Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
Everyone keeps on mentioning changes made to how the source material is adapted in a way like the director, Series Composition, producer, etc have complete freedom. Besides the production committee's influence, any change made or any new material has to have the Original Creator, in this case the Mangaka, or at the least their editor's consent. I don't know how it works in Hollywood but Anime and the like make sure that the creator or editor is aware of everything change they plan to make as its originally their content that's being adapted into another format. All those fillers in Naruto, that toriko ending, all of those were done with at least the editor's approval. In addition, the editor-in-chief of Weekly shonen jump is also in the know. If you look at the credits, you'll see under planning ( or 企画) that Shueisha, or other publishers, will have people listed at that almost always has the original work's editor. Heroaca has Monji, Horikoshi's current editor, as well as the editor-in-chief Heishi Yoshihisa and another Jump Editor, Oonishi Kohei, Gintama's former editor, all listed under "企画協力" or Planning cooperation. Even with HxH 2011, the current editor (at the time), Saitou Yuu (齊藤 優), for HxH was involved as you can see in the ending under the aforementioned label. They cannot change stuff as they please.

Its partially why I get irritated when people bash studios for "throwing out Ishida's Drafts!" or other similar things as if they didn't care about Ishida's input. Ishida, in some way, was aware of everything that was changed or could not be included and in some way or another, consented.
There's always cases like this that of Hyouge Mono.
and having the creator consent doesn't mean it will be good.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
There is certainly some mistranslation of mistake in this case. It also seem the same happened for the guinness world record.

Just the latest volume of the series announced that in Japan the series reached the 345 Million copies in print. Are you telling me that the rest of the world only printed 5 Million copies of One Piece, when France alone each year prints 1 Million, and that for at least 5 years.

The Voucher for One Piece Tokyo Tower had information that One Piece had reached 320 Million copies in Japan and 380 Million in the world(with France being the best abroad country with 9 Million copies). And this was a little before the Guiness World record that came with a number close to 320 Million, 328 if I'm not mistaken. Those numbers also didn't came alone, and The Voucher had the story of One Piece print as well, providing more evidence of the veracity of it.!
So basically the Guinness ~328 million is actually Japan-only print and not worldwide print, correct? I do know about the OP Tokyo Tower thing but I never make the connection between that information and the Guinness's information. My bad :p
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Shueisha's started doing a "Jump Goddesses Fair", which is promotion for the 4 raunchy colored series from Jump (Yuragi, TLRD, Wonder Rabbit Girl, and World's End Harem).
They give a leaflet with uncensored versions of the new art shown for buying a volume.
Also there's a website for the colored volumes' previews: http://www.mangabroadcast.jp/jmegami/

 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
So you're comparing a ton, and by a ton I'm really talking of a ton, of series with bad pacing, with one series that you think has bad pacing. Also note that having parts badly paced is different than having bad pacing throughout. Pacing is not a constant in an entire series.

That you think we are better without long animes I know! I think the opposite. Still the amount of long running series didn't diminished, what happened is the amount of short series increased, exponentially.



What has your love for the original series and familiarity has anything to do with the adaptation and its change? If you're a person that doesn't like change in the things that you love, that just makes you a person that doesn't like change. It has nothing to do with going against what an adaptation is. What you feel about something has nothing to do with that thing contradicting itself or not.
What if I am a person that loves change. And a manga that I'm used and love has a faithful adaptation, and when I watch it I feel disappointed, because you know I'm seeing the exact same thing and the same perspective than what I already seen many times. Does that makes faithfulness in an adaptation going against what an adaptation is supposed to be? Exists Many people with that way of thinking, that an adaptation is only worthwhile if it offers a new perspective into the original work.

The simple answer to the integrity(fallacy) of the adaptation is NO. What I'm expecting of an adaptation and what I feel about it has nothing to do with the integrity of the adaptation.
An adaptation at heart is just the use of the source series as a base and transport that base to a new medium. If just the base is used and the rest transformed or everything is used like in the source is irrelevant in the end. This is the old debate about conservationism(faithfulness) and progressiveness(change).
In my opinion what matters is if the choice made for better or worse adaptation or not(While HxH 1999 changes made it better, Bokurano anime adaptation is the worst changing adaptation to ever exist).

The stupid debate between unique and generic. Before debate about them define both of those concepts concretely and then explain in detail why one is good and the other is bad. Before that, just throwing those two words at me means close to nothing, because they are vague and certainly there is a agreement between us what each of those concepts really mean.
I don't think that HxH manga nor the 2011 are in any way unique. And I don't think the 1999 is generic.

The Gon thing, and I didn't talk of Nanika but that is in the same boat, didn't made part of the argument I was making and in fact it was a "putting thing into your mouth" sort of thing done by the person defending 2011, so I address it. Basically he said that ANY people that thinks the 1999 is better than the 2011 also thinks Gon is bullshit, and so because that is wrong they are also wrong into the first claim. This is a pretty shitty argument, an Ad Hominem and so a Fallacy. But as a person that in fact thinks Adult Gon was bullshit(and in fact I also think Kurapika heart mega power boost is one too) I had to explain that it wasn't wrong to believe that was Bullshit.
...Okay. I guess?

Though I never said that you preferring one over another is bad? I simply said I did not like what they did with the 1999 series? You went on a whole tirade about this but it seems you missed my point or ignored it completely. What is "good"? To you the changes in 1999 are "good". Does that mean that they are objectively the best things that happened to the franchise? Not really? I never said 2011 was objectively superior, I simply said I like it more because it's more faithful to the source material which, honestly, i like more than both anime. The thing with your entire argument is that you're trying to say your opinion ---->1999 is better because of the changes to the work, is a fact, when it is, in fact your opinion. I even said it that I'd tell anyone who's getting into HXH to at least watch the 1999 series on the artistic merits. I am not trying to sell anyone on my opinion that 2011 is better. I even said it myself a few times that while 2011 is more faithful it has it's shortcomings, but despite those I like 2011 more, and that's it. You're not going to tell me that because I do not like the changes that were made in this instance that I'm someone who doesn't like change. I didn't assume that about you, so don't do it to me.

Though to address the other thing, I'll say this once more and then that's it. When I'm reading a manga and find that it's getting an anime, I want to see my favorite scenes animated as I saw in the original work, not something that sort of does the same thing. You even gave an example of Bokurano that destroys most of your argument. What if people saw the changes to that series as "good"? Who are you to say they're objectively bad because you didn't like them? What if I thought they were good? It's a change to the original right? That's my point, what is a "good" change and what is a "bad" change is up to who's watching it. The way you're wording this, you're saying all changes are good things, yet you go *back* and say that a change was a bad thing.

Furthermore I didn't put any words in your mouth. I stated that blaming 2011 for how bad that arc was is a misnomer because they animated what the manga did. Now if you're saying manga is shit because of that arc, fine. You're entitled to that. If you're saying the 2011 version adapted that arc badly, that's understandable too, but it doesn't make sense to say "2011 sucks because it adapted this arc that was in the manga!" So...they shouldn't have? Even though the whole point of the anime was to adapt new things? That makes no sense to me.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
You know you are legendary when you have a manga award on its own. :P
https://www.shonenjump.com/j/mangasho/shinsekai/
I have a lot of respect for Oda and having him judging the contestants makes me think that something good can come from this award. The contestant just have to not be afraid of applying their stories even if they are not that battle shounen that Jump is striving for... Oda already praised Your Lie in April before, so he is not limited to battle shounen.
 
Last edited:

AllEyez

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
80
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Country
Mariejoa
You know you are legendary when you have a manga award on its own. :P
https://www.shonenjump.com/j/mangasho/shinsekai/
I have a lot of respect for Oda and having him judging the contestants makes me think that something good can come from this award. The contestant just have to not be afraid of applying their stories even if they are not that battle shounen that Jump is striving for... Oda already praised Your Lie in April before, so he is not limited to battle shounen.
So this award is named after him?what is it?

My translator dont work
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
the award is called new world as in One Piece's new world

preview for the new miniseries on Jump Giga

 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Look at that Kei Monri.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I hope all of them get translated
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

What does Bevengers even mean???
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Looks a lot better than last year's Giga. Looking forward to Higuma, also might try and get the oneshot for that done next week.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia

What does Bevengers even mean???
You mean Bvengers.
Hahaha. Didn't even notice that. This series just keeps outdoing itself XD.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
You mean Bvengers.
Hahaha. Didn't even notice that. This series just keeps outdoing itself XD.
To be fair, though it is still trash, it got much better since its horrible beginning. Atleast, Fire Punch earned my respect with its Transman-character, which was much better portrayed than it actually should be in that kind of manga. Sadly, the comment section, where I've read that chapter were full of a*holes, making fun of it.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
To Love-Ru 4 volumes: 1 million
Nisekoi 4 volumes: 1 million
Yuragi 5 volumes: 1 million
So, not as successful early on.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Nisekoi did it without ecchi so it's more remarkable.
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
Now that I think about it, it is truly remarkable how a terrible series like Nisekoi performed that well, guess people have really terrible standards considering who won in the end.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top