All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2008-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ Shin - I love that sig Shin! The Reflection looks amazing!!!:worship A reflection on a sword was one of the first things I thought of because my sister used to have an awesome Ichigo wallpaper with a reflection on his sword. I always loved that effect so I'm glad to see you use it so nicely, especially since I wouldn't have been able to make it look half that good.

@Roflkopt3r - It's great to have you in the competition!! And your submission is very nice!:D I think it captures both a literal visual reflection and a more subtle inward reflection as well, which is hard to accomplish. Also, I like its simplicity, I have a hard time keeping things looking clean and simple. The only thing I'd suggest is some kind border or the use of shaded/blured areas on the edges to highlight your focal point/s, but that's just my personal opinion, and I'm only a noob at sigs.

For the Reflection theme I'm going to try very hard to come up with something that is not from Naruto, possibly something from Blade of the Immortal again. Although I did initially come up with a Naruto idea.... I'm way too obesessed. :sweat
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Shin That sig is awesome. Looks really great :)

@Roflkopter Your submission looks quite nice and simple. IMO though, maybe a little ripple effect to the reflection itself would have looked better,but that's just my opinion and i suck at making sigs anyway :(

This is a work in progress... I think... just an idea that came to mind.

 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I have tons of good renders and stocks that can be used for this theme~

I could tell by the manner and tone you use in your posts. :P I was :mad on countless occassions when I lost but I got over it. Have you? You still upset?

Have a free hug. :hug
I was a little irritated that it seemed like a certain Anime was the factor that pulled in so many voters, hence the reason I took a break there and skipped the School theme~~
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I decided to submit that signature. I wasn't sure wether i could make another one cuz I have alot of university problems to take care of. I'm glad you liked it ppl :D

And again oO I forgot to close the spoiler tag correctly :) how professional!
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

My OP sig was epic. I got a ton of PM's asking where I got it from, when in actual fact it was yours truly who created it from scratch. :D It's not like I asked people to vote for me. I gave them the option like I always do. I guess OP going on a one month break in the week of the deadline influenced the votees but how can I control who they all vote for?

I've made my mind up now; I'mma promote each and everyone of the fire sig submissions during this one week....for a lil experiment. :grin

You sig was truly magnificent as well but you can't just give up for a week or two because of a loss.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I voted for Buggy that week. It was a magnificent signature. I was a contestant and I voted for him... I couldn't vote for any other sig that day cuz that one was perfect.

@~Coffee~: dude I thought you were joking -_- but nvm me, your signature was great but it didn't have a magnet attached to it :P Choosing the anime/render is one big factor.

Sometimes, the voters vote for the anime/artist/color and not for the signature itself. The highest quality signature, and the one technically superior is not garenteed to win. But that wasn't the case... Buggy nailed every aspect that day.
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Ya Tsukisama pointed out to me that OP went on a big break or something as well...
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Thanks Shin! :crying :hug *Man love*

I kept my word didn't I? :eyeroll


Edit:* I meant Manly love dammit. :darn
 
Last edited:

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

and dont get me wrong, I liked the signature (except the squiggly lines)~
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

and dont get me wrong, I liked the signature (except the squiggly lines)~
Yeah I know..that was the only "mistake". Minor detail in the end. :(
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

The only thing I'd suggest is some kind border or the use of shaded/blured areas on the edges to highlight your focal point/s, but that's just my personal opinion, and I'm only a noob at sigs.
Damn, actually that idea could've been brilliant. Making it a bit closer to death, eyes not as open but rather almost closed, with a fade to black at the edges. However, that shot I chose was a moment of surprise with eyes wide open as it suits the mimics. Maybe a very small but not so slight fade to black at the corners, a little bit shaped like eye outlines would still be reasonable.

@Roflkopter Your submission looks quite nice and simple. IMO though, maybe a little ripple effect to the reflection itself would have looked better,but that's just my opinion and i suck at making sigs anyway :(
I'm not so sure about that, originally riples interfere with reflection totally, don't they? Also I wanted to create a ripple effect at the point her right knee touches the water but it really looked way too overdone as it would've required a larger size than those at the fingertips, covering too much space.

I decided to submit that signature. I wasn't sure wether i could make another one cuz I have alot of university problems to take care of. I'm glad you liked it ppl :D

And again oO I forgot to close the spoiler tag correctly :) how professional!
Looks great for certain :o.
And I was the first one to fail as my thumbnail linked to a void page :amuse Admins were friendly and corrected that quietly.

Thanks alot for all comments and feedback :)
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ Kakashi - That Itachi and Sasuke sig looks like it has a lot of promise. I love their story so much! The picture on the left and the leaves you've added is just awesome! Keep up the good work! Your idea is a great one! I must admit most of my ideas for this theme were about Sasuke and Itachi, but I told myself that I need to avoid another Naruto sig, I can't do three in a row. The only thing I that I would try to improve in the sig is the transition from the left to right side, it looks too abrupt IMO. Mabye try some tranparency???
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ Kakashi - That Itachi and Sasuke sig looks like it has a lot of promise. I love their story so much! The picture on the left and the leaves you've added is just awesome! Keep up the good work! Your idea is a great one! I must admit most of my ideas for this theme were about Sasuke and Itachi, but I told myself that I need to avoid another Naruto sig, I can't do three in a row. The only thing I that I would try to improve in the sig is the transition from the left to right side, it looks too abrupt IMO. Mabye try some tranparency???
He's right.
You should try and make the transition less visible and once again, the renders look weird because u resized them without holding the shift button.
When you resize a render or a picture hold shift and use the corners of the pic not the sides. Keep working on that sig. the idea is good.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@DeBaron8 Yeah thats what's giving me a hard time... getting the right transition. Been trying different ways for some time. Thanks for the advice man!

@Shin Yeah, I keep forgetting that :( will try to fix up the sig and finish it :D

Thanks all the the advice :XD
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

He's right.
You should try and make the transition less visible and once again, the renders look weird because u resized them without holding the shift button.
When you resize a render or a picture hold shift and use the corners of the pic not the sides. Keep working on that sig. the idea is good.
I didn't even notice that as a mistake, I think it might've been on purpose. I mean that part is only a thought and a memory and not physical, and it doesn't look overly weird in this format. In my mind the little contortion makes it more obvious that this isn't real.
I definitly like the idea behind this as I always thought that Itachi on that panel thinks about Sasuke, and the left side part looks really awesome.
Creating a good transition between the sides seems tough to me but there truly should be one.
I think there's some slight issues at the outside borders though. Especially at the right side behind Itachi there somehow is a bit inconsistent white that doesn't seem to belong to the rain.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Roflkopt3r
Yeah That's when i did the round corners, didn't bother to fix it since it was just to show the idea i was working on :D

Thanks a lot for all the feed back. ;)


Uploaded my submission. Tried my best to make it look better,and that was the final result. Hope it's good enough :worrybunny
 
Last edited:

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Shin, Quick question~ What anime are those renders from?
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

strange.... is everyone seeing that black background in my submission? not seeing it on the details page
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

strange.... is everyone seeing that black background in my submission? not seeing it on the details page
Yeah I can see it as well, but it wasn't there earlier. I also can't see Roflkopt3r's entry at all anymore. Mabye there is maintenance being done, or there is some kind of glitch? I'm sure the mods will fix it.:)

I'm working on my reflection sig, version 4.0 :( 1st version failed, the 2nd didn't save when laptop crashed, 3rd tried an animation and didn't like it, fourth has some potential....I hope

I'm afraid I went with a Naruto themed sig again. :darn I wanted to do something else but I really wanted the sig to depict a literal/visual reflection and someone reflecting upon life, the second is just too hard to convey if people aren't familar with the story.

Might post a preview tonight to see what you guys think.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top