Football 2014 FIFA World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
If he is so important, the 2nd round will be hard for them. It doesn't change my predictions though.
Yeah, I know it is because of rhythm, I was joking with the fact that this period has too many contusions. It is impressive. XD

Apparently, Portugal is nothing without Cristiano Ronaldo...
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Italy might not even advance to 2nd round, they have the hardest group (arguably, with group B behind), that's why I'm saying it's such a big deal, lol.

Portugal is not a bad team, but they heavily rely on Cristiano. Clearly, if it wasn't because of him, they wouldn't have defeated Sweden.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Can we create our own league for pick 'em? I remember we did it via Yahoo Sports in 2010, I think.
With this one I've seen on Yahoo, you have to create an account on there; something I'm not particularly keen on doing. :bored.

edit: Damn it, it's the same on ESPN. I'll make a group there, if that's okay.

Group Name: MH World Cup 2014

Group Password: mhbrazil14

Group Link: HERE

Lemme know if there is a problem in joining. I've set the bracket number to 2 per user, but I think I'll change it to 1, as there's no need for 2 really. I'll make an announcement tomorrow, so more people can join if they want :nod
 

Saintz0r

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
1,414
Reaction score
192
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Made my bracket and joined the group :)
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I made my bracket and joined the group as well. It is the same as Bloomberg one.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Are you guys clones or something?
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
With that name I expected Uruguay (Suarez) and Brazil (Ney) to be out in group phase :rofl
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
With that name I expected Uruguay (Suarez) and Brazil (Ney) to be out in group phase :rofl
Well, I couldn't really call it, "Fuck Brazil and fuck Argentina," now could I?

I picked my bracket without even having looked at the Dutch squad...I'll need to go revise that. I'll probably switch it to Brazil losing in the SFs to Germany.

Of course, Spain progressing relies on them actually having midfielders who can run and then defenders who can actually read. Also, "King" Iker needs to stop playing for the national team.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm quite curious about MiyamotoMusashi predictions now, he predicted Italy as champion and it sounds impossible now given the circumstances. :p
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'm quite curious about MiyamotoMusashi predictions now, he predicted Italy as champion and it sounds impossible now given the circumstances. :p
Indeed. Then again, ignoring Montilivo for a moment, if Balotelli isn't scoring, and he's not at the moment, Italy was never going anywhere.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Oooh, just now I realised that I can't see other people's Brackets until the WC begins, lol.

What do you mean?
I thought you guys had the same one.

Edit: K, now, this is mine.


---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Well, I couldn't really call it, "Fuck Brazil and fuck Argentina," now could I?

I picked my bracket without even having looked at the Dutch squad...I'll need to go revise that. I'll probably switch it to Brazil losing in the SFs to Germany.

Of course, Spain progressing relies on them actually having midfielders who can run and then defenders who can actually read. Also, "King" Iker needs to stop playing for the national team.
But we don't dive :(

Spain has no chance :arf

¨King¨ Iker? It's Saint Iker, lol.
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
But we don't dive :(

Spain has no chance :arf

¨King¨ Iker? It's Saint Iker, lol.
Sure...Argentina doesn't really dive, but it's really that I'm very anti-Messi these days. He really attempts to stay on his feet, but I still don't like him. I used to actually prefer Messi to Cristiano, but once Messi started really becoming a diva and all of that stuff, it was over for me.

A Saint has to have done something noteworthy. Plenty of people can be kings. :P Now, you could say Saint Iniesta and I'd be on board, but definitely not Iker.

Anyway, I know del Bosque doesn't want to rock the boat, but Iker shouldn't be anywhere near the WC right now. You saw his screw up in the CL Final, and that nearly, and should've, cost Real the title. In Euro 2012, Iker wasn't hacking it either. He hasn't been convincing for the last two plus seasons and yet he's still the Captain of Spain and still starting.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
You really did it with Spain losing in the first round? lol
They don't convince me, but I wouldn't underestimate them that much.

Argentina champion inside Maracanã? It is not gonna happen. XD
You made my country lose to Germany in the semifinal to turn it more realistic? You know that you don't have a chance against us inside the sacred temple of the soccer. :pleased
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Iker gave them the 2010 WC, lol. He saved Spain's ass against Paraguay and against the Netherlands, and he was the best keeper of the last decade. His nickname, in Spanish, is really ¨San Iker¨. Keepers make mitakes often, they are humans, and they play in the most ungrateful position of the game. That's like saying that Chelsea should had been out against PSG in the CL because of Cech's horrible performance in the first match. And... Spain simply doesn't have a better keeper. Diego López isn't even close to him. Reina is a joke. Valdez is injured. De Gea is Manchester United's keeper (lol).

I dunno what your bracket is tho (as I said, we can't see each others' until the WC starts) Do you mind sharing it?

Look what I found in the site:



I know it's ESPN but... lol

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

You really did it with Spain losing in the first round? lol
They don't convince me, but I wouldn't underestimate them that much.

Argentina champion inside Maracanã? It is not gonna happen. XD
You made my country lose to Germany in the semifinal to turn it more realistic? You know that you don't have a chance against us inside the sacred temple of the soccer. :pleased
I think Netherlands is, overall, a better team that Spain. And I really really trust Chile.

Well, Leo, Uruguay did it, I dunno why we wouldn't :derp

Btw, yours is the same as the one you linked in the first page, right?
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
As keeper we have Julio Cesar... In short, I'm worried. :gwah
He was good in the past, but now he doesn't convince even a little. Well, we have a good defense at least.

I think Netherlands is, overall, a better team that Spain. And I really really trust Chile.

Well, Leo, Uruguay did it, I dunno why we wouldn't :derp
Dunno... :hmm

They were lucky. It will not be repeated. :hmph
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Iker gave them the 2010 WC, lol. He saved Spain's ass against Paraguay and against the Netherlands, and he was the best keeper of the last decade. His nickname, in Spanish, is really ¨San Iker¨. Keepers make mitakes often, they are humans, and they play in the most ungrateful position of the game. That's like saying that Chelsea should had been out against PSG in the CL because of Cech's horrible performance in the first match. And... Spain simply doesn't have a better keeper. Diego López isn't even close to him. Reina is a joke. Valdez is injured. De Gea is Mancherster United's keeper (lol).

I dunno what your bracket is tho (as I said, we can't see each others' until the WC starts) Do you mind sharing it?
I'm too lazy to screenshot it, but it's Germany beating Portugal in the Final. I have Portugal beating Belgium, Argentina, and Spain on the way to the Final, three teams that each have one or two major issues. Portugal is a solid team, but nothing great (aside from Cristiano magic), and they would probably be destroyed in the Final against Germany, if such a match were to take place.

Paraguay never should've been competing on Spain's level in that match, which is a failure across the board. If he made a big save or two, well, that was 2010, not 2012 or 2014. The Netherlands was utterly inept in that final and I don't recall Iker doing anything.

Diego Lopez has been better than Iker on a week to week basis. Lopez doesn't have the highs in his career that Iker has, but Lopez also wasn't given the chance to shine on the big stage at any point in his career, truthfully. Buffon shouldn't be starting for Italy at this point either, but he still does based on pedigree and history. I make the exact same argument against Buffon. It's 2014, not 2006 or 2010, and certainly not 2012.

Obviously Reina, Valdes, and De Gea aren't options as they're bard/old, injured, or just not very good. I'd still rather see Iker gone and Diego Lopez starting, and then having Reina as the backup.

Saying a club or national team should be out is far different from an argument against a single player (Spain would do better in the WC with someone other than Iker starting). Based on what we've seen over the past 18 or so months, Courtois is significantly better than Cech, and fans are right to say Courtois should be starting. it's not a one game thing either. Cech's just not been that good lately, and the game against PSG was horrible, but that's not the sole reason I was saying he should be replaced at this point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't part of why you say Iker is the best over the past 10 years because he has those international titles? Buffon has a WC as well, and I'd say that he had a better career as a keeper than Iker ever had. I'd say Cech was about on par with the two of them for their careers, but all three are on the way out.

I'm just going to end this by saying that if I were Diego Lopez and Iker makes some more horrific blunders and I'm sitting at home on my couch because del Bosque shows loyalty to his players (such as Iker), I'd be quite pissed. Iker didn't cover himself in any glory in Euro 2012 either, and since then, he's been injured or benched, basically.
 
Last edited:

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Paraguay had a nice team, and a pretty good Coach :3

You don't recall Iker saving a 1 on 1 against Robben at all?

Dude, Diego just isn't that good... like, he just simply isn't. He had chances to shine (the entire past season, and in this one he was a starter in more than 30 La Liga matches, whereas Iker took care of the Copa del Rey and the CL -guess which ones were won by Madrid btw, lol-). If there isn't anything clearly better to make a change, then why would you do it in the first place?

I said that ¨Chelsea should be out¨ just because you said that ¨Real should had lost it¨.

And I am aware of Buffon's level in the last decade, but the 3 CL Iker has won with Madrid leave him one step above Buffon imo.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Paraguay had a nice team, and a pretty good Coach :3

You don't recall Iker saving a 1 on 1 against Robben at all?

Dude, Diego just isn't that good... like, he just simply isn't. He had chances to shine (the entire past season, and in this one he was a starter in more than 30 La Liga matches, whereas Iker took care of the Copa del Rey and the CL -guess which ones were won by Madrid btw, lol-). If there isn't anything clearly better to make a change, then why would you do it in the first place?

I said that ¨Chelsea should be out¨ just because you said that ¨Real should had lost it¨.

And I am aware of Buffon's level in the last decade, but the 3 CL Iker has won with Madrid leave him one step above Buffon imo.
Paraguay were more lucky than good and Spain even being on equal ground with them was evidence of how poorly Spain were playing.

I do not. The only standout moment from that match is the flying kick.

Over an entire season, it's different and your outfield players aren't always going to perform. The La Liga matches Iker got to play, well, the team was generally bad and Iker wasn't that good.

There was a direct difference. Chelsea had a second leg to play (so an entire new 90 minute match), whereas as Real were just about out (within 90 seconds of going out and Iker's screw up was the difference in that match, at least for the first 80-85 minutes, after which Atletico were tied and out of subs).

To me, part of the winning three CL titles has to do with Madrid having the two Galaticos eras, so a spending money issue, whereas Juve hasn't been that relevant, outside of the Serie A, for a number of years. Sure, they had a decent performance in the 12/13 CL, but that was it and it wasn't repeated the next season. On the other hand, Buffon hasn't had to face players like Messi or Ronaldinho on a regular basis.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top