Society - Coronavirus Hangout | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Society Coronavirus Hangout

Are you vaccinated?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I would be if I had access

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crescent Jinx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Normal flu is pretty bad. It can kill pediatrics too.... which this doesn’t tend to do. Mainly we have things like herd immunity, vaccines, antivirals, etc... to help against it. Plus there are a lot of different strains of flu and some are more severe then others and the less severe ones are more common. So it doesn’t seem that bad. We also keep making vaccines for it and it keeps coming back every year. So it becomes more of an annoyance to the population then a sign of the apocalypse.

The novel virus was bad in the beginning because upper respiratory (easiest to spread) and we don’t have immunity (natural or acquired) to stop or slow it down due to its novelty. So it’s got a really high transition rate. (Thankfully it’s not as high as measles - which has an outrageous infection rate.) The fact that cities were locked down and it still managed to infect the whole world shows that it’s truly infectious. But the thing about corona is it also got more severe after it’s mutation that caused the second strain. Increasing the lethality of it. And now it seems like it wants to mutate again. Also since becoming a pandemic illness, it can cause cytokine storms in young people. Which can kill. And not just anyone but people with good immune systems. People are starting to realize that now and think cytokine storm syndrome treatments can be used to treat severe cases of covid-19.

The really scary thing about a cytokine storm is that a young person can have a mild case of the disease and boom your organs start failing. That’s why it’s improtant to check your serum ferritin if you get a bad case. Or if your symptoms change from mild to worse.

Young people can also have asthma, anemia, clotting disorders (a female coworker younger then me has a clotting disorder because of her birth control), smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure.

Covid-19 also seems to want to target men more then women. Which I have never heard the flu selecting for. (Theories include of women having an extra X chromosome to fight the new disease).

But yea. It’s going to take years of study and also looking at genetics and culture and stuff before we grasp the true danger level of the disease.

But if it helps people make better decisions about their lives and the lives of other people.... then yes... it’s worse then flu.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also with the Spanish flu, you had multiple waves. You had a wave. It went away. The virus mutated... then came again. And again. We are still in the first wave of this one. The potential could be there to mutate so drastically that we get a new, worse strain after everyone starts coming out of their lockdowns.

Which is why governments have mentioned we could be still battling this 18 months from now. Or that it might become seasonal.

But at that point, our hospitals will have more ventilators, supplies, treatments options. Plus even without a vaccine, since most of the population will get infected at some point... herd immunity will start playing a role. And protect those most vulnerable. (not to mention that a lot of people will have already died at that point).

The best thing right now is to keep the hospitals from overloading. Not doing risky behaviors and stay healthy and keep away from other people. It actually will make the pandemic last longer but it will help protect healthcare workers right now. And save lives by delaying the virus from spreading any more in the future. Because people who are already infected are already infected right now. They just may not have signs yet. The next two weeks we will get the people who were infected this past week. It’s going to take a few weeks of lockdown before new cases start to decline.

Hospitals already have to deliver babies, perform surgery, treat heart attacks, treat burn victims, and care for a ton of other things.

The fact that most countries are pulling out laws from World War II and converting production to hospitals supplies and ventilators and drafting retired medical people. And potentially drafting people who lost their jobs into the medical field. Plus calling on reserve medical military. Shows that we are in a war. Not a war like any other. But a war of health. And in war, it’s not just the job of the people on the frontlines to take care of the problem. It’s the job of everyone.

My dad and I handed out masks from his doomsday bird flu/zombie Apocalypse reserve in our barn. They are 10-15 years old but they are the good N95 kind. Some nurses were breaking down crying and thanking me. Because we don’t have the medical supplies in rural Mississippi. We don’t even have the protection like you see on tv. And we aren’t going to be getting them. Because they are going to be sent to the large and rich states like New York, California, Florida, etc.... they talk about hospitals in New Orleans running out of supplies in a week and New York running out of supplies now. We barely have supplies on a day-to-day basis to begin with.

So yea. I want people to take this stuff more seriously. Because I’m a young and healthy person but I’m also a healthcare worker. And I could die from this or pick it up from the hospital and bring it to my family. And mad at people not taking it seriously.

TrienDarkform

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been in self-isolation due to earlier travel, and starting to get stir crazy (and all the stuff I wanted to work on around the house would have required something or other from the hardware store, so grrrrr), but today is the last day of the two-week period, and so far nothing's popped up. Tomorrow it's back to work, though only seeing emergencies; any elective treatment is postponed indefinitely until we get told otherwise.

Do have a small stock of PPE supplies at the office which will last for a short while (but for which we have no idea bout timeframe for restocking, obviously), but will have to see exactly how fast we end up going through them, as well as potential needs from other clinics and healthcare facilities in town as well. No reported cases in the area as of yet.

Work together, don't take stupid risks, but don't be panicking either.

McNuss

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
This is going to be a very hard year for me. I live alone on 34 m². I don't think any of the measures will only last for 14 days, our government is basically acting on a movie script, first they threaten with measures, then they perform these measures, next they will extend them. This is done so that even the dumbest oaf realizes how serious this is, and trust me many people are dumb as shit.

I am also very angry about this. For decades people tried to make money with Healthcare. Instead of creating enough capacities, high standards and good and safe conditions for the workers, they only cared about profits.

This year I will have to isolate myself from all my friends, but from next year on I will isolate myself from anyone who votes conservative (CDU) or liberal (FDP), on top of the right-wing populists (Afd) which I already shun. I will also give everyone who votes Social Democrats or Greens a serious warning because these two parties, too, show no real care for actual changes in our Healthcare.

And in almost every other part of the world it is even worse.

I will no longer tolerate greed in fields that deal with elementary human rights, such as the right to our health! Anyone who thinks that one can make money with Healthcare is an enemy to all of humanity and needs to be put into the darkest corner of society, and not on top of it!!!

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Watching cnn and Sanjay Gupta everyday is taking a toll. On the bright side, I get to see Kaitlan Collins every day. Waifu

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Police department and hospital personnel getting sick. This is really bad. NY has half the cases in the US

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
YIKES.

On one hand, great to see the movie doing well..... On the other though.... At this rate, it's going to take the government in a couple of days to shut down the viewing.
I am really worried about Japan. Many people might know that right-wing populists like Trump and Bolsonaro completely fucked up by not treating the virus seriously.

What many people don't know however, is that the Japanese PM, Shinzo Abe, isn't just a right wing populist, he is a fascist. He and the majority of his ministers belong to a lobby, Nippon Kaigi, that jerks off on WWII Japan.

The fact that he still hasn't shut down even Tokyo speaks for itself.

I can just hope that the manga companies have ordered home office for everyone. Does anyone have any news regarding this?

Vici

Reaction score
Country
Pyke

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Funnily, I think one or two oldest living people are smokers

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The hell is with the states right now? :notrust

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
President playing it as hoax at first
At least four republican senators playing it as hoax before selling stocks
News or CDC claiming young people are safe or won't die
Gen Z going on spring break regardless because the fuckers can't wait for one year for another spring break
Spring breakers not being quarantined where they partied
Places like airports not planning well enough so thus, people are packed like sardines
People refusing to stay home
Medical workers not having proper PPE
President being a dumbfuck

Take your pick Reebles.

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
So i hear now the Corona virus might keep coming back like a seansonal flu. Anyone hear anything regarding that?

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
So i hear now the Corona virus might keep coming back like a seansonal flu. Anyone hear anything regarding that?
It'll come in waves, at least. Hopefully having been infected once will mean immunity or at least resistance against upcoming waves, but I don't think they can say that for sure yet (?). But since it will most likely keep mutating, we'd sure better hope so.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
People are discussing that possibility, but I've read that it seems the virus mutates rather slowly. For instance, Influenza mutates at least twice as fast as what SARS2 has been shown to do so far. There are also early studies that suggest that "healthy" people who've had the virus and recovered aren't at risk of getting reinfected, but it's a higher possibility for the immunocompromised. Even if that's the case, as long as more and more people aren't capable of getting infected and spreading it due to herd immunity, those in vulnerable demographics will also be at lower risk. And obviously a vaccine will help that even further.

Coronavirus outbreaks aren't new, this is the third one we've had since 2003. So it seems likely that this pattern might continue as long as there are still people insistent on eating exotic animals for no reason or kissing their camels or drinking it's urine... you know, normal stuff...

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Yeah, feels great that the open live meat markets are running again (still?) as if nothing happened...

A professor calculated that by the end of April half of our population is expected to be infected. By the end if May, about 75%. So yeah, building herd immunity and all, but I just hope the death figures won't shoot upwards too much since we've so far been able to keep a relatively flat curve compared to many EU countries..

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Medical workers not having proper PPE
I caught a worker carrying a someone’s urine who has another bad disease (not corona but something else that would make you guys scream) and they didn’t have any gloves on. And the urine was leaking from the cup too. Then she wanted to touch my pen! And got pissy when I wouldn’t hand it to her. People are so nasty.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I caught a worker carrying a someone’s urine who has another bad disease (not corona but something else that would make you guys scream) and they didn’t have any gloves on. And the urine was leaking from the cup too. Then she wanted to touch my pen! And got pissy when I wouldn’t hand it to her. People are so nasty.
Even if there wasn't a bad disease involved it would still be nasty D:

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I'm willing to bet that'll happen as well.
shouldn't that be a reportable hazard? Fireable offense? Jailtime?