Politics 2012 USA Presidential Elections

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
nope didnt say good at governing
Oops. Sorry, I misread that as "not just at governing". ;^^

what makes living off welfare sustainable? lack of ambition? lack of responsibility? immunity to an inferior quality of life? How can these things be fixed?
No, what makes living off of welfare monetarily sustainable. I think there's often another factor at play. Do they have parents providing housing to crash at? A business on the side? Or just plain unable to get a job in this hellish market (where you are unable to get a job unless you are friends with them, so screw the high school grads and the older folks)?

I see lack of responsibility in most humans around me. It's hardly limited to only welfare recipients. All humans have personality flaws. How do you enforce "personal responsibility"?

Agreed, a calm demeanor is required to make good decisions. But Obama did not exemplify that in the debate, he just stopped with the calm demeanor. That he can make good decisions as a result is mere speculation for now.
The only failure I really saw was inability to come to the point, and that's a universal flaw of older folks.

On the other hand Romney showed enthusiasm, something basic you look for in job interviews.
Enthusiasm in taking the system apart, yes. A real plan to do it, no.

"I am entitled to pick who and what I pay for" - unfortunately this message will connect with a lot of people, because everyone, even some slackers think this way. So the 47-gate will not be as damaging as it sounds.
It's frightening though. Because nobody can live up to those expectations of purity. We'd all be dinged for spending ~7hrs/week posting on manga forums. If I were out of work, I'd be accused of not working hard enough or not having ambition. It's funny that way. There's no attitude about helping people and addressing the problems, only "let them die".

I don't think he has done enough for the whole debt control thing which has the world on its toes. I can't say I have an opinion on whether Romney is the president the US needs although perhaps I would choose him just to have someone different from obama and see what happens (perhaps this view is heavily influenced by me being reasonably (perhaps heavily) individualistic and dislike the idea of large governments though).
It is really hard to see what Romney will do, with his claims changing from week to week. The president is also not a dictator, so neither Romney nor Obama can implement sweeping reforms (and for all that's said about Obamacare changing everything, it still leaves the power in the health insurance companies that routinely demonstrate themselves not to be trusted.) Romney could kill Obamacare and I don't think it'd change much. He could repeal immigrant work permits. He could neglect contraceptive and abortion cases. Overall, life wouldn't change much for me, though the rest of the world would view America as a laughingstock (Europe was not impressed with Romney). If there are four more years of Obama, life still wouldn't change much.

I suppose I just feel sick at what Romney represents. The lie of American business. The ever-self-important delusion that wealth conveys entrepreneurship. Investors are not entrepreneurs. Wealth does not necessarily mean you are good at what you do (though you might be). Generally wealth just means you were at the right place and right time. Invention is a labor of love and risk to do something real. Investment is simply picking and choosing what you like. Romney is no entrepreneur. He is an investor who is deeply bought into the delusion that he invented new products and created jobs. He might have provided the money, but he didn't invent or implement the product. And yet we give him money and the credit for providing money. Isn't it lunacy?
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,333
Reaction score
24,941
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
The GOP is blunt in terms of governing strategy and not updated or sensitized to a changed world. Still on tax cuts and trickle down.

How did the clinton terms cause the crisis? This is the first time I am hearing this. I have mixed opinions about the Bush terms. But he is simply not a leader, just a lay person. He shouldn't have been President.

Right now we need democrats in the house if you wanna reign in the debt. We would also do well to tax the top 5%. While I personally despise selective taxation, it is needed now to avoid civil unrest and economic implosion. If we hold on to the ideal of individualism now, that is all we will be left with. Sad but true. Such a situation needs to be avoided another time.

And frankly their Bible waving is embarrassing and puts us in the same category as Iran. I thought America was about freedom and here you have these people making election arguments on personal choices (abortion, gays etc). This is a more recent perversion the GOP has acquired.
From what I have read many of the things which lead to the subprime crisis actually had starts all the way back at clinton's administration and that was one of the major causes, if not the major cause of the economic recession.

Democrats are not that eager on debt control. I mean, they are all good about raising taxes and decreasing war expenditure (at least as far as what they say) however they are also all about increasing expenditure in a number of other areas. Those areas might be important (health mostly) but they have not really done anything to lower spending which IMO would be a must in regards to controlling the debt. From what I gather debt has not been reduced or even maintain with obama, it has increased.

My own impression is that taxing the top 5% would not really do much, it is more political than anything. I mean, how much money would that be? Would that cause at least a long term dent on the debt? Would that money even go to managing the debt? If I was on that 5%, would it go to things which benefit me in some form? The basic idea of taxation makes sense, society pays taxes and it gets something in return. Schools, roads, and a number of other things which we learn in economics classes.

The bible waving is not something I would ever agree too though, that much seems insane from my own point of view.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

It is really hard to see what Romney will do, with his claims changing from week to week. The president is also not a dictator, so neither Romney nor Obama can implement sweeping reforms (and for all that's said about Obamacare changing everything, it still leaves the power in the health insurance companies that routinely demonstrate themselves not to be trusted.) Romney could kill Obamacare and I don't think it'd change much. He could repeal immigrant work permits. He could neglect contraceptive and abortion cases. Overall, life wouldn't change much for me, though the rest of the world would view America as a laughingstock (Europe was not impressed with Romney). If there are four more years of Obama, life still wouldn't change much.

I suppose I just feel sick at what Romney represents. The lie of American business. The ever-self-important delusion that wealth conveys entrepreneurship. Investors are not entrepreneurs. Wealth does not necessarily mean you are good at what you do (though you might be). Generally wealth just means you were at the right place and right time. Invention is a labor of love and risk to do something real. Investment is simply picking and choosing what you like. Romney is no entrepreneur. He is an investor who is deeply bought into the delusion that he invented new products and created jobs. He might have provided the money, but he didn't invent or implement the product. And yet we give him money and the credit for providing money. Isn't it lunacy?
Even if the whole thing was as bad as you make it sound, what is the difference? Being at the right place at the right time would have made enough of a difference even in those negative terms. How would anyone produce anything without wealth being involved? What good is a product that generates no wealth? Even if dumb luck resulted in getting wealth it was still enough of a difference so that people would get jobs out it (depending on the type of investment) and taxes would be paid over them. Even if he didn't invent the product, the risk he took over an investment would be enough, perhaps the difference between a product being there and it not being there (and the jobs that would come with that).
 

Zehahaha

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 7, 2009
Messages
8,501
Reaction score
5,714
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
I don't want to sound pessimistic or something, but higher taxes, lower taxes, control debt etc are NOT the main problems... The political system as we know it now is facing a crisis, or rather has reached its limits, the same for economical system too. The biggest dangers or problems that are facing the economy are wealth distribution and greed, and ofc, this happened because the Economy as a " science " (well funny how some economists don't even consider it a science) has lost it's human touch, it considers human beings as nothing more than data, a variable... Which is quite dangerous

As for the political system (aka democracy in general), the biggest danger is a new kind of illitrecy, I'm not even talking about writing/calculating or even using the computer, I'm talking about extremely dangerous : How the educational system do not produce people able to " think " and able to distinguish what's " good " and " bad " for them, and more than that, we're just mass producing " donkeys " (excuse me for the term) who are just programmed or something like that. A person who does have some values, who can " think ", who is kinda logical, but doesn't know to write or anything of the sort is x100 better than someone who knows how to write, but doesn't think for himself at all.

Another thing also : The " I " overcame the " We ". And that is dangerous, everybody is just looking for his own interests even if it means that his neighbor, brother, will have to deal with severe consequences thanks to his act. Selfishness is also dangerous.

The reason I'm saying this is : Wether Romney, or Obama, or whatever... It won't change much
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,333
Reaction score
24,941
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, economy as a science can't really think of people as more than that in any scenario. The whole thing would go from extremely difficult and subjective to outright impossible as it would be impossible to factor in things beyond people as a number. Even microeconomics end up seeing things from a perspective in which one person is simply too small. What do you mean by dangerous though? What dangers exactly are you talking about?

As far as distinguishing good and bad I think we should start by whether the educational system should be teaching that at all. There is a good chunk of the whole thing which is plain subjective to begin with and could easily get in the way of what parents want to teach their kids. If anything the system should focus on the legal and ethical aspects which concern living in society however any more than that can cause troubles. Thinking for yourself, individuality... can those things even be taught? I would argue that in the US those things are already taught, the issue would be that those things as a goal are overwhelmingly difficult to obtain regardless of the educational system. I am more of the idea that individuality and thinking for yourself are enough of a personal matter in which an educational system should not get involved in. Educational systems should focus on teaching math, science and history to whatever degree it is actually possible to pass on those things as objectively as possible (math is objective in an on itself so there is no issue there, what passes on as science can be lost in a number of pseudo science as intelligent design or creationism).

As for romney and obama.... I agree, neither will change much in the grand scheme of things. Economics are not an exact science and the measures they can take do not necessarily factor in all the things they would have to consider due to their scale. Even as far as the debt thing obama has been mediocre and even though romney is all about cutting expenses he does not seem to hellbent on cutting military but rather he seems to want to increase it (although that gets specially murky when behind that there are the employed soldiers and the enormous weapons and iron industry which they feed).
 

Zehahaha

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 7, 2009
Messages
8,501
Reaction score
5,714
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Well, economy as a science can't really think of people as more than that in any scenario. The whole thing would go from extremely difficult and subjective to outright impossible as it would be impossible to factor in things beyond people as a number. Even microeconomics end up seeing things from a perspective in which one person is simply too small. What do you mean by dangerous though? What dangers exactly are you talking about?
I find it quite dangerous to consider humans as nothing more than a variable, or simple data, is that it makes human beings unexceptional (shit I can't find the right word for that, it's " Banal " in french), a simple example : Human being is considered in economics as a being who is interested into maximizing his profit, and thinking about himself in general. Such a view is extremely " heartless " and " cold ", as if humans feelings don't exist... I know it's nearly impossible to introduce " feelings " into mathematical models, hence why economics has lost its human touch (Sorry if I'm being unclear, but I have some trouble finding the right words because I'm studying in a Business School in French so)

I find it quite hilarious how come we don't teach Von Mises book " Human Action ", especially about the Praxeology part which actually makes sense... And how come mainstream economists consider it as garbage, while I find the shit I'm studying right now the " real garbage " (one single example is economics theories that are " built " upon some crazy hypothesis : Like a perfect market for instance, or human being rational etc)



As far as distinguishing good and bad I think we should start by whether the educational system should be teaching that at all. There is a good chunk of the whole thing which is plain subjective to begin with and could easily get in the way of what parents want to teach their kids. If anything the system should focus on the legal and ethical aspects which concern living in society however any more than that can cause troubles. Thinking for yourself, individuality... can those things even be taught? I would argue that in the US those things are already taught, the issue would be that those things as a goal are overwhelmingly difficult to obtain regardless of the educational system. I am more of the idea that individuality and thinking for yourself are enough of a personal matter in which an educational system should not get involved in. Educational systems should focus on teaching math, science and history to whatever degree it is actually possible to pass on those things as objectively as possible (math is objective in an on itself so there is no issue there, what passes on as science can be lost in a number of pseudo science as intelligent design or creationism).
I don't agree
We are already focused into teaching maths, science, history and such, and we actually completely overlooked about Values, and Thinking. I'm putting an emphasis on that because honestly, we don't think anymore, most are like sheep driven by their desires at all. What good if I somehow raised a man who is excellent at Maths, Science etc, but lack values, critical thought etc ? Ofc, it's not up to the school to do that alone, parents, family, should be included in that process too



As for romney and obama.... I agree, neither will change much in the grand scheme of things. Economics are not an exact science and the measures they can take do not necessarily factor in all the things they would have to consider due to their scale. Even as far as the debt thing obama has been mediocre and even though romney is all about cutting expenses he does not seem to hellbent on cutting military but rather he seems to want to increase it (although that gets specially murky when behind that there are the employed soldiers and the enormous weapons and iron industry which they feed).
Can't cut military budget... Sometimes, I even feel that the US Military is a country of its own... Well, just hope that whoever wins it will get better for the US
 
Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,333
Reaction score
24,941
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, as far as "making human being unexceptional" we have to make the consideration of whether humans were unexceptional to begin with or whether these idea is in itself dehumanizing people. Even if this dehumanization was happening, what exactly would be the issue here? Are you suggesting that bad economic policy is being made based on this dehumanization? Help me out with an example here, I can't quite see your point yet.

Math and science are all about thinking though, that's the entire point. The main issue here would be that values are subjective in principle and critical thought is really hard to teach (IMHO). Just look at how different certain values can be different in neighboring towns, cities, countries and so on.... Values in particular make sense within a particular social context but not necessarily in others. Of course that is not to say values are important but if you include them beyond an ethical point of view in schools you would end up limiting the very students who you argue are not thinking (not quite sure if I am all that clear here). Critical thought is even harder... learning how to think is hard, takes time and there is still the issue that the way you think will be heavily influenced by your social context. even when in school you have students analyzing stuff they will generally just show an opinion which they think will get them a good grade (meaning at that point the whole thing lost its point). Beyond teaching kids logical falacies I don't think the very way schools work can actually help. Even then, schools have kids, even if their opinions weren't at large meaningless they still wouldn't be taken seriously until they were full grown adults.

I admit I am also unsure of what you mean by this(I lack a little context here):
What good if I somehow raised a man who is excellent at Maths, Science etc, but lack values, critical thought etc
The idea of someone who is good at maths and has an understanding of science and is generally cultured is already incompatible with the lacking of critical thought to begin with. And whether than person lacks values will end up being highly subjective. From someone's perspective this person could easily be an amoral asshole however he might consider himself a pretty straight person. Or do you mean it about this person ending up as some sort of criminal?
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
Anyone looking forward to the Vice's debate today? I heard it will be "dirtier" as well as more praising for the candidates, is that true? Who do you expect to "lose"?
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Anyone looking forward to the Vice's debate today? I heard it will be "dirtier" as well as more praising for the candidates, is that true? Who do you expect to "lose"?
If there would be any "loser" in a VP debate, I'm betting my money on Biden. Sure, Ryan is a terrible liar, but his speech is quite eloquent and it seems that he has more confidence than Biden. I'm still hoping this debate is more intense compared to the Pres candidate debate though, which I found pretty boring.

I'm not sure whether this site is partisan or not, but I found a very interesting article about Ryan. A long read, but worth your time here
 
Last edited:

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Joe Biden started out well, but faded away at the end. Ryan had some good points about the "broken promises" and finished strong. Good debate.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
^ Hmm. To me, it honestly looked like Biden was using Ryan as a punching bag most of the time. It started rough for Biden, but he quickly overpowered Ryan. In other note, the moderator was a million times better this debate.
 
Last edited:

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
3,940
Reaction score
1,649
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I didn't get to see much of the debate, but from the small portion I saw it seemed like Biden was going to verbally destroy Ryan. Which I'm glad for.
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
So the contents were annulled and Ryan "won" in style. Could it be that media is a tad bit biased? One week the more active guy wins, the other the passive one, but oh wait, the winners are always Republicans. what a joke, CNN.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,333
Reaction score
24,941
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, given how the debates are structured who wins will to a large degree be left to the observer. If the guys cnn hires to comment on the matter are republican or more likely to side with ryan to begin with then this sort of debate will naturally get people who agree with ryan to say he won. If cnn had guys who would be to begin with supportive of biden then they would say he won.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
They have to keep the whole "tied till the end" thing I believe, even though in 2008 almost all of the media was on Obama's side. Biden was weird in the debate but Ryan was no Romney either. It was not a good debate, fades away, since all eyes are on Obama for the second one. Only he can change the polls, though the most attention all of this election had gotten was Romney destroying him in the first debate. The historic feel of 2008 is completely gone. I wonder what twists await further though.
 

Zatono

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 6, 2009
Messages
3,940
Reaction score
1,649
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So Romney just said government does not create jobs...wait what? I'm sure he has a reason for saying that, but saying that alone doesn't look too good. From that alone I guess he can't blame Obama for not creating jobs, and I suppose he won't be creating any either if he's elected.

:cookiehand
 
Last edited:

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Obama did much better this time around. Romney looked a little emotionally unsettled during the whole debate. I would be too with election day like three weeks away. I'm still undecided on who to vote for though. I have to to do more research and determine which candidate might benefit me more from being in office for the next four years. Right now I'm in the middle.
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Last night in a nutshell:


Forget the material, it's not like these debates are about that. It's all about who can embarrass his/herself the most.

With a satisfying meme like this, who cannot love the Romney campaign for providing endless hours of joy at their expense?
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Yes, bring in a pipeline from Alaska, drill the shit out of your country & increase coal production and ignore green energy. That is how you create jobs for the middle class. Put them in coal mines, and let the 1% profit from that.

Also, nice job being an irrogant prick ignoring the moderator Romney, she's there for a reason. Stop being such a fucking crybaby, god. I wouldn't vote for him because of that reason alone...
 

foxinthestars

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 19, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I've been watching the debates on Democracy Now! where they bring in some 3rd party candidates. The downside of that is that last time they had the guy who blamed absolutely everything on immigrants stealing our jobs (I admit, being a native-born Midwestern white gal, I had the luxury of laughing at him), but the upside is people who actually want to stop the wars, have a "Green New Deal," and get us a half-civilized healthcare system. I think I'm going to vote for Jill Stein (Green Party), actually.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Wasn't this Obama being asleep the first time and then going hard the 2nd time deal carefully planned? Does anyone feel the same?
 
Top