Mag Talk Bessatsu Shonen Magazine

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Nooooo.... :gwah Hope he gets better in the next year(s) though.
Of course I hope he gets better too, but damn. He must have something serious if they're cancelling the series opposed to just putting it on indefinite hiatus. That or the series despite being new really wasn't getting positive reactions from fans.

Being a mangaka isn't easy...
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Of course I hope he gets better too, but damn. He must have something serious if they're cancelling the series opposed to just putting it on indefinite hiatus. That or the series despite being new really wasn't getting positive reactions from fans.

Being a mangaka isn't easy...
Yeah, I think it's really serious. Seems like he even trouble making his deadlines, as for popular, I don't really know...
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah, I think it's really serious. Seems like he even trouble making his deadlines, as for popular, I don't really know...
If it was popular, then I doubt the editors will cancel the series due to the illness; they rather put in hiatus. So, I think it is not much popular.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
If it was popular, then I doubt the editors will cancel the series due to the illness; they rather put in hiatus. So, I think it is not much popular.
How many chapters did the series run before being cancelled? As far as I can tell it wasn't even enough to be included in a tank right? If it didn't even run long enough for there to be a reaction then it has to be more because of his health than popularity.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
How many chapters did the series run before being cancelled? As far as I can tell it wasn't even enough to be included in a tank right? If it didn't even run long enough for there to be a reaction then it has to be more because of his health than popularity.
It serialized for 9 months, so I think the editors get the idea about whether it is above their expectations or below.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
It serialized for 9 months, so I think the editors get the idea about whether it is above their expectations or below.
Yeah, that sounds about right. I guess it really wasn't popular then. Hopefully he recovers and can serialize something else then. Or is there a precedent for reserializing something that didnt' do well the first time? Sorta like giving something a second chance?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It serialized for 9 months, so I think the editors get the idea about whether it is above their expectations or below.
Is Bessatsu Shonen Magazine in any position to cancel series that quickly based on popularity? When was the last time a series was canceled after only nine months, for any reason?
 
Last edited:

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, that sounds about right. I guess it really wasn't popular then. Hopefully he recovers and can serialize something else then. Or is there a precedent for reserializing something that didnt' do well the first time? Sorta like giving something a second chance?
I can't think of any examples for manga-original series, but the Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, Date A Live, and Haruhi manga were all canceled after a volume or so because they did really poorly (I think DAL might have been because of the artist getting sick, the others just had crap art), then brought back with new artists. All of those were based off of popular LN series though, so I doubt something with an original story is going to get a second chance. For all we know, it was the story people didn't like in the first place.

Right, it was Jumbor that I couldn't remember. That got a second chance in Ultra Jump after being canceled in WSJ.
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Is Bessatsu Shonen Magazine in any position to cancel series that quickly based on popularity? When was the last time a series was canceled after only nine months, for any reason?
We're talking about a series that was cancelled because the author seems to be very sick AND it wasn't exactly a hit out of the gate. What we (or maybe just me) are curious about is why this series was cancelled rather than just put on hiatus. Now the reason may just be that he's far too sick to ever draw again or any number of things but it's strange that this is what they decided to do.

I can't think of any examples for manga-original series, but the Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, Date A Live, and Haruhi manga were all canceled after a volume or so because they did really poorly (I think DAL might have been because of the artist getting sick, the others just had crap art), then brought back with new artists. All of those were based off of popular LN series though, so I doubt something with an original story is going to get a second chance. For all we know, it was the story people didn't like in the first place.

Right, it was Jumbor that I couldn't remember. That got a second chance in Ultra Jump after being canceled in WSJ.
Oh right I recall Jumbor being reborn, though in that case I think it was more Takei being semi popular with Shaman King and his willingness to continue it more than anything. Are any of the series you mentioned still running? Or just short light novel cash ins?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Canceling a series based on popularity while the mangaka was too sick to work would be so evil. "So sorry to hear about your condition, but ranking polls are in, and you didn't make the cut. Since your in no condition to carry on anyway, we figure now is the best time to cancel..."

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

We're talking about a series that was cancelled because the author seems to be very sick AND it wasn't exactly a hit out of the gate. What we (or maybe just me) are curious about is why this series was cancelled rather than just put on hiatus. Now the reason may just be that he's far too sick to ever draw again or any number of things but it's strange that this is what they decided to do.
I'd imagine he was too sick to establish any real time frame for return. It could have been a situation where the mangaka had to quit, rather than take an indefinite hiatus. Except Shingeki and Sankarea, most of the manga in this magazine are pretty obscure. Among the rest of the series, I doubt there is much separation in ranking between top and bottom. I'm sure the occasional series is canceled based on popularity, but I doubt that is the norm. I would imagine these are unusual circumstances, not that the magazine took the opportunity to cancel an unpopular series because the mangaka is sick. I am also naturally skeptical because of the habit of some sub-forum regulars to attribute everything to popularity.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Canceling a series based on popularity while the mangaka was too sick to work would be so evil. "So sorry to hear about your condition, but ranking polls are in, and you didn't make the cut. Since your in no condition to carry on anyway, we figure now is the best time to cancel..."
Dude It's the entertainment industry. Everyone knows the Entertainment industry is inheriently evil. It's why child actors and actresses end up becoming drug dealers and turning tricks, and why even best selling mangaka seem to be so very unhappy. Entertainment sucks the soul out of everyone involved in it leaving them souless husks looking for another way to chase a dollar that will never be theirs no matter how much they pursue it.

....Besides maybe he (the author of Gringo) agreed this was for the best too.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
The Japanese publishing industry is harsh, but I doubt it is that harsh. Not everything is a popularity contest. Other factors might have contributed. How big a difference in popularity could there really have been between Gringo and Tortoise Delivery?
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
The Japanese publishing industry is harsh, but I doubt it is that harsh. Not everything is a popularity contest. Other factors might have contributed. How big a difference in popularity could there really have been between Gringo and Tortoise Delivery?
That's just the thing. Gringo was cancelled so early that we'll probably never really know. Maybe given a year, it might have become the next Shingeki. A lot of people here and out there tend to think that popularity is something that happens overnight all of the time. It's rare to get One piece or Shingeki numbers, but it's even rarer to get those numbers overnight.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
That's just the thing. Gringo was cancelled so early that we'll probably never really know. Maybe given a year, it might have become the next Shingeki. A lot of people here and out there tend to think that popularity is something that happens overnight all of the time. It's rare to get One piece or Shingeki numbers, but it's even rarer to get those numbers overnight.
Well, I can see that BSM editors are really eagerly looking for another hit series. Since SnK become mega-hit, they are starting new series on every issue and they pretty much axing everything at early state.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh right I recall Jumbor being reborn, though in that case I think it was more Takei being semi popular with Shaman King and his willingness to continue it more than anything. Are any of the series you mentioned still running? Or just short light novel cash ins?
Haruhi just ended at 20 volumes, although it said it was the end of "part 1" since it caught up with the LNs. Blade Dance and Date A Live are both still going, although DAL only just started a few months ago and I don't think there's even a volume out yet.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
It actually ran for 8 chapters.
Author took a break between c04-05 because he couldn't make his deadline and went on hiatus after December (c08) without warning.
Also, the series has had one volume out and is like 1~2 chapters short for its second volume.
Finally, throughout it's run, the series always had an irregular number of pages. Never 35-45 but always less usually
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Shingeki no Kyoin: 13 Volumes, 36 million copies

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top