Coding knowledge for a blogger? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Coding knowledge for a blogger?

dogedoge

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
My sister wants to start her own blog, but she doesn't believe me when I tell her she doesn't have to be a super scientist/math nerd/geek to do this... she thinks it's all coding and basically what The Matrix looks like on a screen... Am I right in saying that she doesn't need to know anything like this, especially using WordPress?

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
This is a later reply, but you are right...there's no need for coding, especially since if you host your blog on wordpress, the platform will limit you in doing whatever you want...
There are endless tutorials on the net for setting up a blog, so youtube is a good start to prove your point to her

Kuroro

Reaction score
Country
France
Only a little of HTML/CSS is required to do modifications on a blog and it's super easy to both learn & understand.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Yep...some additional knowledge of the tech always helps, but Wordpress is very noob-proof and the tools are nice and usable without any of that

P e i n

Reaction score
Country
Yemen
There are a lot of platforms nowadays that bypass the need to know coding such as Wordpress. Everything there is made for people without any programming knowledge.

John Flume

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can basically start a blog using WordPress or Square Space, and they're pretty much drop and drag applications. It all depends what you want it for, but if you just want a basic text and image interface. As you blog more you'll probably want to do some slightly more complicated functions and for that, you might want to know some coding basics. But these are freely available all over the internet. Check the link below for some good resources to get you started.

https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/...-code-an-intro-on-how-to-get-the-basics-down/

Enola

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
You're right, Wordpress is the best idea in this case. This platform is used the most often for making non-commercial sites.

MotifSky

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
My sister wants to start her own blog, but she doesn't believe me when I tell her she doesn't have to be a super scientist/math nerd/geek to do this... she thinks it's all coding and basically what The Matrix looks like on a screen... Am I right in saying that she doesn't need to know anything like this, especially using WordPress?
You're totally right! Making new sites in general isn't such an easy thing but everything depends on which certain type you need. And in case of blogging together with many other types of sites you really don't need to be a professional web designer or a programmer because there a lot of simple tools for web building which are convinient even for total newbies :) WordPress is the best choice in this case, also Wix and Weebly. The last one isn't free but very cheap in case of price so can be a nice decision for making a separate blog too. All of them have very simple interface for using and there are also really many nice tutorials about working with them, personally I had very positive experience with WordPress and I've never planned to become a cool web designer :D
Even making a nice design with all that platforms isn't such a problem. Web templates are often recommended by experienced web builders for newbies and they're a cool alternative to expensive custom-designed sites. It's not a problem to find a wordpress design website with many types of templates as also in case of other platforms, some of them can be used for free too. Like in case of platforms they're ready design skeletons which are simple for changing according to your needs and tastes and again, no special skills are necessary here.
Also blogs can be made on the basis of such resources as Tumbler for example, it's even easier than in case of WorPress.

Last edited by a moderator: