Discussion Comparing Edens Zero to other Mashima works

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
This is the place to discuss similarities and difference between Edens Zero and other manga published by Hiro Mashima.

Suggested topics include, but not limited to:
  • How the narrative structure of previous Mashima works may be projected in EZ
  • What differences in Edens Zero are there in contrast to other Mashima works - what's new?
  • What positives/negatives do you have to say about EZ relative to Fairy Tail or Rave?
  • How well did EZ start compared to the others?

This thread can also be discuss comparisons to other shounen works provided Edens Zero remains relevant.
 
Last edited:

Gut's is the man

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 28, 2017
Messages
4,802
Reaction score
3,386
Age
29
Country
United States
Mashima likely copied Elcy design as a way to draw in fans and her role is minor at best.

Happy is a rather cheap recycle of a cute marketable character. Plue doesn't have a character and a creator thumbprint while happy was a character in his own right.
 

Deus

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 4, 2016
Messages
17
Reaction score
20
Age
29
Country
Dominican Republic
The thing happening with Weisz rn is like what happened with Musica in Rave
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Gabo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2015
Messages
1,111
Reaction score
2,111
Age
44
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Each story manages its own concept, they only pick up some things, but in the end they follow their own path, I like that of Mashima's works.

Still it remains to see what the plot of Edens Zero will be like, if he will go for a concept of the "Hero's Way" or if he will go more for the adventure.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,850
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's too early to really say for me. So far my impression is extremely positive. Much more positive than my impression of Rave Master or Fairy Tail was this early in the series.

There are definitely some things the show doesn't have right now that it needs to get at some point but we're only at chapter 4 right now. So that's not a huge concern for me yet.
 

Gut's is the man

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 28, 2017
Messages
4,802
Reaction score
3,386
Age
29
Country
United States
It's too early to really say for me. So far my impression is extremely positive. Much more positive than my impression of Rave Master or Fairy Tail was this early in the series.

There are definitely some things the show doesn't have right now that it needs to get at some point but we're only at chapter 4 right now. So that's not a huge concern for me yet.
I think that's because the series is always adding more and more every chapter. A new element appears every chapter and it feel like there actually a build up.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,850
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think that's because the series is always adding more and more every chapter. A new element appears every chapter and it feel like there actually a build up.
I agree and I think we won't really know what Eden's Zero truly is until we get everything Mashima is going to give us.

Like one of the things specifically I'm waiting for is a "home base". Whether that's a space station or a planet or a ship. It makes sense that would be something Shiki has to work toward. Much like the Merry Go and the Thousand Sunny in One Piece. That "home base" and other elements like it are going to have a huge impact on the series. And we're not quite to that point yet.
 

CyberLance

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2016
Messages
418
Reaction score
566
Age
38
Country
Sweden
Yea i wonder if the new ship they are going to get is going to be Shiki and the other characters home similar to the Thousand Sunny in One Piece or if they are going to find or create some other place they return to when they need to take a break from adventures.
I like it in different stuff when the characters got a home base they can return to and take it easy when they want to take a break from fighting bad guys.
And i think chapter 3 was supposed to tell us that the guild in Edens Zero wont be that kind of place for the characters in this series like the guild was in Fairy Tail.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'll add to this post later, but the main similarities is, obviously, in the character design.

His narrative structure, on the other hand, is way more experimental and fast paced than his previous works. The word technical also comes to mind, but the first major arc will confirm if that's the right word. I remember it being said that Fairy Tail was his light hearted series and was a break from Rave's tone. I haven't been keeping up with his thoughts, but I assume he's been planning this one for awhile and I assume he's planning to make it darker than Fairy Tail.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
I'll add to this post later, but the main similarities is, obviously, in the character design.

His narrative structure, on the other hand, is way more experimental and fast paced than his previous works. The word technical also comes to mind, but the first major arc will confirm if that's the right word. I remember it being said that Fairy Tail was his light hearted series and was a break from Rave's tone. I haven't been keeping up with his thoughts, but I assume he's been planning this one for awhile and I assume he's planning to make it darker than Fairy Tail.
Hopefully the story will be much darker.This will increase tension in the plot.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,850
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's interesting you guys say that. I don't really care either way about it being "darker". I'd be fine if he did and fine if he didn't. What I really want to see is a lot more emotional range from Shiki than Natsu had.

Natsu was always pretty much the same. He grew in power but not in emotional complexity. He had like 4-5 emotional states which he cycled through depending on what was going on. Which gave him his simple charm but also greatly limited the variety of stories that could be told with him.

My hope is that Shiki is going to have a lot more emotional variety and room for growth to him.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
It's interesting you guys say that. I don't really care either way about it being "darker". I'd be fine if he did and fine if he didn't. What I really want to see is a lot more emotional range from Shiki than Natsu had.

Natsu was always pretty much the same. He grew in power but not in emotional complexity. He had like 4-5 emotional states which he cycled through depending on what was going on. Which gave him his simple charm but also greatly limited the variety of stories that could be told with him.

My hope is that Shiki is going to have a lot more emotional variety and room for growth to him.
Natsu's only emotional complexity came when he turned END.He didn't hesitate to kill anyone.

But Shiki haven't shown any thing like that.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,850
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Natsu's only emotional complexity came when he turned END.He didn't hesitate to kill anyone.

But Shiki haven't shown any thing like that.
Yeah but I don't know that even that was really "complex". The problem with Natsu is that his entire emotional state was based off of a series of for the lack of a better word "moods". It's like a series of emotions that applied to everything. It's a very all or nothing approach. Lucy, Grey, and Erza were built much the same.

Most of the time he's in his happy "easy going" mood. Then when the tension goes up it's like a switch gets flipped and he goes to his "serious" mood.

Ideally I'd like Shiki not to do that. I want him reacting to the world around him in a more nuanced and less "one size fits all" kind of way. Like Mashima started to do with other characters. Gildarts, Laxus(later in his plot), Brandish, Tear, among others. Those characters all had more depth in the way they reacted to things and how the thing they experience effect them. Which I think is indicative of things Mashima got better at as he was writing the story of Fairy Tail.

I'm not expected the world here either. A ToG level of nuance probably wouldn't suit his storytelling style anyway. What I want to see him do are things like what he did with Flare Corona. That's a real character arc right there. And I want to see more of that kind of thing.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
Yeah but I don't know that even that was really "complex". The problem with Natsu is that his entire emotional state was based off of a series of for the lack of a better word "moods". It's like a series of emotions that applied to everything. It's a very all or nothing approach. Lucy, Grey, and Erza were built much the same.

Most of the time he's in his happy "easy going" mood. Then when the tension goes up it's like a switch gets flipped and he goes to his "serious" mood.

Ideally I'd like Shiki not to do that. I want him reacting to the world around him in a more nuanced and less "one size fits all" kind of way. Like Mashima started to do with other characters. Gildarts, Laxus(later in his plot), Brandish, Tear, among others. Those characters all had more depth in the way they reacted to things and how the thing they experience effect them. Which I think is indicative of things Mashima got better at as he was writing the story of Fairy Tail.

I'm not expected the world here either. A ToG level of nuance probably wouldn't suit his storytelling style anyway. What I want to see him do are things like what he did with Flare Corona. That's a real character arc right there. And I want to see more of that kind of thing.
Let him be like Violence then.TOG reference.
 

CyberLance

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2016
Messages
418
Reaction score
566
Age
38
Country
Sweden
It's interesting you guys say that. I don't really care either way about it being "darker". I'd be fine if he did and fine if he didn't. What I really want to see is a lot more emotional range from Shiki than Natsu had.

Natsu was always pretty much the same. He grew in power but not in emotional complexity. He had like 4-5 emotional states which he cycled through depending on what was going on. Which gave him his simple charm but also greatly limited the variety of stories that could be told with him.

My hope is that Shiki is going to have a lot more emotional variety and room for growth to him.
One of the big reasons why i loved and enjoyed Fairy Tail more than most of the other shounens is because it got a more colorful, happy, fun and enjoyable atmosphere to it and because the characters felt so much more fun, happy and lovable.
That other shounens are darker and more serious is one of the reasons why i did not like and enjoy them as much as Fairy Tail.
One Piece and Fairy Tail are my two favorite animes and mangas ever and both of those series got a way more happy and fun atmosphere and way more happy, fun and lovable characters than other series to me.
So far Edens Zero got the same fun atmosphere and the same fun and lovable characters that Fairy Tail had and thats how i want it to stay.
 

Infinity Edge

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2015
Messages
153
Reaction score
94
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I want to like this manga and follow it, but deep down I really am afraid that it will again end up just like Fairy Tail with millions of plot holes and bs powerups and so I am honestly scared to read it further....

The protagonist (Shiki) already has a insane power at his command too (Flying, Super Strength, Agility and able to create a mile+ radius crater with one attack), and Rebecca's cat seems to have become immortal, with how easily it comes back after an EMP blast, whereas in real life situation any living tissue attactched to a machine starts dying and detoriating very quickly if it gets cut of from it's life support. So in that scene Mashima already established that even if Happy gets turned off, his brain cells will not die and Happy will be very hard to kill/defeat
 

King Moe

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 29, 2018
Messages
5,924
Reaction score
3,413
Age
31
Country
United States
The difference you're sadly not comprehending here is that EZ is a battle shonen, not just any shonen where loved can implemented. I sure as hell hope not "love" is what EZ is all about.
Shounen have love in there. Where you been? There been characters in different series doing crushes, shipping, romantic moments, etc.. Saying you don't want that is kinda illogical as that never leave in Shounen at all. It can have it's battles, but doesn't mean love will mess with that with different themes like that.
 

Mirage

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
541
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Shounen have love in there. Where you been? There been characters in different series doing crushes, shipping, romantic moments, etc.. Saying you don't want that is kinda illogical as that never leave in Shounen at all. It can have it's battles, but doesn't mean love will mess with that with different themes like that.
Again, not grasping what I'm saying.

EZ is an action battle shonen. The main focus shouldn't be love. This isn't To-Love Ru.
 

King Moe

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 29, 2018
Messages
5,924
Reaction score
3,413
Age
31
Country
United States
Again, not grasping what I'm saying.

EZ is an action battle shonen. The main focus shouldn't be love. This isn't To-Love Ru.
Never said love will be main focus. He said it be in it. From what we seen, it's not all about love. Your worrying over nothing if love plays a very major role as it doesn't.

Also not great example you use. The series couldn't be far more different.
 

Mirage

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
541
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Never said love will be main focus. He said it be in it. From what we seen, it's not all about love. Your worrying over nothing if love plays a very major role as it doesn't.

Also not great example you use. The series couldn't be far more different.
It's the perfect example. They're both shonen, except one is battle oriented and the other isn't. One can be love oriented, one cannot or else it'll turn into mush.
 
Top