Done An error in asklepios 006 translations

Status
Not open for further replies.

freija_robin

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
I want to make you to notice an error in askelepios 006 translation, more precisely in a translation note about author's medical details:

" page 08

Buzz: The blood's dark...
His "pulmonary vein" must be torn...!!

[T/L rant: Like I said, the author's medical details have always been a bit dodgy, but this is a clear mistake. The pulmonary vein, although termed a vein, contains red oxygenated blood. So if the blood is dark i.e. deoxygenated, it should be the pulmonary artery that's torn. Also, anatomically it's not likely that a fractured rib could tear the pulmonary vein or artery as they are deeper than depicted, situated beside the heart.] "

your note is wrong:

from wikipedia:

"The four pulmonary veins carry oxygen-rich blood from the lungs to the left atrium of the heart. They are the only veins in the post-fetal human body that carry oxygenated (red) blood."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_vein

I've a friend who is a nurse and she confirmed that your note is an error..

thanks bye bye!! :)
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
just out of curiosity as I am translating Asklepios from english to german:
where exactly is the error in the translation?

as I see it the wikipedia article you link to confirms the criticism momodaisuki raised.
 

freija_robin

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
ehm to pag 08...as a note of the translator...

that's one:

''[T/L rant: Like I said, the author's medical details have always been a bit dodgy, but this is a clear mistake. The pulmonary vein, although termed a vein, contains red oxygenated blood. So if the blood is dark i.e. deoxygenated, it should be the pulmonary artery that's torn. Also, anatomically it's not likely that a fractured rib could tear the pulmonary vein or artery as they are deeper than depicted, situated beside the heart.] "
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
[T/L rant: ... The pulmonary vein, although termed a vein, contains red oxygenated blood. So if the blood is dark i.e. deoxygenated, it should be the pulmonary artery that's torn.....] "

your note is wrong:

from wikipedia:

"The four pulmonary veins carry oxygen-rich blood from the lungs to the left atrium of the heart. They are the only veins in the post-fetal human body that carry oxygenated (red) blood."
excuse my reading ability but imho it still says the exact same thing
 

c_k

Global Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2007
Messages
904
Reaction score
1,058
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I want to make you to notice an error in askelepios 006 translation, more precisely in a translation note about author's medical details:

" page 08

Buzz: The blood's dark...
His "pulmonary vein" must be torn...!!

[T/L rant: Like I said, the author's medical details have always been a bit dodgy, but this is a clear mistake. The pulmonary vein, although termed a vein, contains red oxygenated blood. So if the blood is dark i.e. deoxygenated, it should be the pulmonary artery that's torn. Also, anatomically it's not likely that a fractured rib could tear the pulmonary vein or artery as they are deeper than depicted, situated beside the heart.] "

your note is wrong:

from wikipedia:

"The four pulmonary veins carry oxygen-rich blood from the lungs to the left atrium of the heart. They are the only veins in the post-fetal human body that carry oxygenated (red) blood."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_vein

I've a friend who is a nurse and she confirmed that your note is an error..

thanks bye bye!! :)
The error that the translator was pointing out was the fact that it was the pulmonary artery and NOT the vein. Because the character said that the blood was DARK, this indicates that the blood was deoxgenated, which comes from the artery and not the vein. If the blood was not dark, then it is the vein.

If you checked the wiki for pulmonary artery it says:
The pulmonary arteries carry blood from heart to the lungs. They are the only arteries (other than umbilical arteries in the fetus) that carry deoxygenated blood.
This means that the mangaka was wrong in saying that the pulmonary vein was torn, when in fact it should've been the pulmonary artery.
 
Last edited:

Ichido Reichan

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
24
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'd like to applaud Freija note on catching the mistake, nowadays the editors just slap the translations without even caring if the reading material makes sense or not, as a group leader, whenever there's a topic about fighting, I research such topic in something external from the manga text itself and complement it later.

Freija, you are a treasure on the manga community, I was just trying to start an awareness campaign

"Do not use literal translations!! Japanese is not english!!"

Specially in a manga about medicine, I would start buying books that doctors would use to study, very intriguing but my mangas are about fighting, being a martial arts fan (not a fighter. but I can defend myself) I can accurately relate to the material I'm about to write on the manga I am translating.
 

c_k

Global Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2007
Messages
904
Reaction score
1,058
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I'd like to applaud Freija note on catching the mistake...
Actually, if you read my post above yours, then you'd know that the translator was correct in his observation on the mangaka's lack of knowledge. The translator was stating that the mangaka used an incorrect term (pulmonary vein) and went to explain what should have been used (pulmonary artery), thus illustrating the mangaka's lack of knowledge. If you checked my link for the pulmonary artery (or if you were lazy, you could've just read what I copy/pasted from wiki) then you would know freija was incorrect in his error in stating that the note was incorrect.
 

momodaisuki

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
200
Reaction score
79
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
I appreciate people pointing out mistakes, but like Akainu and c_k have already said - thanks guys :) - I don't see the problem here. There was probably just some confusion cuz the pulmonary vessels are different from the other systematic vessels in regards to the type of blood they carry. And I was just making a quick point so my explanation wasn't clear, so with that to add to the confusion... XD

@Ichido Reichan:
I think it'd be more considerate of you to read through the thread before posting a comment like this, which I found rude (this being a thread about my translation and all). If you want to start a talk about how you don't like certain TLs cuz they're too literal etc, why here? There's a balance b/w accuracy & liberal TLs and this is just my style. Unless you're willing to give constructive criticism in a respectful manner, as they say, you shouldn't be complaining or even reading free TLs to begin with.

And about the comment you've directed to editors, I agree you have a point. I for one was a bit surprised my notes were in the scans, cuz I just put them there as an offhand remark. TLs aren't perfect and it would be good if everyone could help. But editors do what they can do, it's a hobby & done for free, if you leech you should appreciate whatever effort's been put into it etc and I really don't want to go into it. This isn't the thread for that anyway.

Also, just to make a point, you'd be happy to know I'm a medical student. So don't get me started on all the books I have that doctors use to study. I am extra careful about the medical notes I put in (hence usually I don't bother). And like I said, before you posted your comment, maybe you should've read through this thread before talking about reading books.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top