Discussion Age difference in relationships?

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Yo~

Well, in some of shoujo series I read (haven't found one in josei, LOL~), sometimes we see a relationship between people with huge age difference. One series with best example is Cardcaptor Sakura, in my opinion. There are two pairings there, each involve a romance of elementary school students (or at least how they appear to be, since Eriol is definitely older than that) with their teachers. Even though based on the plot the physical appearance can deceive readers, there are still cases when it is indeed a romance between someone old with a much younger one.

What do you think of this? Do you feel uncomfortable, thinking "pedophile" or something? :p
 

HatsumiShinogu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 27, 2012
Messages
12
Reaction score
2
Gender
Female
Country
Abu Dhabi
I usually don't mind age differences between characters but not to be huge. It also depends on many other things such as characters, circumstances, and stuff. For example, I didn't like that relationship you referred to from Cardcaptor Sakura. The age gap was huge and it definitely is disturbing. I mean, for a guy in his early 20s to have a relationship with an elementary school girl is just a bit too much, IMO.
I also have another example from another series, which isn't really shoujo but I wanted to mention it. It is from the Dance in the Vampire Bund series. There is a relationship between a high school girl and a thirteen-year-old boy who looks even younger than his age. This relationship really disturbed me and I hated it. The boy was like a little brother to her at first but she started to lust after him, which was gross. They became lovers and I cringe every time I see them together as the boy looks like an elementary school kid. This is one example of shotacon.

I don't mind if a 16-year-old girl is in love with her 24-year-old teacher as I don't see it that unacceptable compared to many other examples with huge age gaps. I, for one, like older guys in shoujo manga, so I prefer some difference in age between the two but not for the girl to be way too young.
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Ah, so you prefer cases in which the boy is older than the girl, but too extreme like in terms of a teacher and elementary school student in Cardcaptor Sakura, eh?

I'm more or less like that too. It is related to the setting of the plot, but talking about romance with elementary school students just doesn't make sense to me as they are still very young. In other situation I'm fine with it... I think in Magic Knight Rayearth, the main couple is also lots of years apart. The girl is only a high school student while the boy is... I don't know his age. XD

I think I haven't read the series in which older girls go out with younger boys... :XD
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Truth to be told even in real life, normal is when the older one is the guy. Personally I don't look for older women (well when I say older is not 1 or 2 years).

Still Something like a 18 years old going out with one which has less than 12/13 is just wrong. Even in manga.
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Truth to be told even in real life, normal is when the older one is the guy. Personally I don't look for older women (well when I say older is not 1 or 2 years).

Still Something like a 18 years old going out with one which has less than 12/13 is just wrong. Even in manga.
That's true~ :sweat

Fortunately (I think), this kind of couple is usually not the main pairing, so probably we don't bother with it too much. But if it is the main couple, would you still root/cheer for them in case they can't be together for whatever reason there is?

:XD
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
That's true~ :sweat
Fortunately (I think), this kind of couple is usually not the main pairing, so probably we don't bother with it too much. But if it is the main couple, would you still root/cheer for them in case they can't be together for whatever reason there is?

:XD
There are different cases. Usagi Drop case is just strange. How can a relation like that end up in marriage, it doesn't make sense. By the way I find the crushes on teachers by young girls/boys normal, as it is someone you are looking up to and depending on the age difference it can be acceptable if the teacher actually feels something for the student (like a young teacher together with a 11/12 grade-I don't know how it works in terms of studies in other country's), this is a kind of couple I can root for :P it is a normal occurrence in manga, but still fun to read.

Still I prefer closer in age couples, don't get me wrong is just how I see things. 6-7 years of difference if you are already in yours 30's is not much by the way...

I don't enjoy melodramas that much... something like we can't be together because of my parents and such, it just seem forced so I will restrain my comments in that regard (in terms of rooting for).
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Nice general topic to think about as well phio. :XD Mangas reek of pedobear stuff in general. Though shoujo takes a more light term to it. Some other alternative series take it way to far, not that the relationships are such, but the portrayal of young characters goes really far, though I do not think the generally "liberal" manga fans care. :XD
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
There are different cases. Usagi Drop case is just strange. How can a relation like that end up in marriage, it doesn't make sense. By the way I find the crushes on teachers by young girls/boys normal, as it is someone you are looking up to and depending on the age difference it can be acceptable if the teacher actually feels something for the student (like a young teacher together with a 11/12 grade-I don't know how it works in terms of studies in other country's), this is a kind of couple I can root for :P it is a normal occurrence in manga, but still fun to read.
Marriage?! :gwah (I don't follow the series so I don't know, haha~)
Well, I can take on crushes between teachers and high school students (junior or senior). But younger than that, i.e. elementary kids like in Cardcaptor Sakura, crossed the line for me. Waaaay too strange. Although lately in modern world elementary kids can already have boyfriends or girlfriends, but still with those much older... :|

And strangely usually there are no objection from the parents of the younger side. :teehee

Nice general topic to think about as well phio. :XD Mangas reek of pedobear stuff in general. Though shoujo takes a more light term to it. Some other alternative series take it way to far, not that the relationships are such, but the portrayal of young characters goes really far, though I do not think the generally "liberal" manga fans care. :XD
Thank you, Josef. :p

LOL~ Like I said if it concerns main pairings or a couple very funny in eyes of fans, they -- we, me included -- tend to ignore this difference. Although thinking of it from another point of view it sure is strange. XD

I'm not sure why some mangaka portrayed this in the series. Is it something you can find at Japan? :sweat
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Marriage?! :gwah (I don't follow the series so I don't know, haha~)
In that series (is quite good actually)
they have like 25 years of age difference, and a father/daughter relation (more or less). They get to know each other when she was a six years old, she grows have boyfriends same with the guy... in the end they promise each other after finding out they are not blood related at all.
 
Top