Done Contraction or colloquial phrase?

scrubb

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 5, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
4
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Context: One member of a band who had been out of sorts due to a breakup has rededicated himself to his work as a musician, vowing to leave his breakup in the past. His bandmembers are glad to have their friend back in top form. To which he responds (Shiina is the main songwriter)

シーナ君ヤスまもっち。今までごめん。これからは仕事一筋だから...

Now, what the heck does ヤスまもっち mean? Is it a contraction of some fixed phrase? A colloquialism? It's typed out the way it appears in the text.

Thanks in advance!

-S
 

WinningDays

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2009
Messages
97
Reaction score
256
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
What are the names of the other band members? One could have yasu in their name and the other could be Mamoru or something... I've never heard of yasumamocchi either, so that's the only thing I can think of...
 

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hmm, yasuku suman mochiron? Just a wild guess...

If you find the answer elsewhere, please post it here too. If it's slang, I'm curious.
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
ヤスまもっち is not a normal phrase or a slang. もっち can be just the goofy suffix that the character uses. ヤスま Yasuma part is probably 休む yasumu (to rest/to take a break).もっち motchi part probably does not mean anything.... just like all the suffix seen in Tamagotchi (the egg shaped electric toy) characters' names and speeches. This is my best guess without reading the original text.
 

scrubb

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 5, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
4
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
What are the names of the other band members? One could have yasu in their name and the other could be Mamoru or something... I've never heard of yasumamocchi either, so that's the only thing I can think of...
None of the other band members have been named yet. However, it is written as three lines in vertical text. You might be on to something here. っち is an affectionate suffix for names. Unfortunately, since they don't use any (helpful) punctuation, I still can't be sure. =( Maybe their names are mentioned in a later chapter...I'll try reading ahead and see if that yields anything.
 
Last edited:

Asian Cait Sith

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 21, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
「まもっち」is a slang for 「守る(まもる)」
So I believe it means;

休みを守ってくれてありがとう。
Thank you for keeping things in order while I was gone.


Without reading the original source, I cant say for sure though.
 
Top