Cleaning - Complete Tutorial to Cleaning Manga for Zarosaki!!! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Cleaning Complete Tutorial to Cleaning Manga for Zarosaki!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaballer10

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Corresponding Reference: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=640.msg8225#msg8225

I tried to make this tutorial as easy to follow as (nearly) possible. So don't be startled by it being a little lengthy. :p

I've decided to clean Page 07 from Chapter 275.

This a pretty simple page, but it includes everything you need to know to clean ANY Naruto manga page.

I will be using ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CS2 for this tutorial. I'm not certain, but any version of Photoshop should be conformable for this tutorial.

Well, let's start.

1) First open up the page you want to clean. (275-07 in this case)

When you open the page, it will be in "Indexed Color" mode. We have to change it to "RGB Color Mode" to utilize all the tools we need. Do so by going to "Image > Mode > RGB Color"

2) After doing this, you'll notice the locked layer titled "Index" has now changed to "Background." This layer is still locked, so we need unlock it by double-clicking this "Background" layer. A new box will pop and ask you to rename the layer. Rename it to "Lineart". Note: You can actually rename this layer to whatever you want; it doesn't make a difference.
>>

Next set the mode of this layer from "Normal" to "Hard Light"

3) Now we need to remove the midtones. Midtones are any colors between black and white (basically the grey areas). To do this, select the Lasso Tool (by pressing "L"). With this tool, draw a circle around the grey areas. You will need to draw more than one circle, usually, so hold the "Shift" key while circling each if these grey areas. It should look like this:

Make sure to enclose the cricles

4) With these selected grey areas, make a new layer UNDER the "Lineart" layer. Now we are going to fill this layer with white. Go to "Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color."

Make sure you fill this layer with white (in the Color Picker).

5) After you've finished step four, the midtones should be cleaned from the page.

6) Now it's time to clean the black parts. Select the "Lineart" layer again and switch to the Magic Wand tool (by pressing "W"). Now select EVERY black area you see.

After selecting all the black areas, contract the areas by two pixels. Do so by going to "Select > Modify > Contract." Be sure to contract by 2.

7) Now fill these contracted areas with white. Do this pressing "ALT + Backspace." Note: Make sure white is the primary selected color. Now deselect these areas by clicking a random spot on the page (with the magic wand tool). Your page should now be cleaned of all the black areas.

You could be finished now, but to completely clean a page it is important to "fix up" the minor problems.

8) Notice Chiyo's Panel. There are many minor probs that need to be fixed.

First off, notice how there are "double-lines." These double lines are BAD! Coloring over these would be a big NO NO. Therefore, we need to only have "single-lines." There are many ways to do this, but the easiest way would be to simply delete one of the lines. NOTE: When I say, "delete" DO NOT use the eraser tool. Use the brush tool (with white selected as the color) and color over one of the lines.

Then we have the redrawing portion. Switch the color to black and draw needed black lines to make the pic look good. Make sure that when you redraw any lines that the brush tool is sized 1. Here's how mine's looks:

9) This step is basically the same as the step above; but it is just as crucial. Now look at Sasori's Panel.

Notice the blood dripping from his injury. These lines have to be removed. Also, these lines are exactly like ACTION LINES, so handle them accordingly. To remove these "action lines" (I guess :p), we have to color OVER them with black using the brush tool. It should look like this:

After you've done this, just contract the black parts and fill them with white (just like steps 6 and 7). Then fix up the white area by redrawing neccessary lines.

I just redrew the lines quickly, though it doesn't matter how neat it is. We'll fix all that stuff over at Zarosaki.

10) Finally, go to "File > Save As > Chapter-Page Number.png, upload to imageshack, and either post here or PM me.

If there are any problems with this tutorial, please make a post so I can better clarify. Thanx :amuse

Looking for a page to start on NOW?! Pick any page from chapters 276-current. Make sure to post that you're working on it, though. That way two people won't be working on the same page. :tem

THANX AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP AND SUPPORT!!!

clarity142 said:
hi eaballer,
I saw your cleaning tutorial and I happen to have a nice quick solution about removing the double-lines.

before picture,

First use the polygonal laso (add selection setting) and draw around the white lines. Then use the wand (add selection setting) and select the black parts. Do the Select > Modify > Contract by two pixels. Here's the fun part, go to Image> Adjustments > Invert.

after picture,
:amuse
Just a little helping hand. :amuse. Thanx Clarity142.

Image URL fixed - Zenith

nytrogyn

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
yea, thats what i do, i invert for the "black on black" parts, where there are white outlines

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Comes in handy :thumbs!

Good job on that - very helpful!

darkshador

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Poland
nice! that helped me a lot! well.... now i can clean manga!!!!

hanamaru

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
so helpfully...
thanx...

try first !!

toni783

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
thanks a lot for this , great tutorial XD, helps a lot

virbens

Reaction score
Country
United States
awesome thisll really help

hitsuchi

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
so helpfully

Akash

Reaction score
Country
India
hi,
is there anyway to convert grey lines to black on the cloth folds.

http://read.mangashare.com/Naruto/chapter-384/page002.html

i am not able to remove them using contract. what i did was used brush and pen tool to redraw all the grey lines. it took quite some time to do everything. is there any better way to clean this?

Twilightseeker

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
I don't get it im sorry to break this to u but this tutorial was screwed coz a cleaner is supposed to clean and make Edited Manga look good not delete everything like you did with the grey parts
really one should not refer to this tutorial im sorry

Name-Undecided

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have to agree. Removing all the greys and midtones "just because" is a bad, bad thing.

sh1no

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
yeah i agree with you.
cleaners is cleaner, not a redrawer~
here my new cleaning technic that i use. http://darkphantom.co.cc
my naruto 502 is much better than mangastream have~

Sir Eagle

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I agree. Why would you delete the bloodstains and replace them with just contours. That's bulls***, and looks crap too

zidane

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Geez, would you people please just stfu if you haven't been with the scene for long enough?
Zarosaki was a Naruto coloring group, an epic one at that. This tutorial is for preparing images to be colored, so of course they'll remove unnecessary details and midtones to "line" the image for coloring.
Know your shit before you start trash-talking others.

Last edited:

Sir Eagle

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
It doesn't say so in the tut itself, the title is tutorial to cleaning, not tutorial to cleaning before coloring, right? So people just misunderstood. and btw, just because I haven't been around on the forum that long doesn't mean I've read about 50 different titles. Don't judge people on their postcount

zidane

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
The title says "Cleaning Manga for Zarosaki", not cleaning in general. Back in the day everyone knew what kind of group Zarosaki was, hence why I said, people who haven't been around for so long shouldn't be trash-talking others.

What's the point of beating a dead horse anyway, you keep posting in threads that are dated to way back in 2006. People from back then most likely aren't around anymore, so stop your spamming-spree and don't expect anyone to reupload images for tutorials from back then. Besides, the techniques are way outdated anyway.

Last edited:

Sir Eagle

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
All I'm asking is to not judge people just because they have a certain amount of posts or don't know the name of one group.

And besides, I'm not spamming. I'm giving my opinion on something I apperantly misunderstood. Stop bitching about this, it's pointless, you said so yourself.

And about posting in old topics, that's because I'm making a database, and I want the links to work. If people don't want to refresh them, it's fine. I just want to make sure as much as possible of the tuts have working links.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.