Art Best Manga Art

akomaru28

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 24, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: In terms of art

Yeah Sorry about that I have not read any shoujo and I have read a few seinen so I'm not going ask for that the best art in those category.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: In terms of art

Yeah Sorry about that I have not read any shoujo and I have read a few seinen so I'm not going ask for that the best art in those category.
Compared to that list manga like Vagabond or Berserk have just so much kickass arts that you have to read them simply for that sake :D
(Both are best a little into the story. Berserk like beginning at Volume 6 or 7, Vagabond becomes brilliant within the first 100 chapters, but actually is amazing right off the bat)

For me:

1) Vagabond
2) Kokou no Hito - Very similar style to Vagabond imo, and a similar quality, too!
3) Berserk
4) Vinland Saga
5) Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest
 

Bromamura

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
273
Reaction score
142
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Obviously it's all subjective but personally:

Tenjho Tenge
As someone have mentioned before Tenjho Tenge have some nice art work. Ogure's drawings' are very detailed in terms of mechanical precision and anatomy.

Blame!
The art is sketchy but its gritty and stark feel really suits the sort of post-apocalyptic urban decay present within the manga.

Shin Angyo Onishi
The character artworks are in various aspects similar to Tenjho Tenge, but if I were to differentiate the two manga overall (me being no expert of art), I'd say that SAO feels softer, with more flair and vibrance in comparison to TT's 'clean' look.

Jiraishin
I've not read the manga myself but came across these pages and thought that they deserve a mention, quite moody and atmospheric.
 
Last edited:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
I recommend Otoyome-gatari for those who want to see some really refined, detailed art...
But I really like the art from The breaker...both the first story and New Wave...korean artists are really good...either comical scenes, fighting or just sexy chicks
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Berserk captures my imaginary like no other, I feel anything can happen, I believe Miura can draw anything he imagines. It is a series that has both good and art but not focused on character design like many others. The setting is also drawn with so much imagination and it feels that the mangaka sept so little time on it when it is finally done, but in reality it is something he focuses on too much.

I am surprised Gantz has not been mentioned yet. Sure ok I get the whole computer stuff, but seriously it is an art-style that is not like any other. It is so different I believe is the right word. The aliens in particular. The main reason I keep on reading Gantz is because I want new aliens to be shown. Their design captured my eye the most. The human characters are also greatlly drawn but not as well as the aliens in my opinion. All of the technological stuff is also eye-candy for someone that likes great and most importantly in Gantz it feel clean, the art is really clean.

Inoue's works are often positively reviewed in terms of art, for me REAL has a better mixing of story and art then Vagabond which is more art orientated. Overall Vagbond sometimes focuses too much on the art and characters, that it is like watching something from real life. Watching a scene form real life right there even though you are reading a manga. REAL on the other hand is not as advanced in art but the mixture of art and story is magnificently done that makes me respect it more.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Inoue's works are often positively reviewed in terms of art, for me REAL has a better mixing of story and art then Vagabond which is more art orientated. Overall Vagbond sometimes focuses too much on the art and characters, that it is like watching something from real life. Watching a scene form real life right there even though you are reading a manga. REAL on the other hand is not as advanced in art but the mixture of art and story is magnificently done that makes me respect it more.
Since Vagabond originally was a Novel, he probably could spend a lot more time on arts than usual :)
I don't think it focusses too much on the arts. Now, certainly, it's a lot of fighting and thus a lot of panels beeing "wasted" without progressing the story, but that's lying the genre after all. And it's somewhat of a milestone in arts, that allone is deserving praise :D

Actually you're right about Berserk. For some reason I tend to underestimate it lately, dunno why...
it delivered so amazing shots. After watching this one for a while, I almost thought the sun would actually dazes my eyes: http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/...4_8_YXEMH_berserk-v08c09p200-201-copy-jpg.jpg
I really love it when Miura combines his magnicifientally detailled characters with beatiful environments: http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/T33_K3SS3LCH3N/Anime Manga/GuttswandertimSchnee.jpg
Some more Berserk:
Night Sky
Forest Hut
Dragon
Mountain Path

There can't be any other manga out there besides Berserk giving me so many highlights of arts and design. Ok, Berserk is long, 300-something chapters, but sooooo many highlights... incredible.
I saved a total 500 shots/pages of Berserk as highlights...
Comparisons: Vagabond 50 (well, honestly, Vagabond is like every page's a highlight, so I only chose the highlight-highlights), Vinland Saga 60, Wolfen Crest 50, Kokou no Hito 80.
 
Last edited:

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Since Vagabond originally was a Novel, he probably could spend a lot more time on arts than usual :)
I don't think it focusses too much on the arts. Now, certainly, it's a lot of fighting and thus a lot of panels beeing "wasted" without progressing the story, but that's lying the genre after all. And it's somewhat of a milestone in arts, that allone is deserving praise :D
Indeed that is the reason it is praised as a manga with excellent art, I don't even have a praising word to say anymore(outstanding, excellent, brilliant, stupendous, amazing, magnificent) see in my opinion such art can be classified as putting each of them as an attribute before it.

Well story a good story is need but sometimes, some manga are good for having good art which in no case can be looked down upon if a manga has good art yet bad story. It depends on the person's opinion. :D
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Artwork is secondary for me, but sometimes it helps a lot. Even if the story was on par with Shakespearian plays, messy and crowded artwork will prevent the message from being conveyed. That's a problem because the author wants the readers to understand what they're trying to get across.

Think of it this way: the story forms the skeleton and the artwork is the muscle (or fat).
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah. I gotta go with Kokou no Hito and Berserk. Berserk's designs on its monsters and all are really amazing.

Here are some good pics from Kokou no Hito:

Eh. I realized those are kinda big, so here are just some direct links:
http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/046.png
http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/214-215.png
http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/182-183.png
http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/048-049.png
http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/112-113.png
http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/142-143.png
http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/164-165.png
http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/000a.png
http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/000a (2).png
http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/198-199.png
 
Last edited:

rudorofu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
104
Reaction score
47
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Tanemura Arina and CLAMP's artworks have always amazed me because of the amount of detailing that went into not the only characters, but also their outfits *o* It's simply beautiful how they design their images. I would read their manga just for to view the work XD
 
Top