a dictionary database, and you can look up kanji by a...
  8. Done to mo

    Ah, thank you very much! That's rather clearer now, I really appreciate it. I need to keep reading closer than I have been.
  9. Done to mo

    No, thank you so much! Could it be something like, "What should I do, lest the world be destroyed and humanity vanish from the Earth?"
  10. Done to mo

    Hey, all. I'm having a real hard time figuring out the precise meaning that the combination particle "to mo" is giving this sentence. All I can catch is the general drift of the sentence, and I'd like to be able to get it exact. Is it something like "because", or "even though" or "with these...
  11. Done Nuance

    Ah, that second part makes sense now. Thank you very much! I did know that 弱点 was "weakness", not "weaklings", but I felt I would be appropriate to translate it a little differently, since the literal translation for the first line felt awkward in English to me.
  12. Done Nuance

    Hello! I'm having trouble pinpointing exactly what the nuance of a phrase should be. Panel two, I've translated as, The second line is where I'm uncertain if this is the best way to translate it. I can't imagine what the particle で is leading in to, so I've had to extrapolate the rest of...
  13. Help Short & Quick Translation Request Thread [Thread for members with little/no JP/C/K knowledge. OP for

    Re: Need a hand, please Hahaha, he does, doesn't he? But nah, he's just gotten the royal shit beaten out of him and he's still a little punch-drunk there. He's usually drawn with his eyes closed anyway (I recall reading somewhere that the artist wanted a protagonist who looked more like a...
Top