Discussion All purpose Art Contest Discussion

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
4,777
Reaction score
2,840
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

There are no size limitations on any of the contests. We do however expect that all submissions are of a reasonable size and not a 100 x 100 pixel image. At the same time, if you made a fanart and did it in 2400 x 3200 px, you might want to resize it to something like 600 x 800 before uploading it.
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

I'm curious to know...are the MH Banner and Twitter contest winners going to be announced very soon!? :?bunny
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

Yes. Expect to see an announcement of the winners for those contests some time within the next two days. :hbunny

Just wondering, what did you all think of the new creative writing contest that will be featured in the Spring Art Contests? Do you like the idea? Thoughts or questions about it? :?bunny
 

Gintara

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
417
Reaction score
386
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

I actually like the idea of the creative writing contest, but I was wondering, is there like a certain topic that goes with it or is it just anything?

I just looked at the Spring contest results and I would like to congratulate the winners! :D
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

I actually like the idea of the creative writing contest, but I was wondering, is there like a certain topic that goes with it or is it just anything?
No. It can be about anything. The form of writing is also somewhat variable; you can submit a short story, a poem, etc.

If the creative writing contest turns out to be very popular, we might divide it into more specific categories, but for now, we are just testing the waters with it. :hbunny
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

uhm ...don't mean to barge in ...but I just came back from a very long time away from the site [even longer than this account's registered date] and while looking arount the art section I notice the art contests are a lot less populated now compared to a few years ago when I used to be active , I hope it's just my imagination though... I used to love this part of the site so much <3
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

Just wondering, what did you all think of the new creative writing contest that will be featured in the Spring Art Contests? Do you like the idea? Thoughts or questions about it? :?bunny
Personally I feel happy with this new category, especially for me who can not do graphics at all. And since I pretty much like writing (poems especially), I found this interesting. I think it's an interesting addition to the contest, although I think somehow there are not many entries yet, even though the deadline is coming soon. Maybe because people tend to think that "art contest" is something related to graphic? I thought so at first so I didn't bother to check this Spring 2011 contest. It was a random click which brought me here, and then I figured out that I can submit a writing as well. XD

Anyway, I hope many people participate in this creative writing contest! :D
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

About the Spring 2011 Colored Art Contest entries - The first beautiful submission by sakura-aneki has a url link error. If you click on the thumbnail it takes you to that MH 404 Error Page~ =/
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

Personally I feel happy with this new category, especially for me who can not do graphics at all. And since I pretty much like writing (poems especially), I found this interesting. I think it's an interesting addition to the contest, although I think somehow there are not many entries yet, even though the deadline is coming soon. Maybe because people tend to think that "art contest" is something related to graphic? I thought so at first so I didn't bother to check this Spring 2011 contest. It was a random click which brought me here, and then I figured out that I can submit a writing as well. XD

Anyway, I hope many people participate in this creative writing contest! :D
Thank you for entering the contest! That was exactly the intention behind the contest. I know that many people have artistic talent, but for some people, their artistic talents are more literary than visual. Hopefully more people decide to enter the contest!

If writing contests prove popular enough, we could try more specific writing contests, e.g., a haiku contest, general poetry contest, fanfic/short story contest, etc. If you have any thoughts on these contests or any other ideas, please don't hesitate to share! :hbunny

About the Spring 2011 Colored Art Contest entries - The first beautiful submission by sakura-aneki has a url link error. If you click on the thumbnail it takes you to that MH 404 Error Page~ =/
That is strange. The image is showing, and yet I can't seem to find it in the gallery anywhere. Hopefully one of the techs will be able to sort this issue out. Thank you for pointing it out! :nod
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

Thank you for entering the contest! That was exactly the intention behind the contest. I know that many people have artistic talent, but for some people, their artistic talents are more literary than visual. Hopefully more people decide to enter the contest!

If writing contests prove popular enough, we could try more specific writing contests, e.g., a haiku contest, general poetry contest, fanfic/short story contest, etc. If you have any thoughts on these contests or any other ideas, please don't hesitate to share! :hbunny
Yes, I agree. Maybe for the next contest, you guys can make the "advertisement" more? Since from the banner, it only contains "Spring 2011 Art Contest", and as a newbie, I wouldn't expect to see a writing contest here if I hadn't arrived here myself.

Um, sorry before, but what is haiku? XD I think from those you mentioned, fanfic contest might be the most interesting one. Although I've never written a fanfic myself, I know that lots of people like to make a fanfic (from what posted around the art section, most of them are fanfics), so maybe that one can attract more attention. :)
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

@Phio_chan

A Haiku is a short Japanese poem that have 17 on in Japanese and no more than 17 syllables when written in English. This allows the poem to have 3 phrases with 5, 7, and 5 on or syllables. They traditionally also have one word that relates to one of the four seasons called a kiri and another word that usually separates two ideas around the middle of the poem called a kireji, this has no real equivalent in English so often punctuation is used instead. I remeber writing them in middle school, they are fun to write even for someone like me who is horrible at poetry.^^
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

Wow, that sounds kinda hard. Only 17 syllables? :O But that sure is interesting. I think it could be a pretty hard one for members to enter, but also an interesting challenge for writers to make something different once in a while. Although I'm not familiar with Japanese, I think we can try it out someday and see how it goes. :D
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

About the Spring 2011 Colored Art Contest entries - The first beautiful submission by sakura-aneki has a url link error. If you click on the thumbnail it takes you to that MH 404 Error Page~ =/
ahhh yeah it seems I deleted it [though I didn't really] but I'll reupload it in a giffy! thanks for pointing that out and thank you so much for the compliment! I appreciate it!

[edit]
so I edited the comment[in the art contest topic] and added the reuploaded picture , but it still doesn't appear [you have to click on the missing thumb thing and when it opens the image in a new tab it will appear]
 
Last edited:

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

Talking about creative writing contests, I suddenly have an idea. If by any chance you guys want to hold another creative writing contest, why not do a song-based writing contest? So members will have to create a writing; it can be a short story or a poem or anything involves writing which is based on a certain song. They will have to add the link or attach the song to their submission for people to vote later on whether their writing matched the song. :D
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

Talking about creative writing contests, I suddenly have an idea. If by any chance you guys want to hold another creative writing contest, why not do a song-based writing contest? So members will have to create a writing; it can be a short story or a poem or anything involves writing which is based on a certain song. They will have to add the link or attach the song to their submission for people to vote later on whether their writing matched the song. :D
Thank you for the suggestion, phio. :hbunny

So, just so I understand correctly your idea, you are suggesting that there be a creative writing contest where users choose already existing songs, write a companion piece to the song, and then have a vote on whose song best accompanied the song, correct? (When I first started reading, I thought you were going for a song-writing contest.) Are there any other stipulations, e.g., whether the writing can contain lyrics from the song or the type of song?

While I cannot guarantee that we will hold this contest, we will definitely discuss it and look into its feasibility. If any of you guys would like to share your thoughts on phio's idea (or share your own ideas), please feel free. :)
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

You are welcome. And yes, that is what I was suggesting. Sorry if it was somehow confusing. I think it is okay to insert a part of the song's lyrics on the writing, as long as the writing still gives more part to the original writing, not the lyrics. As for the type of song, well, I have an idea like this: as the start you might want to put the music category as general. I'm thinking that if you want to give a different atmosphere to the contest, maybe you can give a theme to the contest. For example, assigning a specific genre, specific musician, etc. Still, it also has a weak point. Those who dislike the genre or musician for the theme might walk away for the contest. =___= I'll try to think of more ideas.

And yes, I completely understand. I'm just randomly brainstorming here, and I decided I might as well just share it. :3
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

congratulations to all the winners!

---------- Post added July 05, 2011 at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was July 02, 2011 at 01:53 AM ----------

btw when's the new contests gonna start? XD
*has new artwork *
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

btw when's the new contests gonna start? XD
*has new artwork *
Expect an official announcement about the new contests on Monday! ;)
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: All purpose Seasonal Art Contest Discussion

oh yay! XDDD thanks tsuki!
 
Top