All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread 2007

eats

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

hmmmm, how much time do I still have maybe I can still join the advanced contest.
 

GrayFoxx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,780
Reaction score
37
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

I'm closing it today at 9PM EST New York time, which means 7 hours 8 minutes from now on :amuse
 

eats

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

perfect, thats long enough, enough to color 4 characters with bg.

I found what I like.
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

today?!?!? lol! I still have to color the skin and hair !!! and some other parts >.<

[tmod=GF]hope you'll make it in time ^^[/tmod]


and I didn't even put the colors for the background >.< and now eats will post her super awesome colorings too lol
 
Last edited:

vphamv

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 7, 2007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

um, I'm pretty new and all so this could possibly be a really noob question but just wondering, is there a reason why the one I submitted for the BW contest is not on the poles? o_O

Sorry in advance if it's a bad question but I honestly don't know if I did something wrong. :/
 

GrayFoxx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,780
Reaction score
37
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Umm... sorry dude, but I checked right now, and you don't have a post in the Fan Art (November) Contest Thread :oh
 

Uozumi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
331
Reaction score
2
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Why are the fanart contests a month off the actual month? I remember that the majority of entries used to come in on the month the contest was for. It just seems kinda silly to be voting for "November" entries on November fifth, you know? Most the entries are October art in actuality.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Just a general announcement here - GrayFoxx is gone due to exams, so I'll be handling Art Contests for a bit.

And Uozumi, the fanart contests became a month off the actual month because we wanted to have the winning entries for the Front Page of the actual month I believe.

Although that's become a little less frequent because we stopped posting weekly Front Pages. So, maybe we will go back to doing them in the actual months starting with December, if that's what you all want.

EDIT: We will do that. For December contest, we'll post in December, and then in January we will announce. ^^
 
Last edited:

Uozumi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
331
Reaction score
2
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Just a general announcement here - GrayFoxx is gone due to exams, so I'll be handling Art Contests for a bit.

And Uozumi, the fanart contests became a month off the actual month because we wanted to have the winning entries for the Front Page of the actual month I believe.

Although that's become a little less frequent because we stopped posting weekly Front Pages. So, maybe we will go back to doing them in the actual months starting with December, if that's what you all want.

EDIT: We will do that. For December contest, we'll post in December, and then in January we will announce. ^^
That's okay XD I was just really really confused. I think I must not have noticed when the winners were announced ont he front page frequently.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Oh, a quick sidenote - I'm going to bring back the Art Contest Winners thread sometimes this week - I'm going to update it to the current week.


* * *

Nodame Contabile - Volume 17 - Cover Insert



I guess it's the cover insert or maybe inner cover? I don't know what to call those drawings between the cover and the first chapter over the volume.
Cover Insert work just fine ^^

You certainly seem to like coloring a wide variety of different mangas. I think that's easily one of your best colorings so far. :)
 
Last edited:

Uozumi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
331
Reaction score
2
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Oh, a quick sidenote - I'm going to bring back the Art Contest Winners thread sometimes this week - I'm going to update it to the current week.
<hr noshade size="1">
* * *



Cover Insert work just fine ^^

You certainly seem to like coloring a wide variety of different mangas. I think that's easily one of your best colorings so far. :)
If I did the same manga allt he time, I'd get bored and stagnat I think. Also thanks : D I tried some different brushes this time. My roommate showed me how to access them on my CS2. I never thought to press the little sideways carrot before.
 

QianQian

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2006
Messages
138
Reaction score
44
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Hitotsumami and riice's entries are both very well done~XD

Hitotsumami's Lucy is sooooooo cute V,,v!!

...but riice's whats-his-name is more polished, so there's my vote
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Fairy Tail - Chapter 32 - Colored by hizoka17



thanks Mangashare for the clean
That's not Fairy Tail, that's Gantz... so I'll change that. >.>

Awesome though, haven't seen a Gantz coloring in some time.

Naruto - Chap 377 - Page 12 - by Boutboul



I hope you like it :)
Cool stuff. :)



* * *

Quick announcement:

Updated the Winners' Thread up to Week 41, I'll update it again with all the new stuff as soon as we put them up on the next front page.

In the meanwhile you guys can check out all the latest additions (there were a lot!)



* * *

Also, I'll probably be making a new Winner's Thread when Year 2 comes around. (The 2007 Winner's Thread will still be stickied for a while though, don't worry.)

We're already almost done with the first year of Art Contests, which is just incredible to think about. Only four more weeks to go. You guys have been fantastic. :)


* * *

Finally updated the Winner's Thread to the present week. Enjoy.
 
Last edited:

Uozumi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
331
Reaction score
2
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

GK, on the Winners thread you have Amateur 43 winner's title wrong. It's not Paper Girl, but

"Bleach" - "Chapter 293" - "Page 9 Panel 1" - by riice
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Thanks Uozumi, going to fix it :D


Fixed! If anybody sees anything else wrong, just let me know.


Also, what would you guys think about possibly doing a Comic Contest? That is, do an one-page or two-page comic, sort of a fanart contest but more oriented towards sequential storytelling practice.


Just as a sidenote...

[user]kyubisharingan[/user] has been determined to be now an Advanced Colorist. His last Amateur entry (which he won) was just obviously Advanced caliber, a true leap from his first Amateur win. Congrats to kyubisharingan.

We're going to try to keep a little more eye out for what might appear to be obviously Advanced colorings being submitted to Amateur contests from now on... we think that there's been some that were too good for the Amateur contests lately, frankly. ^^;
 
Last edited:

TWNJ

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 14, 2007
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

I don't think it should be a monthly thing becuase even fewer people will enter. we like our are to be critiqued or atleast to see some sort of result from uploading almost instantly. a week is long enough in my oppinion, if we were to extend it to a month people would forget even more easily becuase its not as regular.

Also, the way the advanced is run is not efficient enough. You have to win he beginners 3 times just to get in??? of course your gonna have so few art submitted. and you can also be invited but i dont see any names that have been in the amateur contest that are now in the advanced instead. I dont think anyone is being invited.

One more thing; it can be quite annoying to find that you've not won, again, bu whats even more annoying is that you dont know by how much! You guys have put in the percentage vote thing at the side but alwasy keep it hidden. Why? atleast give the results out at the end. It can be quite frustrating when u have no feedback of any kind.

If MH sort thoes things out i believe more people will enter.

By the way, I dont feel that this websitr has any right to threaten people about anything, least of all art contests. If people dont put submit something - their loss.

p.s. sorry about any spelling mistakes.


oh yes please, that would be so cool!

Wouls it be completely fan art in the sense that its your own characters and story or is it fanart in the fanfiction sort of sense?
 
Last edited:

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Actually you can enter a drawing in the Advanced contest anytime, TWNJ. It's just that when you win Amateur three times, you cannot participate in Amateur anymore. That would be unfair to the others who are still working on their coloring skills. Looks like I need to make that a bit more clear in the rules.

Actually, we've always given the results at the end of each Art Contest discussion thread. See the last post of Amateur #47 thread to see what I mean. But last week I did decide to make the poll results visible for a week too before replacing it with another poll.

@ Manga Strip Contests

Either/Or. Maybe we could do more than one category though - original and fanart. We're actually not sure on the details just yet. Just wanted to know what you guys think about it.
 
Top