Challenge Attempt - CatzCradle attempts Editing Practice #001! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Challenge Attempt CatzCradle attempts Editing Practice #001!

CatzCradle

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Please feel free to give any critiques or opinions!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Day

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Hi, CatzCradle!

It looks pretty great for starter. Some things I can say: looks like you haven't rotated the page properly; you can see that the page is not really straight yet. And for the top panel, you left the white space above but not bordering the top line. Either put a line or remove the top white part to make it look tidier.

Good luck with future attempts! \o/

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
What size was the original RAW? Because the clean looks very very blurry, which makes the text look very sharp. What you might want to do is give it a little bit of a smart sharpen to help just give a bit more detail to the clean, as the whole image looks very messy as you kinda strain your eyes to make it seem more in focus.

Then again, with some of the older series and their RAWs, they can be at this kind of quality, so try your best and see if you can get your hands on some better ones, the better the original RAW, the better the overall clean. Do you mind uploading the original RAW as well? Allows us to compare what you've done and give you a better critiques as well.

Keep experimenting, and definitely get your hands on some larger scale RAWs as well, keep it up!

CatzCradle

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, CatzCradle!

It looks pretty great for starter. Some things I can say: looks like you haven't rotated the page properly; you can see that the page is not really straight yet. And for the top panel, you left the white space above but not bordering the top line. Either put a line or remove the top white part to make it look tidier.

Good luck with future attempts! \o/
I tried rotating using the 1st black horizontal line, and it told me it was already straight. I guess it was wrong orz
And I totally missed the black line at top, thanks for pointing it out! ;)

What size was the original RAW? Because the clean looks very very blurry, which makes the text look very sharp. What you might want to do is give it a little bit of a smart sharpen to help just give a bit more detail to the clean, as the whole image looks very messy as you kinda strain your eyes to make it seem more in focus.

Then again, with some of the older series and their RAWs, they can be at this kind of quality, so try your best and see if you can get your hands on some better ones, the better the original RAW, the better the overall clean. Do you mind uploading the original RAW as well? Allows us to compare what you've done and give you a better critiques as well.

Keep experimenting, and definitely get your hands on some larger scale RAWs as well, keep it up!
Thanks for your reply! I used the one from here.
I was told to resize the height to 1100 pixels. I thought it was a bit blurry too, but didn't really know how else to do it. @_@ What exactly is 'smart sharpen?'

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Ahh right, I forgot to check through that thread, it's quite outdated, so I might have to do up one with newer RAWs and for topaz as well.

When you're resizing upwards, it stretches the original pixels, which is what happened to your page and why it looks so blurry as well. Smart sharpen should be one of the filters preset into Photoshop, assuming you're using it, which allows you to adjust the amount you sharpen the page rather than using the sharpen filter which sharpens it a certain degree without any form of customization.

CatzCradle

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh I see. Thanks for the tips!

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I was too lazy to finish editing, but here's how this page could easily look like:
There is some detail loss, etc., but, at the very least, the grays look quite nicely.

And as to the page rotation issue - whichever line you'd choose to straighten, others will end up aslant. You could redo the panel lines, but that's just waste of time, IMO.

CatzCradle

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ooh! Thanks! That looks so much better! Did you use smart sharpen or topaz filter?

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I leveled the page, upscaled it to 3600px, used topaz denoise and topaz clean, slightly leveled again (after topaz you always need to slightly level), smart sharpened, downscaled to 1100px + added a pattern for grays, then slightly smart sharpend again, used topaz denoise and leveled. Or something like that.

CatzCradle

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh cool! I'll definitely try that the next time I'm working with smaller raws then! Thank you very much!~ :^_^