Character Analysis: Kisuke Urahara | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Analysis: Kisuke Urahara

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredatorNar

Banned
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I will be doing these analysis on 3 (maybe more) Bleach characters. Including this one, the other analysis will be done on Kaname Tousen and Gin Ichimaru. These analysis are not in-depth fighting analysis as we do not have all the fighting information on these characters yet. This will be a general analysis on their character which will allow me to make an educated prediction on their power and future in the anime. Well, let's start!

Kisuke Urahara aka "Hat and Clogs"

Let's list what we know about Urahara so far:
-He was captain of squad 12 of the Gotei 13
----Therefore, he must have bankai
-He created several useful items:
----Gikongan aka Soul Candy/Artificial Souls
----Tenshintai aka Divine Transfer Body
----Hougyoku aka Orb of Distortion
----Shinigami to Human Gigai
----Battle Decoy Gigai
-He created a technique to bury and retrieve an item from a soul, without harming the soul
-Founded the Soul Society Research Institute
-Has a zanpakuto named Benihime
----Shikai allows strong attack (Cero blast or Hollow equivalent attack)
----Shikai allows strong defense (BLOOD-Mist Shield)

Now let's list the actions he's taken in the manga:
-Keeps a low profile, running a shop and acting weaker than he really is
-Works with several strong fighters
----Ururu - Physically strong but has robot-like reactions
----Jinta - Strong fighter; older than he seems
----Tessai - Physically strong; Strong kido-user
----Yoruichi - Captain-level; Extremely strong, fast; Skillful in kido, hand-to-hand combat and footwork (Until we see her zanpakuto, we are not sure about swordsmanship)
-Created method to achieve bankai in 3 days
-Achieved bankai in 3 days
-Showed clear dominance over the 10th Espada, Yammy, on 2 occasions
-Able to open a portal to the Shinigami world and Hueco Mundo

Okay, now that we got all the information on him so far, let's analyze it. Seeing as he was able to create such useful items and find a Research Institute, we can safely assume he is a highly intelligent person. Most likely he's one of the smartest, if not THE smartest, character in this manga.

-Highly Intelligent

He created the Hougyoku, Soul Candies and Gigais. My assumption is, like Aizen, Urahara was interested in exploring the barriers between Human-Shinigami-Hollows. The soul candy was the human-shinigami relationship. Possibly made after his exile in order to support fighters such as Isshin, Yoruchi and himself. The Battle Gigais are combat tricks he devised. As we said he's very intelligent. The Hougyoku is definitely his exploration into the Hollow-Shinigami barrier. I think he, like Aizen, wanted to further his own power past its limits.

*YES! You read right! I believe, like Aizen, Urahara has mastered all 4 areas of a shinigami and has gone to his limits.*

However, for some reason, he did not like his creation the Hougyoku. It may be because it did something that scared him or Yoruichi convinced him to cease his exploration in such a dangerous matter. Furthermore, just to power to create the Hougyoku shows Urahara's power.
Aizen remarked that in its weakened state, it can only be activated by a Shinigami with the spirit power that is twice the amount of the average captain. How would Aizen know this? From Urahara's research, that's why. How did Urahara know this? Because he has twice the power of the average captain and he is able to awaken it. In addition, he is able to make a fool out of the 10th Espada, Yammy without even taking the fight seriously. He also is able to fend off Yammy's punch with just his shikai. Yammy does not have enough spiritual power to even touch Urahara.

-Highly Intelligent
-Extremely strong spiritual power; Most likely has mastered the 4 arts of a Shinigami

The fighters he is associated with are strong. Ururu, IMO, seems like a creation of his. The way she reacted when the arrancar came to Earth makes me think she is some sort of robot/cyborg who reacts to negative spiritual energy. Jinta may also be a creation. Tessai, as seen, is extremely powerful in kido as he is able to create a lvl. 99 binding spell. Yoruichi, obviously, is shown to be extremely strong (maybe around where Aizen and Urahara are) as she makes Soifon and Byakuya (some of the top captains of the Gotei 13) look foolish. She is able to out-Shunpo Byakuya WITH Ichigo on her back and she trumps Soifon in hand-to-hand combat (as she showed that she has long fused kido with hand-to-hand before Soifon did). Furthermore, as you know, she is able to beat the crap out of Yammy with ease. I believe when Urahara was a captain, Yoruichi was his lieutenant or a fellow captain. When they fled to the living world, I think Tessai followed or Urahara created Tessai along with Jinta and Ururu. This shows that Urahara has built himself a little fraccion.

-Highly Intelligent
-Extremely strong spiritual power; Most likely has mastered the 4 arts of a Shinigami
-Allied with strong fighters

Another point I want to bring up is that he often likes to stay out of battles. When Byakuya and Renji came for Rukia, I'm positive that Urahara could dispatch both Byakuya and Renji with relative ease, yet he chose to stay out and risk Ichigo's life. He also chose not to fight when Grimmjow and his fraccion came to town. However, he did choose to fight when Ulquiorra and Yammy came. I think he is trying to get Ichigo to power up throughout the storyline so Ichigo is prepared for something in particular. Everytime Ichigo is defeated, Ichigo learns something and is able to motivate himself to seek power. Urahara allows this to happen, but steps in the one time where it seems Ichigo would be ultimately killed (or it could be he wanted to intervene because Ichigo was having inner-hollow troubles at the moment).

-Highly Intelligent
-He is indirectly guiding/preparing Ichigo for something

When Urahara and Yoruichi came up against Ulquiorra and Yammy? It seemed that Ulquiorra knew fully who Yoruichi and Urahara were. This could be because Aizen told Ulquiorra of them, but then again, Ulquiorra knew of Urahara and Yoruichi's power AND he knew Yoruichi's personality as he commented on it. How did he know this? It's either a) Yoruichi and Urahara fought Ulquiorra back when he was a hollow or b) Urahara and Yoruichi have past connections with Ulquiorra and/or Aizen.

-Highly Intelligent
-May have past connections with Aizen and Ulquiorra

Lastly, I want to discuss Urahara's zanpakuto. First off, it's shikai has very powerful, yet weird moves. The attack portion is an equivalent to a hollow's cero blast. It's defense is a shield of blood (seems a bit dark). Now, seeing as Urahara has explored the barriers between Shinigami and Hollow before as well as the fact that Ulquiorra seems to know him and Yoruichi (on somewhat of a personal level), this seems fishy. Why does Urahara has a hollow attack and such a dark defense? I think Urahara may have used his creation, the Hyogyoku to cross over his own powers with that of a hollow, but maybe not completely. Yes! I am suggesting that Urahara is part hollow. Furthermore, when speaking of his bankai, he told Renji that his bankai is nothing worth helping someone or lending them power. This leads me to believe it's a pure destructive bankai. Furthermore, since zanpakuto and consequently, bankai, are created from the user's spiritual energy, it probably reflects the user too. So, why would Urahara's bankai be destructive? Is it because part of him is of a destructive hollow? My prediction leans to that.

So in conclusion, I've gathered the following information on Urahara:

-Highly Intelligent
-May have past connections with Aizen and Ulquiorra
-May be part hollow or has achieved hollow powers beyond Arrancar and Vizard.

My prediction based on this information is that Urahara will reveal to be a fighter that is around the fighting level of Aizen, himself. However, I think Urahara's past connections with Aizen may make him hesitate in joining the battles, so Urahara is instead indirectly preparing Ichigo to take down Aizen by becoming stronger.

The best moment in this manga should go as follows -

Last Panel of a future chapter:

Urahara: It cannot be helped. I have to end this quickly...
Urahara: Ban...kai!
*Chapter Ends*

Last edited:

dreamzsai

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Please register to see the content of this post.

LanderZ

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Anikyn

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

samlovesclau

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Last edited:

roxas_strife

Reaction score
Country
United States

Last edited:

IchigoSoul

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Raimaru

Reaction score
Country
Austria

IchigoSoul

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Zeus-Tails

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

radical3113

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Zeus-Tails

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States

radical3113

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Raimaru

Reaction score
Country
Austria

Last edited:

variety927

Reaction score
Country
United States

Neuroff

Reaction score
Country
United States

milmoe

Reaction score
Country
Australia

Raimaru

Reaction score
Country
Austria

Neuroff

Reaction score
Country
United States

Status
Not open for further replies.