Discussion Classic Manga and Mangaka

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Yoshihiro Togashi (Yu Yu Hakusho, Level E, Hunter x Hunter), Takeshi Obata (Hikaru no Go, Death Note, Bakuman), and Takehiko Inoue (Slam Dunk, Vagabond, REAL).
Love them, especially Yu Yu Hakusho, Hikaru no Go, Death Note and Slam Dunk.
I was influenced to read these classics because of watching the anime adaptations of the following series.

Also, i like Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma ½ & Inuyasha.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm waiting till the Manga Editors get going a bit more. Nube is the classic Jump series I most want to read, not sure I want to wait months for one chapter. I'm used to some wait, not the type who needs a chapter a week, but I have my limits.
Nube is a really fun read, having actually owned the tankos for it since college. (got a major part of it at a used book store near NYC when I went up there back when I got manga that way...actually starting to lean towards doing that again now that the scanslation crackdowns are happening) The good news is it's pretty much one shots until a few longer tales near the end(about the end of vol. 23 to the end), but the shorter tales are what gives all the character and developments to allow for the characters to shine through and all the freaky weird stuff that goes on.

Houshin is sensational, give it a try if you haven't yet. Dr. Slump is also great, Toriyama was as good at comedy as he was with action. The humor of One Piece is pure Dr. Slump. I need to read more Adachi, I keep meaning to read Touch but it's buried on my list right now, same with H2. Cross Game was a masterpiece, some of the best storytelling in manga.
I had Touch on my scanslation list of readings until the crackdown and the closing of OneManga, but it's hard for me to really get the mojo to look into getting the tankos or looking it up again. Dr. Slump...well usually if it's in English I'd get the Viz version, but since I heard some of it was censored I may just need to invest in the Japanese version somehow.


Older fans and seinen/shojo/josei fans are used to patience. Most of the series I read are from tankobon scans anyway. Expectations are a bit different for fans primarily into the big series; the big 3, Fairy Tail, etc.
Honestly I sort of consider myself a fan who came in at the tale end of manga/anime being a cult thing prior to the internet revolutionizing it. I got in around the period of Sailor Moon (the DiC dub) in '95 and even then it was all a matter of whatever was out there and whatever you could do to get it, including sci-fi conventions (where I actually got the final Japanese episodes of Sailor Moon R) or little clubs at comic book stores. I guess that explains why I'm both patient on releases as well as more interested in series that are somewhat older or have little exposure or notice in the mainstream. (honestly, Nube I actually discovered in a "sampler tape" of all the openings of shows they had, as well as St. Seiya, YYH, Kenshin, a couple Gundam series and a whole bunch of other stuff...and honestly while I don'ty think I'll ever read some of these, I'm happy for that tape)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Googlez_kin recommended Shuna no Tabi, a Miyazaki manga from the early 80's, which I read yesterday. It really was spectacular, a full color fairy tale about a princes journey to the west in search of mystical grain for his village. It's filled with typical Miyazaki themes about nature, industry, and trying to live in harmony with both. I really enjoyed it, and recommend reading it too.

Anyone dare me to read the entire JoJo's saga? I'm sure it's as great as advertised but that's a lot of reading :cookiestare
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Googlez_kin recommended Shuna no Tabi, a Miyazaki manga from the early 80's, which I read yesterday. It really was spectacular, a full color fairy tale about a princes journey to the west in search of mystical grain for his village. It's filled with typical Miyazaki themes about nature, industry, and trying to live in harmony with both. I really enjoyed it, and recommend reading it too.

Anyone dare me to read the entire JoJo's saga? I'm sure it's as great as advertised but that's a lot of reading :cookiestare
Honestly I've only read pt. 1 so far and a bit of pt. 2. It's really weird but cool at first...but then I haven't hit the Stands yet.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Stands are part 3 right? I've heard that's the big, series changing part. Honestly I've heard it's really good, a friend read the whole thing. I'm a bit intimidated by 101 volumes, the longest series I've read recently was less than 70 chapters. Weird is fine, most people would find my taste weird anyway ;)
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Stands are part 3 right? I've heard that's the big, series changing part. Honestly I've heard it's really good, a friend read the whole thing. I'm a bit intimidated by 101 volumes, the longest series I've read recently was less than 70 chapters. Weird is fine, most people would find my taste weird anyway ;)
Yeah, the Stands are pt. 3. Essentially that's where everyone seems to say it gets "epic" or "good", but I did like some aspects of pt. 1...and pt. 2 was getting good too by the time I stopped reading it. I guess part of my problem is either laziness or just being bugged about JoJo preventing me from continuing on. (not to mention a friend who is trying to retranslate the series due to terrible Chinese scans used for the current scanslations)

Then again I have enough on my plate in getting back to KochiKame (I still want to but I've just been so busy with life and other manga)
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Two more classics!

The influence of Captain Tsubasa (Takahashi Yoichi) around the world is huge. Manga wasn't as popular or accessible in the '80s, but the series influenced quite a number of well-known football/soccer players. Even Zidane was inspired to play soccer from the series!

For something completely different, there's Golgo 13 (Saito Takao). It first ran in 1969 and it's still going on. It's a classic but at the same time, it's also modern. There are 148 volumes released so far.
 
Last edited:

Kizo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
59
Reaction score
26
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wholeheartedly recommend JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Kaiten. (Well, I recommend it to anyone.) To me, the series is a brilliant counterpart to Fist of the North Star; while Hokuto is all pure, manly, straightforward action (and is excellent in doing so), JoJo shines by focusing on the clever use of imaginative abilities.

Yes, JJBA is long, but I've found it well worth the read, and all those I know who have read it have felt the same.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Two more classics!

The influence of Captain Tsubasa (Takahashi Yoichi) around the world is huge. Manga wasn't as popular or accessible in the '80s, but the series influenced quite a number of well-known football/soccer players. Even Zidane was inspired to play soccer from the series!

For something completely different, there's Golgo 13 (Saito Takao). It first ran in 1969 and it's still going on. It's a classic but at the same time, it's also modern. There are 148 volumes released so far.
I'd like to read Golgo 13, someday. Among the many series I'd like to read. I played the video game when I was a kid, when it was randomly released on NES.

The out of proportion heads of Captain Tsubasa kind of turned me off. I know it's a classic but I can't get over that >.>

I wholeheartedly recommend JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Kaiten. (Well, I recommend it to anyone.) To me, the series is a brilliant counterpart to Fist of the North Star; while Hokuto is all pure, manly, straightforward action (and is excellent in doing so), JoJo shines by focusing on the clever use of imaginative abilities.

Yes, JJBA is long, but I've found it well worth the read, and all those I know who have read it have felt the same.
I love Arakai's art, part of the lure for me. It seems like a throwback to another era of Jump, when more violence and adult content was allowed. I'm intrigued. I'll probably have to take breaks between parts though. Besides, I'd like to be able to say I read the Les Miserables of shonen :p

Speaking of Hokuto no Ken, the group Editing it picked up another shonen classic, Violence Jack. I'll read chapter 1 tomorrow.
 
Last edited:

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I'd like to read Golgo 13, someday. Among the many series I'd like to read. I played the video game when I was a kid, when it was randomly released on NES.

The out of proportion heads of Captain Tsubasa kind of turned me off. I know it's a classic but I can't get over that >.>
I'm a huge nerd so Golgo 13's biblical themes are intriguing but at the same time, its length scares me. XD If it follows a case by case format rather than a linear plot, then it might be better. Was the game good?

I think the characters in Captain Tsubasa look cute! LOL It's the eyes.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Could be. Or maybe it's the hair :p

True, it's long, but only 4 volumes have been scanlated. I may read what's scanlated then hope for more. If more ever comes. A volume every couple of months would be manageable if someone picked it up. From what I hear it's episodic; there's no over arching story, Duke Togo kills someone, has a one night stand (maybe), and moves on to the next mission.

I read chapter 1 of Violence Jack. Hard to judge based on one chapter. But the world did end by the end of the chapter. Usually a sign of quality. I should probably read Devilman while I wait for chapter 2.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Reading scalantions that are available at the moment wouldn't be so bad then. With the series being nearly four decades old, I had a feeling it might have to be episodic. Even Kochikame (another classic/modern manga!) follows a case-by-case format.

Violence Jack has had several serializations so I'll probably stick with reading the main story when I get a chance. I wouldn't want a dystopian world in real life, but I do like reading about it. Devilman sounds intersting too!

After doing some research, I can't believe Nakai Go also created Cutey Honey!
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
While Nagai Go's art is a little dated, the stories do hold up. Modern action, or whatever genre he was working in, really hasn't changed much from his day it seems. The main story of Violence Jack is the one being translated now, I'm skipping all of the spin-offs, sequels, etc. also. I'll take a look at Cutie Honey soon, seems to be fully scanlated.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I usually skip spin-offs or sequels unless I'm obsessed with the series. I'm glad that Nagai Go's stories aren't too different from what we have today. Although I'm expecting a different feel from early mangas, it's nice to have some sense of familiarity. With any classic shoujo though, I jump right in!

From what I know about Cutie Honey, it's... sexy. XD Koda Kumi covered its OP theme if that gives any indication.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The biggest problem with Nagai from what I've noticed from him is he's a tad...obsessive in making things dark. Even things that don't deserve to be dark recently just became more like seinen series. Friend said that he was badly affected by the death of someone close and that may have made him like this...but sometimes even the masters have to leave well enough alone.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I usually skip spin-offs or sequels unless I'm obsessed with the series. I'm glad that Nagai Go's stories aren't too different from what we have today. Although I'm expecting a different feel from early mangas, it's nice to have some sense of familiarity. With any classic shoujo though, I jump right in!

From what I know about Cutie Honey, it's... sexy. XD Koda Kumi covered its OP theme if that gives any indication.
I like sexy :3c

I usually don't care much for spin-offs either. I will make an exception for Angel Heart, a spin off of City Hunter. It's supposed to be excellent.

The biggest problem with Nagai from what I've noticed from him is he's a tad...obsessive in making things dark. Even things that don't deserve to be dark recently just became more like seinen series. Friend said that he was badly affected by the death of someone close and that may have made him like this...but sometimes even the masters have to leave well enough alone.
Dark shonen were pretty common in the late 60's-early 70's. The gekiga movement was at it's peak then, influencing a lot of manga. Go Nagai was definitely trying to turn shonen into something grittier; less like Astro Boy more like Black Blizzard. I don't know much about his personal life, to be honest.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I like sexy :3c

Dark shonen were pretty common in the late 60's-early 70's. The gekiga movement was at it's peak then, influencing a lot of manga. Go Nagai was definitely trying to turn shonen into something grittier; less like Astro Boy more like Black Blizzard. I don't know much about his personal life, to be honest.
I don't mind the advancement of the genre, it's just that sometimes there are limits to even going back and adjusting the past...and sometimes that's what Nagai does. It's hard to say having not really read too much Nagai but I have a friend who has...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm just starting to read his work, I haven't really gotten a lot of perspective on his style.

The same group that picked up Violence Jack has started releasing chapters of an obscure Go Nagai series called Iyahaya Nantomo, seems worth giving a try. Even better, they also added Ashita no Joe, picking up where the last Manga Editors left off.


I read one of the strangest old manga I have ever seen last night: Human Clock. It was released in a pulp magazine in 1962 by what amounts to a hack mangaka. Ostensibly about the son of a clock maker who turns into a clock, the story is so incoherent, the art so erratic that what would have been a prosaic horror story is turned into a twisted, surreal, unintentional exploration of a warped mind. Character design and line work don't stay consistent from one frame to the next, the characters rarely even look human. The story proceeds with no logic, seeming to be more the ravings of a schizophrenic. The reality was that the author was a failing mangaka churning out quickie manga, living from pay check to pay check. By the time he wrote human clock he was essentially giving the middle finger to his readers, punishing them for rejecting his work. Human Clock is a good example of outsider art in manga, and an early (unintentional) example of heta uma (so bad it's good, an underground style of deliberately poor art. see Tokyo Zombie or I'll Give it My All..... Tomorrow).

Comipress has a great article about Human Clock mangaka Tokunan Seiichirō here. It's part of there Manga Zombie translation, a 1997 book about the pre-Dragonball manga hinterland.
 
Last edited:

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Lately I'm in a retro manga fever -or more specifically a Takahashi Rumiko phase- so I've been interested in reading works pre-1990. It's too bad that the Edited Mangas I've read come from the Viz volumes so the pages are flipped. It's probably not a big deal for some people, but I don't like it because manga is supposed to be read from right to left. I don't want to enjoy a manga differently from Japanese readers, and this includes how a page is read. /rant

I've already read some of Takahashi's short stories, and I'm currently reading Ningyo no Mori. Even though it's technically finished, it's apparently not completed according to her so it will be interesting to see how she will work on it if she decides to continue with it in the future.

All her other popular manga are quite long! >_< I do want to start from Urusei Yatsurei and work my way to Ranma 1/2 though.
 
Last edited:

jakensama

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
302
Reaction score
140
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Nausicaa, Rurouni Kenshin, Hoshin Engi.
 
Top