Done to mo

smaller

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
25
Reaction score
5
Age
42
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Hey, all. I'm having a real hard time figuring out the precise meaning that the combination particle "to mo" is giving this sentence. All I can catch is the general drift of the sentence, and I'd like to be able to get it exact. Is it something like "because", or "even though" or "with these events about to happen", or some other inflection?

世界が滅ぼうとも
地上から人類が消え去ろうとも
もうどうでもいい。。。



Thanks so much for any help. I'm muddling through as best as I can. :(
 

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
1,279
Reaction score
989
Age
36
Gender
Hidden
Country
Thailand
I'd say it's more precisely "Even if" or "May it be" (More correctly in this one "May the world be destroyed, or humanity be wiped out from the earth..." if I were to put up the sentence). Something along that line... .-.

Sorry, can't really explain it so well...>_>"
 

smaller

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
25
Reaction score
5
Age
42
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
No, thank you so much!

Could it be something like, "What should I do, lest the world be destroyed and humanity vanish from the Earth?"
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Standard translation:
"Aであろうと、Bであろうと" = "whether A or B"  

であろうと and であろうとも are pretty much the same.

"Even if" or "Should ..." would probably work better than "whether" in your sentence.

You can also rephrase it to:
*世界が滅びようと、地球から人類が滅びようと、
*たとえ世界が滅びても、地球から人類が滅びても、

もう any more, no longer, already,
どうでもいい I do not care; it does not matter to me
 
Last edited:

smaller

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
25
Reaction score
5
Age
42
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Ah, thank you very much! That's rather clearer now, I really appreciate it. I need to keep reading closer than I have been.
 
Top