Shoujo - Ao Haru Ride by SAKISAKA Io | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shoujo Ao Haru Ride by SAKISAKA Io

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Ao Haru Ride
By: SAKISAKA Io
Genre: School Life, Romance
Serialized In: Betsuma
Mangaupdates

Yoshioka Futaba has a few reasons why she wants to "reset" her image and life as a new high-school student. Because she's cute, she was ostracized by her female friends in junior high, and because of a misunderstanding, she couldn't get her feeling across to the one boy she has always liked, Tanaka-kun.

Now in high school, she is determined to be as unladylike as possible so that her friends won't be jealous of her. While living her life this way contentedly, she meets Tanaka-kun again, but he now goes under the name of Mabuchi Kou. He tells her that he felt the same way as she did when they were younger, but now things can never be the same again. Will Futaba be able to continue her love that never even started from three years ago?

By the Mangaka of Strobe Edge

Last edited:

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Re: [NEW] Ao Haru Ride by SAKISAKA Io

Oh man I guess I'll read this although I didn't liked the ending of strobe edge much :\

I guess this one will be different.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

The start is cute. Nothing ground breaking or jaw dropping, but still a pleasant read. I like Futaba, she's pretty easy to identify with. The male tsundere has been done to death, so far I'm not a huge Kou fan. My opinion may change once we learn what happened to him over the last three years. I assume a divorce, the details of which will make him easier to sympathize with.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

The male tsundere has been done to death, so far I'm not a huge Kou fan. My opinion may change once we learn what happened to him over the last three years. I assume a divorce, the details of which will make him easier to sympathize with.
I can see that, I can see that. Kou is just annoying, no? :XD There is Shou from Skip Beat!, now I have another male tsundere. This is so funny yet cute. XD

I really wish I could see the next chapter ASAP, things are getting interesting. The end of chapter 8 leaves you wondering of what would become of Futaba and her new friends. I'm looking forwards to the complications, as well as the solutions. Kou's past is interesting as well. So far we get the rough idea, I think: parents divorced, problems with brothers, and perhaps another personal issues.

---------- Post added October 29, 2011 at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was October 02, 2011 at 03:30 PM ----------

Chapter 10 is out a while ago.

Not a very far advance in the plot, but at least Futaba has made a new step forward to have better, true friends. I love to see how she, Yuuri, and Murao started to open up towards each other. It is sweet. Especially when Yuuri cried but tried to be fair to Futaba. I hope nothing from the three of them was fake. ^^ Kou is annoying as usual, but he actually cares. The change of his mood and expression is totally unpredictable, though. I like that. XD

Slow, but I look forward for more. :)

---------- Post added November 26, 2011 at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was October 29, 2011 at 12:20 AM ----------

New chapter, chapter 11 is out several days ago. With one chapter per month, I can't help but hoping that the pace of the story would get a bit faster. XD I wonder what exactly happened between Kou and Yuuri at the kitchen. And is that hints of jealousy I see from Kou? *wishful thinking* Either way, I want to see more romantic scenes and advancing plot from this series next time. XDD

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: [Shoujo] Ao Haru Ride by SAKISAKA Io

What a lovely chapter. I feel warmth flowing from the characters. I really like it, despite fights they have, outside or inside themselves. Like for example how Futaba and Yuuri can talk about liking Kou that openly... Unless I'm wrong judging Yuuri, she is such a lovely girl. And their idea to help bring Kou out of his darkness is sweet too. Fingers crossed on this. Argh, I want more! XD

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

It has been a while since I last updated myself on this, but I really like the pace of Ao Haru Ride now~ Everything comes naturally. The characters development and feelings which bring the plot to advance more. Chapter 13 and 14 are very sweet that I couldn't help squealing and smiling reading through them. I like how Kou managed to overcome one great wall inside himself. I guess he had always wanted to be who he was, but he thought he didn't deserve it. That is just sad. I am kind of worried that he would return to his mask again whenever he faced discomfort about family matters, but at least this is a good start. Good job for Futaba and everyone else too. The art is so cute that I really love them all. <3

And, oh my gosh, a rival for Kou has finally come. This is going to get so interesting. :asa

Reactions: Nii

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Seriously, no one else reads this series when it is so good?! :mono

I really enjoyed the moments between Futaba and Kou, from the sweet ones to sad ones. I like the dynamic, how hesitant they both are, the jealousy, but the feelings are actually there. Time is all they need. I also like how the characters grow, as usual, especially between Yuuri and Futaba. Yuuri may be a little too good in my eyes; she has such a big heart to accept her 'loss' over Kou. I think that's cool although she may be a bit too kind. XDD

I so want to see more chapters, OMG. One rival down, one more arise! This is going to be fun. <33

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Seriously, no one else reads this series when it is so good?! :mono

I really enjoyed the moments between Futaba and Kou, from the sweet ones to sad ones. I like the dynamic, how hesitant they both are, the jealousy, but the feelings are actually there. Time is all they need. I also like how the characters grow, as usual, especially between Yuuri and Futaba. Yuuri may be a little too good in my eyes; she has such a big heart to accept her 'loss' over Kou. I think that's cool although she may be a bit too kind. XDD

I so want to see more chapters, OMG. One rival down, one more arise! This is going to be fun. <33
I'm reading it phio XD

I agree with you, it reminds me a bit of KnT in that aspect. The love is definitely there but they don't really know how to approach each other. Futaba is a bit carefree thinking that her actions together with Kikuchi don't matter to Kou. Or maybe it's just that she hasn't realized that Kou has developed feelings for her. It always looks so clear from the outside but I guess when you're in that situation it's hard to realize.

That said, I think the new rival isn't bad. At this point I doubt that Kikuchi has a chance but he's creating a lot of trouble. He's kind of cute and is rather proactive when it comes to Futaba - which seems like the oposite of Kou who's pretty relucant, maybe because he hasn't realized his own feelings :s

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Then you need to post here more! :mono

I agree that Futaba seems not to realize Kou's feelings yet... I think she is just that 'dumb', and that she feels getting closer to Kikuchi lately is no big deal at all, since she knows exactly what she feels inside. Problem is, we only know what we can see and we interpret things from there, don't we? So understandable when Kou gets jealous, so cute, ehehe~

I think Kikuchi is a great person. He doesn't seem to have been in love before, so this seems new to him... It was fun looking at him trying to get closer to Futaba even though all he said was "I want this person to like me." but not yet in romantic situation, LOL~ XDD He will be a nice 'enemy' for Kou! <333

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Then you need to post here more! :mono

I agree that Futaba seems not to realize Kou's feelings yet... I think she is just that 'dumb', and that she feels getting closer to Kikuchi lately is no big deal at all, since she knows exactly what she feels inside. Problem is, we only know what we can see and we interpret things from there, don't we? So understandable when Kou gets jealous, so cute, ehehe~

I think Kikuchi is a great person. He doesn't seem to have been in love before, so this seems new to him... It was fun looking at him trying to get closer to Futaba even though all he said was "I want this person to like me." but not yet in romantic situation, LOL~ XDD He will be a nice 'enemy' for Kou! <333
I just saw the thread by chance, I'm sorry :gwah

Dumb? Feel maybe a bit foolish but I feel like it's always the hardest to figure out the people who you've fallen in love with - probably because your senses are somewhat shrouded by that feeling. Ofc it depends on the situation but Kou's behaviour isn't really helping her so it's definitely not that easy to figure out XD And as much as I understand Kou's reaction to Kikuchi/Futaba it's just plain dumb, he's making it more difficult for both of them (Kou and Futaba) and is possibly creating a big chance for the two (Futaba and Kikuchi) to get closer. Now Futaba clearly loves Kou but that doesn't mean there's absolutely 0 chance for Kikuchi :s

Well he clearly fell in love with her, it's pretty cute when his face starts to go all red when he thinks of Futaba :XD I'm sure he will a nice rival for Kou - I know that I will feel sad for him when Futaba ends up with Kou.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

New chapter, new chapter! Almost two new chapters! Well, if you want to count the spoiler I have for chapter 20, that is. :p

Chapter 19 is so... lovely, in my eyes. We get to see another side of Kou, thanks to that friend whose name I forget, LOL~ But that's very sweet of him and I have this feeling that their friendship is growing stronger steadily. And, well, we have always felt that Kou actually still likes Futaba, but now we've seen for real his feelings for her, mwahahahahaha~ Futaba's discussion with Kikuchi is nice as well. I feel like laughing at this almost-triangle love, so cuteee~ XDD

I already know what will happen at chapter 20 since I took a peek a while ago. In case you're curious as well...

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I've just read the 20th chapter....

Forgot about what happened before because

THEY GODDAMN KISSED :fangirl

That really surprised me, I wonder if Kou did it because of the things Kominato said or if it was an accidental slip. I'm going for the first one (he probably did it without thinking though) because it looked like he was worried about Kikuchi :hee

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

I've just read the 20th chapter....

Forgot about what happened before because

THEY GODDAMN KISSED :fangirl

That really surprised me, I wonder if Kou did it because of the things Kominato said or if it was an accidental slip. I'm going for the first one (he probably did it without thinking though) because it looked like he was worried about Kikuchi :hee
Obviously I will go with the first reason as well. It's crystal clear what Kou feels for Futaba, and also obvious that he was rather annoyed when he saw her with Kikuchi. Since that day when he saw Kikuchi's gaze at Futaba when they saw the scores or something, raised up higher on that situation at the cafe, and reached the peak when he saw Kikuchi and maid-Futaba. And after the talk with Kominato, he probably realized something a bit...

Oh, goodness, please just let them be together. I can't wait!! <33

---------- Post added September 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was August 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM ----------

Goodness. Today is such an amazing day. Really. So much happiness in few hours, I really couldn't take it!

WARNING: Only take a look if you're ready. :hurr

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Sorry phio, I just couldn't look before I read the chapter :XD

but wow, I really didn't see this coming. I believed it would take more time but Kou was more agressive than I thought :o

anyway, such a cute and lovely moment. When Futaba screamed that she didn't care I was going all "please no, NO :crying" but then Kou surprised me with that surprise attack. Really well done!

Now I wonder how things will develop from this point on, I already smell some trouble with Kikuchi and Narumi =/

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

are you talking about chapter 21....???

okay I really looooooved this manga. Awesome story-writing from the author. Well done.

she had me hooked at "Our eyes would meet, then we'd look away, and our eyes would meet again". Beautiful play of paneling and script here that told paragraphs of youthful emotion.

YOUNG LOVE FOR THE WIN :allthe

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

okay I read the translations.

It just seems really hilarious that high school girls run from boys. I encounter this in a lot of shoujo manga, and I really find it ridiculous, but at the same time nostalgic- yes I can attest that high school girls... they tend to run. literally. Then when they turn 18 or something, feeling the groove, having mastered the art of flirtation or hiding their feelings or whatever, then they only "run" figuratively. lol.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

I only recently able to read the chapter with translation properly. Gosh, staring at those pictures.... :x3

Sorry phio, I just couldn't look before I read the chapter :XD
LOL~ No problem. Actually at that link there is a translation already, just not inserted in the pages (meaning the pages are yet to be cleaned, still in Chinese).

are you talking about chapter 21....???

okay I really looooooved this manga. Awesome story-writing from the author. Well done.

she had me hooked at "Our eyes would meet, then we'd look away, and our eyes would meet again". Beautiful play of paneling and script here that told paragraphs of youthful emotion.

YOUNG LOVE FOR THE WIN :allthe

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

okay I read the translations.

It just seems really hilarious that high school girls run from boys. I encounter this in a lot of shoujo manga, and I really find it ridiculous, but at the same time nostalgic- yes I can attest that high school girls... they tend to run. literally. Then when they turn 18 or something, feeling the groove, having mastered the art of flirtation or hiding their feelings or whatever, then they only "run" figuratively. lol.
I agree with the writing style. Something about this series just got me in the core and I couldn't stop asking more for it. As if it was played in the casual speed, feels so real and lovely even though you said it is kind of cliche with the elements. I can't tell it myself, but it's fun to see the complications and twists getting on each other but somehow the characters find a way through. <3

How much I love Futaba and Kou, oh my gosh. Kikuchi and Narumi, look forward to your tricks to separate them! :derp

This is probably the fourth or fifth time I read the chapter, but the last page still makes me flying so high. :blush :blush

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

---------- Post added September 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was September 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM ----------

ne, nii-chan. the Edited Manga of ch21 is out. you can read it now :XD

Last edited by a moderator:

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany

ne, nii-chan. the Edited Manga of ch21 is out. you can read it now :XD
but I've already read it :o for a sec I thought there was a new chapter and I missed it :notrust

Look here, I made some comments regarding the 21 chap:

wow, I really didn't see this coming. I believed it would take more time but Kou was more agressive than I thought :o

anyway, such a cute and lovely moment. When Futaba screamed that she didn't care I was going all "please no, NO :crying" but then Kou surprised me with that surprise attack. Really well done!

Now I wonder how things will develop from this point on, I already smell some trouble with Kikuchi and Narumi =/

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

:sweatdrop I always make bloopers like this don't I? >.>

Anyway, I read Aoharaido straight 20 chapters in one go- then while waiting for ch21, I tried reading strobe edge from the same mangaka (which I didn't enjoy as much, btw).

Then while I was reading 21, I got kind of disoriented at what I was reading LOL.

To be fair, there is one big difference with Aoharaido and Strobe even at this early stage in the former. Ao is more straightforward and fast-paced, compared to the super long stretch and slow pace of Strobe that really killed that manga, IMO. I also read Strobe in one night, and in a frenzy, I might add, because I was getting impatient about it <_>

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

I was almost lost too, in a different case but similar to nii-chan. I forgot what was the latest chapter so I got excited last night thinking that chapter 21 was the new chapter.

:fail

Anyway, I haven't checked Strobe Edge so I couldn't tell much. But from the posts around the series didn't seem to be very satisfying in the end. I hope AHR won't end up like that; the author better learned the good lesson already. <3

---------- Post added October 10, 2012 at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was October 04, 2012 at 11:21 AM ----------

New chapter is out. As usual, don't open it if you don't want to be spoiled, but ultimately this week... Don't read it if you want to save your day.

---------- Post added October 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was October 10, 2012 at 05:19 PM ----------

Well, the chapter has been released properly.

I'm really, really sad. Given what happened in previous chapter, and given the opening of this chapter (they were really sweet, gosh! Kou needs to stop breaking my heart that way!), I'm sad it turns out this way.

Kou is too kind. I can understand what he thinks and feels, though. After all, he was once there. But if that girl dares to lie.... :arro

Last edited: