Special Countdown to 1000

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
My brother used to buy some manga volumes. I started reading it way back on 2002.
That's the earliest that anyone's mentioned here I think. Awesome.

Manga. Had the cleanest artwork at that time and found it easy and fun to read.
And what do you think of the manga now? as time has gone by Oda started making use of ALL panel space, putting in details and easter eggs, which personally I LOVE as just an added bonus or something to read up on but I do get the cluster that people describe it as too.

Anime but eventually dropped the anime for the manga
For OP at least, I feel that's a common theme(?). Not sure if everyone's reasoning for it is the same though. I just grew to hate both the in-episode fillers/added materials and filler arcs, it felt like a waste of budget for me; especially once I got to the stage where I was very clearly beyond the anime episodes. I have watched a youtube video that explains how OP episodes are budgeted (I'll try to find it again, if anyone is interested), which sort of helped ease some of my annoyance and Wano art production looks a lot better in general but yeah, I could go months without watching any episodes and it wouldn't really hit me. But shoutout to G-8 filler arc.

"he took that small flame of his life and turned it into a fire that engulfed the entire world.. I havent laughed so much, cried so much, or drank so much"...
This is one of those lines that you read and yes, you could just think "awesome" but it means so much more especially now with the flashbacks we've seen and maybe even before. A grown man, talking about the impact his captain had on his life, the world and you could feel his emotions so clearly on the page. It's bittersweet.

One thing on the march to 1000 I have to note - not a single one of my favourite arcs has happened post time skip. Truthfully, Marineford battle is there as well, just wasn't my thing. Wano might be the best post time skip arc, but even then the pacing has faltered, mostly in the pointless and overlong Oden flashback. Other than that one it's been decently paced I think.
I tend to agree. The way I always think about the series pre and post timeskip is like having 5-6 of your friends over for drinks, then one friend invites 2-3 more friends. At first it's cozy because you're still in this safe environment and you can all hear each other and everything is casual, until someone decides "yeah let's go to a club" where it's just hundreds of people, all different stages of inebriation. Sure it could be fun but you just no longer have that closeness anymore, everyone's drifting to different places.

That's how I feel about the story since the timeskip. It's still largely a good story, the issue is Oda's world has grown so much that we've moved from simply following this crew's adventure from island to island, to seeing the world around them move also and how those pieces somehow at some point will affect this group.
Yeah, it's cool at times, especially when it's a pay off or you learn information that feels you want to share with the crew (as you feel like you're part of the adventure with them) but then again you just want to see them sailing together (which we haven't seen since them arriving in Dressrosa) and exploring islands without the stakes being so high all the time now.
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
For OP at least, I feel that's a common theme(?). Not sure if everyone's reasoning for it is the same though. I just grew to hate both the in-episode fillers/added materials and filler arcs, it felt like a waste of budget for me; especially once I got to the stage where I was very clearly beyond the anime episodes. I have watched a youtube video that explains how OP episodes are budgeted (I'll try to find it again, if anyone is interested), which sort of helped ease some of my annoyance and Wano art production looks a lot better in general but yeah, I could go months without watching any episodes and it wouldn't really hit me. But shoutout to G-8 filler arc.
Tbh, I was young and didn't really understand manga. Eventually when I realized what manga was I was so impatient to know what happens next that I completely switched.

Haven't watched a full episode since Marineford. In terms of anime, I just watch clips. And I hate fillers. Like, a lot.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Don't have any quotes I can think of as a favorite, but I imagine as the series reaches it's ending, one will stick out that I like.

Not a big fan of the anime, too slow and drawn out from episode to episode. I did enjoy the animated films though, Stampede was great and amazing to watch on the big screen.

Actually began reading the series during the Thriller Bark arc, where the Strawhats meet Brooks and fight Moira. This was back in 2007 I believe, can't remember and could be wrong.

However, I grew on the series after the Impel Down and Marineford arcs took place. And going back to the very beginning afterwards from the Romance Dawn one-shot,vol. 1 and so on, I do appreciate Oda's commitment to the series. 20 years is a long time, especially considering this was the peak of his youthful years.

So, approaching the 1000th chapter, I personally would just want thank Oda for coming this far as a successful artist and writer. Oda has contributed something great to this industry and that's inspiring.

✌🏾🤓
 

I Am Atomic

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2014
Messages
2,377
Reaction score
3,208
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
And what do you think of the manga now? as time has gone by Oda started making use of ALL panel space, putting in details and easter eggs, which personally I LOVE as just an added bonus or something to read up on but I do get the cluster that people describe it as too.
For a new reader to jump from anime to manga at this stage will be difficult. My brother did that recently. He struggle to read it, and miss some details.
Yes like u said, since the world building is so huge, Oda has to put as much information as he can.

Personally, I like it. As a new manga reader OP initial chapters were the perfect start. Now even the smallest panels are filled with information. Missing them means you lose part of the story. That's why I even watch YouTube reviews and read this forum to see if I missed out on anything.

Also the cover story. What a unique method. Tell us relevant canon story taking place elsewhere without using up actual story pages.
 

thedude

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2014
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
3,045
Gender
Male
Country
United States
For what it's worth on the "manga vs anime", the anime was pretty damn great for awhile, and made the impact of some things a lot better. Luffy beating Crocodile to Dvoraks New World was epic. Some of the early emotional flashbacks were just that much more emotional. It's still good at times, but i'm checked out now with the super sayian animation they are adding to Zoro and others. Count me out for that crap.
 

Sachsenhesse

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
2,841
Reaction score
3,650
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Lowkey that's actually good, I'm always expecting dubs to just butcher whatever the original product is. In french, they had the original "We Are" theme but added "Memories" to play behind the opening narration, but slightly more upbeat.
I prefer our intro then probably 10 times more, even the motion into the sung intro is well done, while the french intro goes: intro,cut,other song. 🤔

But i'm like i said a totally sucker for the first german part with roger speaking before the backgroundmusic.
 

DrJakson87

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 31, 2020
Messages
27
Reaction score
29
Age
39
Country
Brazil
  • How did you discover the series? Was it a friend or just randomly?
A friend (so annoying) told me that OP was a good show. So I started reading the manga to prove that One Piece was a bad shonen. Perhaps I treated OP too harshly.
  • Did you start with the anime or manga?
Ony Manga. Always.
  • Do you recall the first chapter/episode you saw?
Romance Dawn, Ep. 1.
  • What about the series do you particularly like?
The entire plot, and how Oda can keep making me like story about a monkey-like guy who wants to become a Pirete King.
  • What is/are your favourite art pages/quotes from the series?
Blackbeard Mocktown Speech: "Sky Island does exist. Why the long face, lady? Those two won that fight. And the tongue lashing you gave them was pretty impressive too. This “New Era” they talk about is shit. The age where pirates’ dream is over!? Eh!? PEOPLE’S DREAM WILL NEVER END! Am I right? It ain’t easy to surpass a person. Let them laugh, if you seek the summit, you will find fights your fists alone could never take you to! Follow it!”
 

McNuss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 5, 2012
Messages
2,995
Reaction score
2,436
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
How did you discover the series? Was it a friend or just randomly?

It was fate. All these pirates and the dreams of being a King...

I actually had prepared a much longer answer here but I scrapped it as it got too personal and way too long. :D

But I think Oda and I worship the same thing, which is knowledge.

Did you start with the anime or manga?

I started with the anime when it first became available in Germany, when I was in elementary school. Probably around 2002/03.

Anime have a huuuuuuge history in Germany but most Germans are unaware. However Germany has no cartoon industry of its own, and when German television was created and the need for a Kinderprogramm arised, the Germans (and Austrians and Dutch and some more probably) commissioned the Japanese to make cartoons for them. So from the 70s till around 2000, German kids were socialized with Japanese anime, among them Heidi (from Miyazaki and Takahata of Studio Ghibli, later) and Alfred J Kwak and Biene Maja and most importantly, Wickie und die Starken Männer, which inspired One Piece.

In the 90s, when I was born, came Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball, though I was too young for Dragon Ball for quite some time. I did play Sailor Moon with my female friends though and know a lot about it despite having only seen one episode in which Queen Galaxia kills everyone.

Then during my last years of kindergarten came Pokémon (around 1998/99 I think) and it did pretty much wash away all the German-Japanese Animes and Disney cartoons that had dominated the previous decade.

From then on, real Japanese anime where the big thing for children. After Pokémon came Digimon Adventure 01&02 and then came a lot: Detektiv Conan, Beyblade, Inuyasha, Yu-Gi-Oh, tons of magical girl shows, Shinchan or whatever it is called (definitively not suited for elementary school kids), Ranma 1/2 (uncut, for elementary school kids ;)), multiple runs of Dragon Ball, even more Digimon, and of course: One Piece.

Some shows where cut American 4kids versions but the early German One Piece dub was really, really good. No censorship of blood or anything else, pretty good voice actors and a really good opening song. It was not the best German dub, that award goes to Detektiv Conan. But back then, of course One Piece was my favorite.

I swapped to the Manga when the anime would go on infinite repeat after the fillers after Alabasta arc.

It was not my first Manga, that was Dragon Ball "Zarbon and Dodoria", but I did not continue to buy Dragon Ball and instead read it at a friend.

When I bought the Manga, it must have been at the end of elementary school, I bought Vol 24 and then all following volumes until I had to wait for new releases. I also read a german version of jump, "Banzai", which featured Naruto, Shaman King, Hunter x Hunter, Sandland, Neko Majin Z, Yu-Gi-Oh, Hikaru no Go, Crewman3 (german), I''s and Black Cat. It eventually got canceled and I continued to read Shaman King, Naruto, Hunter x Hunter, and I''s (hehehe).

Up until I got 16 and my social life changed a lot with alcohol and cigarettes and parties and stuff, I spend most of my money on Manga.


Do you recall the first chapter/episode you saw?

First episode must have been somewhere during Syrup arc I think...but the television channel would repeat arcs a lot before moving on so I pretty much saw everything early early on.

First Volume was Vol. 24 which started right where the German anime dub stopped.

But the first chapter, I don't know as I bingeread pretty much everything in the store.

What about the series do you particularly like?

Everything. It matches with every single component of my life. I have followed this story for way too long to not get influenced by it, but everything that is central to it has been central to me before it came even into existence. I know the entire history of humanity from early on in my life, I am an atheist who decided on his own values, got socialized by exactly the right anime (Wickie), the first song I memorized at age two was the a pirate song for children and my first really big toy that I got gifted on my third birthday was a Playmobil (like Lego, but less about construction and more about roleplay, overall younger target audience) Pirate Island, which soon got accompanied by three ships. I could also be pretty tyrannical as a child and I still got a problem with certain authorities to this day.

Out of all these stories I listed above, only One Piece remains now and honestly I think it will be the last Manga I ever read. Well, I am gonna read HxH when it returns but I don't think it will ever get closure. Can't really get into the newer series. I have gotten old.

Part of me is anxious about its end, but another part of me is very eager to see it. One Piece has swallowed all other stories that once accompanied me so I am also curious what route my life will take once it is over.

What is/are your favourite art pages/quotes from the series?

Luffy's bounty posters

Merry Flying out of nowhere to save them all

Akainu fisting through Ace.

Ace dieing.

Jinbe reminding Luffy of this friends after Ace's death.

The feasts at Skypea arc.

Doflamingo's speech at Marineford.

Lots of Nami in skimpy outfits

Lots more might expand later.

Best Volume was 35 I think, "The Captain". I had to wait multiple months for the next volume, whith the prospect of Merry dieing and the crew breaking up.
 

Kouhei

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 27, 2012
Messages
29
Reaction score
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
  • How did you discover the series? Was it a friend or just randomly?
Like @Fox666, I started do read One Piece in 2001 or 2002. There's was an official release here in Brazil, good quality and affordable. Unfortunately it was canceled. The only successful mangas were Dragon Ball (Z too) and Saint Seiya.
  • Did you start with the anime or manga?
Manga.
  • Do you recall the first chapter/episode you saw?
The number 1. In Volume 1.
  • What about the series do you particularly like?
I love how the characters have their own personalities. East Blue arc surprised me because I never ever had read mangas were we have to think, theorize, and with such deep plot. My background was most likely full of battle shounen mangas. One Piece, like Naruto back in the days, did a step forward. It's heavy in certain aspects like racism, the "believe in your dreams" motto is not stupid, and even with a few mistakes, I think the evolution of the MCs is pretty good.
  • What is/are your favourite art pages/quotes from the series?
“Let them laugh! Anyone who wants to be a first-rate man, will encounter a time when there's no reason to fight back.” ― Blackbeard Marshall D Teach

 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I remember many details about how I discovered One Piece, so I'll just mix the questions up into my answer.

I discovered One Piece 17 years ago, back in a time when I didn't read any mangas nor watched any animes. I was very bored that specific year for unrelated reasons and I just happened to run into a Little Garden episode on TV. I instantly fell in love with Zoro slaying a triceratops and Sanji knocking out a T-Rex with a single kick, while Luffy just randomly used a diplodocus as a slide without a care in the world.

Over that year I collected every physical volume up to Enies Lobby and started reading the remaining chapters online. It was just before the glorious fights from that arc started and I have been reading the series weekly since then.


What is there not to love about One Piece? Some arcs can drag a little but that's to be expected from such a long, lore-rich manga.

If I had to point out the best things from the tip of my tongue, I'd say that it's the mixture of adventure, the surprisingly good world building and plot, and the badassery of some of the characters.

Only Oda can introduce 8 random new captains (the supernova) at the same time and make them all feel unique, interesting and cool. Both their designs and their powers. Only Oda can kill off a character as cool and Ace and somehow create Sabo, a character whose still differs greatly from Ace yet is just as cool as he was, in his own way.

I really admire Oda, and I could say that he's my second favorite mangaka.

I don't have any particular favorite page or quote, but I can say that, other than those quotes so notorious that anyone remembers, it's mostly Mihawk's and some of Zoro's quotes that have been engraved in my memorie. I really love those two.
 

Grandmaster Woro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2018
Messages
1,227
Reaction score
751
Age
41
Country
Austria
  • How did you discover the series? Was it a friend or just randomly?
From internet
  • Did you start with the anime or manga?
Manga. OP anime is garbage
  • Do you recall the first chapter/episode you saw?
Don't remember which chapter, but it was on davy back fight arc
  • What about the series do you particularly like?
Detailed background drawing, interesting power
  • What is/are your favourite art pages/quotes from the series?
Nothing happened...
 

Kouhei

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 27, 2012
Messages
29
Reaction score
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I've challenged myself to re-read all of One Piece chapters before the release of chapter 1000. If anyone wants to do this, take a look at this helpful info. Just don't know if I'll catch it before the release.

* dates are in portuguese (day, month, year)



 

djnhsly

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2020
Messages
65
Reaction score
71
Age
29
Country
Indonesia
  • How did you discover the series? Was it a friend or just randomly?
    • From TV, dubbed in Indonesian
  • Did you start with the anime or manga?
    • I started with anime like I mentioned above, then after time-skip, I just follow the manga. Now, I don't really follow anime anymore, except just to see some cool moments in manga get animated
  • Do you recall the first chapter/episode you saw?
    • First episode
  • What about the series do you particularly like?
    • Too many, especially the mysteries, like the meaning of D, things surrounding World Government, Void Century, etc.
  • What is/are your favorite art pages/quotes from the series?
    • Favorite quotes:
      • "Don't start a fight that you can't finish." - Sanji
      • "When the world shoves you around, you just gotta stand up and shove back. It's not like somebody's gonna save you if you start babbling excuses." - Zoro
    • Favorite art pages: Too many, but my favorite is the last page of chapter 989, when SH crews are standing together
 

Monox D. I-Fly

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
301
Reaction score
151
Age
36
Country
Indonesia
  • How did you discover the series? Was it a friend or just randomly?
    • From TV, dubbed in Indonesian
  • Did you start with the anime or manga?
    • I started with anime like I mentioned above, then once my friends got access to the manga, I tried to read from Volume 1.
  • Do you recall the first chapter/episode you saw?
    • The one with Susu the dog during the Buggy arc, but I wasn't interested back then.
  • What about the series do you particularly like?
    • The Battle Royale regarding the multiple factions and the relationships between those factions and characters. Even when it was still in East Blue saga, I was very impressed how Oda could relate them all together (Buggy was in the same pirate crew as Shanks, there was a battle between Morgan and Kuro's pirate crew, Straw Hats Pirates VS Don Krieg Armada VS Mihawk at Baratie, Nami's village was oppressed by a former subordinate of another Shichibukai like Mihawk, & Buggy's comeback at Loguetown).
  • What is/are your favorite art pages/quotes from the series?
    • Favorite quotes:
      • "When someone so proud is willing to lower their pride, it must be for the sake of someone else" - Mihawk
      • "You gotta do what I can't do and I gotta do what you can't do" - Sanji
    • Favorite art pages: When Zoro, Robin, Wiper, and Gan Forr pointed their weapons at Enel.
@djnhsly:
I'm sorry that I'm copying your format. It's just so happened that my answer to the first question was the same with yours, so I went along and copied the format until the last line.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I found One Piece when I was 12. I'm 28 now. I've been reading/watching One Piece for well more than half my life at this point. Crazy.

I was at a friend's house, back in early '05, and noticed his bookcase had a section of something which looked like my Dragonball collection. At this point in time, DB was the only manga I had ever read. He had a couple volumes of Ranma 1/2 as well as every volume of One Piece that were translated to Swedish at that point. I grabbed the first one, and was instantly hooked. I read the first 4 volumes that day, I think, while my friend played video games. I remember asking if I could borrow the rest of the volumes, but he wouldn't let me. So I kept reading them whenever I was as his place, until I reached the last one (it was the one introducing Blackbeard on Jaya).

I was obsessed at this point, and after reading the whole series again a couple of times I ended up finding the anime online, with fansubs. I started over from the very beginning. I caught up to the releases during Enies Lobby arc. That's when I had to start really searching for new releases on forums and, in a turn of events, ended up browsing MangaHelpers, realized there's also SCANL*TIONS OF THE MANGA ONLINE THANK YOU JEEBUS (I remember looking for the latest episode of the anime and seeing a panel from when the Straw Hats are outside the mansion at Thriller Bark and was like WAIT WHAT IS THIS? THIS HASN'T HAPPENED!) and well, the rest is history. I've been following the manga weekly since then.

It's rare that I can say about a series, that I can remember where I was and what I was doing when I was reading certain parts. But I feel like every part of One Piece, at least up until the time-skip, I can connect to something else in my life. The impact it's had on me is unparalleled by pretty much every series except Cowboy Bebop. So sorry guys for the long-winded nostalgia trip, but thanks @goldb for making this thread and letting me go down memory lane a bit. Hell, I didn't even answer your last questions, I already tried to be as brief as I could. :XD
 

djnhsly

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2020
Messages
65
Reaction score
71
Age
29
Country
Indonesia
  • How did you discover the series? Was it a friend or just randomly?
    • From TV, dubbed in Indonesian
  • Did you start with the anime or manga?
    • I started with anime like I mentioned above, then once my friends got access to the manga, I tried to read from Volume 1.
  • Do you recall the first chapter/episode you saw?
    • The one with Susu the dog during the Buggy arc, but I wasn't interested back then.
  • What about the series do you particularly like?
    • The Battle Royale regarding the multiple factions and the relationships between those factions and characters. Even when it was still in East Blue saga, I was very impressed how Oda could relate them all together (Buggy was in the same pirate crew as Shanks, there was a battle between Morgan and Kuro's pirate crew, Straw Hats Pirates VS Don Krieg Armada VS Mihawk at Baratie, Nami's village was oppressed by a former subordinate of another Shichibukai like Mihawk, & Buggy's comeback at Loguetown).
  • What is/are your favorite art pages/quotes from the series?
    • Favorite quotes:
      • "When someone so proud is willing to lower their pride, it must be for the sake of someone else" - Mihawk
      • "You gotta do what I can't do and I gotta do what you can't do" - Sanji
    • Favorite art pages: When Zoro, Robin, Wiper, and Gan Forr pointed their weapons at Enel.
@djnhsly:
I'm sorry that I'm copying your format. It's just so happened that my answer to the first question was the same with yours, so I went along and copied the format until the last line.
Watching it on RCTI, at Sunday morning. So nostalgic.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Also the cover story. What a unique method. Tell us relevant canon story taking place elsewhere without using up actual story pages.
I'll say this (and occasionally do bring it up), the cover story as a form of additional manga content is something I don't think gets enough acknowledgement. Probably because we only get one page a week of these stories spanning dozens of weeks.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Did you start with the anime or manga?

I started with the anime when it first became available in Germany, when I was in elementary school. Probably around 2002/03.

Anime have a huuuuuuge history in Germany but most Germans are unaware. However Germany has no cartoon industry of its own, and when German television was created and the need for a Kinderprogramm arised, the Germans (and Austrians and Dutch and some more probably) commissioned the Japanese to make cartoons for them. So from the 70s till around 2000, German kids were socialized with Japanese anime, among them Heidi (from Miyazaki and Takahata of Studio Ghibli, later) and Alfred J Kwak and Biene Maja and most importantly, Wickie und die Starken Männer, which inspired One Piece.

In the 90s, when I was born, came Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball, though I was too young for Dragon Ball for quite some time. I did play Sailor Moon with my female friends though and know a lot about it despite having only seen one episode in which Queen Galaxia kills everyone.

Then during my last years of kindergarten came Pokémon (around 1998/99 I think) and it did pretty much wash away all the German-Japanese Animes and Disney cartoons that had dominated the previous decade.

From then on, real Japanese anime where the big thing for children. After Pokémon came Digimon Adventure 01&02 and then came a lot: Detektiv Conan, Beyblade, Inuyasha, Yu-Gi-Oh, tons of magical girl shows, Shinchan or whatever it is called (definitively not suited for elementary school kids), Ranma 1/2 (uncut, for elementary school kids ;)), multiple runs of Dragon Ball, even more Digimon, and of course: One Piece.

Some shows where cut American 4kids versions but the early German One Piece dub was really, really good. No censorship of blood or anything else, pretty good voice actors and a really good opening song. It was not the best German dub, that award goes to Detektiv Conan. But back then, of course One Piece was my favorite.

I swapped to the Manga when the anime would go on infinite repeat after the fillers after Alabasta arc.

It was not my first Manga, that was Dragon Ball "Zarbon and Dodoria", but I did not continue to buy Dragon Ball and instead read it at a friend.

When I bought the Manga, it must have been at the end of elementary school, I bought Vol 24 and then all following volumes until I had to wait for new releases. I also read a german version of jump, "Banzai", which featured Naruto, Shaman King, Hunter x Hunter, Sandland, Neko Majin Z, Yu-Gi-Oh, Hikaru no Go, Crewman3 (german), I''s and Black Cat. It eventually got canceled and I continued to read Shaman King, Naruto, Hunter x Hunter, and I''s (hehehe).

Up until I got 16 and my social life changed a lot with alcohol and cigarettes and parties and stuff, I spend most of my money on Manga.
Anime has a huge history in french speaking countries too. My siblings having grown up in Belgium introduced me to a lot of the shows they were watching and then I saw a lot of anime growing up on french channels, so we share that. As you said kids born between 80s-00s really saw and benefited from that production plug to their lives. That was before our current society where it's just commonplace to find anything without wait for your country to commision production/dubbing or anything like that.

Do you recall the first chapter/episode you saw?

First episode must have been somewhere during Syrup arc I think...but the television channel would repeat arcs a lot before moving on so I pretty much saw everything early early on.

First Volume was Vol. 24 which started right where the German anime dub stopped.

But the first chapter, I don't know as I bingeread pretty much everything in the store.
Yeah the manga channel that I watched OP on also repeated a lot of the episodes around Baratie/Arlong Park arcs. It was frustrating because you'd tuned in the morning and it's the same episode you saw earlier on the week. New episodes were usually "premiered" in the evenings like onece a week. Very annoying, especially on holidays when all I wanted to do was binge-watch stuff.


Out of all these stories I listed above, only One Piece remains now and honestly I think it will be the last Manga I ever read. Well, I am gonna read HxH when it returns but I don't think it will ever get closure. Can't really get into the newer series. I have gotten old.

Part of me is anxious about its end, but another part of me is very eager to see it. One Piece has swallowed all other stories that once accompanied me so I am also curious what route my life will take once it is over.
I can relate here in terms of how I consume manga now. There's no manga that I can discuss on the level that I do of OP, even if I have look certain things for reference, I can recall a lot of detail of the series off the top of my head. There's no other series I actively read like this now ( I only catch up OPM, Golden Kamuy when I remember to, that's about it), it's the last of its "contemporaries" that has still maintained it's status and quality, with Bleach and Naruto having come to an end and being almost distant memories.

I wouldn't say I'm anxious about the series ending though, maybe it just hasn't hit me yet. Above all of that, I just want to carry on enjoying and discussing the series week to week because I know that once that is over, things won't be the same. I don't think there'll be a manga like this again. For me, anyway.


What is/are your favourite art pages/quotes from the series?

Luffy's bounty posters

Merry Flying out of nowhere to save them all

Akainu fisting through Ace.

Ace dieing.

Jinbe reminding Luffy of this friends after Ace's death.

The feasts at Skypea arc.

Doflamingo's speech at Marineford.

Lots of Nami in skimpy outfits

Lots more might expand later.

Best Volume was 35 I think, "The Captain". I had to wait multiple months for the next volume, whith the prospect of Merry dieing and the crew breaking up
I always love when bounty posters are revealed and the reaction of those close to our crew around the world.

I like everything else you listed there; some solid moments. I love this bonfire double page from Skypeia, it's one of my most memorable OP pages:



I would say my favourite volume is vol 45. I love the cover page, it's got an almost regal feeling to it. It completely stands out from the other covers around that arc and it features some of the most amazing moments in the story; Shanks meeting Whitebeard, the begining of the Ace v Blackbeard fight, Garp chasing Luffy, The thousand sunny, learning about the yonko, Zoro's speech to Luffy, the crew all getting their bounties, etc.
 

Grandmaster Woro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2018
Messages
1,227
Reaction score
751
Age
41
Country
Austria
i am not sure if oda can make the chapter 1000 as he planned (end of this year). But i guess it would also be hyped to start the new year 2021, which can be argued as the new decade, with the chapter 1000.
 
Top