Done A few sentences I'm having a hard time with

ckrit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
人のこと言えるの? あんただってできすぎてるわ"ノア"なんて

The person called Noa just made fun of this person because of her name and this is her reply.


水に女!!ついてるぜ!!こいつは!!

Here some guys just found a woman (which seem to be rare) and yells out this. I have no idea what they mean with 水に女.


These are the first two, I'll post the rest later as I'm going over my translation.


Thank you in advance ^^
 
Last edited:

Aarowaim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
91
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
人のこと = "People (and the things related to them)"
言える = "(You) may speak of"
の = か in this context
Putting that together, you get "You think you can talk about people?"

あんただって = お前だと(いう) = "Speaking of you"
できすぎてる = 出来る + 過ぎている = "(you) are overdoing it
わ = feminine emphasis/ね

"ノア"なんて = "with a name like Noa" (derisive)

Putting that together, you get "Should you be saying anything about people? Don't you think you're overdoing it, especially with a stupid name like "Noa"?.


In the second one, my first instinct is that 水に女 is short for 水に女がいる (there's a girl in the water).
 

ckrit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Thanks Aarowaim! The first one makes a lot more sense now. 水に女 is a bit strange in the context of this manga, so I'll just leave it open for later.


I have another three sentences here:

1) 人殺しをしたことだってある...

It's the だってある that I'm not sure about.


2) 相手が人殺しを楽しんでするような狂人ならともかく

I've seen ともかく before at the end of a sentence and didn't quite get it, but in combination with なら I'm completely lost.


3) しかし、 それはまだ12・3歳の少女だったんだ

What does the author mean with 12・3歳 here? Can't be like 12 and 1/3 right? >_>
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
人のこと言えるの? あんただってできすぎてるわ"ノア"なんて

The person called Noa just made fun of this person because of her name and this is her reply.


水に女!!ついてるぜ!!こいつは!!

Here some guys just found a woman (which seem to be rare) and yells out this. I have no idea what they mean with 水に女.


These are the first two, I'll post the rest later as I'm going over my translation.


Thank you in advance ^^


(1)人のこと言えるの? あんただってできすぎてるわ"ノア"なんて

Look who's talking. Your name "Noah" is way too perfect.


(2)水に女!!ついてるぜ!!こいつは!!

Is it a hot day? Is the speaker thirsty? Are they in the desert?

水に女!
Water and a woman/lady! (=水と女)
(If the image shows a woman in the water, Aarowaim's translation is fine as well.)

ついてるぜ!*!こいつは!** !
Great!** What a lucky day!*

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

I have another three sentences here:

1) 人殺しをしたことだってある...

It's the だってある that I'm not sure about.


2) 相手が人殺しを楽しんでするような狂人ならともかく

I've seen ともかく before at the end of a sentence and didn't quite get it, but in combination with なら I'm completely lost.


3) しかし、 それはまだ12・3歳の少女だったんだ

What does the author mean with 12・3歳 here? Can't be like 12 and 1/3 right? >_>
人殺しをしたことだってある...
= 人殺しをしたことさえある...
だって=さえ even
I have even killed someone...

狂人ならともかく, ...
Maybe a lunatic could, but ...

相手が人殺しを楽しんでするような This part is describing a lunatic.

3) 12・3歳(じゅうにさんさい) = 12才か13才ぐらいの 

, but that was just a 12 or 13 year old girl.


EDIT:
There is a correction on above. I added a strikethrough.
相手が人殺しを楽しんでするような This part is describing a lunatic.

相手が 人殺しをたのしんでするような 狂人ならともかく、12,3才の ...

It means ....

I would understand it if the/your opponent were a lunatic who enjoys killing others, but that was just a 12 or 13-year-old girl.

Change words around and make your own translation ;)
 
Last edited:

ckrit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium

(2)水に女!!ついてるぜ!!こいつは!!

Is it a hot day? Is the speaker thirsty? Are they in the desert?

水に女!
Water and a woman/lady! (=水と女)
They're in a desert yeah, both women and water seem to be scarce so this one seems to make the most sense. I didn't know に could function as と.



人殺しをしたことだってある...
= 人殺しをしたことさえある...
だって=さえ even
I have even killed someone...

狂人ならともかく, ...
Maybe a lunatic could, but ...

相手が人殺しを楽しんでするような This part is describing a lunatic.

3) 12・3歳(じゅうにさんさい) = 12才か13才ぐらいの 

, but that was just a 12 or 13 year old girl.
And I understand these perfectly now you've given me an explanation, thank you mikkih!

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Another two:

1) ボクは近くにあったコロニーの残骸に望みを託して食料を探しにいった... ーそし
てそこに


It's just 望みを託して that I don't understand, Weblio says something like to entrust someone with a wish, but that doesn't seem to work since ボク is the one who's actually going out to look for food?


2) 気がついた時、ボクは血のついたリックをかかえてエレンのもとへ走っていたんだ...

This one follows up the story the guy is telling in the previous sentence: he saw a girl there and then says the above. ボクは血のついたリックをかかえて is the part that confuses me.
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Just a slight correction on my previous post. I edited and added a strikethrough on 相手は.

EDIT:
There is a correction on above. I added a strikethrough.
相手が人殺しを楽しんでするような This part is describing a lunatic.

相手が 人殺しをたのしんでするような 狂人ならともかく、12,3才の ...

It means ....

I would understand it if the/your opponent were a lunatic who enjoys killing others, but that was just a 12 or 13-year-old girl.

Change words around and make your own translation ;)


ckrit said:
1) ボクは近くにあったコロニーの残骸に望みを託して食料を探しにいった... ーそし
てそこに


It's just 望みを託して that I don't understand, Weblio says something like to entrust someone with a wish, but that doesn't seem to work since ボク is the one who's actually going out to look for food?
The guy went out looking for food hoping that he could find something in the wrecked colony near by. He was not sure if he could find anything but he was hopeful. Does it make sense? Btw, this is not a translation.

ckrit said:
2) 気がついた時、ボクは血のついたリックをかかえてエレンのもとへ走っていたんだ...

This one follows up the story the guy is telling in the previous sentence: he saw a girl there and then says the above. ボクは血のついたリックをかかえて is the part that confuses me.
僕は(血のついた)リックをかかえ + 僕はエレンのもとへ走っていた

I'm not sure which part you are struggling with. Unlike the sticky Help thread for non-JP speakers, please always add your own translation when you post questions on the main board. That way, it is easier to identify your problems.
 
Last edited:

ckrit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
The guy went out looking for food hoping that he could find something in the wrecked colony near by. He was not sure if he could find anything but he was hopeful. Does it make sense? Btw, this is not a translation.
Yes! I get it now, thanks.

僕は(血のついた)リックをかかえ + 僕はエレンのもとへ走っていた

I'm not sure which part you are struggling with. Unlike the sticky Help thread for non-JP speakers, please always add your own translation when you post questions on the main board. That way, it is easier to identify your problems.
Ok I'll keep that in mind, sorry.

It's the 血のついたリックをかかえ part I don't get. As I see it right now, I'd translate it as: "She gave a me blood-drenched lick, so I ran back to where Ellen was."
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
It's the 血のついたリックをかかえ part I don't get. As I see it right now, I'd translate it as: "She gave a me blood-drenched lick, so I ran back to where Ellen was."
リック (Rick) is a guy/boy, not lick.
 

ckrit

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
...seeing there's apparently another character, the rest of his story make a lot more sense suddenly. >_>';

Thanks a bundle mikkih, you really helped me out.
 
Last edited:
Top