Discussion - Against the Gods (ATG) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Against the Gods (ATG)

I Am Atomic

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Summary
A boy is being chased by various people because he alone holds some kind of treasure. He jumps off a cliff to not let any of them have it and wakes up in the body of a boy with the same name in another world. Fortunately, he has kept the treasure he ran off with.

I recommend it. It starts of slow but then it's gets better. I liked the first parts too.
Link: http://www.wuxiaworld.com/atg-index/

dark123

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Do you know definition of manhua? This thread is not about novels but comics!

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw Tales of Demons and Gods so I thought we can put novels in took but then I realised that there is a Manhua for TDG. Sorry my bad.

dark123

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Ask staff to create subforum for Chinese Novels

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I'm going to start reading this. Have never really read any Wuxia novels before but I feel like this might be a good place to start.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a dirty little secret.... For the last couple of months I've been marathon reading one story after another on Wuxiaworld. And ATG is one of them. The translations are surprisingly well done. You will come across the occasional typo or grammar issue, but nothing serious. The only real issue I have with the entire genre is the revenge plot lines. Don't ever give a paper cut to a Xianxia protagonist or your clan will get wiped out!
ATG has a good story-line, so long as you don't mind your MC going from extremely weak to extremely strong way too fast.
That's generally what happens in this genre though.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I may do a lot more Wuxia reading after this because I'm loving Against the Gods.

The main characters pervy nature is really growing on me. He is all in on the concept of getting himself a harem right from the get go. The whole part where he made a big deal of getting Xia Qingyue to take her shirt off so he could do the acupuncture thing just to later mention that he could have done it through her clothes just as easily was awesome.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
He actually reminds me a lot of Miroku from Inuyasha. I don't know if anybody here watched that anime but this pretty much tells you all need to know....

--- Double Post Merged, ---
So I burned through all 326 available chapters in 4 days(no idea how many pages that is...but it's alot). I have had little sleep, my eyes hurt, and my neck hurts but I regret nothing. This novel is awesome.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I burned through all 326 available chapters in 4 days(no idea how many pages that is...but it's alot). I have had little sleep, my eyes hurt, and my neck hurts but I regret nothing. This novel is awesome.
Yes, it is awesome! :super
Welcome to the darkside! A world of little sleep, missed deadlines and your friends and family missing your appearance.

Your next novel to be introduced to is one you already like the manga of: Coiling Dragon, otherwise know as Panlong. The Wuxiaworld translation of it is way better than the manga.... also... it is COMPLETE! At over 800 chapters, it took me over two weeks of reading, many of those days had little sleep as I found myself reading till 3-4am... just one more chapter!.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll have to do that. It's going to be hard for any protagonist to compete with the gloriously greedy and perverted Yun Che though.

The harem element of this novel is much stronger than I expected it to be and I enjoyed that part in particular. The whole thing where Xia's brother kept calling him brother-in-law and he kept trying to get him to stop because letting girls know he was married made it more difficult to flirt was pretty funny. His shameless single minded pursuit of the various heroines was just hilarious to watch.

Who was your favorite girl of the bunch?

I'm not generally one to go with the main heroine but Xia Qingyue really grew on me.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Who was your favorite girl of the bunch?
I don't really have a preference to tell the truth. I like them all... but I am eagerly anticipating the reunion with Little Aunt.

Xia Qingyue - His first wife. Married at 15. Still a virgin at 18. :XD
Xiao Lingxi - Little Aunt - I'll bet she'll look pretty hot when she comes out of that cave. Also 18.
Princess Cang Yue - Seems remarkably laid back about being part of a harem :D
Chu Yuechan - Already a devoted mother. :D
Su Ling - I think she may count as his 2nd wife... the girl from that Azure Cloud continent.
Jasmine - Has she gotten any older? She was 13 when they met, so now 16? Does she not age in the Sky Poison Pearl? Or is she 13 in God-years (which could be 13,000 of our years)? Technically, I think she died, so likely remains 13 till she gets a new body.

Possible future Harem member:
the Primordial Azure Dragon's daughter is sealed inside the Heaven Punishing Ancestral Sword. I can just see her being very grateful in human form after being freed. Yun Che will likely be at god level then.

I wonder if I missed any.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't really have a preference to tell the truth. I like them all... but I am eagerly anticipating the reunion with Little Aunt.

Xiao Lingxi - Little Aunt - I'll bet she'll look pretty hot when she comes out of that cave. Also 18.
Su Ling - I think she may count as his 2nd wife... the girl from that Azure Cloud continent.
Jasmine - Has she gotten any older? She was 13 when they met, so now 16? Does she not age in the Sky Poison Pearl? Or is she 13 in God-years (which could be 13,000 of our years)? Technically, I think she died, so likely remains 13 till she gets a new body.

the Primordial Azure Dragon's daughter is sealed inside the Heaven Punishing Ancestral Sword. I can just see her being very grateful in human form after being freed. Yun Che will likely be at god level then.

I'm sure he'll find more somewhere. That's his raison d'être. :XD

It struck me today how similar a few of his love interests are to ones in the Monogatari series. Not copies or anything but they seem to me like that fit in those great roles.

Xia Qingyue = Senjougahara
- Beautiful girl with a cool bordering on cold personality yet oddly loving.

Jasmine = Shinobu

- Semi-corporeal ancient loli who exists inside the main character with tons of wisdom and a haughty attitude.

Cang Yue = Hanakawa
- Wise yet kind girl plagued by family troubles.

Not really sure if or where the rest would fit in but I really hope we'll get a Kanbaru next.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm sorry! I seem to have set some sort of flag when I said that. Looks like the reunion will be much more difficult than anticipated.
Possible tragedy incoming.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Tragedy for the burning whatever clan. They are doomed. I'm almost afraid to read what's going to happen to the young master of that clan.

I like that the one elder guy actually wised up and was like... "You kidnapped people close to this guy! Are you out of your mind!!!"

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The "Burning Heaven Clan" may soon be renamed the "Burn in Hell Clan" :XD

About the only thing that might save the clan itself is if they immediately treat their hostages like honored guests and have the kidnappers all tied up waiting for Yun Che when he arrives. Also a good idea to have the clan scatter to the winds to prevent a total wipeout.
It looks like they didn't take my advice. :epicfacepalm

From the previews of the next few chapters, chapter 330 - 339 will be the slaughter.
I like how they 'nice boat' us in the previews with a pole-dancing rabbit. :XD

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
It was already too late for them. All they can really hope for is that Yun Che keeps their injuries above the waist.

There is no stopping what's to come now...

A few new chapters are out. Burning Heaven HP: 51/60
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Another chapter (this translator is fast!)...

Group of 30 Elders attack.
HIT for -1 HP
Yun Che HP: 9999998/9999999

They are learning what a being a blue slime in dragon quest must feel like.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I wonder if the elders at the back are more vulnerable than the ones at the front. If the ones at the back are transferring their power to the ones at the front they may be vulnerable.

On the other hand, I think it's likely he will use an AoE attack to attack many of them simultaneously. One of his Phoenix flame attacks is an AoE and has been used previously for good effect against Burning Heaven disciples. I find it amusing that Burning Heaven people are vulnerable to flame attacks. :XD

The third option is to use that domain he got from the Divine Dragon God. I can't remember the details for it but it's sure to be effective.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
New chapter is out again. They are giving him a fairly hard time with this formation of theirs but it's still hopeless for them.

Burning Heaven Clan HP: 45/60

And he just unleashed the Dragon Soul Domain. I'm expecting this to be a critical hit.
New chapter is up.

Burning Heaven Clan HP: 27/60
Status Effect: Panic

If Little Aunt dies, something real bad is going to happen the survivors. You'd think things couldn't get much worse than they are right now for them. But I'm confident Yun Che will find a way.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Little Aunt! :gwah

Meanwhile, Yun Che is stepping on another type of ant.

azanimefan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Little Fairy - Chu Yuechan is my favorite girl in the harem, followed closely by Cang Yue ~ who is 100% cool and not bothered in the least with the whole harem concept, on top of being a top notch Onee-san type character and she's almost as good as Little Fairy.

The other girls are pretty much interchangeable to me, with the exception of Xiao Lingxi, who is my least favorite of them all. Heck we hardly know anything about Su Ling (well the su ling he knew pre-death) and all we really know about her is she basically let him sexually abuse her for years while he was edge-lording it up in his first (failed) go around; and she still is a better character then Xiao Lungxi who apparently has no character apart from her infatuation with the MC.

I don't consider Jasmine part of the harem. She's a blood thirsty intergalactic space-god thing that has lived for over a 10,000 years (the storm dragon soul part knew her when she was younger). Her character is more of a little sister type then anything else.

~ as a more general comment about the genre. I think this and I shall seal the heavens are probably the two best chinese fantasy series going right now. Coiling dragon bored me to tears and most of the rest aren't in the class of ISSTH and ATG. I suppose Tales of Demons and Gods is alright as well, though i'm struggling with it like i did with Coiling Dragon.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
No love of Xia Qingyue? I'm a big fan of hers.

Another chapter came out too. Looks like there's going to be a BBQ.:XD