Seinen Übel Blatt

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,859
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Title:Ubel Blatt
Genres:Seinen, Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Author:Shiono Etorouji
Artist:Shiono Etorouji
Publication:Young Gangan
Start Date:2005
End Date:Ongoing
Number of chapters at review:41
Number of chapters read by reviewer:41

General Overview: In order to end a great war between a land called Wischtech and a country called Szaalanden. The emperor of Szaalanden sent 14 young hero's on a mission to defeat Wischtech, giving each a lance. Three would die along the way. Four betray the group. Seven achieved their mission and returned as heroes. Getting wealth and power as their reward.

Now twenty years have passed, and the lances of betrayal have reappeared in the border lands. A mysterious young swordsman named Koinzell suddenly appears and kills an entire group of their soldiers. Who is he? What is his goal? You'll have to read to find out.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)


Art:7
Ubel Blatt's art is a mixed bag. The actions, attacks, and monsters are all very well drawn. Most characters look quite good but there is a lot of repetition in their features, hair and facial features in particular. This leads to new characters looking a lot like old ones with a slightly different outfits and haircuts. The backgrounds don't really stand out as good or bad. The artist clearly doesn't put much effort into them most of the time, but it doesn't really hinder his storytelling so i won't penalize him too much for it.


Plot:9
This is a plot driven manga with no shortage of surprises and plot twists. Koinzell's deep tragic story serves as an excellent driving force for it. Though be warned, due to the dark nature of the story humorous moments are few and far between in this particular manga.


Characters:7
The characters are, for the most part, excellent. Like many other fantasy manga's Ubel Blatt is not at all shy about using stereotypes, but the author makes sure there is an emotional under layer that keeps the characters compelling and helps you get attached to them.

The villains in this tale are a different matter though, they don't seem to get much depth at all and many seem to be driven by nothing more than the author's need for them to be bad guys.


Theme:9
At first glance you would think the main theme is "revenge" but i think "betrayal" is more accurate. Revenge suggests the desire to get even or inflict suffering on those who wronged you, but that isn't what Ubel Blatt is about at all. There is much more sadness to Koinzell than there is anger.


Originality:8
The author really does a good job of creating a world for the events of the story to take place in. The plot and the way the story is told are also rather creative. I can't say more without spoilers, naturally.


Overall: 8
This is good manga with great story telling and a lot of action. It's story is rather dark though and lacks humor. I recommend it for those who are fans of Berserk, they have certain thematic elements in common.







 
Last edited:

Hayashida

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Ubel Blatt

im ga ga for young gan gan
you've sold me

cheers for the review
 

crazy_horse1989

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
808
Reaction score
128
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Re: Ubel Blatt

i tried once to read it, but i don`t know why, this series just didn`t make any sense for me... the art is kinda erratic, and i mean that i couldn`t tell the age of the main character, nor the age of the other characters... i remember there was once a young girl giving herself to the main character and i was like "WTF, already loli? o_O"... not to mention the elf-like ears... or maybe it`s just me being nit-picky? -_-;

anyways, since you rate it that high, why not give it a second chance? a good review, thanks for the suggestion... :)
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,859
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Ubel Blatt

Thank you.:D

I think your comments about the art are quite accurate. There are reasons for his choices, that i won't get into because of spoilers, but a lot of the characters do look young. Unusually so for a Seinen.:)

As for the plot not making sense. I would guess you only read the first few chapters, it keeps the true plot a bit of a mystery at first. Read a little further and i think you will be impressed, it all comes together quite nicely. Then the real story begins.:amuse
 
Last edited:

crazy_horse1989

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
808
Reaction score
128
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Re: Ubel Blatt

well, yeah, i wasn`t talking about the plot when i said it wasn`t making any sense, i meant the series as a whole... that`s the main reason i didn`t say anything about the plot, `cuz i haven`t read enough to shape up an 100% accurate overall idea, so yeah... :sweatdrop
 

jack4s

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Slovenia
Re: Ubel Blatt

nice reviews, without spoilers.
i realy like this manga since main character show emotions and because he is realy smart, skilled and he doesn't go all out if it's not neded.
 

Harlett

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
257
Reaction score
7
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Re: Ubel Blatt

Ubel Blatt is a manga that I discovered for curiosity

Well... I like it
And I have to say that this kind of stories don't attract me very much but this manga is ahm...

Sorry... I don't know certainly but is really interesting so then I give it a chance...

Revenge or betrayal?
Yes...
When I was read more and more about the story had things that I don't expect it

By the way...
What means 'Ubel blatt'?
I have a little idea but I don't sure about it



Oh really...
The first time when I saw to Kainzell I thought that HE was a GIRL LOL
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,859
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Ubel Blatt

Harlett said:
By the way...
What means 'Ubel Blatt'?
I have a little idea but I don't sure about it
The name is German. It means "Evil Blade"..... I think.
 

1211

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
194
Reaction score
242
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Re: Ubel Blatt

The name is German. It means "Evil Blade"..... I think.
It actually translates to evil sheet, not evil blade, blatt = sheet in german, and it's spelled like this "Übel Blatt" so crappy Babelfish translations FTW I'd say :eyeroll
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,859
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Ubel Blatt

Thanks for the correction. I always thought that name seemed a little off.:amuse

"Evil Sheet" would make much more sense. I don't speak much German, that was just the translation on the wiki page. As for the umlaut, i realize it's spelled with one, sadly i have no idea how to type that(no button on my keyboard for that).:p
 

1211

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
194
Reaction score
242
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Re: Ubel Blatt

you just need to use the correct alt + numpad combination, in my case it's easier cus I got a dutch keyboard and I just have to type " + u, which is great ^^ layout is exactly the same as a US keyboard :) anyways cheers for the review
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,859
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Don't know if anybody still cares but it seems "Übel Blatt" was intended to mean "Evil Blade" even though it really doesn't mean that.:darn

From the the posts I've read from those who speak german as their native tongue, all seem to agree that "Übel Blatt" just doesn't make all that much sense in german. "Üble Klinge" seems to be closer to what he meant. The generally accepted theory as to why this is would be that the author thought "Blatt", probably taken from the german word for a saw blade "Sägeblatt", sounded cooler and said to himself "Screw it, i'm going with this word". Or maybe he used google translator and picked the word he liked the most with little regard to the actual meaning.:p

So i guess "Evil Blade", which in retrospect fits the plot well, seems to have been what the author intended the title to mean and in his defense i too think the name "Übel Blatt" sounds cool whether or not it makes sense to a person who speaks german.:amuse
 
Last edited:

siegfried

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
405
Reaction score
3
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
Yay, I can write "ü" too, lol. :)

I like this manga, at most times at least. Sometimes the righteousness obsession of the hero just annoys me but it is a fine manga nevertheless.

Btw, I cant understand why some mangakas are so into using foreign words in their mangas. Cant they think of original names anymore? Bleach using spanish, this manga german, I have seen some manga using italian. Most mangakas use english anyway. I just dont think it contributes to those mangas in any way.
 

1TrueSensei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
1,156
Reaction score
1,363
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
The 1TrueSensei approves of this review:thumbs lol. I just "discovered" this manga about two weeks ago, and it's already one of my faves on Onemanga. Despite the high loli-content which usually puts me off a manga within the first few chapters, this story's plot is good enough to make me look past that. This is definitely one of those stories I'm looking forward to keeping up with.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Personally, I'm willing to cut the authors some slack in terms of foreign language skills... I mean there are plenty more ridicules English/Spanish attempts for phrases/titles in various work that it's just not something I'd hold against Shiono.

I'm especially impressed with his background stories at the end of the tanks. I mean... WOW... it reminds me of reading the appendix of Lord of the Rings. The writings, which is mainly background story and culture of this fantasy world, showed me how much effort he placed in his work.
 

Majek

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
190
Reaction score
29
Gender
Male
Country
Slovenia
It's just the name, chapter titles are fine and they're all in german.
 

cooltox

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 27, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Age
44
Gender
Male
Country
Venezuela
I would like to know if right now this serie is in a hiatus or is ongoing mensually??
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,859
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's a hiatus, or maybe was. I'm not sure if it's still on hiatus or not.

Ordinarily Ubel Blatt is published in Young Gangan, which publishes two issues a month on the 1st and 3rd Friday. Right now the english Edited Manga is lagging about 10 chapters behind so it should still be a while before it affects their releases.

Hope that answers your question.:amuse
 
Last edited:

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,764
Reaction score
26,120
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I would like to know if right now this serie is in a hiatus or is ongoing mensually??
From what I've heard from different posters, is that the series is under Hiatus.

Allegedly the author, made a post about it in his blog.

I've also heard from different posters, that the author is working on his "other series" called Broken Blood.

The title maybe wrong.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
From what I've heard from different posters, is that the series is under Hiatus.

Allegedly the author, made a post about it in his blog.

I've also heard from different posters, that the author is working on his "other series" called Broken Blood.

The title maybe wrong.
Thx for the info...
It is a pity that it's on hiatus...it seems that the story is a bit rushed, so I was wondering with such a pace what developments can be added...I was really into this manga
 
Top