Discussion At What Age Will You Stop Reading Manga?

dee02

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 12, 2013
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Gender
Female
Country
Indonesia
my sister shout this question every time she caught me reading manga..let me now your opinions :)

for me, I can't and won't stop reading manga!!
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,072
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dont think I could see an age to stop reading manga. It would be like suggesting an age to stop reading books. I thought I would potentially outgrow the young adult novels and what not, but well even now starting mid 20 or so I still read those books as I guess their fun. I dont think Id stop manga either, even this long after high school I guess I still enjoy reading all these series on high school clubs and what not, its just fun to sit back and think of those days or even just imagine myself for a few moments in these series thinking back to simpler and funner times, plus its like a fantasy since manga school is > IRL high school, would have been fun.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I have the same opinion as Shark, there is no age to stop by reading mangas. There are mangas for all ages and even that which is for teenagers or yound adults, in theory, is still funny to read after those ages. In reality, there is a nonsense preconception regarding mangas, since they are like any other book and give the same entertainment.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Manga covers a broad range so even if something doesn't appeal to someone now, they could enjoy it a few years later.

I don't think I would ever stop reading manga, but I'm pretty sure that I'll read less than I'm reading now (and it's not a lot to begin with either). One of the places I would love to work is Japan so if I were to move there, my reading list will be cut down because I intend to read a series solely through a magazine or a tankobon. Since they cost money, I'll only pick the manga I'm really passionate about.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I don't have any particular goal of "when I would stop reading manga" in mind, considering I don't think that Manga only caters to specific age range. Like what have been said by the others, Manga is akin to a book, you can pick it up anytime and if you still enjoy it, it doesn't matter what your age is. I know a relative of mine who has been enjoying Manga for around 20 years - he's in his 40s now. And nope, he's not like super geeky or anything.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,072
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Manga covers a broad range so even if something doesn't appeal to someone now, they could enjoy it a few years later.

I don't think I would ever stop reading manga, but I'm pretty sure that I'll read less than I'm reading now (and it's not a lot to begin with either). One of the places I would love to work is Japan so if I were to move there, my reading list will be cut down because I intend to read a series solely through a magazine or a tankobon. Since they cost money, I'll only pick the manga I'm really passionate about.
Oh yeah I could see that, maybe Id change or embrace a few more genres as time goes on instead of staying focused in my particular taste and storylines at this point in time. I dont think Ill ever read ecchi series and what not even as time goes on, though maybe I might finally move on to look into more josei and senien targeted series.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Oh yeah I could see that, maybe Id change or embrace a few more genres as time goes on instead of staying focused in my particular taste and storylines at this point in time. I dont think Ill ever read ecchi series and what not even as time goes on, though maybe I might finally move on to look into more josei and senien targeted series.
Our interests change as we grow older so our tastes in manga could change too. A few years ago I wouldn't have imagined that I would be reading several seinen series as I do now.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It changes with your age, but it changes with "your age in manga" as well. At least with me I began to read simple and famous mangas; even though I still read them I start to read more seinens and more complex stories currently.
I think your taste doesn't change, it is not the right way to say, your taste and interest grows.

I want to read manga along my entire life if possible.
Not only until One Piece finish. :derp
 

Beatrice

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2013
Messages
1,657
Reaction score
1,425
Age
35
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
When I die.
 

TStew

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2013
Messages
165
Reaction score
155
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I suppose I'm atypical in that I only started to read manga in my early 30's. And I really only did it to continue on with the story of an anime I really like. I got to say I felt a bit awkward walking up to the counter at the bookstore the first time with manga in hand, but now that I've overcome the initial awkwardness of it, I hope to expand to some more series which is one of the reasons for coming here. I'm not too familiar with all the terminology, or classifications, but I do find myself more into the more serious animes/mangas not so much with all the ones that are made for younger audiences where all the main cast are all high school kids if you know what I mean (though there are still plenty of those I did enjoy).
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I'll stop reading manga as soon as I can no longer find manga that interests me. Simple as that.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'll stop reading manga as soon as I can no longer find manga that interests me. Simple as that.
That's the problem. There are infinite mangas, we don't know evem 1/10 of all them. There is always something which will interest someone, somewhere.
 
Top