Theory - Could Nami be into girls? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Could Nami be into girls?

Grandmaster Woro

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
nami is probably similar to zoro. They don't really care about romance, but they are not oblivious to it like luffy

SirJack

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
"Luffy was interested, but not entranced, by Hancock". Whatever that means.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I would maintain that nami is not presented in any way, shape or context any different from any other female in this series. To the point that if any of this is evidence of nami's sexuality then literally any other female in the series will also be one. Ultimately oda plays sexuality in the series for laughs.. That's why nami gave luffy a nose bleed at some point in the series but in another luffy can't tell hancock is a thirsty biological female...

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I would maintain that nami is not presented in any way, shape or context any different from any other female in this series. To the point that if any of this is evidence of nami's sexuality then literally any other female in the series will also be one. Ultimately oda plays sexuality in the series for laughs.. That's why nami gave luffy a nose bleed at some point in the series but in another luffy can't tell hancock is a thirsty biological female...
I think Oda said that Luffy peeped and had a nosebleed only because others were doing it. If he accidentally came across Nami naked by himself, he likely wouldn't have a nosebleed. That said, I don't think Nami's a lesbian. Bisexual maybe, but she doesn't have a problem with admitting that women are hot. She also seems to be pro-woman, likely because of her foster mom and no woman ever mistreating her. I mean, she's one of the few people to not say Lola or Kokoro are ugly and got mad when others did.

Plus, Khalifa is hot af, who wouldn't think her sexy?

McNuss

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I don't think there will ever be any explicit romance between the main characters of One Piece but I still think that Nami is going to stay with Luffy.

Luffy is an adventure lunatic, the scenario of him sitting idle on a peaceful island is nigh impossible as is the scenario of him actually becoming any kind of actively ruling King.

However the world of One Piece is 95% Water, and can only be traveled via ship. Luffy can't navigate and he also can't swim. He almost died a chapter into the story and was lucky to find the navigator Koby after surviving via sheer luck.

So in order to continue adventuring, Luffy will permanently need a navigator, that crewmember cannot leave him to become anything else.

As for Hancock, the entire character arc has to be that she needs to realize what true love is. Luffy never shows sexual interest but in this case it is so obvious that one could never see the most free man in the world fullfil any of her desires.

I think there is a huge chance that Hancock will actually end up with Koby. They are already about to encounter each other, and remember how Koby started with the "most beautiful woman" Alvida? It could all come full circle here.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I think her love for Luffy is true love? She seems to love him because he's a good person, and because of who he is. I can see Luffy being calmer when he either gets older or finally becomes the Pirate King, as he wouldn't really have a goal to sail towards.

SirJack

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Nami has never shown any attraction for any man.

Compare her to almost any other female "lead" in shonen...

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nami definitely behaves like an old man sometimes when she comes across a sexy female character. Whether or not she's into girls is not really important to the story. Oda doesn't really address romance in this series too often, even Hancock's infatuation with Luffy is played off as a gag.

As the story progresses, we may see a few some more instances of Nami being in awe of female characters but Oda won't take it anywhere.

SirJack

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Nami definitely behaves like an old man sometimes when she comes across a sexy female character. Whether or not she's into girls is not really important to the story.
Oh yeah, we all agree on that tbh

Oda doesn't really address romance in this series too often, even Hancock's infatuation with Luffy is played off as a gag.

As the story progresses, we may see a few some more instances of Nami being in awe of female characters but Oda won't take it anywhere.
Probably. It kinda reminds me of Dragonball at times. Romance and relationships are only played as gag material, and when characters do get together it doesn't really go anywhere, the female character often get sidelined too (Chichi for instance). Like, we had to wait for Dragonball Super to see some character development in that sense, and again it's only Vegeta.

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think her love for Luffy is true love? She seems to love him because he's a good person, and because of who he is. I can see Luffy being calmer when he either gets older or finally becomes the Pirate King, as he wouldn't really have a goal to sail towards.
We do have the Canon age 40 and 60 looks for Luffy and it doesn't really look like he is about to change much. In fact he looks almost the same as he looks now at age 40 so I can't think of his personality changing much at all. Luffy is Luffy and quite frankly I don't think the One Piece is that important to him. Like of course it is super duper important to him. But if there would be no One Piece in the first place, Luffy would still be a Pirate and just do something else. Becoming a Pirate came first after all, inspired by Shanks.

The One Piece or becoming Pirate King is most likely not what either he or Roger said to Ace/Sabo;Whitebeard/Oden, as there would be no reason to omit something that is already so well known, then put emphasis on it by replicating the scene and omitting it again.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Oh yeah, we all agree on that tbh

Probably. It kinda reminds me of Dragonball at times. Romance and relationships are only played as gag material, and when characters do get together it doesn't really go anywhere, the female character often get sidelined too (Chichi for instance). Like, we had to wait for Dragonball Super to see some character development in that sense, and again it's only Vegeta.
It is definitely not like Dragon Ball. Oda keeps explicit romance away from the main characters, but even here he has made a huge exception with Sanji and Pudding in WCI and a minor one with Chopper and Milky in Zou.

There is also Rayleigh and Shakky, Bege and Chiffon, Igaram and Terracotta and Aladine and Praline who are a married couples, though quite frankly few characters are married in general in the story. Usually we have Kings but their wives are dead.

Vivi also said she has someone in mind.

I do think Smoker and Hina have (or had) a very lowkey and strange romance though. I also think the same is true for Kokoro and Tom although Tom is not the grandfather of Chimney.

It is also implied Doffy abused Viola who possibly developed some kind of Stockholm syndrome as all the Donquixote family members suffer from one or many various mental illnesses. In the SBS regarding this, Oda explains that there is a limit to what he can show due to the target audience of Jump.

Also:

Usopp

• Age 40: The pirate flag is calling out to me!!
  • Age 60: Yeah, I'm starting to miss her!!
This more or less implies Usopp is going to hook up with someone (most likely Kaya) but leave her for the Sea just like his dad.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Well, DBZ, and we see Vegeta finally admit his love for his son and wife before his kamikaze.

I think romance will be Oda's last focus since there's no reason to really care for now. None of the Straw Hats will have time for romance, except for maybe Sanji, and Nami most likely won't trust any man that's not in the crew, not so easily, if she's not a lesbian.

We do have the Canon age 40 and 60 looks for Luffy and it doesn't really look like he is about to change much. In fact he looks almost the same as he looks now at age 40 so I can't think of his personality changing much at all. Luffy is Luffy and quite frankly I don't think the One Piece is that important to him. Like of course it is super duper important to him. But if there would be no One Piece in the first place, Luffy would still be a Pirate and just do something else. Becoming a Pirate came first after all, inspired by Shanks.

The One Piece or becoming Pirate King is most likely not what either he or Roger said to Ace/Sabo;Whitebeard/Oden, as there would be no reason to omit something that is already so well known, then put emphasis on it by replicating the scene and omitting it again.
He looks a bit more mature and serious at those ages though. Plus, I"m sure Roger was thought of the same way, probably. Luffy would probably aim to be the strongest pirate and travel everywhere, like Roger before the illness and Whitebeard. It wouldn't really cancel any possibility of Luffy having romance, whether with Hancock or even Nami, but I don't see him and Nami ending up together, if at all.

SirJack

Reaction score
Country
Italy
What I was trying to say is that According to shonen tropes, Luffy x Hancock is the most common outcome. Nami on the other hand, has never EVER shown any interest into guys.

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
It is also implied Doffy abused Viola who possibly developed some kind of Stockholm syndrome as all the Donquixote family members suffer from one or many various mental illnesses. In the SBS regarding this, Oda explains that there is a limit to what he can show due to the target audience of Jump.
I don't think Viola had Stockholm Syndrome... she was a double agent, which included seducing Doflamingo.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Yup, it's a strong pure platonic bond. That was solidified when Luffy placed his STraw Hat on Nami's Head, & proceeded to challenge & defeat Arlong.

But to answer the threads question....I dont think Nami is truly into girls, but I can totally see her being flattered & even flirting with another women who is..

dame0989

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Botswana
hmm i started thinking when nami bought "pride" bra in logue town clothing shop

if i ain't wrong its about 1-100 episode i forgot, imma research back

WILDCARD 1 7

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Nami being a lesbian
Sanji liked that
Sanji disliked that lol

Australopithecus

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I can't believe a discussion about this exists 😶 lmao this thread is a def no for me 😂 NAMI is interested in money 💰 and oranges 🍊

Vanshrimp

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
i don't think so, i honestly believe she is not for any kind of relationship of that kind (neither with boys nor girls...)

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am pretty sure oda makes all females in the story to some capacity attracted to other females. But not in an inclusive way, more in a rule 34 kinda way.