All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2008-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Oh okay.

Been working on a sig today...have other modifications I want to make to it,but just wanted to show what I'm thinking of :tem

 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

I like where you are going with it so far. It is very pretty and serene. It has all of the right elements that I personally like. :nod It just needs a little more (text or some powerful image) to bring focus to it, but it is definitely a great start.
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Ok, but just how much does the render need to be visible in the sig?
Example - Can I use it for a displacement? Or just use a portion of it (like just the ribbons?)

Anyways -
My first idea while playing with the render was to have her floating in some water, but I realized that I didn't have the know-how to draw water that way, so I just made a basic layout of what I wanted until I figure out a way =


My second idea was to keep a lot of the size of the render and just use the face with something in really cold colors =


The third idea was to use a little more of the render and just go with it -


- Thoughts?
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

All three of those are acceptable for this contest (and look really lovely, by the way). :)

There needs to be enough of the render in the submission that it is very clear that you used the render in some prominent way. Don't just put her eye, some other small part, or have the render really, really faded to the point it cannot be seen.

If you have any questions on whether you have included enough of the render, just feel free to post your current work here and I'll let you know. ;)
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@ Kakashi - Wow, that looks great! I really like it :) Very pretty and nice butterflies.

@Coffee -I like the last one the best. Good colors and a nice flow.

I'm going to start something right now. :)
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

The First two I actually changed the render itself...
+1 internets to whoever notices what I changed on them~
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Here's my attempt. I lost most of the first one when my computer froze. :( But here is the second one. :)

 

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
15,210
Reaction score
47,678
Gender
Female
Country
Tuvalu
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

That's pretty cool, Baron^^
I had been stuck doing mine, lol XD Just now I realize it's kinda difficult to work with this render. At least, it has been for me XD
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Do you think this one looks better? I tried to add a bit more contrast.

 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

I like the first one ( a little too bright though) but the left side behind her looks pretty cool~
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Thanks for the feedback Farfall and Coffee. I had a very hard time making things darker and keeping the same blending effects on the sig. I'm way too lazy to make a new one, so I tried to tweak it again. Does this one look better and less washed out?

 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

A Question if I could.
What if I'm using stocks that I downloaded from a pack from other forums/websites/etc? How do I credit them? I can't link you to the stock image link because the image is in a zip file(pack) that is downloaded..
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Hey Zeltrax, Im pretty sure that if you just credit where you got the Pack from would be good.

@DeBaron
- Try using gradient maps or other adjustment layers and changing the blending mode and/or lowering the opacity~


Like my current sig has 1-3 gradient map layers on it.

Also if you find a good gradient that works good with some colors of the sig but not the rest of it. you can always use a mask to cover it or simply erase some of it. Using several adjustment layers to enhance colors or blend everything together a little more is common~
 
Last edited:

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

A Question if I could.
What if I'm using stocks that I downloaded from a pack from other forums/websites/etc? How do I credit them? I can't link you to the stock image link because the image is in a zip file(pack) that is downloaded..
~Coffee~ is correct. You should credit the renders you use to the best of your ability. If you know the artist who originally made the images, credit that person, but if that information is truly not available to you, then that is okay.

In this case, you would need to provide links as to where you got the zip file. If you got it from another forum, I would hope that wherever this zip file was posted the person who posted it gave some information on where he or she got the pack of images and who created them; if you have that information, please post that with your credits.
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

Thanks for the advice Coffee. :) I added a few more gradient overlays. Did I make it better or worse than the last one?

 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@ DeBaron8:
Nice work so far, but it seems that you overused visual effects. The render looks very blurry in this last version. I suggest you to go back a few steps and start from there :)

Another random sig:
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@DeBaron
- Though the lighting was pretty well defined~ Bright on the side the light was coming from and dark behind her where her shadow was cast~
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

@DeBaron
- Though the lighting was pretty well defined~ Bright on the side the light was coming from and dark behind her where her shadow was cast~
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Is the lighting ok, or bad? Did i mess it up?
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2011

I was telling you that its good to have it defined like that, your hinata sig does pretty good as well~
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top