Football 2010 FIFA World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 30, 2008
Messages
5,568
Reaction score
6,349
Gender
Female
Country
United States
To the mods, I apologize in advance if creating this thread goes against the rules since there’s already a soccer thread; it’s just that it’s the World Cup so I thought it would be cool if it had its own thread. Please delete this tread if it breaks the rules.

--------------------------------------------------------------

2010 FIFA World Cup






The 2010 FIFA World Cup will be the 19th FIFA World Cup, the premier international football tournament. It is scheduled to take place between 11 June and 11 July 2010 in South Africa. The 2010 FIFA World Cup will be the culmination of a qualification process that began in August 2007 and involved 204 of the 208 FIFA national teams.
List of qualified teams

The following 32 teams qualified for the final tournament.

AFC (4)
• Australia
• Japan
• Korea DPR
• Korea Republic

CAF (6)
• Algeria
• Cameroon
• Côte d'Ivoire
• Ghana
• Nigeria
• South Africa (hosts)

CONCACAF (3)
• Honduras
• Mexico
• United States

CONMEBOL (5)
• Argentina
• Brazil
• Chile
• Paraguay
• Uruguay

OFC (1)
• New Zealand

UEFA (13)
• Denmark
• England
• France
• Germany
• Greece
• Italy
• Netherlands
• Portugal
• Serbia
• Slovakia
• Slovenia
• Spain
• Switzerland
Thanks to Jin (~Buggy*Fly~) for the info!

Group A

South Africa
Mexico
Uruguay
France

Group B

Argentina
Nigeria
South Korea
Greece

Group C

England
United States
Algeria
Slovenia

Group D

Germany
Australia
Serbia
Ghana

Group E

Netherlands
Denmark
Japan
Cameroon

Group F

Italy
Paraguay
New Zealand
Slovakia

Group G

Brazil
North Korea
Ivory Coast
Portugal

Group H

Spain
Switzerland
Honduras
Chile
It seemed so far away four years ago but finally the Cup is just around the corner...

As a soccer fan, I’m really looking forward to the World Cup. It’s always so fun and exciting to watch the best of the best playing and working hard to win the coveted title of World Champion. So here’s a thread to discuss everything regarding the 2010 FIFA World Cup.:)

Let’s start the topic with this question:

What team or teams are you going to be rooting for?

I’m going to be rooting for Brazil, as I always do in every World Cup. I really want them to win this time.

Other teams I will be rooting for but not as much as for Brazil are Italy and Spain.

But what about you guys? Which ones are your teams?
 
Last edited:

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Please don't merge this thread, Blai/Charlie-San. :(
This WC is very special and it deserves it's own thread dammit. :shakefist


Hey Destiny!

It would be cool if you could edit your post and add this information:

Group A

South Africa
Mexico
Uruguay
France

Group B

Argentina
Nigeria
South Korea
Greece

Group C

England
United States
Algeria
Slovenia

Group D

Germany
Australia
Serbia
Ghana

Group E

Netherlands
Denmark
Japan
Cameroon

Group F

Italy
Paraguay
New Zealand
Slovakia

Group G

Brazil
North Korea
Ivory Coast
Portugal

Group H

Spain
Switzerland
Honduras
Chile

It's better to have the group tables in your post rather than dividing the nations up by their regions. :)

I can't wait to see the Group G matches. :XD
North Korea are going to go home very early imo.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
I dont think it will be merged, there was a separate one for the euro's. =/
Anyway I'll be supporting England. Anything past the QF's is an achievement as far as im concerned.

My pick for favourites is Spain then Brazil. Everyone else has major issues that need sorting out before the tournament begins.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,736
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
I'm really looking forwards the cup too. My bets (and hopes) are on Spain, and after them Brazil and Netherlands. Ivory Coast might be a wild card, at least Drogba has a high chance of being the goal king, though the team is in a tight spot with Brazil and Portugal in the same group.

Argentina is strong too, but I think the biggest obstacle between them and the championship is Maradona. He ain't really a impressive coach.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really hoping England can do something big in this year's tournament, if not then I'd like to see Spain win it. You can bet Germany will be there or thereabouts the latter stages, they are true specialists.
 

One Eyed Sharingan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
573
Reaction score
68
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
as always, I'm rooting for Deutschland!!!


even Arc agrees!!!
 
Last edited:

DLord.Van.Buuren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
1,226
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
im betting on brazil this year for the win .
 

Pirulito

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
3,346
Reaction score
726
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
We don't have such stars like in 2006 (It's unbelievable we lost back then), but this year WC is ours.
Don't let me cry again, Brazil! Bring me the sixth star!

But I admit, I'm afraid of Holland and Spain.
 
Last edited:

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Ok here are some of my random thoughts/bets for this coming WC...
I say at some point in the tournament:

England will face Argetina .
Brazil will face Italy.
Robben will be carried off of the field with a broken leg.
Terry will get booed and Beckham will start crying....
 

DanielKnoT

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2010
Messages
344
Reaction score
105
Gender
Male
Country
Venezuela
Am following for these teams..

- Portugal -> Cristiano Ronaldo
- Argentina -> Messi
- Spain -> Euro Champioms..

Too bad for Ronaldinho, Francesco Totti, Michael Ballack, will not be in the world cup.... :(
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,736
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
Hmm, should we start Mangahelpers FIFA Fantasy Football league?
 

Saintz0r

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
1,414
Reaction score
192
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It's obvious Brasil'll win, reason:
94-Champions
98-Lost to France
02-Champions
06-Lost to France
:XD The only bad thing about this pattern is that it means we won't win the cup at home :p

But seriously, if I had to bet money it'd be on Netherlands or England
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Come on what's with the Brasil fixation... I think the European teams are very strong this year.

Favourite: Spain (sorry Brasil but Spain has the best team of the world and brings the best football of the world since years now)

Brasil, Italy, Netherlands and Germany will do pretty good too because they have always been good tournament players

I consider England as the biggest outsider. Pretty solid team with a very good coach who knows what realistic football play means
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Brasil, Italy, Netherlands and Germany will do pretty good too because they have always been good tournament players

I consider England as the biggest outsider. Pretty solid team with a very good coach who knows what realistic football play means
I wouldn't put Holland as a tournament team. There is always something that derails their chances. But i agree about the others, even when they are bad they go far. Which is especially true of Germany. Even now, individually they are not good, in fact i would say that they only one of their players can be considered world class. So you can expect them to win the damn thing. :darn
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,736
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
If you guys are interested, I created a MH-league to McDonadl's FIFA World Cup Fantasy. It's game where you create your fantasy team of all the World Cup players, and each round you get points depending on how well your players did in the actual matches. You need to crate an account to play. You can start choosing players starting from 4th.

After you have the account go to "My leagues" and the code of the league. Here is the code for Mangahelpers league; 288477-71304.
 
Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,332
Reaction score
24,939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Ah, finally the greatest sport event in the world is about to start.... Can't wait, I honestly have been counting the seconds since the germany cup ended lol....

Personally, I want italy to win although I do feel there are a couple other teams who have an honestly better shot. IMHO brazil will be reasonably dangerous. Argentina should be a decent contestant this year but as long as they have maradona as a coach they won't have it in them to even be a 0 to the left. Argentina simply won't work, its that simple.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
@destiny, no worries. I'd created such a thread myself soon anyways. We had it stickied 2006 and 2008 too.

Germany is already down several players, including our captain, due to training injuries. Just yesterday another one was injured. So I wouldn't bet on a top score but I expect the quarter finals nonetheless.
 
Last edited:

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I thought I was active here, planned to make a thread like this, and there's already one.... with two pages of post.... *doh

Anyway, to put it short, I'd top seed Netherlands, Spain, Brazil and Portugal for their insane offense.

I'd put Germany here but since they have, as eni said, a lot of injured players, I doubt they'll reach the top four. But, it will be a really interesting tourney from that PoV too because now we'll see some new players and hopefully they've put together a young hungry team who dares to play "entertainin" soccer. Like some of the Icehockey teams (Swe, Can, Swi) in the WC some weeks ago.

I'd put Argentina here too but since Maradona is a r*tard and doesn't know how to put together a team, nor how to coach it, I'm afraid it'll be a fiasco.

Where's the defence? Oh, he didn't "like" their best national defenders, so yeah, put in some volatile defenders and hope for the best ;pPpPppPPPp

....

Gawd, someone please give him the foot after the WC, Argentina is WAY too good for him...

Ooh, and Nigeria for sure, go go svennis go \o/... no?.. :oh
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
Since this is the first worldcup to be held in Africa, I highly expect at least one of the african teams to shine. South Africa themselves as hosts might be carried along, but I wouldn't bet on it. Algeria is next on my list, but they hardly have a chance, just like Ghana (they are up against Germany ;P and one of their players injured 'our' captain *rages*).
Cameroon, Nigeria and Côte d'Ivoire are the ones I hope to enter round of 16 / quarter finals =3 (aside from the usual european teams <.<;)

Also don't forget to get you Vuvuzela in time, it needs some practising before you can do it
 

pandaaqueen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Messages
1,235
Reaction score
1,363
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
If I had to bet, I'd say that the Netherlands, Italy, Brazil or Spain have got what it takes to win the World Cup. Even though it would be certainly wicked, I doubt that Germany will come very far; too many good players are injured. I'm not talking about Ballack, though. Imo, he's a bit overrated.

Since this is the first worldcup to be held in Africa, I highly expect at least one of the african teams to shine.
That could very well happen, yes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top