All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2008-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@ zeltrax225: For someone new to the signature world, I must say that you di an pretty decent job there. Your effects are well done and they fit the image you chose for your work. Next time, try using a render and make your own background. I'm sure that you will do fine.
P.S: always chose a focus point for your signature (the spot that you want other prople to look at when they see your signature) That's how you choose the lighting rules and stuff :)
Thank you for posting and I hope that we'll be able to see more of your works in the future, here and in the contest too ^^


holy crap I always post horrible mistakes... I miss you, EDIT button-sama.
 
Last edited:

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@ zeltrax225 - Welcome to the sig contest thread! :D Your sig is quite nice. Beautiful lighting effects. Keep up the good work and listen to Shinsatsu's advice. He offers very good tips, they helped me a lot to become better at making sigs. :)

Here's another Zoro coloring I did - HERE. If anyone is interested in adding some nice effects to it let me know. I feel it needs some gfx, but nothing I did looked right. We could enter it as a collab in the winter contest or something.

I'm also going to submit my Hinata Bunny sig, I got permission to use the pic so I'm very happy. :D

@Shin - I know - the lack on an edit button is quite frustrating. How come this thread lacks this option? It should be changed in IMO, unless there is a specific reason for it not being there.

@ Coffee - I like the sig with the blond girl (though parts still look a bit too sharp) and the Alchemy one is nice, but I don't really like the others. The bunny one is kinda creepy, like kakashi said, though I liked the earlier gif you had with that same render it was really funny.
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Pretty good!!! The lighting effects look awesome~ Though the Render looks slightly 'Smooshed' -

While Im not familiar with the original background of this image (is that the original, or is it one that you chose~?) I have had that render in my list of ones that I wish to use sooner or later for quite some time~
=


@DeBaron - Ill add some effects to it~ XD
 
Last edited:

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@ DeBaron8: that coloring is huge oO I'm using a small monitor right now ... I had to minimize the picture to see it as a whole :) Awesome coloring. It's definetly higher than the amateur standards. I wish you luck.
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

It would be you to have it already stored in your collection, Coffee~ :oh

:XD​

Welcome to the Bi-weekly Signature Contests, zeltrax225!!! :hi5 It's always nice to see a new face around these parts of MH. Great signature dude~ Ten times better then my first time around here~ xD! Make yourself at home! This place is one of the most chilled out and fun areas to hangout on MH~ Need any feedback, help, etc feel free to post here and I'm sure you'll get a couple of replies to help ya out.

There's still time to submit something in for the bunny-themed contest! :thumbs

Coffee, where is your submission btw? :eyeroll


@ DeBaron8 - I'll check out your smexy new colourings later on~ I haven't forgotten about them. ;)
 
Last edited:

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@DeBaron - Ill add some effects to it~ XD
You want the .psd? Not sure where I could upload it, it's about 100MB. If you want it let me know and tell me a file hosting site that you like. Btw, thanks a lot, I look forward to the result. :D

@Bugzee - Don't miss the Bunny contest deadline!

@Shin - I'm glad you like my coloring.:) Sorry about the big size, it's the only way I know how to post Deviant Art pictures, which is the download link and the original is huge. I thought I'd have to go buy more RAM for a while, it was taking 1.3GB of memory to edit. :sweat
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@Bugzee
- Ill turn one in tomorrow if I make the cutoff

@Debaron
- Megaupload.com
 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Thanks for the comments guys! and @ Coffee, :tem yes it's that smexy render that I used but the background is from one of the stock I have.
You're right in saying that the render is smooooshed, that's because I had to make it signature size (it was resizing the entire picture altogether)
I'll try not to make it so stretched and thanks for the advice!
@Shinsatsu Thanks for your advice, I'll try to concentrate on the focus point of my sigs in the future..but I'm not sure how to make backgrounds :o..oh, but I do know how to render!
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@ Zeltrax - I think what Shin meant was that you should put the render on your own background, which it seems you did. You just blended it nicely so it was hard to tell, which is a good thing, because you want the backgorund to fit the render. But there are many ways to make a sig, so he also could hav emeant that most sig artists make their own backgrounds.

A background can be one photo, a composite, or something you make yourself, but most sig artists design a background using gfx and things like c4ds and/or fractals instead of using a picture. Look at sigs in the artists galleries of Shinsatsu and Coffee, or the hall of fame in the Art Gallery and you will see some typical sig styles. This doesn't mean that you have to copy their style, but you will probably get some ideas.

I presonally like to do all different styles and I really like how you did that sig, my only real problem is like Shin said, there is not real focal point. This can usually be achieved via lighting - brightness and contrast, and blurring/sharpening, epecially around the edges. You can also make it so the gfx don't cover the focal points, but cover other areas to varying degrees. All this will also create more depth.

Two tipa that helped me a lot were:
1) Resize and position the render first (make sure you select the box that says keep aspect ratio), and then work on the sig in the size you want it (and choosing a size is also important - most sigs are short and wide).
2) Add gradient maps or other overlays that help pull the sig together as one cohesive artwork.

I hope this helps. :)
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Well I submitted mine, though it was hard to choose from the ones I did as in I liked a few of them -


-
I was going to make a Hinata one like DeBaron when I got home last night, but I find out the Render I had in mind was showing a little too much skin~

@DeBaron
- Looking at your Zoro picture, Im not sure what effects Im going to add, as in its like a full screen shot and no blank space around it. So besides lighting effects, which you have seem to already have done, Im not sure what else you want added - XD


@Zee
- Interesting, different, and nice submission~
 
Last edited:

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Nice submissions everyone. :D

@Coffee - I know what you mean with my coloring. Maybe it is best without effects. I'm not really sure what I wanted, I just have seen some really nice colorings with like some stuff flying in the air (dust, etc). They just seem to give the artwork more grit abd more dynamic feel. I'm happy with the pic anyways, I was just hoping some effects might take it to the next level. But I couldn't find anything that worked, maybe suxh a close up is just not weel suited to having effects. Thanks for taking a look anyways. PS: You should still make your racy Hinata sig, just to show us. And can it really have more skin showing than Kakashi's?
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

On my return from visiting my parents, the interstate highway was closed for roadwork and I was forced to take an alternate route, which is now backed up with stop-and-go traffic. So, I might be getting home a little late.

The bunny contest is extended until whenever I get home to close it and start the same render contest. Be sure to vote for your favorite render and submit a bunny sig! :whoabunny


The rabbit contest is closed, and there are six beautiful bunny sigs from which to choose. Which rabbit wins the (carrot) cake? You decide. You have one week to cast your vote! :cheerbunny

It is finally time for the same render sig contest! Farfalla's render was the winning render, and so you will need to incorporate it into your submissions somehow. With everyone using the same render, creativity is key if you want to stand out from the rest of the pack. I hope you like this rather unique theme! :tem
 
Last edited:

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@DeBaron
- Yes, there is more skin as it incorporates headbands as a bikini XD

@Tsukisama
- Glad to see that you got back safely~
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@Zee
- Interesting, different, and nice submission~
Cheers~

I literally stumbled across this render (via Google ;P) while randomly searching for some of those "natural" wallpapers and green scenery-kind of pictures. You know the usual kind like desert, sky, oceans, farmland, animals on a field, forests, etc all those kind of typical "tags/labels". Anywhoo, so after finding it I was like :omg

...and then I was like kawaiiiiiiii :luv

shortly after that I was thinking about that particular render and then I was telling myself...how the hell am I suppose to make a sig out of that :oh or more importantly; how to make use of it in a sig? :XD Sure it's cute but I don't go with "just cute". It has to have a meaning and/or story as well! :shakefist

So I took a detour and decided to browse the net for some inspiration or something to trigger an idea of some kind. This is where my journey of collecting new, random pictures started. I browsed through the usual ones; flickr, photobucket, DV, google, more google, imageshack, blogsites, photoshop-tutorial websites, more google, youtube, back to photobucket and then I was like :wall :cussing :scry

Although, I was fustrated that I couldn't get any solid ideas or inspiration from this lil adventure; I still saved a crap load of pictures for no reason whatsoever~ I had a feeling though that some of them will come in handy in the near future~ So after this lil dilemma, there was only one option left:

Go back to the opening rabbit-themed submission thread post thingy and think....and think.....and think LOL! 2011 is the year of the rabbit, so eventually I decided to research and read a bunch of articles on it. Yeah I know.... I should've at least looked into it right at the beginning as Tsuki did make reference to it on the day he posted the new theme lol. I was too busy admiring Debaron8's hinata sig and seeking the same kind of ecchiness, smexiness and :nosebleed from it...kashy was going in a similar direction as well...I also thought Coffee would go in the same direction. At this point, I got a lil deja vu from the FIRE-themed week. We all know what happened. I missed the deadline. :-_- More importantly, it reminded me of the "fire" idea. Everyone seemed to go with red/yellow typical flames/fire-related sigs and ideas whereas I went with marco bluey. :3c Ok, it's not much of a massive triumph or suprise but I'm guessing you guys get the gist of where I was heading now...

Out with the seductive-trend...in with the new jin-jin baka trend~

Seriously now...I found this image and instantly fell in love with it. When you look at the sig, you assume that it was a simple downsize job. No sir. I had to crop it and redraw a fairly large part of it. I thank myself for completing those Editing cleaner tests for this part. Redrawing is a b***h but if you have patience and a lil bit of skill than you have no worries~ :derp

The right hand side of the sig represents the "fall" of Autumn and the left side of the sig represents the coming times of Winter. The main rabbit render symbolizes hope, happiness and luck. (To me luck is natural but meh I don't want to get into this.) Those scattered leaves that are texturised and coloured differently signify the changing conditions between each season. The lil chibi kid was a cute add on lol and I also used it for the theme of "hibernation" during the winter season. ;)

After reading this article, I pretty much had a solid idea of how I wanted my sig to look like and what I wanted it to represent/express~ There's a bunch of other themes that all connect into a small lil story. That's how I see it anyway. It was a cool, original and fun concept to work on~ :amuse

​



*Excuse any of the typo errors in advance lol.


Sorry my bad, the right hand of the sig represents winter and the left hand side of the sig represents the fall of autumn LOL! :fail
 
Last edited:

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Wow, Nice one Bugzee!
I really like your signature because the style there is different and have a very traditional kind of feel, especially the theme of winter and autumn!
:tem

I'm inspired and I can tell a lot from that sig.
I think this is a rare find IMO :o
I can tell quite a lot of time was put into this with so many things in it, yet it looks simple.
I'm sorry I can't describe it more detail-ly but I really like how unique it is :amuse ~!
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Question! Are we allowed add another render in the sig? Or only use the render we voted for?
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Question! Are we allowed add another render in the sig? Or only use the render we voted for?
Farfalla is correct. You can also use other renders, but Farfalla's render must appear in your submission in some fashion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top