Discussion About multiple Edited Mangas for a single series...

SkyKing

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
75
Reaction score
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I hate it when another group picks up a manga thats already being scanlated and has decent quality and releases. Theres no point at all to do it, unless they want to piss the other group off or just try and get more popularity or something like that.
I agree with that.

Musashi is a [insert some random bad word] for just coming out of no where. That's exactly what they did.

Anyways~~~.... I made a list of AWESOMENESS manga that has been "dropped" or haven't been scanlated yet or on hiatus. I'll frequently add more.

Link >>>>>> Click Me
 

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I agree with that.

Musashi is a [insert some random bad word] for just coming out of no where. That's exactly what they did.

Anyways~~~.... I made a list of AWESOMENESS manga that has been "dropped" or haven't been scanlated yet or on hiatus. I'll frequently add more.

Link >>>>>> Click Me
No, Musashi Quality would be assholes for picking up from where you left off. Instead, they did it from the first chapter, which is perfectly fine.

And no offense, but the vast majority of the series you listed look like generic ecchi shit. I don't know how Happy was able to sneak in there, it's the only manga that doesn't belong.
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
Most of that appears to be Shoujo/Yaoi/Ecchi-toloveru-like crap....

NO. How about some Mature, Psychological Seinen... a la Arigatou. Sure the art is not the best, and the plot is a bit rough around the edges but it still sends the message across. I wouldn't if doubt some families living what happened there. [making it a slice of life]

Arigato has been completely scanlated by The Hawks... I'm just giving an example.


Oldies but goodies.
 
Last edited:

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
(The only series I recognize is Kain, which didn't suck, but otherwise - what the last two posters said.)

Still, there are plenty of genuinely good and unique manga out there that don't rely on 'fanservice' to get readers that haven't been scanlated/have been dropped and never picked up again, so... well, we're all aware of that.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Oh come on... quit bashing Shoujo/BL/ToLoveRu kind of work... that's pretty much missing the point here. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're garbage ;)

(I happened to have worked/working on all three types of work.. lol)

As to the discussion itself... From my personal experience, I find it that unless you have a better team and product, it's rather pointless and only annoys other groups.

Take the Chinese Edited Manga of ToLoveRu for instance (where I'm a translator for my group). (Oh come on! Stop looking at me like that! :p)

The series was dropped around chapter 50 by the only group doing it, and it was subsquently picked up by my group around 63 (the few groups that tried to pick it up were pretty half-hearted, and droped it after 2~3 chapters).

Then around 80 or so chapter, 2 other groups poped out of nowhere, and started trying to beat us in speed (I used to do the translate on Saturday morning while the group coordinator cleans the pics... we then do the words together... but the new groups kept dishing them out on Friday night :()

At first, we wanted to just drop it, because we're both on the Bleach Edited Manga group as well, and it would lower our workload... but after reading the other groups release, I was a bit pissed off... I mean a lot of the sentences doesn't make ANY sense at all, and the typesetting and everything is badly done... They didn't even bother to clean the pages...

I'd be fine if they're doing a better job, but they're not. It's both an insult to our hardwork and a cheap ploy to siphon off fans/traffic in my opinion.

Anyway, the positive thing is that we upped our speed and have it out by Friday noon or afternoon... (though I had to get to the translation at 4 in the morning instead of my morning jog on Fridays... but we're helped by the fact that the Bleach team have enough people to finish that release on time without our help).

Good news: The two groups droped out partly because the school has started for some of their members, and that they can't beat us in either speed or quality... :p

The point: If you have something better to offer... bring it... otherwise just stay the hell out instead of pissing the realiable groups off ;)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Short cancelled series like kain and Volleyball Tsukai Godago would be ideal for groups to dabble in instead of just doing the same old crap eh.

yeah, i have nothing interesting to bring to this discussion anymore. it's all really been said
 

SkyKing

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
75
Reaction score
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
And no offense, but the vast majority of the series you listed look like generic ecchi shit. I don't know how Happy was able to sneak in there, it's the only manga that doesn't belong.
Lol, someone wanted me to add it on. And yes, I Love the ecchi. >_>
 

Mooncrow

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2006
Messages
136
Reaction score
87
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, you can basically do what I did; say "fuck you" to leechers and spend the time I used to spend Editing and learn japanese instead. Now I get to enjoy whatever series I want, and I don't have to deal with the bullshit whining from the scanslation community. Win/win for me.

Sabretoothe, if you have two translations that are different it means that one or both of the translators were wrong. And as eni said, unless you know the language yourself, you just end up less sure of which one is right.

Competition may be great in the corporate world, but all it does it hurt the scanslations community.
 

anpan

Manga Editor
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 30, 2007
Messages
42
Reaction score
92
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
As nice as it would be to have Manga Editors diversify, most won't do it. When there's the choice of doing speed scans of a popular series where gratification is instant or an unknown series that would require actual work to get a loyal following, you know what people will choose...
 

ssjohn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2006
Messages
599
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Dude seriously how in the world did i miss this topic??????? I have been ranting about this since well i joined Mangahelpers lol.

Here are my thoughts on the subject, i will try and keep it short.

The problem we as a 'Edited Manga' community is that no one (using this as a generality, i know some people here are nice enough not to be complete jerks and say "IS IT OUT YET?????" every five minutes), is patient, we have this "I want it NOW" style of thinking that doesn't work, we also do not 'work well with others'.

Everyone thinks that it is a smart idea to start yet another Edited Manga group for Naruto when instead of wasting there time and others on a Edited Manga that I am sorry to say will NEVER be read by anybody outside of 'maybe' your friends, because you are a 'unknown' and your quality probably sucks in comparison to the 'big boys'.

I remember when this 'multiple' groups thing really started, there was really two groups doing Naruto, INANE (Nice and HQ) and then Orange Tangerine, well they were in a war for awhile over Naruto but eventually OT died off, but when OT died off thats really when the 'speed scan' community emerged, there was msn groups that would take raws and slap on translations and a few other 'groups' poped up, Shanaro being the one that comes to mind, but there was always the group the 'masses' knew as Inane.

Now you ask people who Toriyama's world was or who was the main group that helped keep Bleach alive, and they stare at you and ask "Groups?" because we are so used to a bunch of random people doing random chapters week to week.

I understand 'some' translators doing the translations just because they want to or to help out, bt when i see request here for another translator for a series that is CAUGHT UP and being scanned on a weekly bases and at a good speed (I dont even care if its a week after the raw comes out for a monthly series, guess what that is good speed), i just want to find the poster and smack them over the head with a monitor (((I am not advising slapping people over the head with electronics, i know that is a bad thing to do, and i would not do it. *looks side to side*)).

My point being why are we wasting countless recources on countless groups making mediocre Edited Mangas when we as a community could come together and make something amazing, i would LOVE to see people come together and actually get more manga's scanlated because they are working together and helping each other out and getting work done probably 10x faster, but at last that will never happen, we are a bunch of greedy, self fuffiling idiots that will never get to see these amazing series scanlated because they are not "The Big Series".

Anyways there is my rant, at least for now lol, so glad i found this topic :)
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
>_> To this topic. I've been translating Gintama for like a million years, and I've had probably six to seven scantlators do it. I've got one steady guy now, but imagine how awesome it would have been to have one really great group release it regularly? I look at Mangafox and see some of the horrible quality scans that my translations are put on and get a little bit depressed inside.

In the end I agree that people want quantity over quality, and perhaps Genericness over originality. I forgot who else said it in this thread, but If you dislike a translation or quality of the raws go learn Japanese. I did back when no one was touching Gintama at all, and I'm a rather happy camper. We're honestly all doing something illegal here, so in the end fans should learn to take what they can get especially if said series is licensed. I'd love to see more Shounen Sunday stuff get scanned PERIOD instead of another Naruto or Bleach group doing another 'meh' scantlation, but that'll never happen. Big series are like name brand shoes though I guess. 'shrugs'
 

ssjohn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2006
Messages
599
Reaction score
11
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I know, that bothers me as well, i see translators like you, doing amazing series that 'no one' will touch, i attempted to pick up Gintama but when i did then other groups popped up doing it so i was like "oh well".

Gintama is AMAZING, and should be scanlated nice and HQ like EVERY OTHER series, but again why do that when we can do naruto..
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
If any one wants to see something depressing go to group pages and compare the download stats between speed groups and HQ groups. Bleach is a good place to start. A speed group got over 7000 dl's for Bleach 336. Maximum 7 got about 250 for the same chapter despite releasing only a few days later. Considering how much better M7 is, that's really depressing. It sucks that just by leveling and typesetting, often poorly, certain groups can pound out chapters and get fans. Leechers are almost penalizing groups who put time and hard work into their releases. If you take any pride in your work it's almost not worth releasing anything based on public translations. It doesn't make a difference if it's Bleach or Naruto, anything available here will get multiple Manga Editors.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I know, that bothers me as well, i see translators like you, doing amazing series that 'no one' will touch, i attempted to pick up Gintama but when i did then other groups popped up doing it so i was like "oh well".

Gintama is AMAZING, and should be scanlated nice and HQ like EVERY OTHER series, but again why do that when we can do naruto..
QFT. Though I would say don't let others doing Gintama deter you from doing it too. Like I said one guy is doing it regularly now, but if he is no longer able then we're back down to zero. It's funny really. When Gintama gets to SRS buisness, Scanners jump all over it. When it goes back to do what it normally does no one touches it at all. Look at the recent long arc. We got scantlations mere days after my translation was put up. Now that it's back to gags it like no one cares.

Unfortunately it's not really the scanners fault...since this is all being done for love of the series and for FREE. So people who complain about quality should send their favorite group a paycheck every week. >_> I'd love to get paid to have to figure out what the hell Sorachi is doing each week, but I love the series enough to do it for free (Along with Hyde.)
 

ChronicD

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Age
48
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just figured I'd add my own $0.02 to this discussion.
One of the main things that got me involved in the Edited Manga world was the serious lack of quality I was seeing in the manga I liked. In my opinion, the only thing that happens when you have multiple groups doing the same projects is extra confusion on the part of the end user (leecher). Say I DO want to read Bleach, or Naruto, or whatever, I have to dig through 15 different releases for the same chapter to find one that doesn't completely suck. That's just sad. When you consider the growing number of "groups" doing the same projects, I feel it's not helping anyone at all.

I also have to agree with Ggpx in almost everything he says. Sure he could be nicer about it, but when people don't bother to even consider his points, why bother being nice?

In the end, I work on manga that I enjoy, because I want to read it in my native language. If that means I have to take my own personal time, and sometimes money, to get that, so be it. I waited almost a year hoping some kind soul would pick Toshiue no Hito back up, and when it didn't happen, I took it upon myself to find a way to get it done. THAT is what Edited Manga should be about, not "I released it first!"
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
It's only frustrating if the scan of the group that released before you sucks.

Also, if you take 2+ weeks to release a weekly manga, then you really can't complain :\
 

Hayashida

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
i definately wouldn't be cleaning nurarihyon if i didn't want to read it.
lol and yeah, a paycheck would make me spend longer on the pages, but as it is im not really a stickler for quality
which is probably why i cant be bothered downloading a second release of a chapter, unless the first was REALLY terrible and i love the manga, otherwise i just dont care

and yeah, over 2 weeks to release a chapter is too long, though sometimes unforeseeable occurrences happen to groups, and projects are suspended indefinitely

just some more cents for the pile
 

akika

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I'm new to this site, but I just have to say I agree with what a lot of the other people here said, that it is really bizarre how many groups contact translators asking them to translate for series that are already being translated.

I really don't understand why people want to translate the popular Weekly Jump series over again.

Unless a translation or a Edited Manga is truly putrid, it just doesn't seem worth the effort to do it over again.
 

wade69

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2007
Messages
183
Reaction score
258
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Most of the time its new Manga Editors that want to become popular fast and usually go around asking for translators for series that already have them.
 
Top