Discussion anime vs manga

Which do you prefer?

  • Viewing One Piece in animation

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Viewing One Piece in the manga

    Votes: 66 52.8%
  • Manga and anime are equally enjoyable

    Votes: 49 39.2%

  • Total voters
    125

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
well since this thread is quite calm beside the sunday episode, I will try to find a discussion topic
In the last episodes I found that the manga did a better job than the anime on some topics and vice versa, so I would like to ask you what scene you think you prefered the manga over the anime or the anime over the manga.

manga>anime
  • The reaching of red-line, I already said it in the episode thread, but the anime was really disapointing on that point
  • I like the new perso presenting bubbles

anime>manga
  • Zoro fights with the swords sound and his mumbling voice with wadou in is mouth
  • Sogeking song
  • the CP9 vs Mugiwara confrontation at the top of Enies lobbies tower (that is the dramatic moment where animation can be a very good plus, even if the manga was not bad either)

well I will think to some other later but feel free to complete
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiser Will

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
1,295
Reaction score
456
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Definately in the manga when they reach the red line is far more exciting than in the anime!
And the fight between Nightmare Luffy and Oz!

But the Supernovas apresentation in the anime was super cool~!
And when was shown for the very first time the Sabaody Archipelago!
 

Metal D. Reaper

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
84
Reaction score
2
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I chose for the manga because for manga readers that saw the anime have a dejavu like they already saw the colors and that is quite impossible because it is in black and grey but still you have that feeling and the manga is far more faster and exiting

anime+ some cool fights like crocodile vs luffy round 3
CP9 vs strawhat crew
and other stuff like the supernova's and other stuff
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Yeah, the anime is sometimes dragged out into a dull mess, especially when it's going by 1 episode/1 chapter, like on TB (although the current arc is epic enough in itself to not let that ruin it).

There are also no fillers in the manga. :amuse

The best thing about the anime is the voices of the characters. All of the regular seiyuu nail their characters' voices perfectly. Also, when it was still the OP, the original version of "We Are" was one of my favorite things about the anime. :)

I guess there are a lot of things worth mentioning, but the main reason I like the manga more is that the anime hasn't got the same good pace.
 

toxun

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
290
Reaction score
18
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
The last 2 movie may put sizable in my opinion, the anime often mess up. The filler they put sometime good, but not rare mess up with main plot. It might describe good at certain place, but such "euphemism" they put there make the plot goes weird. Ah of course there's are good one such theme song (I like those ;)).
 

Razh

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
7,302
Reaction score
3,580
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
As far as fillers are concerned One Piece isn't really that bad.

Hell, I didn't realize G8 was a filler until I started reading manga. It was so well thought out. The main characters behaved just like they usually do and marines at the base were also convincing.

I especially laughed when the marines accidentally confined that supervisor from HQ, and Ussopp seeing that Robin assumed his identity starts calling out to him as if he's their friend. I can't remember the name though.

Oh right, Condoriano. Lol
 
Last edited:

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
well I found some of the fillers pretty lame (In particular last one, except for Brook episode), but G8 is one of my favorite (with foxy re-match).

manga>animé
not one chapter was ever bad :-)
 
Last edited:

Gecko Moria

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2008
Messages
1,074
Reaction score
288
Gender
Male
Country
New Zealand
Manga>Anime
1. Since the manga always pwns :p
2. The manga is ahead by a mile
3. The manga comes out more often
 

BlackHair

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
2,503
Reaction score
1,005
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I prefer usually Manga. But specially fighting scenes are mostly in Animes better.

@Mods plz add vote :)
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I don't think a vote is necessary (don't need to be a fortune teller to forecast the result :-), plus this is not really the object of this thread which is more the quality and drawback of both mediums
 
Last edited:

deffkryz

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
809
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
Manga > Anime

Since there are way too many errors and fillers in the TV show - and most of them aren't done by (German) dub errors but due to lack of "talking to Oda".

I just stepped over the error that Tashigi never used her Kashu in the anime but her Shigure and that it had only one appearance without its petal-shaped tsuba... (watch Episodes 79 and 123 and look at chapter 523) It wasn't even corrected when she was talking with Smoker about the 300 million Berry bounty on Luffy's head. (episode 342 vs chapter 439) And this is only a minor error just like Marco's wrong hair color in his first anime appearance.

They changed how the story began, left out most of the cover stories (which did not have worse ratings than the rest of the episodes) and made fillers out of novels and games (Ocean of Dreams) - sorry, but the more I do this "nitpicking" the more a prefer the manga over the anime.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I'm surprised you didn't mention the bad drawings in a lot of the recent episodes in the anime, since you made such a nice comparison in the Latest Episode Discussion thread. Well, since you didn't include this in your post, I'll go ahead and just make some comparisons.


The whole fight between the marines and the three captains just made me depressed. It was one of the most awesome moments in the manga but completely ruined in the anime.

Also, they can't even draw the hero right?


Oh, and I must include this one as well (even though I couldn't find the matching manga picture), that plex posted in the latest episodes thread. This shot has to be the worst in an anime ever.


The One Piece anime used to be one of my favorites but now it's difficult for me to watch because of these kind of things. :darn
 

deffkryz

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
809
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
I'm surprised you didn't mention the bad drawings in a lot of the recent episodes in the anime, since you made such a nice comparison in the Latest Episode Discussion thread. Well, since you didn't include this in your post, I'll go ahead and just make some comparisons.
Well, I don't want to repeat myself all over and over and over. And most of the time I actually was satisfied with the animation and drawing style. ;)

But since Enies Lobby it's just getting worse - everytime they use the better animation teams for the movie the drawing's getting cheaper. I'm just glad you didn't show a capture from that "woman" who was cataloging the Kuja's prey... That one Ran was talking to... *shrug*
 

Shadoguardian

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
540
Reaction score
210
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I prefer Manga. True the pictures are neither coloured nor moving, but at least the quality of drawings never drops. In fact, they keep getting better!
 

OdaisaGod

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 4, 2009
Messages
18
Reaction score
2
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
While I personally will always love and watch the anime the manga wins hands-down for me. Probably the biggest reason is the fact that I have always seen what happens in the manga before watching the anime. Once I see how it happens in the manga it becomes harder for me to be surprised or moved by how the anime deals with the same event. The major point of this for me is during Enies Lobby when Ussop does his "It ain't like it's hell here" speech. When I first read that in the manga I almost cried because I was so moved and so in sync with the events at that moment. When I saw it in the anime it was good but it didn't affect me the way the manga did.
 
Last edited:

thewar

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
654
Reaction score
249
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I like read the manga and watch the anime .
 

thsv

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
280
Reaction score
35
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Although I read and watch (playing massive catchup on the anime) I'm beginning to prefer the anime over the manga. The fillers are better than the competition's. The background music is great. Between work, eating, boozing and sleeping all I seem to do is watch One Piece.
 

firework

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2007
Messages
174
Reaction score
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I prefer the manga for now, but once they remake the anime series (removing broken frames and slightly editing it), I think I will enjoy it more than the manga.

It was like that for DBZ Kai for me. I liked the manga, hated the first rushed low quality anime, then loved the remade one.
 

daman246

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
1,662
Reaction score
400
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United States
well the manga for now since its more advanced but if the anime and manga are both in the same arc then anime will win easily
 

deffkryz

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
809
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
I definitely like the anime due to the Seiyuu and the Soundtrack. But the continuity of the series is quite a mess - sometimes they wipe fillers out of history (Apis), sometimes they decide to keep fillers due to popular characters (Ace in Arabasta), and since the Cobymeppo coverstories, they decided to drop them for the TV show which is disappointing for me as well as the decision to let Tate animate several episodes with the epic scenes - additionally Toei messed the Amazon Lily arc.

So, I prefer the manga now while thinking how the seiyuu may sound in several scenes and thus create an "inner anime" while listening to the soundtrack. Its faster to read, has smaller download sizes (20 MB per chapter Edited Manga vs. 100-500MB per Episode as RAW/fansub), and it's faster to look sth. up.
 
Top