Scanning - About providing RAW | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Scanning About providing RAW

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I don't know if this is the correct place to put it, since I don't know where can I ask a question about providing the RAW, NOT about leeching them. Well, I did provide a manga RAW once and my friend, who is going to use it for Edited Manga, said something about the spine thing. Is there a way to scan the manga without that problem, or anyone got any suggestions as to how should I do it?

Vato Loco!

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, the best way to be rid of the spine problem is to de-bind your magazines/tankobons. It's up to you whether you want to do that or not. There is a way to be rid of the gutter shadow, but as far as loss of picture, there's no way fix that other than de-binding the magazine/tankobon.

illiteracy

Manga Editor
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
As far as debinding goes, there are a few methods.

The more preferred method is to iron the binding and melt the glue holding the pages in. You just need to take a shitty(shitty because you'll get glue on it and probably not want to use for regular ironing anymore) iron and go up and down the binding at a low-mid temperature until you feel the pages start to give. There are several more in-depth tutorials for it, but I don't really have any links on hand - I'm sure someone else will post some.

Another method is to microwave the magazine until the glue in the binding softens. Generally not a great method as it can melt the colors and mess things up somewhat, plus I'm not sure what effect it'll have on your microwave.

And another method is to get a heavy duty paper-cutter/guillotine and just cut the pages out entirely.

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
. . . OK. Thank you. ^_^" ( - -" )

Then I will try to get those that are already online then. Thanks for answering anyway. ^_^

sakura_uchiha

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Another tip: You can use a microwave instead, if ever you can't find a (shitty) iron. Just warm it up at leat 30 minutes. Hope that helps too ^_^