Answer the Question with a Question! - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil3ye

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
7,276
Reaction score
28,463
Country
Fun Forum
Well, I suppose the bandwidth wont be effected.

Images / tags are fine as longs they are not hot linked.

And they comply with the existing rules, etc.

For example you upload the image to your own account on some on-line host, like imageshack or photobucket, etc.

Then its fine.

I hope that was a clear explanation?
I don't get that logic, do I have to?
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,053
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You can post the url to the link.

However, if you want to post [with img tag] someones else uploaded image or gif, etc...

You should, upload the image to a service like imageshack or photobucket or something similar.
 

Evil3ye

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
7,276
Reaction score
28,463
Country
Fun Forum
1) LINK[[I]/[/I]url] 2) [img]LINK[[I]/...? *dumb* Why would one (you) change 2) to 1)?
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,053
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1) LINK[[I]/[/I]url] 2) [img]LINK[[I]...d this article to for more info on hotlinking.

This article basically explains it well doesn't it?
 

Evil3ye

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
7,276
Reaction score
28,463
Country
Fun Forum
Both are fine unless its hot linked.
So why did you do that then?

I don't get it, how can one even hotlink, when html codes are off for us normal users anyway <strong><i><u>?</u></i></strong>
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Still talking about that hotlink stuff?D:
 

shaheer

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
4,190
Reaction score
2,208
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
what r you ppl talking abt?
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,053
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If the file your using on the image tag is from your own account on some file hosting site, that you created.....

then you can use the image tag.

If your stealing/copying the url of the image or gif from some website (that is not yours) and

posting it here with then that is called hot linking, because you are

stealing the original servers bandwidth by hosting it here.

------------------------------

In order to avoid that, you can do one or two of the following things.

Option #1) instead of the image tag, just post the url (just the link)of the site your taking the image or gif from.


Option #2) download the image you want to use in your "img tag" on to your own computer.

Then upload that file to your own hosting service, like imgaeshack or photobucket or something similar.

Then with your own url (that is generated by that uploading site for your file), use the "img tag", here on mh with that link, if you wish to do so.

-------------------
I don't plan to explain anymore, as I've tried my best to explain the "hot link" situation.

There are ton of sites explaining what that is. I've already listed some in the other posts.

Another one explaining what it is below.

[url]http://www.virtu-software.com/ask-doug/QandA.asp?q=77[/url]

------- edit:`

An exception to the rule are site's that allow a (any) user to use their image codes for linking.

Seems like the 4gifs (for example) website does this, as means to self promote their site, but w/e.

back to the thread.....

[B][COLOR="Red"]No more hot-link discussions, please pm me for questions instead.[/COLOR][/B]

_________________________________________________________
 
Last edited:

shaheer

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
4,190
Reaction score
2,208
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
That is one HUGE post for a FF thread...esp this one now isnt it?
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,053
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeap, I know. ^^

That is what happens when you try to explain one thing but doesn't succeed on the first or consecutive tries?
 

shaheer

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
4,190
Reaction score
2,208
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
err was that a question?
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
what do you think?
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
What is a true question?
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,239
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Isn't that the answer?
 

Evil3ye

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
7,276
Reaction score
28,463
Country
Fun Forum
The hotlinking rule is a rule I won't bother to follow lol. Banned? :P
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top