Review - Black Clover Chapter Reviews | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Review Black Clover Chapter Reviews

Eiryuu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Black Clover Chapter Reviews
Mangahelpers will be posting chapter reviews for featured manga, Black Clover included, on the forum homepage. Each chapter, the first submitted review will be used. Preferably reviews are to be submitted as soon as possible and before the release of the following chapter. Subsequent reviews will be linked in the published review, and are also to be completed in this thread. Your permission will be sought before your review is published or linked.

The 24 hour spoiler rule does not apply in this thread. However this is for reviews only. Any discussion about reviews can be done in the chapter thread, or the Hangout thread (keep in mind the 24 hour spoiler rule applies in that thread).

Review Standards
  • Minimum 500 words
  • English language. Standard spelling, grammar and punctuation apply - enough so it can be easily read.
  • No emoji, slang, swearing. All forum etiquette rules apply.
  • Refrain from using pictures. A picture may be incorporated should the need arise.

What should be included in the review?

A concise summary of the events within the chapter; and how said events are interconnected with the story. Aspects such as character actions/development, art, tone etc can all be subjects of the review. Any points can be appraised (was it good? was it bad?), though it is expected to be reasonable and/or supported by chapter/manga content. The review should be finished with a concluding paragraph, with some forewords regarding possible future events. Feel free to add/omit any of these recommendations as you see fit, as well as adding your own perspective and character to the review.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Black Clover Chapter 178 Review by Belserion

We pick up from last week where Noelle Silva has defeated the elf Guwain after a hard battle. There’s no time for a respite because the exhausted Noelle has suddenly found herself surrounded by more enemies. She silently acknowledges that her magic power is not enough to take on all of them. One of the elves admits to underestimating humans and launches an attack towards the immobile Solid, who’s still cradling his injured sister Nebra.

Zora suddenly appears, blocking and reflecting the attack meant for the Silva siblings back at the elf who’s badly injured from it. He’s also brought along a royal attendant to help heal the injured siblings. While the attendant heals Nebra, he urges Solid to bring Nozel to him as well. Unfortunately Solid seems to be in shock and refuses to move. This infuriates Zora who proceeds to rebuke him about the fact that his siblings are badly injured whereas he’s barely hurt and will return to being high and mighty when it’s all over. Now for those of us who follow the manga we know the Royal Silva siblings are an arrogant bunch. With the exception of Noelle they take pleasure in looking down on commoners and think their royal blood makes them superior.

Not finished with his rebuke, Zora turns on the injured Nozel as well, asking him if he can’t even protect his own family. This prompts a brief flashback to the time a younger Nozel was instructed by his mother to protect his siblings with the steel magic only he inherited from her. Young Nozel also promises to become the strongest Magic Knight Captain just like his mother is. Back in the present, Zora urges Nozel to prove his bravery if he’s supposedly superior to commoners. Noelle thinks Zora is being too harsh and tries to interrupt his tirade; however Nozel suddenly stands up and admits that Zora is right. He states that if such an attack is enough to bring him to his knees then he doesn’t deserve to be the Silver Eagles captain.

Nozel proceeds to reinforce his body with magic, sealing the stab wounds inflicted on him a few chapters ago. He urges Noelle to prepare to fight, and Zora decides to add his magic to the mix, combining the three. Zora casts Ash Magic: Coward’s Revelation on Noelle and Nozel. This is a magic that tells someone the location of the magic traps he set, admitting that he’s set a lot of them. So as Noelle once again enters the battlefield reinforced with Nozel’s Mercury Magic, she is able to see and avoid Zora’s traps, an advantage he hopes will give them an opening.

Noelle and Nozel manage to hit a few of their opponents when suddenly Noelle casts Sea Dragon’s Roar and Nozel casts Silver Rain. These attacks seemingly miss their opponents, with one of the elves starting to comment on the level of their magic. Before he could finish however, we see Noelle and Nozel were aiming not for the elves but for two of the traps set by Zora, with Zora commenting that from the elves reaction it was obvious they knew nothing about complex counter trap magic. This is a magic he’s been preparing from long months of hard work. A Magic he refers to as Human Magic! The chapter ends with Noelle and Nozel’s attacks hitting their opponents.

Personal Thoughts

I’d rate this chapter 9/10.

I’m glad we got to see Nozel’s resolve. For such a stoic character it was satisfying to see him drop all pretenses and fight side by side, not only with the sister he’s just reconciled with but also with Zora, someone who on a good day he would never acknowledge. I also hope Solid is paying attention. He seemed frozen throughout the chapter. I think it was a bit of a shock to see his beloved older brother taken down like that, but of all the siblings he’s really the only one I see clinging to his disbelief that Noelle could be as strong as she is. I was proud of her for worrying about them and being willing to defend them despite their past. I hope this could be a new beginning for all of them.

This fight seems to be coming to an end so next I think we’ll see what’s happening on the Vermilion end of the castle with Mimosa and Kirsch.

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Black Clover - Chapter 179 Review by Seraph

Overview

Attack on the Vermillion Residence!
  • The Chapter starts with a switch of scene to the Vermillion Residence,where a possesed Alecdora grumbles about being unable to do something about Kirsch's Cherry Blossom Magic with which he created a diversion so the Royals residing within the Mansion can be evacuated without any interference of the Elves.
  • Kirsch starts boasting about having the Locational Advantage,this is where he and Mimosa live.
  • He continues saying that his Magic is perfect for an Evacuation as it provides a safe cover and coupled with Mimosa and En's Magic's is simply outstanding. Mimosa's Plant Magic is used to cover and protect what seems to be furnishings,Kirsch's Cherry Blossom Magic is used to distract the Enemies and En's Fungus Magic is used to spread Spore that can weaken anybody that breathes them in or comes into contact with them.
  • Kirsch claims that no Blood will have to flow like this and that it is a truly beautiful sight to behold. Mimosa tells him to keep quiet so the Elves won't find them.
  • Mimosa silently vows to save her Friends and comrades of the Golden Dawn,as she finishes her thought one of the possesed Golden Dawn Members suddenly appears behind her asking if everything's going well on their end. Mimosa expresses Shock at this.
  • The Elf is revealed to have taken possession of a Magic Knight named David,as Mimosa calls him by his Original Name he quickly brushes it off by saying that his name isn't David but Baval.
  • En expresses shock and disbelief,he wonders how Baval made it through their Magic Defenses of Cherry Blossoms and Fungus Spore. As he does Baval tells him to relax and that there isn't any point in putting up a fight as the Elves are superior to the Magic Knights in all necessary aspects. However he says all this in a really cheerful manner,prompting Mimosa to wonder about his intentions.
The King must die!
  • Baval claims that it's futile to escape him and his comrades as no matter what they do,they will all end up being killed. Especially since another even more Powerful Magic can be felt from right next to the Castle,referring to Licht inside the Gravito Rock Fortress.
  • Baval tells them to surrender and reminds them that putting up a fight is pointless because not only is he himself incredible but his comrades are just as incredible. He expresses happiness at the thought of meeting all his brethren again.
  • Mimosa replies that they won't give up and absolutely won't allow them to harm nor kill anyone.
  • Baval ridicules her by saying it makes little to no difference to him,he informs the Magic Knights that the Elves will technically win this Battle once they kill King Augustus Kira Clover XIII.
  • Baval reveals that they sent a really Powerful and Crazy guy to the King's Location,he continues that said Man won't stop nor give up on his given task no matter who stands in his way and nobody will survive once he uses his Magic.
Langris Vaude
  • The Head of house Vaude is trying to fend off a Spatial Magic Attack but fails as he gets wounded and barely manages to protect the ground beneath his feet,he expresses shock at how Powerful this Spatial Magic is for him to be unable to offset or counter it.
  • The attacker is revealed to be a possesed Langris Vaude.
  • King Augustus starts screaming at Langris for his insolence,not only did he betray his Kingdom but he is also attempting to kill his King. The head of house Vaude and his Wife try reasoning with the King,saying that this has to be some sort of Mistake and that the real Langris would never do something so vile.
  • King Augustus starts grumbling,he expresses frustration and anger at the neglect of the Magic Knights and the Magic Emperor towards their duty.
  • The King reveals his Grimoire and threatens Langris with the Might of his Magic,the King is revealed to possess Light Magic as he uses a Spell called "The Holy Shining Absolute King!".
  • A gigantic brightly shining Figure appears that resembles King Augustus,as he finishes his Spell the King challenges Langris to come and attack him now. He claims his Magic is god given and that Langris should kneel before his Might.
  • However,the King turns out to be all bark and no bite as Langris easily destroys his Magic with a mere flick of his hand. He ridicules the King's Magic for being useless Light Magic.
  • As Langris attempts to attack the King once more he is stopped by Finnes,his promised future wife,she begs him to stop because if he continues with this not only the King but those precious to him will suffer as well.
  • Langris tells her to be quiet and pushes her to the ground,he tries killing Finnes immediatly but this time his Attack gets negated by the arriving Finral.
  • The possesed Langris wonders who managed to negate his Attack,Finral reminds him that he's his Older Brother. Finnes and his Father,the head of house Vaude,express surprise at his arrival.
  • Yami and Jack arrive at the Throne Room and reveal that they knocked out every single Elf inside the Kira House,as he hears this Langris questions just how they managed to do that.
  • Finral uses his Magic to create Portals for Yami and Jack to appear right next to Langris,ready for a swift surprise attack but just as they want to strike Langris Magic instantly fends them off. Destroying one of Jack's Arm Scythes and Yami's Cigarette.
  • Langris challenges the Magic Knight Captains to entertain him more as his Magic won't allow them to attack him at all,Yami and Jack while smiling get ready to fight for their King.
Chapter Rating
I'd rate this Chapter a 7.5 out of 10.

Before giving my rating I factored in what this chapter delivered to me as a Reader and what it contributes to the story, Character Interactions as well as Characterization.

Personal Thought's

This Chapter was pretty good,i expected a switch of scene after Noelle's Fight but i didn't expect to see Yami and Finral again so quickly to be honest.
Since it had been awhile since we saw Yuno,and Zora had just joined Noelle's group before,i wanted to see what Yuno has been up to and how he defeats his Opponents considering that unlike Asta he doesn't have a Sword to just dispel the Reincarnation Magic. But that's my inner Yuno Fanboy speaking probably.

I think this Chapter was setting up an incoming Clash between Mimosa,Kirsch and En against Baval/David and Yami,Jack and Finral vs Langris next Chapter.
I'd like to see Mimosa and Kirsch fight together actually,they're a fun Duo and Kirsch's constant boasting always makes for fun entertainment in my opinion.
Using their 3 Magics to distract the Elves and evacuate the Royals from the Mansion was smart but i'm worried about what Baval said regarding Licht waiting outside for any Escapees. I wonder if we'll see him step onto the Battlefield as well now? I'd like it,if defeating the King means that the Elves win then defeating Licht means the Magic Knights win so we're definitely in for an all deciding Clash sooner or later.

Yami,Jack and Finral has me torn on it to be honest, Yami and Jack should individually be stronger than Langris and only Finral should come up short in a fight to the death but we're talking a boosted Langris here and he didn't even express surprise or shock at their Surprise Attack so maybe he actually can put up a fight against them.
Yami and Jack remind me more and more of Kenpachi Zaraki from Bleach,that smile and brief surprise at Langris Defense gave me those vibes of a really thrilling and action filled fight like back in the day actually. Really hoping this fight will be just that.

~ Seraph

Last edited:

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Black Clover Chapter 180 Review by Emperor Spriggan
This week's chapter starts with a color cover, portraying Jack, Yami, Nozel and Fuegoleon in it. A clear indication of the events that are currently ongoing in the manga, with all 4 of the Captains currently engaged in battle.

On Page 1, we follow up on what happened last week with Finral, Yami and Jack arriving to where Langris was with the King and the Vaude family. Finral's father remarks on how Langris's magic is absurd and there is probably no one else who would be able to cancel out Jack and Yami's attacks like what Langris just did. The defensive abilities of his spatial magic were impressive. At this point, Finral tells Fione and his father to leave the place and leave the rest to them. His dad protests, saying that there is no way someone from the Black Bulls would be able to handle Langris. Finral then retorts saying that whether he was the courier of the Black Bulls, and Langris the Vice Captain of the Golden Dawn, none of that mattered at this point. The fight he was having was as Langris's older brother. Yami appears behind Finral's old man, telling him to not look down on courier boys. He proceeds to throw him through the portal Finral had created. He turns to Fione and tells her she needs to leave too. Before she exited the palace, she told Finral that he needed to come back safely. The Black Bulls member replies he will be with Langris when he sees her again.

The King then says that he also wants to be let out of there. Seeing as his earlier attempt to show his magic failed, there was no more reason for him to linger. Finral makes a portal for him to teleport through, but before the King can get into it, Langris uses his magic to shut down Finral's portal. The two siblings have similar magic types after all, making them the best counters for each other. The younger Vaude brother then says that he needs to shave the King up into smaller pieces, and at this point we see Jack charging up his magic.

He uses an attack named Insane Ripping, firing several slashes at Langris. The attacks slice up the wall behind Langris, none of them even coming close to scratch him. Besides him though, there were two portals activated, and Jack realizes Langris warped the attacks behind him to protect himself. Langris then duly asks whether they were seriously still trying to kill him. At this point, he then activates his magic and tells Jack and the others in the room to learn their place. The spell he fires off at this point is reminiscent to the one he used in the Royal Knights Exam when he was fighting Finral. Yami is surprised at how Langris is able to use so much high level magic at the same time, and the Golden Dawn Vice Captain states if even one of those hit them, they'd be dead.

Finral uses his own Spatial Magic to defend against Langris's attacks, before realizing he can't dodge it all completely. He then shouts at Jack and Yami and tells them they should dodge the attacks he couldn't defend against. Yami retorts, asking him who he thinks he's giving orders. Nonetheless, the Black Bulls Captain uses his Dark Magic to defend against Langris's magic. Jack also uses his magic to evade the attacks, before Yami charges up another Dark Magic attack. He fires it at Langris, the attack named Dark Shrouded Avidya Slash. Langris, alert to the danger, fires off one of his spatial magic attacks and the two magics collide in mid air.

As Yami descends, he realizes that there is no way they can get close to Langris with his level of defensive magic. Finral's magic wasn't strong enough to nullify his younger brother's, so in order to defeat him it needed to be done in an instant. And for that to happen, they needed one more attack, Jack's. The Green Mantis's Captain had the ability to imbue his blades with the properties of whatever he cut. So if he cut Langris's magic, logically speaking, his blades would also acquire the same spatial properties as the magic. Hence making him the perfect counter to Langris's magic in that room. As if also realizing this, Jack slashes through a few of Langris's portals, succeeding at slicing them in half. Langris is shocked, and Yami is elated, referring to Jack as a genius perverted freak.

The two Captains then proceed to attack Langris at the same time with their respective magics, this time Jack using an attack that had similar properties to Langris's magic. Similarly to before however, the Golden Dawn Vice Captain manages to defend against both attacks, and Finral is left shocked. Langris then fires back at the Captains in similar fashion to before. Jack is able to cut through the attacks this time, and Yami is also able to dodge and avoid any damage from landing on him.

Langris thinks to himself how he was shocked that the two Captains were able to break through his defence, but in the end it wasn't enough. They fell short of beating him completely. The two Vaude brothers face off, and Finral seems helpless since his Spatial Magic is inferior to his brother's and there's no way he can attack or defend properly. The Black Bulls member regrets being unable to defeat his opponent, and the strain off facing off against his brother causes him to bleed a little from his mouth. His younger brother prepares to finish him off for good, shouting at him to return to nothingness. At this point, Jack and Yami appear beside Finral, both of them charging at Langris in point blank range. The Golden Dawn Vice Captain realizes that earlier, his older brother had abandoned defending himself in order to teleport his allies to safety. However, it was too late.

The chapter ends with Langris telling his older brother to die, while Finral tells his younger brother that he will save him along with the other Royal Knights.

Final Verdict:
Similar to a majority of chapters for the arc, this chapter was heavily battle focused. Previously we had Noelle as the primary focus, this time it's Finral's. Gotta say, I really like how the author is handling these battles. He doesn't spend too much time on each, giving them adequate pacing and focus and having epic magic clashes. On a smaller note, Langris is one of my favorite characters in the series, and having him back makes me genuinely happy. Yami has always been badass (He isn't exactly one of my favorites, but his battles are epic, no one can deny that). Jack continues to prove that he's Black Clover's version of Nnoitra mixed in with Zaraki Kenpachi.

Overall Chapter rating: 8/10

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Black Clover - Chapter 181 Review by Seraph

Overview

The Chapter starts with Yami and Jack attacking the possessed Langris at once to deal a deciding blow,as they're about to reach him Langris thinks to himself that their combined effort will be in vain as he possesses superior Magic,Skill as well as Speed compared to his Opponents and the only thing they'll achieve will be to die by his hands sooner than he anticipated. Finral lost in thought as well mentions that the People attacking him are not any Ordinary Magic Knights but Magic Knight Captains,with Langris getting ready to guard against their Combo-Attack he ends his thought.

Langris creates a Spatial Orb and aims for Yami who is about to deliver his attack,however to Langris shock Jack slices through the Spatial Orb and even manages to graze his Cheek with his Scythe Magic at an incredible Speed. Yami,with nothing left to stop him,goes in for his own Attack and strikes Langris with his Dark Magic: Dark Shrouded Avidya Reverse Blade Strike!. As Yami connects with his Strike it looks like Langris has lost consciousness with Finral looking on in what seems to be concern for his Brother and yet shock from the Captain's well coordinated Combo Move.

Langris seemingly collapsing gathers his Strength once more and activates his Spatial Magic again,unable to comprehend how "mere" Humans were able to deal such a Blow to him Langris sends 2 Big Spatial Orbs towards the Magic Knights,as they dodge his Attack the Orbs continue to obliterate the Entire Throne Room and with it the Roof of the House of Kira. Langris claims that he will Erase all Humans from existence,his Spatial Orbs are surrounded by what seems to be Dark Mana which is recognized by Yami to be filled with a Sense of Malice and Pure Evil,the Magic Knight Captain questions if there is anything they can do to defend against their Opponents next Attack.

As Yami voiced his worry about the incoming Attack the wounded Finral stands firm replying that there is nothing more left to do as it is already over,with his Brother in a state where he can't remember anything about himself nor his Older Brother there is no chance that he realized said Brothers Magic being activated now either. As Finral remembers a Young Langris telling him about the perks of his Magic the former starts a surprise attack on his own by creating 2 Portals,one next to him and one behind Langris,Finral shoots an Transportation Orb through the Portal to his left and hits Langris through the Gate behind him which results in the latter being transported right in front of Finral who is ready to punch his younger Brother.

As his Fist connects with Langris face,the scene switches to Langris Mind World.
Finral says that despite Langris always being better than him at everything he was much more of a trouble maker than him,as Finral reaches out to his younger Brother he briefly laments his weakness but reassures Langris that said Weakness is the Reason he'll always be close to him even if that means running after him all the time. As the scene goes back to the Real World Langris lies defeated on the ground with Finral collapsing from his wounds pain and probably blood loss. As both Brothers lie next to another their hands touch and they look like they would be shaking hands in an apologetic way.

The scene switches again however this time to the Gravito Rock Fortress,where Patri makes his Arrival.
As Patri arrives he is immediatly greeted by a possessed Gauche who is revealed by Rhya to be possessed by an Elf named Drowa,Gauche's Sister is also revealed to be possessed by an Elf named Ecla. As Rhya concludes greeting his Comrades he is immediatly questioned by Patri about Licht's whereabouts and Condition to which the former replies that it might be because of him having used the Reincarnation Magic but he seems to have lost his Memory and is currently resting.

The Elves start discussing their next move with everyone being back together now,as they do they express their belief in Latri,the Elf who possesed Langris,to have killed the Enemies King and is currently unleashing all sorts of terror onto the Humans of Clover Kingdom.
The only thing left to do for the Elves is for them to insert the Final Magic Stone into the Pedestal that lies within the Castle and they'll be freed of their "Wicked Hearts",which seems to refer to their Hosts Souls still residing within their Bodies and them not being fully reincarnated yet,which Patri refers to as a side effect of the Reincarnation Magic and its one fatal Weakness. Once the Elves fully reincarnate they're going to eradicate Clover Kingdom entirely.

As the Gravito Rock Fortress approaches Clover Castle both Jack and Yami notice the Strong Presences inside the Fortress,Yami wonders where the Black Bulls and the other Magic Knights are at the moment and claims that if they don't show up soon he'll have defeated them all by himself with Jack challengingly replying that he'll rip them apart. The Chapter ends with both Magic Knight Captains getting ready to fight once more for their Kingdom.

Chapter Rating
I'd rate this Chapter a solid 8 out of 10.

Before giving my rating I factored in what this chapter delivered to me as a Reader and what it contributes to the story, Character Interactions as well as Characterization.

Personal Thought's

I really liked this Chapter,less for the action than the Conclusion to the fight. Finral finally managed to save his Brother and if we go by the panel where they hold hands in a reconciling manner it seems to me like once Langris wakes up and is finally himself again he'll have no choice but recognize his Older Brothers Efforts just to save him. I'd like for them both to develop a proper Brotherly relationship now,both were more or less at odds with another just because they had to show results and got forced into competing with another through their Parents marrying one of them off to Finesse. A relative of the King.

The overall fight was alright,decent action panels and impressive displays of both Yami's and Jack's Magics and Skills. Dialogue wasn't really outstanding but it doesn't have to be in a fight for Survival and saving their Friends,the entire Arc has been heavily battle focused so far and this Chapter was no exception of that either yet i'm loving it as the previous and this recent bout managed to develop and furtherly flesh out the involved Characters,be it the Silva Family or the House of Vaude the Author comes true to our wishes for them from before and isn't forgetting about any of them. Definitely the biggest + Point for Black Clover for me at this Point apart from the Story itself being loveable as sin. I expect a switch of scene to either Yuno or Asta and the Black Bulls,personally would prefer the former but expect the latter to come true actually since i believe that Yuno will be some sort of a Surprise Factor as the Final Battle goes down before us. I doubt we'll see him before Asta and Co. but i'd be open for it.

Looking forward to the next Chapter as always and see you next Time!
~ Seraph

Last edited:

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Black Clover Chapter 182 Review by Belserion

Chapter Title: The Followers of Sephirah

The chapter begins with Rhya greeting newly reincarnated Fana and Vetto. After reminiscing about the last time the two were reincarnated, Rhya proceeds to explain that this time around he only had time to clone and reincarnate them up to the age of 15 years with the exact same mana thanks to Sally who unfortunately is deceased.

Fana mentions that unlike last time she has all her memories intact and her mind is clearer, but notices to her dismay that Salamander, the spirit of fire, is no longer with her. Rhya is surprised by this but guesses that while Fana’s soul was gone Salamander found a new candidate to bond with. We will remember a few chapters ago this was confirmed as Salamander chose Fuegoleon Vermilion as its new partner. Rhya reassures Fana that even without Salamander she’s plenty strong. Fana agrees with this and confidently states that at the very least she wouldn’t lose to a human.

Elsewhere, a possessed Klaus stares at the floating heavenly tower and states that it’s time for the fabricated Royal Capital humans created to come to an end.

On top of the tower, the followers of Sephirah have gathered. They stand in some sort of formation on top of a magic circle. Some of the followers consist of the captains Dorothy and Rill, Gauche from the Black Bulls, Rhya, Fana and Vetto. Rhya and Patri stare at Licht, who stares ahead blankly. Rhya reassures Patri that even though Licht looks vacant he’s in there somewhere and would return to himself when the reincarnation is complete.

One of the elves asks about Yuno, but Rhya explains that he managed to retain his personality despite the fact that he was supposed to be reincarnated. This shocks the other elves, but Rhya dismisses their concerns and says he sent someone after him already so it’s fine, they would wait. After basking in the current destruction of the Royal Capital, Rhya calls for them to begin. Using the power of the Gravid Rock they plan to unseal what’s been hidden in the Clover castle and open the Gate to Hell/The Realm of the Dead. Here we see what appears to be the silhouette of a castle hidden in the shadows of the ruined Clover Castle.

Yami and Jack are stunned as they see this. Noelle, Zora, and Mimosa are also shocked at the sudden appearance of this shadow castle. A possessed David informs Mimosa that a long time ago the elves made a pact with the humans that they would safeguard the magical space that connects the current world to The Realm of the Dead. This space is called The Kingdom of Shadows and only the ten followers of Sephirah who have received revelation from their God are able to open it. Once they put the final magic stone on the pedestal in the castle the reincarnation would be complete and the original owners of the possessed bodies would be sent to hell in exchange. This basically means the elves would have complete control of the bodies they’ve possessed and the residents of Clover Kingdom who have been taken over would be sent permanently to The Realm of the Dead.

Kirsch exclaims that he’s too beautiful to allow such a thing, and launches a cherry blossom attack at the possessed David. David counters by rolling his Dice Magic, this magic lets him produce an effect proportional to the amount he rolls which in this instance is a 2. Even so, Mimosa comments that the effect was too strong for having rolled just a 2, which shows the difference in power between elves and humans since she would have only seen this magic at work when used by human David. The possessed David tells them it was useless for them to try but taunts them that they should keep at it as he flies away.

Jack wonders why there is a magic dimension spreading, to which Yami replies that he doesn’t know what’s going on but they can’t allow it to get bigger. Jack is excited and wants to take a look but Klaus suddenly appears before them with a group of possessed angel looking elves, stating they would not let them interfere with or hinder the Followers of Sephirah. While Jack is ready to fight Yami cautions him saying that without Finral they would have a tough time with that many opponents.

Noelle and Zora are also dealing with an onslaught of enemies, with Zora venting his frustration that they just kept on coming. While Noelle wonders what they could do, the Black Bulls base suddenly appears in the midst of the enemy, with Asta and the other members joining the fray. The decisive battle is about to begin.

Personal Thoughts:

I’d rate this chapter 8/10.

The chapter in a nutshell is basically the Elves not only plan to destroy Clover Kingdom, but after collecting the final stone from Yuno they plan to kill every single person they're in possession of in order to complete their reincarnation. It's a mass murder giving way to mass resurrection. Humans for Elves. That's the big plan and it's up to the Magic Knights to put a stop to this. If Licht is reincarnated completely it's going to be 10 times harder than it is now and it's already an uphill battle for our heroes.

While there wasn’t a lot of action, we at least finally get an explanation as to what the elves are up to. The reincarnation magic is a very dangerous magic and they definitely need to be stopped from obtaining the final stone. Hopefully Yuno is strong enough to fend off who’s been sent after him. Also the fact that Yuno has been able to retain his own personality has been a mystery since it was revealed. I think we’ll be getting some background on who/what Yuno really is. There seems to be some sort of biological connection to the elves.

Next chapter will most likely be the gathering of the human allies. I like the slight foreshadowing of a possible Fana vs. Fuegoleon fight as the two masters of Salamander. Fana seems confident that she can’t be beaten by a human but she doesn’t realize one of their opponents is the new partner of Salamander, so that will be interesting. I’m looking forward to seeing the upcoming match ups. The arrogance of the elves is starting to get annoying so it’ll be nice to see them cut down a bit.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to compliment the artwork this chapter. It was better than usual in my opinion. 10/10 for detail.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Black Clover Chapter 183 Review by Emperor Spriggan
This week's chapter starts with the Black Bulls members arriving at the scene of the battle, each of them arriving at the palace in their mobile base. From Luck to Charmy, all of them make comments that are relatable to their personality. Jack is visibly impressed by the entrance, and Yami shows visible elation at Henry finally showing up.

Noelle asks the members of her guild what kept them so long, and visibly flaunts about her new magic. Asta is in awe of her Valkyrie Dress, and Magna(?) states that they will be the one who protect her now. Inwardly, Noelle reveals she was lonely and scared the whole time without her friends there. Zora is surprised by the size of the base, and the Silva princess says that at that point nothing about the Black Bulls surprised her anymore.

The elves all charge at the base, boasting about how larger numbers would not increase the human's chances of winning. Luck uses his enhanced magic senses to determine what magic attacks the elves were firing at them, before coming up with appropriate counter attacks. The elves immediately regroup and prepare to fire off other magic attacks, but at this point Vanessa steps in. She uses her fate manipulation magic to ensure that the subsequent magic attacks do not hit their targets. Charmy is using her food to replenish the magic supplies of Gordon and Gray. Henry uses the base's mobility to launch a physical attack at the elves, and it connects brilliantly. Yami is proud of his guild members, bragging about them to Jack who jokes about ripping them apart.

Patri is watching all the ongoing from afar, and is visibly annoyed at the Black Bulls meddling in his plans for a second time. The first time they interfered was at the beginning of the series where we fought Yami. The de facto leader of the elves identifies Vanessa as the most annoying one on account of her magic plus her being a witch. An elf known as Rave volunteers to go on ahead to deal with the intruders. An elf behind her wonders whether she'll be alright since she had been asleep for centuries, and Rave reassures him she'll be alright.

Mimosa shows up with two other members and tells Asta and the rest of the Black Bulls that they need to hurry up or else the people possessed by the elves will lose their bodies forever. At this point, the Coral Peacock's Captain shows up in front of everyone there, stunning all of them. She has also fallen victim to the elf take over. This is the first time in the series we will see her in action, so what happens next should be pretty exciting. Immediately, the base of the Black Bulls is rendered unable to move. Henry can still sense the mana from those parts, but they don't exist anywhere. Vanessa, Magna, Luck, Charmy and Sally are also all gone. At this point, Dorothy's magic is explained as possessing the ability to transport other people to a dream world.

Suddenly, the guild base is demolished via one of Patri's attacks, The Imperial Sword of Condemning Light's Storm. Henry is visibly angry, and Asta shouts out Gauche's name. We spot him and Marie watching from beside Patri. The siblings state that they will take care of the rest, and Patri can go on ahead with Licht. In another area, we spot all the Black Bulls members who were whisked away from the base. Dorothy welcomes them to her world, and the chapter ends with thi cliffhanger.

Personal thoughts: First things first, I have to admit. I seriously love Dorothy's character design a lot. Most times before in the series when we saw her she was asleep so it was hard to appreciate her, but what we are seeing of her currently is just...wow. I especially love the detail they have given her eyes. In regards to her magic, I suppose it might be interesting? It reminds me too much of the Infinite Tsukoyomi though, as a Naruto fan. My guess is that we're going to have a group fight to deal with her while Asta and Henry fight Gauche outside. Yami and Jack will probably follow suit after Patri then, but I expect them to lose horribly this time round.

Chapter rating: 7.8/10.

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Black Clover - Chapter 184 Review by Seraph

Chapter Title: Dream World

Last time we saw Dorothy, the possessed Captain of the Coral Peacock,take away some of the Black Bulls as well as Sally. Among the Black Bulls taken away count Luck,Magna,Vanessa and Charmy...a Mix that promises Action,Comedy and amazing teamwork. Can they find a way out of Dorothy's Dream World?Will Magna and Luck turn this Fight into a competition? And exactly how much can Vanessa eat? All this and more in this Week's Black Clover Chapter Review,we'll be breaking down this Chapter until we've got all our answers so let's get right to it shall we?

The Chapter starts with the Black Bulls and Sally wondering about the Dimension they got thrown in by Dorothy,as Luck shows surprise about the most surreal things being shown in this Dream Dimension the possessed Dorothy responds by claiming that everything is possible in this Dream World of hers even the most unthinkable things. This is confirmed as the Bed they were standing on transforms into Magical Tendrills,as the trapped Bulls and Sally express shock at Dorothy's Magical Capabilities the Captain creates a huge Creature similar to a Tapir and as she does she claims that there isn't any hope of Winning against her in this Dimension.

The creature starts an attack by attempting to eat the captured Magic Knights and their ally and for a moment it looks like it succeeded,Dorothy ready to bid her farewells gets surprised as her Opponents appear right in front of her completely unharmed. This is revealed to be Vanessa's doing as she had Rouge activated when the attack hit them,Sally completely in awe of Dorothy's Dream Magic as well as Vanessa's Thread Magic is warned by the latter to stick close with the Bulls as Rouge may protect her from attacks as well but not as efficiently as she would with fellow Black Bulls. As Charmy has Vanessa eat to recover her lost Mana we can see Dorothy calmly analyze the Situation,she notes that this fight won't be easy as the Mana of the Bulls won't run out thanks to Charmy and thanks to Rouge they won't even get hit by any attack of hers.

Magna and Luck take the initiative and start an Attack of their own against the Captain,they release a barrage of Lightning and Fire Orbs against her but to no avail as Dorothy creates 2 Dolls in front of her that counter the Barrage of Fire and Lightning Magic with Earth and Water Magic. Their Elemental Weaknesses. Shocked by the Captain's Counterattack Magna and Luck start questioning if there is any way to defeat her,Vanessa sets them straight as another attack gets released by Dorothy. This time she forms hands made of Rock,Ice and Fire to attack her Opponents,this is again countered by Rouge,realizing this Dorothy starts a continuous attack to exhaust Vanessa's Mana quicker than she can recover it. She creates an entire Ocean filled with Bladed Fish.

The Black Bulls start evading the attacks as good as they can,seemingly finished with her own observations,Sally tells Luck to release a Lightning Attack on the Mass of Water created by Dorothy. Luck uses his Lightning Magic - Thunderclap Collapsing Orbs! against the Mass of Water,resulting in the Water being static charged. Seeing this Sally orders Magna to release a Fire Attack on the Static Water,Magna uses his Fire Magic - Ultimate Explosive Great Magic Fire Ball! and as his attack hits the Water an explosion occurs to the shock of everyone. Saved from the Impact by Rouge once more the Bulls express shock at Sally's Plan,the latter explains that the weakness of the Dream Magic is that while anything can be created it doesn't mean the created Objects are freed from the Laws of Reality furthermore it seems like Dorothy cannot control any of the Magic that her created Objects can use and she cannot manipulate any of the Black Bulls Magics either.

As Dorothy emerges from the Smoke created by the Blast shielded by a Barrier the Bulls wonder how they can manage to defeat her as they need to get out as fast as they can. Dorothy tells them that it is already too late,as she does Charmy starts feeling tired and not just her but Vanessa as well as the other Magic Knights start feeling tired which is revealed to be a Side Effect of Dorothy's Dream World that causes anybody that falls asleep to die.
As the Bulls try to stay awake Sally mimics glasses on her eyes and asks Dorothy if she knows what those are,giving the Answer herself she yells out that she is wearing Glasses. As she finishes a pair of Glasses appear above her head,seemingly confirming a previous suspicion of hers Sally reveals that there is a trick to escape the Dream World by simply telling Dorothy about an exit,she may not want her Enemies to leave but the mere thought creates multiple Doors for them.

As everybody expresses shock at this Weakness found by Sally the Black Bulls get ready to leave the Dream World to finally defeat Dorothy.

Personal Thoughts:
I pretty much expected Dorothy's Magic to have a Weakness like that,Magic based on the power of Dreams and Imagination are definitely impressive but only at first glance they're also one of the most easy to beat Magics in my opinion. The Bulls working together with Sally was nice,this fight looked like an Uphill Battle for them from the beginning but thanks to Sally they might just manage to beat Dorothy outside of the Dream World by working together. Her Magic may be powerful but once she leaves her Space it's nothing to fear which is actually similar to One Piece's Trafalgar Law and his Devil Fruit Ability that requires him to create a "Room" before he can use any abilities.
I expect the Bulls to leave the Dream World in the next Chapter and possibly deliver a counterattack against Dorothy,i could also see Yami support them then actually. I stopped hoping for Yuno since it seems that we'll see him only when the Clash to decide it all starts,well either then or when he fights his pursuer off. I could also see a switch of scene to Asta and Co. though. Looking forward to it for sure.

I'd rate this Chapter a 7 out of 10.

Last edited:

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Black Clover Chapter 185 Review by Belserion

Chapter Title: A Chance Dream Encounter

We pick up from last chapter where members of the Black Bulls and Sally are trapped in the dream world created by the elf controlling Captain Dorothy’s body. At the end of the previous chapter several doors appeared creating exits from the Dream World. Now, Elf Dorothy has countered the creation of doorways by sealing them with chains, effectively blocking her prisoners from escaping. Magna panics, trying to trick her into creating new exits which doesn’t work. Vanessa is worried because they are being affected more by the Sleep Magic linked to the Dream World, noting that if they don’t escape soon they will die. She mentions that anything should be possible in a dream world, which triggers an idea in Luck.

Luck’s idea is to have the “real” Dorothy defeat the Elf version. Like most mediocre villains, Elf Dorothy states that she doesn’t know what they’re planning but they will never escape her dream world. Magna casts Flame Magic: Timed Duration Explosive Magic Bombs, whose explosion creates a cloud of smoke that hides the Black Bull members. Elf Dorothy scoffs at this and tells them it’s pointless to hide from her in the world she created. She’s shocked when she sees the outline of the Real Dorothy through the smoke. This Dorothy is a doll created from Charmy’s Cotton Magic and Vanessa’s Threads. It’s actually a great plan Luck came up with here. What they did was use the heat and flames from Magna’s magic to obscure the doll, but the fact that the outline was in the shape of the real Dorothy, the Elf version couldn’t stop her imagination from picturing the real Dorothy whose body she currently inhabits. So when she pictured the real Dorothy, the Dream World created her. So now we have two Dorothys.

The real Dorothy is actually a surprise. Contrary to her always sleeping appearance, her personality is cheerful and bright. She reminds me of Sailor Moon. She tells the “kids” to leave it to her since she’s a captain. When they call her out for calling them kids, she declares she’s 27 years old, and Charmy warns her not to steal her older Loli character slot. For some reason I found that whole interaction hilarious. Elf Dorothy interrupts and tries to attack, but Real Dorothy counters and states that she’s finally found an opponent she can share a dream with. This was a bit sad even though it wasn’t presented that way, but having a magic linked to sleep and dreams that keeps you sleeping a lot of the time must get really lonely. Real Dorothy invites Elf Dorothy to have some fun with her, but as usual and with the arrogance of the elves she states that she would never entertain the likes of a human. Real Dorothy doesn’t even care, commenting that it’s getting entertaining now. Her elf counterpart gets annoyed and tells her to shut up. I’m just here wondering where all Elf Dorothy’s big talk suddenly went. It’s like the first rule of war, know your opponent. Why are all these elves bragging about their superiority only to be shocked and made to look like fools when the humans they look down on expose their ignorance?

Anyway, the two go at each other, creating all sorts of creatures in the dream world. One downside of this Dream Magic is that whatever is created in the dream world cannot be erased, even by the one that creates it. So with these two attacking each other with whatever their imagination can come up with, the Dream World is getting overly crowded. Elf Dorothy realizes that the Glamour can’t handle both versions of their dreams, but it’s too late and the Dream World collapses. Real Dorothy cheerfully bids the Black Bulls farewell, tasking them with looking after her body.

After breaking out of the Dream World, Luck acknowledges the high level of Elf Dorothy as an opponent and figures that makes it alright to go full force. Magna and Luck cast Combination Magic: Flaming Lightning Exploding Canon , with Sally stating that while Elf Dorothy’s spell was top level it was ill suited to deal with them since it could not finish them in one blow. This gave them time to come up with a countermeasure. The chapter ends with the combined spell hitting Elf Dorothy.

I’d rate this chapter 7/10

As someone who’s waited a while to see Dorothy in action I was a little disappointed. It’s my own fault for expecting something epic, and in a way it is, but I feel like the weaknesses are too glaring for it to impress me as much as I anticipated. Maybe it has to do with seeing it for the first time being used by a villain. Perhaps if the real Dorothy had demonstrated it, we would have seen it in a better light. Or perhaps it was the sheer idiocy of Elf Dorothy, who fell into the basic villain plot hole of revealing the special characteristics of her magic before the good guys had time to even realize what was happening. When the Dream World is created, anyone trapped in there will eventually succumb to an eternal slumber a.k.a death. The Black Bulls didn’t know that. All they knew was that they were getting sleepier and sleepier. So like any good helpful villain, Elf Dorothy of course explained what was happening to them, which lead to them panicking and working even harder to break out. These guys have always been really good at thinking on their feet. That was my first issue with it. Then we learned that she had to have full concentration because if she didn’t control what she thought, it would be created. That was how they tricked her into creating exits the first time, and Real Dorothy the second time. If that wasn’t bad enough, whatever she creates, she can’t dispel or erase. It stays there. So she only has basic control over the things she creates. This is just my opinion though. Her magic is unique and it was nice meeting the real captain Dorothy for a brief moment.

As for next chapter, I’m not even sure what’s going to happen. Most likely we’ll move on to another fight if the combined attack managed to hit and defeat Elf Dorothy, which it should since the Dream World collapsed and that’s basically the root of her magic. However, as a member of the Followers of Sephira and one of the chosen ones needed for the ritual, I wouldn’t be surprised if she was rescued by Liar or Patri. She wouldn’t be very useful to them if she was out of commission.

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Black Clover - Chapter 186 Review by Seraph

Chapter Title: The Eye in the Mirror

This Chapter starts with a step back in Time as we rewind it to shortly after Dorothy took Magna,Vanessa,Luck,Charmy and Sally into her Dream World.
The remaining Black Bulls are falling towards the ground as their moving Base got destroyed before,Gordon and Grey make sure to cushion their fall as Gordon casts his Poison Magic: Dwelling of the Poison Cloud!. As he casts his Spell a poisonous cloud appears below them,Grey uses her Magic Convert to turn the poison cloud into a mass of cotton to make a safe landing. As the Bull's get back on their feet,Patri leaves to reunite with Licht on top of the Gravito Rock Fortress and tells Droite to take care of the remaining Black Bulls. Droite is the name of the Elf that has taken possession of Gauche's body.

Valtos and Rades go after the Eye of the Midnight Sun by connecting to their Dimension with Valtos Magic,meanwhile Henry falls to the ground as his Mana reserves seem to be exhausted and Charmy isn't around to refuel it for him with her Magic. At the Silva Residence Noelle and Zora watch on as their Comrades made their landing,Noelle's Valkyrie Armor dispells itself as her Mana reserves seem to have run out as well and she experiences sudden exhaustion. Zora tells her that her body needs to get used to the strain of the Magic before she can use it over longer periods of time while lamenting his own lack of Mana and Stamina.

Yami noticing this from the remains of the Kira House screams at the Black Bulls that they have to surpass their limits today,accepting their Captain's Order the Black Bulls prepare to take the possessed Gauche on and tell their Captain to leave the situation at the Castle to them so he can go ahead into the Realm of the Dead. Yami while bickering with Jack makes his way towards the entrance. Gauche tells his also possessed Sister Mary to play some hide and seek with their Enemies,as he creates several Mirrors around the Magic Knights he tells them that no matter how motivated they get they can't save themselves from their incoming defeat.

Gauche and Mary are revealed to have casted a Combination Magic,comparing Gauche's Mirror Magic and Ecra's(The Elf that is possessing Mary) Eye Magic with another to use their Combination Magic: Reflect Iris!. Mary's face appears in all of the mirrors with her Iris glowing thanks to her Magic,all of the Black Bulls as well as Kirsch and Mimosa notice that they cannot move their Bodies anymore nor use their Magic which is revealed to be the effect of the Eye Magic by Gauche. Asta,shaking and sweating,realizes the threat Mary poses for the Magic Knights despite not wielding a Grimoire yet. As he finishes Gauche prepares to defeat all of the Magic Knights at once as he uses 4 of his Mirrors to blast them with their Magical Beams.

Asta refusing to fall while being unable to move manages to break free of the binding thanks to his Demonslayer Sword negating the Magic,but not just on him,as Asta breaks free the Sword emits Dark Anti Magic towards Gordon and Grey immediatly dispelling the binding on them as well. Recognizing Asta's Sword to be Licht's Gauche starts his attack while telling Asta to die,according to him the Sword is far beyond someone like Asta so he should just give it back. Preparing to counter Gauche,Grey throws some debris into the air while transforming it into more Mirrors with her Magic Convert. Throwing some of the Beams of their initial trajectory Gordon uses his Poison Magic: Verbotene Frucht! as Henry is about to be hit by a stray magic beam Grey throws a rock in front of him to take the attack.

Asta taking his Anti Magic Broadsword out reflects an incoming magic beam back towards Gauche using the additional Mirrors created by Grey and even manages to graze Gauche,acknowledging his Comrades magic to be very powerful Asta notes that he won't lose to it no matter how much stronger it has become. The Black Bulls reminiscence about the Original Gauche's bad habits,be it his manner of talking or his constant swooning over his Sister,concluding that the real Gauche may not be the ideal or normal Magic Knight he is still their comrade of the Black Bulls. Hearing this Droite/Gauche acknowledges their Efforts but claims that they'll be in vain as he and Ecra/Mary have yet to reveal "That"!

Personal Thoughts
This Chapter really went along with my expectations once again,It was clear that we'd either get the conclusion to the Bulls vs Dorothy fight or move onto another Battle,what i did not see coming is that we'd go back a bit in time but i guess like this it'll make sense that when the other Bulls come out of the Dimension that nobody stops them from their attack since i expect Asta and Co. to defeat the possessed Gauche here and now.
It's surprising that little Marie can use Magic without having a Grimoire but i guess this proves the stronger connection to Mana of the Elves,and she used Eye Magic went well with the Mirror Magic of Gauche and it reminds a bit of the Gorgon Eyes that turn you to stone after looking into them while Marie's just makes you unable to move. Asta already demonstrated how he plans on beating Gauche i think,knocking back the Lasers and close the distance step by step to one slash him with the new Sword to dispel the Reincarnation Magic so i'm currently not expecting all too much of this fight to be honest but we'll see how it goes. It was a bit disappointing that we only got 14/15 pages this time but i'll take it for what it's worth.

I'd rate this Chapter a 6.5/7 out of 10, Until next time everybody!

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Black Clover Chapter 187 Review by Belserion

Chapter Title: Battle Between Heaven and Earth

Last chapter ended with the possessed Gauche gearing up for an attack. Now, he once again aligns his mirrors around Asta and the other Black Bulls, who tell him they already know how to deal with that spell. A mirror suddenly appears in front of Asta, and he finds himself being transported through different mirrors, similar to what Gauche does when he’s dodging attacks. The possessed Gauche realizes that with Licht’s demon slaying sword, which can sever the fate of all those around, Asta will prove to be a problem since he can negate Ecra’s spell, therefore they have to get rid of him first. Once more surrounded by mirrors, Ecra urges Asta to look at her, which he refuses to do. Gauche asks him if he can defend himself with his eyes closed, to which Asta replies he can defend himself by instinct, proving this by deflecting the attack Gauche had launched at him. Gauche is unphased and launches another attack, this one with multiple beams, making it difficult for Asta to counter.

The Black Bulls base suddenly appears below Asta, shielding him from the onslaught of Gauche’s attack but it is destroyed in the process. Asta shocks Gauche by suddenly reappearing from the wreckage in his partial demon form. Asta uses his speed to break all the surrounding mirrors before appearing in front of a surprised Gauche. His surprise doesn’t last long and he reveals a mirror in his left eye. Asta makes the mistake of looking into his eye and is caught in Ecra’s spell that binds him. He realizes he won’t be able to escape in time to avoid the attack that Gauche suddenly launches at him.

Out of the blue, Asta’s teammates arrive just in time to help him. Gordon launches Poison Magic: Violetter Schirm (Violet Umbrella) and Grey uses Magic Convert: Poison > Mirror to transform the umbrella into a mirror that reflects Gauche’s attack back towards the original mirror and shatters it. Asta thanks his teammates, with Gauche reluctantly impressed with their teamwork.

Henry laments that the current Gauche is on another level of strength but Asta, Grey and Gordon might be able to handle him. Henry thinks he also can still fight and vows that no matter what happens to him, he will save Gauche.

Personal Thoughts

I’d rate the chapter 8/10

It was a relatively short chapter this time, more action than dialogue. It’s always nice to see a team effort in battle. Gauche has a very unique magic so the showcase is always above average. I’m not sure how they plan to reach him, tbh I expected Asta to just whip out his new sword and free him. Marie is Gauche’s Achilles heel and since she’s possessed too, I look forward to seeing how they appeal to him.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Black Clover Chapter 188 Review by Emperor Spriggan
The latest issue of Black Clover starts with a POV on Henry. Other mages rely on enhancing their own bodies with magic in order to be able to fight, but it's different with Henry. His body is naturally crippled, so he uses magic to retain his natural body functions. He was born into a royal family (Was this necessary? It feels like everyone who gets a backstory these days has to be secret royalty or something similar). Being born with his condition, he was not accepted by his family since they thought he would bring shame on them.

In order to conceal the fact of their deformed child, his family decided to give him the mana reserves from one house in the middle of the forest. That was to keep the victims from Henry's mana depleting condition to a minimum. At some point later on, Henry ended up joining the Black Bulls. This of course led to him meeting his teammates, who he thanks his life for. Charging at Gauche, who is one of the comrades, he vows to save him.

Asta is still in his jet black form, and Gauche realizes it works by chasing after powerful magic. The elf immediately uses his magic to release several mirrors to surround the area around where him and Asta are. This plan works perfectly, since Asta starts darting around the area aimlessly and is able to hit Gauche directly with his sword. Gauche and Marie combine to produce a large mirror, that projects Marie's eye over the entirety of the batlefield. Much like how the Infinite Tsukoyomi in Naruto worked.

This causes the Black Bulls members to retreat back into the base in order to avoid the effects of Marie's ocular powers. Asta muses that he can only use the black form one more time, but he won't be able to maintain it for an extended period of time. Gauche uses his power to encase the base into one of his mirrors, something which means Marie's powers can now work on the people inside it. Have to admit, I do like how clever and creative he is being with his powers.

The Black Bulls try to escape using their base, but Gauche stops them. Immediately, Henry gets out of the base and wants to buy time for the others to escape by taking Gauche on head on. Henry intends on sacrificing himself to stop the elf.

To this effect, he immediately starts sucking away elf Gauche's magic using his body condition. Since Marie's magic would register Henry's magic as Gauche's, that of course means that her ocular powers would have no effect on Henry. The elf immediately realizes what Henry is doing but he says that his mana pool is too large to be affected by Henry's powers. Henry is unfazed by this, saying that the others would take advantage of the opening he created to take down Gauche and Marie.

Asta shouts to Henry that he wont let him die, and afterwards we get a short flashback of how the two met. Asta reassures him that since he has no magic Henry's condition won't really affect him. This makes Henry emotional and he immediately regrets his earlier decision, desiring to live on with his friends. The fact that this took only a page is honestly frustrating and cheap writing. It was obvious Henry wouldn't die but there was no need for the fake bait with teasing his death.

Gordon uses his poison magic to dissolve the mirrors encasing the base. Asta then lunges at Marie and Gauche, while Gray uses transformation magic to save Henry. The main character says that he also wont let Gauche and Marie die as his sword connects with both siblings.

Personal view: Honestly, for a while now i've felt as if the quality of this arc has stagnated considerably. The arc has been dragged out too much at this point honestly, and as such the quality has suffered. Not to mention the constant focus on the Black Bulls which is the least interesting part of the arc. The initial focus on Luck was fine, but imo all the possessed members should have just been saved there. There was really no need to split it into segments. Henry's introduction wasn't really needed in the story imo. This chapter just proves that further.

Chapter rating: 5/10.

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Black Clover - Chapter 189 Review by Seraph

Chapter Title: A Trustworthy Human

The Chapter starts with an inner monologue of Gauche,he questions wether Humans can be trusted or not to which he concludes that they can't since Humans may be able to get close with others and form bonds but at the end of it all they still trust into themselves the most. That's why many can betray each other so easily. He,Gauche,is no different from that since as long as it means for Marie and him to be happy together he'd be willing to do anything. No matter what it is or what it takes. The Base of the Black Bulls appears in his inner world and he repeats his resolve...he'll do anything...

Back in the Present,Asta while in Black Form managed to strike both Gauche and Marie with his Demon Slayer Sword, Gauche visibly angered from the Blow is pushed back from the force behind the strike. Noelle,Kirsch,Mimosa and Zora look on as their possessed Comrade falls to the ground with his also possessed Sister,as they land Asta leaves his Black Form and readies himself to break the Reincarnation Magic cast upon his fellow Magic Knight. Droite,the Elf possessing Gauche,appears to be in shock as he laments that a mere Human was able to overcome him. A Flashback starts to when the Humans from the past betrayed the Elves.

The Elves were caught by surprise as the Humans used a Powerful Magical Artifact to seal away their Mana effectively rendering them helpless while at the same time taking away their Magical Powers for themselves to become more powerful. Multiple individuals of Royal heritage appear to be standing on a not too far away rock looking down on the Elves as the Magic enters their bodies,they celebrate that the Elves Magic is finally their own and that only Human Royalty should have access to powerful Magical Abilities. It is wishful thinking to say that beings like the Elves could Co-exist with Humans of their Class,claiming themselves to be the Gods of the Lands.

A Human Princess carrying an Elves Child is mentioned as well,i'm sure this will get further relevance later on in the story.
Recalling these Events,Droite laments his fate and angrily wonders how the Humans could've been so cruel towards them just for their own selfish desires of becoming more Powerful than they are meant to be. They laughed and ridiculed them as they suffered and cried in anger and fear for their lives,Droite was left unable to comprehend what drove the Humans to do something so evil and cruel to them. He will never forgive them,unless he destroyed everything they care about he would never feel complete again.

As he finishes thinking about his anger towards the Humans of the Past he realizes that the Humans of the Present right in front of him aren't the same as their predecessors,he apologizes to his comrades and finishes his monologue. He warns Asta to dispel the Magic cast on them quickly before his anger and rage towards the Humans boils up again and he'll start destroying things. He continues by apologizing to Ecra,the Elf that possessed Marie,who replies that she's fine with whatever is going to happen as long as she can stay by his gentle side forever. Asta steps towards them ready to dispel the Magic,but before he does he apologizes to them for ending their Dreams and Ambitions right here but he'll be taking his Friends back.

As the Demon Slayer Swords touches his Body Droite realizes that it really can dispel the Reincarnation Magic cast on him and his comrades,he wonders why Licht's Sword would have an ability like that if they were planning to be together forever. Making peace with his fate Droite apologizes to Patri and Rhya for letting them down but he thinks it's for the better to let him die and rest in peace,as he finishes the marks on his hosts face start to fade away.
Droite tells Asta that he posseses quite the convenient power,a power able to make everything disappear as if it never happened in the first place,however he continues by warning Asta of the consequences that go along with such a Power. Telling him to engrave this picture onto his heart.

Asta responds to the fading Elf that he'll never forget him and his friends as well as what they fought for,shortly after Gauche comes back to his senses and awakes to Grey and Gordon's faces resulting in him backing of frightened. Marie having also awoken starts crying,because she is relieved nobody got seriously hurt by them to which Asta responds that he is glad that she and Gauche are safe as well. Gauche questions if Asta really means all that when the Bulls base got destroyed and he could've died just because he wanted to save someone else when he should just be fine with his own safety not being endangered. He continues telling Asta that he never trusted him or any of the Bulls the entire time,nor did he care for their safety. He joined the Black Bulls to protect and care for Marie.

As Gauche mentions that they should've left someone like him behind his fellow Black Bulls ridicule him for saying such things,since they already knew all that from the beginning. They ask him to look at them and tell them what he really wants to say to them right now,Marie urges him to follow their wish and Gauche who seemingly wiped away a tear or two responds accordingly. He looks at his Comrades and thanks them for saving him and Marie,right after Asta,Gordon and Grey jump right at him for a group hug. But just as they celebrate their friends return the Black Bulls that were trapped in the Dream Dimension appear above them which means the entire Black Bulls are back together as Noelle and Zora arrive as well.

The Black Bulls ready themselves to join their Captain in the other Dimension in his Fight against the Followers of Sepirah,but before they leave they'll replenish their Stamina and Mana with Charmy's help. Meanwhile Finral seemingly regained his consciousness as he mentions that he missed out on joining in on something fun.

Personal Thoughts

I'm glad that we finally wrapped up the fights between the Black Bulls and their Elf adversaries to be honest,so far it felt like the Arc was being dragged out a bit here and there as we got the revelation of another dimension kept at Clover Castle but instead of everybody joining Yami and fighting an all out battle against the Elves we remained in the Real World and had them fight it out among their Fellow Black Bulls mostly. I didn't really like that,especially after seeing that a possessed Dorothy pretty much showcased that her Magic isn't all that impressive even with Elf Boost but i also felt let down to see her Magic being shown when she was "boosted" instead of in her normal state first. But it seems things will go up again now,as everybody will get ready to enter the other dimension we might finally see Yuno again or move to Yami and Jack's side to observe their Battle and who knows maybe get some focus and attention on the Child mentioned in this Chapter. Honestly that has me hyped at the moment,i love Flashbacks,Background infos as long as they promise story development or character development. We'll see.

I rate this Chapter a 7 out of 10,till next time everybody!

Last edited:

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Black Clover Chapter 190 Review by Belserion

Chapter Title: Let’s Go

The chapter begins with former Violet Orca Captain Gueldre and former Violet Orca member Revchi gazing at the shadow Palace. While Gueldre admits he didn’t think it actually existed, he’s not sure of his next move considering it’s rumored that the Shadow Palace contains magical artifacts and treasures. If it’s one thing we can always count on it’s Gueldre’s greed to lead him.

As the Black Bulls, along with Sally and Mimosa, reunite, recover from injuries and bicker among themselves, elves suddenly attack from the direction of the Royal Capital hoping to take advantage of their weakened state. Before their attacks can find their targets, Mereoleona and Fuegoleon arrive on the scene to defend their injured comrades. Asta sheds tears of joy upon seeing Fuegoleon has awakened, and the two greet each other with Fuegoleon noting that Asta has gotten stronger. It’s noted that Mereoleona needed at least a day’s rest to recover from the injuries she sustained in an earlier fight but she dismisses that and is ready to rejoin the battle once more. Nozel notes that House Vermillion is back on the battlefield, and like Asta is surprised that Salamander is with Fuegoleon. Nozel and Fuegoleon greet each other with Nozel musing that all the sleep hopefully hasn’t dulled Fuegoleon’s abilities.

Magna points out that the hole is getting smaller. Noelle panics at this and reminds everyone that if the final stone is set in the pedestal the reincarnation of the elves will be complete and the souls of their human comrades would be sent to the underworld.

Kirsch and Zora are at their limit after being confronted by possessed members of the Golden Dawn. Looking on from where they are, Mereoleona notes that they don’t have much time, while Fuegoleon contemplates the numbers against them. Suddenly Vanessa urges the captains to go on ahead, saying that the Black Bulls will hold off the elves from the Golden Dawn. Asta, Mimosa and Noelle are urged to go along with the captains, with Solid surprisingly being the one to send on Noelle. He admits that she’s strong but states that as her older brother he would surpass her one day soon. After saying this he calls her an esteemed member of the House Silva. This is a HUGE admission on his part. I’ll admit to not being as moved as I was when Nozel acknowledged how wrong he was, but it was still a nice moment for Noelle.

Fuegoleon calls for everyone to move out, but the elves decide they’re not about to let that happen. Too bad the Black Bulls block them from going after the captains. The chapter ends with the Vermillion Family on Salamander and The Silva Family with Asta on Nozel’s magic eagle flying towards the hole. We’re about to enter the final round of the fight!

Personal Thoughts

I really liked this chapter. 8/10. I anticipated the reunion between Nozel and Fuegoleon from the moment Fuegoleon awoke from his slumber. These two are as much rivals as Asta and Yuno, and we recall after Fuegoleon had lapsed into a coma, Nozel made it his mission to find the person that attacked his friend. I think that was the moment I started to see more to Nozel than the cold, haughty aristocrat. It’s really good to have Mereoleona back. As one of the strongest Magic Knights her power is definitely needed. Plus I think she has unfinished business with Rhya. At the end of the chapter, the final panel was a close up of Nero, Asta’s bird companion. There has always been an air of mystery surrounding Nero. Where did he come from? Why has he chosen to attach himself to Asta? What exactly is this bird hiding? He hasn’t gone with Asta towards the Shadow Palace, but I still think he has an important role to play in the coming chapters. As for Gueldre and Revchi, I’m sure they’re also on their way to the Palace. How their presence affects the outcome of the battle is something I can’t really predict. Perhaps they atone for past actions, or maybe they’re going for selfish reasons like stealing the treasure, either way I can see them affecting the final battle in some way. I’m really excited for the upcoming chapters as we’ve finally reached the climax of the war.

Last edited:

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Black Clover Chapter 191 Review by Belserion

Chapter Title: Storming the Shadow Palace

The chapter begins with our group entering the hole leading to the shadow Palace. Fuegoleon realizes there’s a trap set to detect intruders. This trap affects their magic to the point where they can’t control it. When Nozel gives a rundown of what the shadow palace is, the border between the living and the dead, Asta panics thinking they’re going to die.

The group enters some sort of portal. When we meet with them again, they’re inside the shadow palace but are separated. Asta and Mimosa are together, Noelle is on her own as are Mereoleona, Fuegoleon and presumably Nozel who we don’t see again this chapter. Mimosa restores Asta’s magic to full power meaning he can even fight in his black form. She then uses her magic to get a layout of the shadow palace, impressing Asta in the process. Mimosa notes that there are several large spaces with elf magic in each of them. Realizing that they are in one of the paths that link the spaces, she tells Asta their group won’t be able to meet again unless they defeat the enemies at each location. As if that wasn’t bad enough, the opponents are the Apostles of Sephira, elves with magic power greater than a magic knight captain. Asta realizes the strongest magic power is coming from the top so it must be the boss, and wonders if it’s Licht.

Asta and Mimosa set out to defeat the enemies in front of them in order to reach their comrades. Suddenly paintings appear in their path, blocking any further advancement. Rill greets them from where he’s sitting on one of the paintings and asks them to help him practice until the final magic stone arrives at the palace. When Asta calls out to him, he corrects him by telling them his name is Lira not Rill. Asta tells Rill to hang on and that he would wake him up right away, but Lira states he’s already wide awake. He loves his Painting Magic as it gives him more range than the Scribble Magic he used before in his elf form. Lira goes on to hold true to form and reiterates what every single elf has been saying since this war began, that they would create a new world once they’ve erased humans. I mean by now I think we all get what the elves are trying to do as they never fail to remind us of their anti human agenda. Asta simply smiles while acknowledging freeing Rill won’t be as easy as he’d hoped.

We switch scenes to Noelle, who’s annoyed that she’s all alone. Fana appears behind her offering to play with her if she’s that lonely. She warns Noelle it won’t be for long, signaling her overconfidence that she’ll dispatch Noelle with no problem.

Next up is Mereoleona who faces off with Vetto. He compliments her on her mana, stating that even as a human it’s interesting. Mereoleona scolds him on his lack of manners and promises to discipline him. Vetto takes exception to this and says that while he might be young he’s not an animal she can train.

Finally we switch to Fuegoleon, who is shocked and a bit sad to be facing off against Lord Kaiser, the Kingdom’s ultimate shield. Possessed Lord Kaiser laughs and tells him not to hold back because they don’t know each other. Fuegoleon agrees and states that holding back would be rude, signaling his respect for his fellow captain and opponent.

I’d rate this chapter 8/10. While it was mostly a set up chapter, the anticipation added a lot of excitement to it. Rill is a very strong captain, practically a prodigy if we look at his age and rank. His Paint Magic is very unique and the glimpses we saw before was filled with unimaginable potential. He was always nice to Asta and accepted him when most of the other Magic Knights shunned him for his lowly birth and lack of magic. Asta values his friendship so I expect him to push himself to his limit if he has to in order to free Rill.

Then there’s Nozel, or should I say a lack of Nozel, that leaves me questioning what’s going on. Did the manga run out of panel time that we didn’t even get a glimpse of him and his opponent, or was it a deliberate move to keep us guessing? One thing we know for sure is that he’s fighting alone, so while it was nice to see him and Noelle working together before, it will be even better seeing him fight by himself. This man is Fuegoleon’s rival, and we know Fuegoleon just acquired Salamander so that’s a massive boost to his power. I’m hoping Nozel has some sort of trump card that will keep him in the conversation for possible Magic Emperor Selection. House Vermilion has been really impressive so far, and other than Noelle, House Silva has been sorely lacking. So I’m hoping this is an opportunity for them to show off a bit.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Black Clover Chapter 192 Review
The chapter title is 'Two Crimson Fists', alluding to both Fuegoleon and Mereleona.

This week's chapter starts with Fuego facing off against his opponent, who he identifies as Ser Kaiser (This name is kinda funny to me, since it has been used in Gintama before). Kaiser's wife is in the royal capital waiting for him, so Fuego vows that he will bring him back alive.

Using Salamander, he unleashes a magic attack at Kaiser. The attack fails to connect, because of Kaiser's Vortex Magic. By definition, it is magic that uses his mana to wash away the enemy's spells. Amplified by being an elf now, that means spirit attacks won't work on him. Kaiser expands the range of his Vortex Magic. Fuegoleon has his Mana skin on, but he still takes damage.

We switch to another area, where we have Mereleona engaged in a heated battle with Vetto. It's a physical battle, with both of them battering each other into the ground with as much force as possible. Both of them acknowledge each other as the strongest opponents they have ever come across. It is much like the fight between Zaraki Kenpachi and Nnoitra Jiruga from Bleach. Mereleona states that she had not felt that way in a battle ever since she fought her brother. On the other end of the battle ground, Fuego also states that Kaiser reminded him of how he felt when facing Mereleona in the past.

A short flashback follows with the two siblings when they were younger. Fuego says that he admired his sister and wanted to be like her, but there were times when she annoyed him with some of her more unlikeable traits. One of the members in the Vermillion household once stated that Mereleona was a genius and would only grow stronger and stronger due to that. It was something that made Fuego slightly jealous of her.

Once he had gotten wind of the fact that she wasn't planning on joining the Crimson Lions, Fuego confronted his sister. She stated that becoming a Magic Knight would make her life boring, and she wanted to have an adventure in all the Grand Magic Zones. Ironically, when Fuego was injured earlier in the series Mereleona did temporarily take charge of his guild. He asks Mereleona to be her training partner, and the two engage in a fight that ends up devastating the whole place.

Back to the present, Vetto states that if he beats Mereleona, that meant everyone else in the place with them would be easy pickings. A statement echoed by Kaiser in his fight with Fuegoleon. The two Vermillion siblings denounce these statements, acknowledging each other as the far stronger human. It does make for a cool panel, as they manage to fight back against their adversaries. The chapter ends with the elves being soundly beaten back.

Personal opinion: A short chapter this time, but quite action packed. The first of the fights to go from the face offs we had last week was between Mereleona and Fuegoleon. Personally, I do hope this is the end of this fight, mostly because the pacing of this arc has been abysmal for a long while now. Far too much time is being taken on these elven fights, and not enough time is being allocated for plot progression. Something I feel is making the arc's quality suffer as a whole now. If all the other fights following this take a short time to get resolved, that would be for the best of the series's overall quality. The best part of this chapter was the flashback involving chibi Fuego and Mereleona, easily. I'm not a fan of both characters, but it was nice to get insight into their dynamics as siblings.

Chapter rating: 7.5/10

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Black Clover - Chapter 193 Review by Seraph

Chapter Title: The Final Visitor

This Week's Chapter kicks things off intensively by Noelle,having entered her Valkyrie Dress once more,eagerly attacking the reincarnated Fana. Aware of the fact that she cannot sustain her new Form for too long Noelle keeps attacking the Elf while acknowledging her opponents incredible Mana as well as the Hatred she harbors towards humans. She recalls the Black Bulls fight with Vetto at the Seabed Temple where she used to worry about putting her everything into each Attack because her control wasn't nearly as good as it is now. Acknowledging her own Growth and her opponents threat level Noelle goes onto the Offensive once more,she says that she won't have to worry about holding back this time. Noelle uses her Water Creation Magic: Water Dragon's Howl! and lands a direct hit,shockingly realizing that she blew her Opponents complete Torso off Noelle starts apologizing to Fana.

However,her apology is cut short as her Opponent immediatly regenerates her upper half with her Flame Healing Magic: Phoenix Raiment!. Fana praises Noelle's attack for it's incredible Force,she starts lamenting her lack of Clothing again as she is left topless after Noelle's attack. Noelle looks on in shock and despair as Fana explains that thanks to them having used the Forbidden Magic and entering the Palace they are now able to use even the most unbelievable Spells with their Mana,Noelle is left wondering how she is supposed to defeat Fana with a Spell like that up her sleeve but her thought is cut off as Fana announces that she's gotten tired of dying and readies herself for a Counter attack against Noelle. The Scene changes to Asta and Mimosa's fight against Rill. The former is slowly getting cornered as more and more painting Soldiers attack him and he is forced to be on the defensive.

Asta wonders how he's supposed to reach the possessed Captain if he doesn't even have the time to enter his Black Form,Rill,who is seen painting another Monster to attack Asta wonders how the Magic Knight is still alive and sends an attack Mimosa's way this time who is barely able to dodge it. Asta intercepts another attack and fails to defend properly,as Mimosa attempts to heal him he tells her that he can't stay still too long otherwise they'll run him over. He tells her to climb onto his shoulders,now that things have come to this they have to Fuse! Now Asta can fight and still benefit from her Recovery Magic even while moving,our Main Character readies himself to face off with an Entire Army of freshly painted Monsters. The scene switches again,this time to the Black Bulls that stayed behind to stop the possessed Golden Dawn Members. They are quickly aided by the arrival of the one and only: Yuno!

Yuno reveals that he has expanded his Mana Zone and created paths to all the Magic Knights that are currently fighting,he asks them for support as he borrows their Mana to start a Full Power Long Distance Attack resulting in all the Golden Dawn members defeat as they fall to the ground unconscious.
Asta's rival has entered his Spirit Dive to enhance his Magics Power to the limit,earning him shock and awe by the Magic Knights around him,he is quickly met by Charmy offering him Food to replenish his Mana and as he eats Charmy updates him on the situation. As he learns that his rival has already entered the other Dimension he sets off to enter it as well,his Magic Stone starts shining and opens a small entrance for him to enter the Space as well. Charmy tags along and even Nero tried entering the Space but he is left dumbfounded as they entered it without him. What is his connection to this Place?

As they enter the Space Yuno and Charmy are separated again by the "selection" of the Dimension,Charmy unable to understand where Yuno has gone off to finds herself looking at a scene straight out of hell for her as Asta is facing off with Multiple Giant sized Monsters painted by Rill. The Chapter ends with Asta calling out to his fellow Magic Knight.

Personal Opinion

The Chapter was pretty good,but really short. While we did get to see some of the Elves capabilities i guess it was to showcase that the Followers of Sephira aren't to be taken lightly after all,i dread what comes next as the Magic Knights will inevitably have to surpass their limits and defeat them here and now. Which wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't such a huge Gap in Mana and Magic Powers between them,they are Opponents ranked above Magic Knight Captains in power after all. Them all surpassing this difference would mean they are all Captain calibre,though i guess it stays in balance as long as the Captain's get to power Up in the process as well. I hope we get to see Gueldre and Revchi as well soon,i'm curious what they are up to now and if they are facing off with an Elf as well or just looking for those Artifacts. Nozel needs some spotlight as well,perhaps him coming to Noelle's aid would be nice to see. Yuno coming back was great and long overdue,he'll most likely lose his Stone now though because i think he'll end up at either Licht's or Patri's room. Both incredibly powerful individuals even among the Followers of Sephira. I'd rate this Chapter a 7 out of 10.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Black Clover Chapter 194 Chapter Review by Belserion

Chapter Title: Spite

At the end of last week’s chapter we saw Yuno and Charmy enter the Shadow Palace after Yuno’s stone necklace seemingly opened the way. Now we continue with Charmy having joined Asta and Mimosa who are facing off against Lira, the elf controlling Azure Deer Captain Rill.

After Charmy confirms she was following Yuno when she suddenly appeared there, Asta updates her on the situation. Rill has been painting up a storm, the room they’re in is filled with monsters he created with his Paint Magic. The priority is to stop him.

Meanwhile Lira is having a meltdown. He hates the monsters he’s painting and wants to paint something more beautiful. Of course it’s all the humans fault why he can’t do what he wants. These elves are like a broken record now. Charmy suddenly appears at his side with food. Not sure why she thought it was a good idea to offer the enemy refreshments, because while he looks like Rill she knows what’s going on and he’s obviously possessed. She figures food will cure his grumpiness. Lira knocks the food away and tells her to shut up, saying he would never eat something from a human like her. Charmy interrupts him asking what he did to the food. Now we all know Charmy takes food very seriously so she’s about to be triggered, the huge sheep looming behind her is proof of this. In answer to her question, Lira states that in order to create you must first destroy and vows to destroy humans and everything humans created, just in case we didn’t already know.

Lira unleashes an attack that knocks Charmy and her sheep down. She takes quite a bit of damage, enough for Asta and Mimosa to start panicking. Before they can get to her, they feel an ominous chill in the air. Suddenly a voice asks if it can come out now. This is Charmy’s sheep asking that question. It’s face seems to be cracking down the middle and it now looks slightly demonic. Mimosa notes that the mana coming from Charmy is different than a normal human’s. Charmy’s grimoire begins turning black. Suddenly an adult sized Charmy is standing in front of a giant wolf. Turns out it was the wolf asking to come out. While Asta marvels that Charmy grew up, Lira recognizes what Charmy is. A Human/Dwarf Hybrid. Asta and Mimosa are shocked to hear this, but not more than Charmy herself, who had absolutely no idea she was part Dwarf.

Asta asks about Dwarves, but Mimosa only knows what little she learned from stories told by her grandparents. She tells him that they’re a race separate from the Elves with special skills and abilities. Charmy questions her wolf about the fact that he wasn’t a sheep all this time. When he tells her to shut up because it was a bad time for questions, she’s even more shocked that he can talk. She puts that aside and focuses on what she thinks is more important, the fact that she’s hungry.

Lira is irritated and tells Charmy he will erase her if she gets in his way, despite the fact that her sudden non human or half human status gave him pause. This just cements the whole humanity hatred for the Elves. They don’t have issues with other species, and even hesitate to attack someone who isn’t completely human. So that’s a little splash of gray in their otherwise black and white view. He attacks with more of his paint monsters, but this makes the wolf happy. He encourages Lira to make him plenty to eat since everything is his food. Charmy casts Food Magic: Glutton’s Banquet. Charmy’s wolf and by extension Charmy herself, begin eating everything in front of them. Mimosa and Asta are confused with Asta thinking that Charmy normally uses Cotton Magic. Lira is stunned watching his creations be consumed. He remarks that he’s heard of half breeds who possess two types of magic. Charmy stuns him even more by converting the magic she ate from him into her own mana, not only that but she’s eating more than he can paint. He swears his imagination won’t lose to her appetite but it’s too late. Charmy is still upset about what he did to her food and proceeds to take revenge. She punches through the paint monsters guarding Lira, stating that she’s doing it for the proteins, fats and Carbohydrates he wasted when he threw away her food. He goes into denial that Charmy is actually destroying his creations. She’s using regular punches infused with mana, but their power is unbelievable. The chapter ends with Charmy punching Lira directly, after breaking through his guards.

Phenomenal chapter. I would rate it at 9.5. The art was superb, especially since any chapter that features Rill is bound to be descriptive as he himself is an artist. This chapter introduced us to a new species in the Dwarves. I was surprised by this at first but in retrospect, I shouldn’t have been. This is a series that currently has a war between Elves and Humans. It stands to reason more creatures of lore would show up. I got a very Lord of the Rings vibe when the reveal happened. Humans, Elves and Dwarves. Makes me wonder what’s next. The world building is being done very well.

There was always a hint that Charmy was capable of a lot, we usually saw glimpses of it when someone tried to take her food, so this chapter made me happy. What I love about Black Clover is that it’s very character driven. A reveal like this in any other manga would have gone to one of the main protagonists. Actually it might be something explored with Yuno and/or Asta in the future as they’re suspected to be part Elf. So the fact that Charmy, one of Asta’s teammates and usually used as support, would be given such an exciting plot is commendable. Hopefully it doesn’t stop there. We’re getting a whole arc surrounding the Elves, so maybe in the future we’ll explore the Dwarves and Charmy’s heritage since not only did she not know what she was, but no one else seemed to have any absolute facts about them, only what they remember hearing.

There is also the point about hybrids having two magics. I'm not sure if this applies to all hybrids or a select few, but this now makes me wonder if Yuno, should he be confirmed half Elf, would have dual magics as well. He has wind and the elemental wind spirit, so a second magic might be overkill in my opinion. He's already top tier. This would put him at Magic Emperor tier or higher if possible. Not to mention his transformation when he uses Spirit Dive seems to be incomplete, with half a crown on his head. Not unless that half represents his human side and can only be completed once he taps into the other side of his heritage. But this is where I feel the author will need to be careful. Tabata has handled most of the series splendidly, so i'm sure he has big plans for the upcoming arcs and power levels.

Now as exciting as the chapter was, there is a slight concern and the reason I didn’t give it a full 10. If Charmy wins here, the power scale will be unbelievable. At the end of the day Rill is a captain. Lira possessing him makes him beyond captain level. So for a lower ranking magic knight to not only defeat a captain, but an enhanced captain, would be ridiculous. Even with the power that came with her awakening, she should be captain level at best. Asta and Mimosa are there so I would much prefer if it was a team effort. Yes it would take some of the shine off Charmy, but it would keep things balanced, something I personally would prefer.

Next week I think we’ll switch to another section, possibly Noelle. We didn’t get a definite conclusion to the Vermillion siblings’ fights, so it might be the same here. The fights have definitely stepped up in quality since they entered the Shadow Palace.

Last edited:

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Black Clover - Chapter 195 Review by Seraph

Chapter Title: Complete Change

This Week's Chapter starts out intensely as the possessed Rill seems to have barely taken any damage from the awakened Charmy's direct attack,as Rill taunts Charmy that this won't be enough to satisfy his rage and hatred towards the humans with the latter continuing her attacks. As she continues her barrage of punches she tells Asta and Mimosa to go on ahead as she'll stay behind to continue the battle with the Captain. Meanwhile Noelle continues her struggle against Fana,none of her attacks seems to land so she seems to be out of options. Noelle laments the fact that Asta isn't with her in this battle and is close to giving up as Fana gets attacked all of a sudden,the Attacker turns out to be Jack the Ripper. Noelle didn't expect him to save her and asks him why he had to aid her in battle,hinting that she had hoped for Asta to arrive in time.

Back to Asta and Mimosa,right as they entered the next Chamber they find an unconcious David lying on the ground who is a Member of the Golden Dawn who was possessed by an Elf as we remember. Mimosa wonders who could've been the one to defeat him and as she finishes saying that she notices faint remnants of Mana in the Atmosphere left behind by something that is not Human nor Elf but something else...Concerned by this turn of events she calls on her Flower Guidepost to overview the entire Chambers at once again and is shocked to notice that in the Center Room right below Licht's Chamber is a pedestal like object and that there are at least 3 Elves inside along with a familiar presence to her...Yuno is also in said Room. Asta decides to join Yuno as well and starts running,meanwhile,Yuno is greeted by the Elves that are pleasantly surprised by his presence.

Yuno having already entered his Spirit Dive,is ready to battle whereas his Opponents Patri,Rhya and an Elf named Ronne calmly reflect on Yuno's journey to this Dimension. He defeated Ado and the other Subordinates sent to take his Magic Stone and is now here to face the 3 of them,Rhya mentions that he is truly glad for this turn of events and Patri announces to take the Magic Stone from him right away while Ronne keeps mumbling to himself.
Patri starts his attack with Light Creation Magic: Light Sword of Judgement! which is used by Rhya as well thanks to his Imitation Light Magic, Yuno dodges almost effortlessly with his Mana Zone: Spirit's Silent Dancing! which allowed him to dodge all incoming Light Swords which shocks Patri. Yuno returns the favor by attacking Rhya and Patri with his Mana Zone: Spirit Storm - Double! resulting in 2 massive currents of wind to hit them both.

Rhya is left speechless as he recognizes Yuno's exponential Growth in the time it took him to reach them,his natural ability and innate Talent might even surpass Licht's. Both his Human and his Elf powers have grown massively since their last encounter! Suddenly the Elf named Ronne appears behind him close to taking his Magic Stone away but Yuno reacts quickly enough to outrun his grasp,he realizes that his Opponent does not use High Speed Movements and he wasn't able to notice him entering his Mana Zone either. He was just there. As Yuno tries to outrun him he realizes that his Opponent is able to swap the positions of 2 Physical Objects he's touched,it was not Yuno that moved but his position was swapped with a pebble on the ground and only his Body was swapped but not his Pendant with the Magic Stone.

Yuno warns Ronne that while he does not care about Magic Stones he is going to take that one back because it's his,Rhya praises Ronne for his quick action and notes that there is a reason that he never beat the latter in tag. Ronne smiles and tells Rhya that they will finally be repaid for all their suffering,Rhya immediatly concludes that his old Friend is lying and continues to ask him directly why he lied just now. Patri seemingly unsure of what is going on questions Rhya's behaviour,but Rhya continues. This Time he asks another surprising question,asking Ronne: Who are you?. Neither Yuno nor Patri seem to be following Rhya however as he finishes his question Ronne starts smiling in a very creepy and malicious way and as he does Rhya is dealt a fatal wound through his stomach causing him to collapse with Ronne looking on with his sinister grin...

This Chapter was loaded with hype,8.5/10 for me, If Ronne turns out to be a Demon or perhaps an Elf that is inflicted with the Side Effect of the Reincarnation Magic that we got to witness when Luck was about to lose his mind against Asta,Magna and Vanessa before then it only gets better and better from here on out. Perhaps since it technically brings the Dead back into the Realm of the Living it breaks one of the common and natural taboo's which is to not bring back the Dead no matter how dear they are. They need to be left in Peace otherwise they will return differently as they were remembered. I was suspicious of the Reincarnation Magic anyway,since not only was the Spell forbidden it was also used without all the Magic Stones in their hands so it is incomplete. I wouldn't be surprised if the Elves ended up realizing that they signed their own Death sentence with this Magic,if that isn't the case and this is infact a Demon which i am basing on Mimosa's statement that the Magic is neither Elf nor Human then we're in for an incredible 3-way Battle and the Elves accidentally woke up an even greater Evil than themselves with the Demons that house inside the Palace. There had to be some reason that the Humans were left in charge of protecting the Other Dimension might as well have been the sealed away Demons,there is a lot of potential for the next Arc in this Battle. I can only say that i'm hyped and looking forward to its continuation.

Last edited:

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Black Clover-Chapter 196 Review by Emperor Spriggan
This week's chapter starts with a brief flashback from Liar. He was well aware that the humans never betrayed the Elves. But because he wanted the reincarnation magic to succeed to meet all his deceased friends, he lied to everyone. It was important for the elves to retain their feelings of hatred and disdain towards humans so that his plan would come to fruition. That was the one lie he had ever told in his life.

Back to the present, he collapses to the ground after having a hole blown through his gut. Liar is perplexed as to who downed him. Patri is shocked, and questions why Ronne did that. Ronne responds cryptically and says that the devil resides in the five leaf clover. He adds on that he will finally gain what he should have acquired the day the grimoire of despair was formed.

Using the magic stone he had acquired from Yuno, he summons a black apparition from the ground. Something leaves Ronne's body, and moves to inhabit the black apparition that ascended from the ground. Yuno is shocked at how cold the mana feels, while Licht realizes who the black apparition is moments later.

It's the devil. Okay, that was an unexpected twist. Reaching this part in the chapter did give me mixed feelings, mostly because I thought this whole time that Licht would be the final villain. Introducing the devil reeks of Kaguya in the last Naruto arc all over again. That, plus he looks like a poor man's Ulquiorra Schiffer.

The devil relishes in the fact that this is the first body he has had in centuries. Yuno and Patri are both scared, and the Devil addresses Licht as the one who was chosen by the Grimoire of the Clover. The look of despair on his face is the same one that was on Licht's face all those years ago. He then admits that he was the one who deceived the humans into destroying the elves. He manipulated both the Elves and the Humans into destroying each other, something that shocks Licht.

Patri is enraged, and he sends a barrage of light magic at the Devil. The attack has no effect, since the devil simply sends it right back at Licht. This is similar to the ability Full Counter by Meliodas from the Seven Deadly Sins. Yuno uses Mana Zone to defend Patri from the attack. Explaining afterwards that Patri's body belongs to Captain Vengeance, so he won't let Patri do whatever he wants with it.

Yuno then launches his own attack at the devil, intending on ending the whole feud between Elves and Humans. This time, the Devil uses a vacuum to negate Yuno's attack. He explains that his magic is called Power Word Magic, which means that anything he speaks into existence will come true. Meaning the trick in defeating him lies in rendering him unable to talk? Just a prediction, but that would be pretty neat to see in practice. Yuno is stunned at how strong the devil is, and realizes that he cannot beat him by himself.

At that point, both Asta and Mimosa come barging into the room. Yuno berates Asta for being late, and the chapter caps off there.

Honestly, I am not satisfied with how this chapter developed. Introducing the devil as the actual enemy basically just shifts the blame from one party and heaps all the blame onto someone else. Plus I think it is an incredibly lame way of calling off all the battles that were set up when they entered this fortress. Admittedly the arc had dragged on too far and the fights were growing tiring to read, but still. At least see everything through right to the end. It was a little obvious Yuno would team up with Asta to fight the Devil. But at this point you know Patri will join both of them, and he will probably call all the Elves from their battles to come help out. Ah well, let's see how it turns out. Maybe it won't have such a bad ending after all. 4 chapters left till the landmark 200, hopefully there is a pleasant surprise waiting for us then.

Last edited: