- Joined
- Jan 28, 2006
- Messages
- 1,623
- Reaction score
- 513
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
I was re-reading chapter 280 with hard rock music (
) and I suddenly realized something I'm surprised I didn't before. 
It's at page seven:

In the bottom panel Grimmjaw says:
How were shinigami-hollow relations before the "thousand years"?
I don't know anything about japanese so maybe the translator translated like that to give us the idea that it has been an eternity since the conflict between the shinigami and hollows started. But wouldn't it be better if the text was "it has been like that for an eternity" or "it has been like that since the begin of time"? I have the suspect that the translator made a literal translation from the japanese and this would mean that the conflict between hollows and shinigami has been going for a thousand years for real and before then there was no conflict. As the answer changes totally depending on the real translation of the bottom panel I put the page seven raw of chapter 280 for convenience:

If the translation is that the conflict between shinigami and hollows has been going on for a thousand years for real then lots of questions arise:
1) how was the world before the conflict started?
2) why did the conflict start?
3) Were there shinigami and hollows around already? Were they able to live together?
4) Or did they (shinigami and hollows) descend from a common ancestor?
What do you think of all this?
PS Can some translators translate the raw page, just to be sure what's the right meaning? Thanks.
) and I suddenly realized something I'm surprised I didn't before. 
It's at page seven:

In the bottom panel Grimmjaw says:
Uhm Grimmjaw says that the war between shinigami and hollows has been going on for a thousand years.Grimmjaw said:"You're a shinigami, I'm an hollow!!"
"The side that loses is annihilated!"
"It has been like that for a thousand years now!"
How were shinigami-hollow relations before the "thousand years"?
I don't know anything about japanese so maybe the translator translated like that to give us the idea that it has been an eternity since the conflict between the shinigami and hollows started. But wouldn't it be better if the text was "it has been like that for an eternity" or "it has been like that since the begin of time"? I have the suspect that the translator made a literal translation from the japanese and this would mean that the conflict between hollows and shinigami has been going for a thousand years for real and before then there was no conflict. As the answer changes totally depending on the real translation of the bottom panel I put the page seven raw of chapter 280 for convenience:

If the translation is that the conflict between shinigami and hollows has been going on for a thousand years for real then lots of questions arise:
1) how was the world before the conflict started?
2) why did the conflict start?
3) Were there shinigami and hollows around already? Were they able to live together?
4) Or did they (shinigami and hollows) descend from a common ancestor?
What do you think of all this?
PS Can some translators translate the raw page, just to be sure what's the right meaning? Thanks.