Discussion - Bakugo and OFA | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Bakugo and OFA

Nightwayfarer

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Serbia
So,since we know the plot of the new movie (and the original version of the MHA ending), what do you think - would it be a good idea for Deku to give Bakugo OFA permanently in the future?

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
No, it would be the worst thing that could happen to the manga.
1. He doesn't deserve OFA.
2. Him getting OFA would make his whole character and everything he did worthless. His constant "I'll surpass everybody, even All Might!" means jackshit if he needs OFA to do it.

Avtarino

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Yeah, Bakugou’s character trajectory has been steadily moving away from OFA-AM-Deku for sometime now. Which is good, because a lot of his characterization early on relied heavily on the readers’ perception that he’s “bad” which later on was revealed stemmed from him feeling threatened by Deku (who secretly received OFA from AM, their idol).

Now he’s deciding his hero name and wants to let Best Jeanist to know it first

Pr0teu5

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m going to have to disagree with the people above me, and say that I would like Bakugo we have OFA permanently, but only under certain conditions.

Firstly, I wouldn’t want Bakugo to have all of OFA. They would have to split it.

I’m not sure how Horikoshi could write this into the Manga, but as the OP says, Horikoshi has definitely been thinking about this for a while.

Look at these two color pages for example.

In the first we see All Might with a large sword which I believe represents his power. In the second, Deku and Katsuki both split the sword. Which I think represent splitting All Might’s power.

I know that some will probably say that the sword doesn’t represent All Might’s power and is more metaphorical. However, in the first Deku does not have is gloves, and it the second - which came out right after Deku learned Air Force - does. So, I think the clothing in the cover represents power. Even more evidence. In the first image Deku has no weapon, but you can see the hilt of Bakugo’s dagger. In the second Deku has his inherited sword and nothing else, while Bakugo has the inherited sword and his dagger. This represents his explosion quirk, and Inherited OFA.

If they do split OFA, I can imagine Bakugo getting the two quirks of the two shadowed predecessors, and maybe 40% of the stockpiled power. While Deku would keep maybe 60% of the stockpiled power and quirks of the four clear predecessors.

This way I can see Deku surpassing AM and being number 1 with 4 quirks, Katsuki surpassing AM and being number 2 with 3 quirks, and Todoroki surpassing AM and being number 3 with 2 quirks.

To be honest, with 6 quirks and 100% OFA Deku would easily surpass AM with no challenge, and neither Todoroki nor Bakugo would be real rivals.

I feel like something like this would make things more interesting.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
No, it would be the worst thing that could happen to the manga.
1. He doesn't deserve OFA.
2. Him getting OFA would make his whole character and everything he did worthless. His constant "I'll surpass everybody, even All Might!" means jackshit if he needs OFA to do it.
By that logic everything bakugo is doing is already worthless though. What actually are bakugos chances of surpassing allmight? Allmight is a god damned monster. And the series has made the point that he was such a monster from the get go. As in, consider what the series has told us about allmight:

1.- Allmight had the capacity to use 100% of OFA from the very start. Basically the guy was for whatever reason a mass of muscles since he was a teenager. Deku has been at it for almost a year and a half iirc and he has barely gotten to 20%.
2.- Allmight put in the work to get as far as he possibly could. He didn't just have insane talent, which he absolutely had, and abused a mass of free power, he put in the work to go further. He left the country for years to prepare to fight AFO... and the result is that he was a match to the guy.

Even looking at more recent stuff... We saw AFO and allmight duke it out. Both were nearly dead shells of their former selves... And even endeavor with all his power and skill could only stare in awe at the two unmatched monsters behind him.

Allmight has a quirk which grants him vast amounts of superhuman strength, speed and endurance... He could change the weather with a punch when he was past his prime. Odds are that in his prime allmight could be toss through a city and all it's buildings and he'd survive... How many buildings can endeavor survive being thrown through? How many buildings could bakugo, whose quirk provides zero physical enhancements of any kind, survive being thrown through once he reaches his prime?

I think the point here is not necessarily that non midoriya characters have a chance of surpassing the monster that is allmight. Rather the scenario here is that there is meaning in the search of perfection even though attaining it is impossible (except for allmight who attained it and midoriya who has more power than allmight within him).
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

As for bakugo getting AFO.... honestly, I have no idea. Looking at the series I can't rule out horikoshi going for something like this. If the series is about midoriya's school life then it looks pretty damn unlikely that within the 3 years midoriya has left of school he will acquire the power to beat a fully restored AFO. Even shigaraki has substantial combat experience, years even, and is getting boosted to new levels. So if deku alone is inadequate to handle the monsters that are very much right around the corner... It makes sense the story will compensate via more characters.

That said, I do think it is extremely unlikely that deku will permanently give power to others. OFA has been build for generations to combat AFO. It's power, as I understand it, is necessary to fight AFO and his lackeys. Now that the power has reached this concentration and the capacity to utilize other quirks.... It'd be almost absurd to have it split and be less of itself. Though I suppose we can't rule out them manga giving an excuse to such a thing like deku actually not having the constitution to master OFA in its current state either... Still, I'd make the point that this isn't a good prospect and it wouldn't be a good development. Specially because it'd give bakugo even more relevance....

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m going to have to disagree with the people above me, and say that I would like Bakugo we have OFA permanently, but only under certain conditions.

Firstly, I wouldn’t want Bakugo to have all of OFA. They would have to split it.

I’m not sure how Horikoshi could write this into the Manga, but as the OP says, Horikoshi has definitely been thinking about this for a while.

Look at these two color pages for example.

In the first we see All Might with a large sword which I believe represents his power. In the second, Deku and Katsuki both split the sword. Which I think represent splitting All Might’s power.

I know that some will probably say that the sword doesn’t represent All Might’s power and is more metaphorical. However, in the first Deku does not have is gloves, and it the second - which came out right after Deku learned Air Force - does. So, I think the clothing in the cover represents power. Even more evidence. In the first image Deku has no weapon, but you can see the hilt of Bakugo’s dagger. In the second Deku has his inherited sword and nothing else, while Bakugo has the inherited sword and his dagger. This represents his explosion quirk, and Inherited OFA.

If they do split OFA, I can imagine Bakugo getting the two quirks of the two shadowed predecessors, and maybe 40% of the stockpiled power. While Deku would keep maybe 60% of the stockpiled power and quirks of the four clear predecessors.

This way I can see Deku surpassing AM and being number 1 with 4 quirks, Katsuki surpassing AM and being number 2 with 3 quirks, and Todoroki surpassing AM and being number 3 with 2 quirks.

To be honest, with 6 quirks and 100% OFA Deku would easily surpass AM with no challenge, and neither Todoroki nor Bakugo would be real rivals.

I feel like something like this would make things more interesting.
Good catch on the color pages. My thoughts mirror @ShenGao. But, knowing Horikoshi, I do think something like this is possible.

The person who ofa should be shared with is Mirio, hands down. Bakugo can't even hold his jockstrap

Pr0teu5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good catch on the color pages. My thoughts mirror @ShenGao. But, knowing Horikoshi, I do think something like this is possible.

The person who ofa should be shared with is Mirio, hands down. Bakugo can't even hold his jockstrap
Don’t bet me wrong. I’m not saying that this will happen by any stretch of the imagination. I just saying if Bakugo were to get OFA permanently he would have to do it kind of like this in order for it to make sense.

I will say, for better or for worse, BNHA is a typical shonen. Though it does innovate in some ways, it still borrows a lot from what came before.

Take Naruto and DBZ as an example. In both cases the relationship with the rival is critical to the story. The same is true in BNHA with Deku and Bakugo. Though the main character is ultimately stronger in the former two series, the power of the MC and the rival comes from the same place, so there is always the potential that the rival can pull ahead.

If BNHA bucked this trend, we would just have a super powerful Deku with Bakugo as a rival that can never conceivably surpass him from a power standpoint.

This wouldn’t necessarily a bad thing, just a departure from the norm.

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don’t bet me wrong. I’m not saying that this will happen by any stretch of the imagination. I just saying if Bakugo were to get OFA permanently he would have to do it kind of like this in order for it to make sense.

I will say, for better or for worse, BNHA is a typical shonen. Though it does innovate in some ways, it still borrows a lot from what came before.

Take Naruto and DBZ as an example. In both cases the relationship with the rival is critical to the story. The same is true in BNHA with Deku and Bakugo. Though the main character is ultimately stronger in the former two series, the power of the MC and the rival comes from the same place, so there is always the potential that the rival can pull ahead.

If BNHA bucked this trend, we would just have a super powerful Deku with Bakugo as a rival that can never conceivably surpass him from a power standpoint.

This wouldn’t necessarily a bad thing, just a departure from the norm.
I definitely get what you’re saying, and do think your theory is legitimate. Even without the additional quirks, 100% ofa Deku would still be way above Bakugo. Bakugo will need some type outside boost to get on the same level as Deku and even Todoroki if he realizes his full potential.

DemonKing888

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What does everyone think about the time traveling Bakugo theory. Alot of people have pointed out that one of the shadowy past users looks like a older Bakugo. The movie shows us that this user even has red eyes like Bakugo.

I hope they don't add time travel into this story, but what is the possibility of there being a time based quirk. We have space warping quirks and Eri's rewind quirk, so it's not the biggest asspull.... Anyways some people on the internet have came up with a theory that Bakugo will some how end up in the past and choose to stay there, afterwards he will find one of the past OFA users and explain to them how the quirk works and why he needs to gain the quirk so that he may build upon it and pass his explosion quirk on to present day Deku.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
What does everyone think about the time traveling Bakugo theory. Alot of people have pointed out that one of the shadowy past users looks like a older Bakugo. The movie shows us that this user even has red eyes like Bakugo.

I hope they don't add time travel into this story, but what is the possibility of there being a time based quirk. We have space warping quirks and Eri's rewind quirk, so it's not the biggest asspull.... Anyways some people on the internet have came up with a theory that Bakugo will some how end up in the past and choose to stay there, afterwards he will find one of the past OFA users and explain to them how the quirk works and why he needs to gain the quirk so that he may build upon it and pass his explosion quirk on to present day Deku.
This whole theory is standing solely on the fact that Bakugo and the shadowy OFA user have spiky hair. If same hair = same character would be true, then Deku, Mina Ashido and Yo Shindo would be the same character.

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
This whole theory is standing solely on the fact that Bakugo and the shadowy OFA user have spiky hair. If same hair = same character would be true, then Deku, Mina Ashido and Yo Shindo would be the same character.
But now it's been pointed out in the movie that the user has red eyes and plus he has some type of gear on his arms. The design is really to close to home.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
But now it's been pointed out in the movie that the user has red eyes and plus he has some type of gear on his arms. The design is really to close to home.
If spiky hair, red eyes and some type of gear on the arms are reason enough that people believe in a wacky time travel theory then here is my counter theory:
Bakugo's name doesn't contain the kanji for any number between 2 and 6.
Katsuki's surname contains the kanji for "bomb" (爆 baku?) and "powerful" (豪 ?), and his first name contains "to win" (勝 katsu?) and "self" (己 ki?).
The first kanji used to write Katsuki's surname is also the first kanji that's used in the word "explosion" (爆破 bakuha?).
Having a kanji that can be seen as a number is something all OFA users so far shared:

Izuku's surname contains the kanji for "green" (緑 midori?) and "valley" (谷 ya?), and his given name contains "coming out/being from a certain place, one's turn to go on" (出 izu?) and "long ago, old story" (久 ku?).
"久" is also homophonous to "nine" (九? usually read as kyū), which refers to him being the ninth user of One For All.
All Might's real name contains the kanji for "eight" (八 ya?), "tree" (木 gi?), "genius" (俊 toshi?) and "law" (典 nori?).
Her names contain the kanji for purpose, will, determination, aspiration, ambition (志 shi?), village (村 mura?)vegetable (菜 na?) and what (奈 na?).
Additionally, "nana" (七) is the Japanese word for "seven", a reference to her being the seventh One For All user.
It's more believable that the original Destro was the 4th OFA user (Chikara’s first name is composed of the kanji for "lord, chief, master" (主 chika?) and "tax" (税 ra?), and his last name is "four" (四ツ yotsu?) and "bridge" (橋 bashi?).) than that Bakugo will be invovled with time travel and become a OFA user from the past.

Pr0teu5

Reaction score
Country
United States

I actually think this theory is fairly plausible and I like parts of it. The only thing that doesn’t make sense about it to me is why are their two shadowed figures and not one?

I would assume that they’re shadowed for the same/similar reasons i.e. they are both time travelers that Deku would recognized.

So, in some versions people say that the other figure is Kirishima. Which kind of makes sense.

As Shen is saying the names are important as every known OFA user has a homophone of their place in the succession in their name.

Nana Shimura: Nana is 7
Toshinori Yagi: Ya is 8
Izuku Midoriya: Ku is 9

So per the theory, we would have.
Kirishima Eijiro: Shi is 4
Katsuki Bakugo: Go is 5

So Eri would have to send both Bakugo and Kirishima back in time, Kirishima would have to get OFA from the third user and then pass it on to Bakugo to make the theory work.

This isn’t impossible, but it is a bit complex for my taste.

Avtarino

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
There is a lot of ifs for “time-traveling Bakugou” to work. For one, if we take that Bakugou is somehow a past OFA holder (!), this must mean one possibility is he received OFA and went back in time (!!). We haven’t seen any quirks or quirk effect that transcends time***, so this theory is unlikely.

(*** I will discuss Eri at the end because she’s a favorite to bring up whenever time shenanigans theory is involved)

Of course, even if it is somehow possible for Bakugou to receive OFA and go back in time there are other glaring problems:

1) this means the OFA Bakugou received was the post-singularity OFA, which is magnitudes stronger than OFA ever was. Why don’t he take out AFO in the past then? AFO exists and was only taken down by AM, so we know that he wasn’t defeated in the past.

2) If Bakugou received OFA from Deku then was sent to the past that makes him the tenth holder. If he was counted as a past holder, then somehow:
a) the OFA holders have been miscounted and Nana, AM, and Izuku were not 7th, 8th, and 9th holder
b) Bakugou is simultaneously the 10th holder and a past holder (???)
c) at some point there are two copies of OFA running around (Because when Bakugou was sent back in time, there is already an OFA holder)

That doesn’t make sense to me

Moreover, like some people have pointed out, the theory rests solely on very surface-level similarities of the outline of that one past OFA user. I think this is an unbelievable stretch, worse than basing theories off similar-looking quirks (My favorite crackpot theory is still “Overhaul is related to Momo” so I know full well how bad it is to base theories only off superficial similarity. It’s fun, sure, but at the end of the day, it’s a crackpot theory)

***Eri and time shenanigans***

No, I don’t think Eri’s quirk is capable of “time travel” in the usual sense the word is used in fiction (sending someone back in time).

For one, so far what we have seen Eri’s quirk do is “revert people to a previous state”, not bonafide time travel. Let me elaborate.

We have seen Eri’s quirk work on Deku (in Deku v Big Overhaul), and what it did was remove the injuries he received in the yakuza raid. Immediately after this, Deku started feeling pain all over his body—which we associated with him getting rewinded into non-existence— his previous injuries from vs Muscular and from sports fest did not disappear. In other words, Eri rewinded Deku to a “previous normal state”: right before he started the yakuza raid but already acquired injuries from his past OFA abuse.

Similar thing also happened to OH — two times, even— OH+Nemoto was rewinded to just OH, and Big Guy 4u + OH was rewinded to just OH.

Even with the anti-quirk bullets—which are modified version of Eri’s quirk—we still don’t see any bonafide time travel of any sort. You could say that what the quirk-erasing bullets do is just rewinding quirk factors into its previous state: before it manifested, leaving someone effectively “quirkless” (we already know the bullets “targeted quirk factors directly”)

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
I actually think this theory is fairly plausible and I like parts of it. The only thing that doesn’t make sense about it to me is why are their two shadowed figures and not one?

I would assume that they’re shadowed for the same/similar reasons i.e. they are both time travelers that Deku would recognized.

So, in some versions people say that the other figure is Kirishima. Which kind of makes sense.

As Shen is saying the names are important as every known OFA user has a homophone of their place in the succession in their name.

Nana Shimura: Nana is 7
Toshinori Yagi: Ya is 8
Izuku Midoriya: Ku is 9

So per the theory, we would have.
Kirishima Eijiro: Shi is 4
Katsuki Bakugo: Go is 5

So Eri would have to send both Bakugo and Kirishima back in time, Kirishima would have to get OFA from the third user and then pass it on to Bakugo to make the theory work.

This isn’t impossible, but it is a bit complex for my taste.
It was pointed out that the other shadowy figure has yellow eyes in the movie so sadly not Kirishima. As for Bakugo, I think the time travel and being stuck in the past would be the only possible way he would get OFA. But let's say that the past user isn't Bakugo the design and gear style on his arms makes it look like he would have a similar fighting style to Bakugo, so another future role for Bakugo would be to train Deku on to how to fight like him.

Pr0teu5

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was pointed out that the other shadowy figure has yellow eyes in the movie so sadly not Kirishima. As for Bakugo, I think the time travel and being stuck in the past would be the only possible way he would get OFA. But let's say that the past user isn't Bakugo the design and gear style on his arms makes it look like he would have a similar fighting style to Bakugo, so another future role for Bakugo would be to train Deku on to how to fight like him.
I agree, I was trying to point out the for the time travel theory to be true Kiri would have to come along, so the theory is unlikely.

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, there would have to be two copies of OFA or other weird paradoxes.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
If bakugo gets stuck in the past, does that mean he is his own grandfather? That would explain his behavior and personality. Though not why anyone tolerates him.

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, I was trying to point out the for the time travel theory to be true Kiri would have to come along, so the theory is unlikely.

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, there would have to be two copies of OFA or other weird paradoxes.
I mean for it to work, GO meaning 5 would mean the 4th user would have to give it to Bakugo, and Bakugo would then pass it on to the 6th user. Yea it's a silly thoery with paradoxes but that's never stop authors from writing them. But I do agree with every how dumb the thoery is, but I just thought I bring it up after seeing it in reddit so much.

Clown from Argentina

Reaction score
Country
France
Send a character to the past = kill a character in main story. :catshrug

Obviously, no one will do this to the most popular character of MHA.:yodawg

The author will be killed by fans,lol (70% community read this manga only for his growth):umad

LgS_WaRioR

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
So, Bakugo is so pathetic that he needs the OFA to be at Midoriya's level.