Discussion - Arlene Grace Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Arlene Grace Thread

Ripcord

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, I guess your right. I looked and I guess we don't. Good catch juna.:verily

I think we'll see her again quite a bit more in flashbacks as the series progresses. Though I sort of doubt we'll ever see her in person because I believe she found some way to die and "escaped the tower" that way.
If we see her I bet it will be some kind of memory she left behind. I had hoped we would meet more heads on the HF but that didn’t happen.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I'm not sure. It's a hole in my theory for sure.
It’s not that she got outside. She just found a place where there was no administrator. Like there was some throwaway place that no admin had ever been to, but she found it.

How tragic is that though? She finds a way to get away from the admins only to realize it’s not actually outside the Tower. She can’t get to her stars from there and likely couldn’t get back in the Tower either. Can you imagine how much more insane she gets? Rachel grows up around this or knew about it. No wonder Rachel is messed up.

MrPuncho

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Theory: Akryung is Arlene Grace

MrPuncho

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have seen theories of Akryung being V, but Arlen? Does he look like a female to you? :o
A) Akryung's wearing a mask. B) Shinsu is a miracle substance that interrupts the role of god. But a chick dressed as a dude? That's a peculiar limitation.

I should probably elaborate: Rachel wasn't meant to enter the tower. But she did. One could assume that Rachel entering the tower could f*ck Arlene's plans up. Enough to warrant her re-entering the tower to make sure that Bam does what he's supposed to, even with all the prophecies in place. You can never be too careful.

Basically, my theory is that she's re-climbing the tower and keeping an eye on Bam. *shrug* In my mind, the theory's simple, clean and doesn't conflict too much with the information provided.

Brian Taboada

Reaction score
Country
United States
A) Akryung's wearing a mask. B) Shinsu is a miracle substance that interrupts the role of god. But a chick dressed as a dude? That's a peculiar limitation.

I should probably elaborate: Rachel wasn't meant to enter the tower. But she did. One could assume that Rachel entering the tower could f*ck Arlene's plans up. Enough to warrant her re-entering the tower to make sure that Bam does what he's supposed to, even with all the prophecies in place. You can never be too careful.

Basically, my theory is that she's re-climbing the tower and keeping an eye on Bam. *shrug* In my mind, the theory's simple, clean and doesn't conflict too much with the information provided.
Dont buy it. Personally, I am not even sure Arlene is alive. But if Arlene is alive, Rachel knows who Arlene is and she would of said something or recognized something about Akryung. I also believe Rachel was meant to enter the tower. Without her, Baam would never have entered the tower or climbed it. Baam was about to abandon the climb on the second floor if not for Rachel. Without Rachel early on, it is questionable if Baam would have ever climbed the tower.

MrPuncho

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dont buy it. Personally, I am not even sure Arlene is alive. But if Arlene is alive, Rachel knows who Arlene is and she would of said something or recognized something about Akryung. I also believe Rachel was meant to enter the tower. Without her, Baam would never have entered the tower or climbed it. Baam was about to abandon the climb on the second floor if not for Rachel. Without Rachel early on, it is questionable if Baam would have ever climbed the tower.
It was to my understanding that, according to SIU's blog post, Rachel's admittance into the tower was an accident. It was meant to admit Bam but it let in Rachel first because of the way they were both positioned on top of the gate.

And I don't think it's beyond Arlene's capabilities to disguise herself well enough to fool Rachel.

Also, if anything, it would've been easier for Bam to climb the tower without Rachel. That way, he would've had a cohesive and determined reason to climb the tower: to get back to Rachel.

levi12

Reaction score
Country
Austria
I wish to learn more about her and V if the series return from its hiatus. While I am just guessing I think both of them are good people and the very least their intentions towards Bam are good.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Arlene doesn't seem to have good intentions, she uses Baam as a tool for revenge. But she gets a pass because she apparently lost sanity.

What V did is really lame though.

paulbee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Arlene doesn't seem to have good intentions, she uses Baam as a tool for revenge. But she gets a pass because she apparently lost sanity.

What V did is really lame though.
Yeah, Arlene going Nuts does explain a lot. For me it's not just her merely using Bam as a tool for revenge that puts me off, but it's the seeming abandonment of Bam inside the dark caves, with only the servant girl (Rachel), that highlights her loss of mental rectitude. (I am aware that Rachel hinted that Bam posed a certain danger to people as part of why he was exiled to the caves, but that is no reason for Arlene not to visit him) . I think that in past Feudal times princes have always been raised and trained to be the "sword"/ the avenger of harm and injuries done by enemies to the clan or tribe or ancestors. I see Alene's attitude as similar to those times.

Just thinking about it now, it is possible that Arlene did not intend for Bam to enter the Tower at the apparent age that he did. I think Rachel inadvertently triggered his entry before the intended time. It is also possible that Arlene had every intention of her "son" entering this young, with the hope that the heights he will reach by being forced to grow whilst climbing was deemed to be worth the risk of sending a young child inside.

Last edited:

Brian Taboada

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just thinking about it now, it is possible that Arlene did not intend for Bam to enter the Tower at the apparent age that he did. I think Rachel inadvertently triggered his entry before the intended time. It is also possible that Arlene had every intention of her "son" entering this young, with the hope that the heights he will reach by being forced to grow whilst climbing was deemed to be worth the risk of sending a young child inside.
I think the second part of this (in red) has to be the case. If Baam was so dangerous that he had to be hidden away in a cave, it would seem ludicrous to allow him to grow while outside the tower. If he grew too strong outside the tower, Baam could potentially escape the cave and reek havoc on the community upon learning he was abandoned in the cave. I believe Rachel was always planned as the vessel to get Baam into the tower. I think Rachel was played by Arlene but she may have also been instructed as to what her part was and decided to coop the story for herself.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
They blindly believe in "Fate". Arlene probably put him there and left him to fate. She might or might have not expected Rachel to be the trigger but I don't think it matters. The prophecy says he is supposed to slay Zahard, that was enough for her I guess.

Rachel imust be mad because she wanted to stop him from climbing but she ended up being the reason he opened the door.

Anzere1stclass

Reaction score
Country
Mauritius
I'm sure that Arlen is like Rachel she betrayed Zahard began a war on him try killing his friends just for a damn keys people think she is the victim but no she is playing the victim she is responsible for zahard corruption if she had not betray him i don't think zahard would have killed her child it has shown that zahard didn't oppose Arlen and V relationship because they're had become a couple while climbing the tower Arlen is just the Rachel of tog previous story
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I wish to learn more about her and V if the series return from its hiatus. While I am just guessing I think both of them are good people and the very least their intentions towards Bam are good.
No there are not that good there betrayed there friends start a war on them just for a damn keys

Wha

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Rachel imust be mad because she wanted to stop him from climbing but she ended up being the reason he opened the door
I am not sure about that. Right at the beginning, when Bam chases after her and finally manages to catch her, he tells her that he will folow her no matter what (or something like that). We then see a picture of her smiling. Like she wants him to follow her.

Anzere1stclass

Reaction score
Country
Mauritius
I am not sure about that. Right at the beginning, when Bam chases after her and finally manages to catch her, he tells her that he will folow her no matter what (or something like that). We then see a picture of her smiling. Like she wants him to follow her.
No it's was because she was getting into the tower that why she smiling she thought the tower had chosen het and thought she will reborn

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I'd say there is a bit of both. She doesn't like the fact that Baam is the chosen one, but she likes being chased because it makes her feel special. She said something like this before their separation too. That since she knows about Arlen he still has a reason to pursue her.

Reactions: Wha

Wha

Reaction score
Country
Austria
yes, she also did that. Just reread the chapter. It's the first (or second) one right at the beginning. The door opens, she smiles, then Bam is Bam and tells her that he will follow her til the end (don't know the exact wording anymore) and she smiles (at least i think she did haha)

edit: @Anzere , completely forgot to quote you, sry!

Jubei_Kibagami

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you talking about when he mounts Rachel?

Yeah, we've seen that look before...

• Hug
Reactions: Wha

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Something I was wondering,Arlene wrote lot of important things in her diary,but before leaving the Tower what did she do with that?Did she leave that in the Tower or took it with her to the outside?Garam didn't know who gave Arlene's pocket to Anne,maybe someone brought it from the outside and gave it to her,who knows maybe the Captain actually brought it from the outside and gave it to her.The captain seems to know a lot about Baam returning to the Tower so yeah maybe he is the brought the Pocket in the Tower.That's my speculation.

Jubei_Kibagami

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Something I was wondering,Arlene wrote lot of important things in her diary,but before leaving the Tower what did she do with that?Did she leave that in the Tower or took it with her to the outside?Garam didn't know who gave Arlene's pocket to Anne,maybe someone brought it from the outside and gave it to her,who knows maybe the Captain actually brought it from the outside and gave it to her.The captain seems to know a lot about Baam returning to the Tower so yeah maybe he is the brought the Pocket in the Tower.That's my speculation.
The custody of the pocket is certainly peculiar, and more mystery. Chapter 320 for reference.

- she wrote she found a way out of the tower - OK, sounds like something you'd write before you go on a trip, so it seems it stayed in the tower at that point

- but in the same, continuous journal entry, she also wrote: "but even as I was leaving this place..." which is strange wording. Sounds as if she's documenting a process as she goes along. Like I said on page 1, what did she do - stand in the doorway and write her letter then chuck it to Headon (or whoever)?

- she also, while not knowing exactly where she's going or what it's like there, knows of things outside the tower and future events. Sure, she came from outside the tower - did she know of the 'god' outside before entering? Had she already met him/it and Enryu prior to signing on with the original group of irregulars? Is that where she learned the magic arts? I get knowing of the god outside, but how could she possibly see into the future? A spell perhaps.

So, maybe she took it out and it was brought back in. It makes more sense it always stayed in, but then how does she talk of the process of leaving in a present tense? I guess the fact she ultimately doesn't write what it's like outside the tower as that is still an unknown to her is a deciding factor. If she were traveling around outside the tower she might have continued the diary. If pockets even work out there.

I still think a suicide euphemism works quite well for 'finding a way out of the tower' - she found a way to overcome the spell keeping her from self-deletion.

lazybum

Reaction score
Country
France
I wonder if Arlene is gonna come back. She did wage a war just to be able to access the upper floor, so if somehow Baam reach floor 134, she'll appear again to try challenge floor 135.